Big 12 happenings

1,134,186 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Queen Egbo

Hannah Gusters

Link
https://baylorbears.com/news/2020/11/13/womens-basketball-wbbs-egbo-gusters-placed-on-leslie-award-watch-list-for-centers.aspx
slimecap

CLASS of 2021 NLI SIGNEES

Denae Fritz G 5-11 Maryville HS Maryville TN
Maggie Vick F 6-4 Lakeway Christian Academy Morristown TN
Izzi Zingaro F 6-4 Caledon Academy Bolton, Ontario, Canada

Denae Fritz Three-year starter averaged 21.1 points, 11.8 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.8 steals per contest in her junior campaign. Fritz earned Region MVP the last two seasons, while being named to the All-District team three times. Fritz was a runner-up for Miss Basketball last season in Tennessee, while earning All-State honors. Fritz is on pace to break Maryville High School's career rebound record this season. Despite being from Tennessee, Fritz was originally born in Ames, Iowa and both of her parents attended Iowa State University.

Maggie Vick Three-year starter is a two-time First-Team All-Conference performer and averaged 13.6 points, 8.9 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 1.3 steals per game in her junior season. Vick is a top-100 prospect on Prospects Nation, who helped lead her team to a 22-4 record and a NACA National Championship last season. She was named the MVP in the championship game last season and the best offensive player in the Tournament. Vick is currently the Lakeway Christian Academy's career rebounds and blocks record holder. Also an accomplished volleyball player, she was named First-Team All-Conference, and also holds the school's kills record.

Izzi Zingaro Three-year starter averaged 23.6 points, 15.3 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.9 steals per game for the Caledon last season. Zingaro has also competed with Canada Basketball on numerous occasions. In 2017 she was a member of the U15 Team Ontario squad that finished first in the National Championship. In 2018, they finished second, while she earned a spot on the First All-Star team, averaging 10.2 points per game and 5.8 rebounds. At the U17 National Championship she and Team Ontario finished fifth.

Link for entire Iowa State press release
https://cyclones.com/news/2020/11/11/womens-basketball-cyclones-ink-three-on-national-signing-day.aspx
geewago
Iowa State brings in 4 very promising freshmen this year including Ashley Joens sister and Lexi Donarski whom I suspect may get freshman of the year. She has the talent. The three they have signed for next year are not ranked nearly as high as last years class, but they have two 6' 4" posts in the package which has been one of there biggest needs. I feel like Izzi Zingaro from Canada may be a sleeper. I've watched a few of her videos and I'm fairly impressed. Iowa State is allowing 1400 to attend their games. The donors get first choice. If any are left over a few season ticket holders will get a shot. I believe I also read that 50 of that 1400 will be allotted to the visiting teams. So as a visitor if you do a little string pulling or boot legging you might get in.
Green&GoldStandard
geewago said:

Iowa State brings in 4 very promising freshmen this year including Ashley Joens sister and Lexi Donarski whom I suspect may get freshman of the year. She has the talent. The three they have signed for next year are not ranked nearly as high as last years class, but they have two 6' 4" posts in the package which has been one of there biggest needs. I feel like Izzi Zingaro from Canada may be a sleeper. I've watched a few of her videos and I'm fairly impressed. Iowa State is allowing 1400 to attend their games. The donors get first choice. If any are left over a few season ticket holders will get a shot. I believe I also read that 50 of that 1400 will be allotted to the visiting teams. So as a visitor if you do a little string pulling or boot legging you might get in.

Seems they hit the recruiting trail in Tennessee rather hard in 2021. Lots of good WBB played in that state.
geewago
Today Iowa State announced that only family members will be able to attend BB games. In Football the Band, Cheerleaders and family members will be all attending FB games. The chips just keep falling. We'll be fortunate if we get to watch the Lady Bears on ESPN+.
slimecap

Kaley Perkins G 6-1 Langham Creek HS Houston TX
Emma Svoboda F/C 6-3 La Quinta HS La Quinta CA
Kelbie Washington G 5-7 Norman HS Norman OK
Bre'yon White F 6-0 Shadow Creek HS Houston TX

Kaley Perkins Texas TGCA 6A All-State and All-Region selection. An all-around power, Perkins has averaged 16.3 points per game to go with 5.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 2.8 steals and 1.4 blocks per contest. She was also the Class 6A District 14 MVP and a First Team selection.

Emma Svoboda Averaged 19.9 points per game to go with 12.7 rebounds per contest. A seasoned defender, she has also accounted for 4.0 blocks per game. Svoboda led La Quinta to the CIF Southern Section Divsion 3A semifinals in 2019-20 and hit her 1,000th career point the same season. She was the Desert Empire League MVP, a Desert Empire League First Team member and a First Team All-CIF selection last season.

Kelbie Washington Two-time First Team All-COAC selection (2018 and 2020), a two-time COAC Defensive Player of the Year (2018 and 2019), a 2020 Big All-City First Team member and earned First Team All-State Tournament honors in 2019. Washington has scored 1,000 points in her prep career and averaged 13.2 per game to go with 3.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 4.3 steals.

Bre'yon White Scored over 1,000 points and pulled down over 1,000 rebounds. White has twice been named to the All-District First Team and in 2019-20, was tabbed a First Team All-Greater Houston and All-Region selection.

Link for entire Oklahoma press release
https://soonersports.com/news/2020/11/16/womens-basketball-sooners-sign-four-for-2021.aspx
Green&GoldStandard
slimecap said:

Svoboda...so Sherri finally signed somebody taller than 6'0"???

Kaley Perkins Texas TGCA 6A All-State and All-Region selection. An all-around power, Perkins has averaged 16.3 points per game to go with 5.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 2.8 steals and 1.4 blocks per contest. She was also the Class 6A District 14 MVP and a First Team selection.

Emma Svoboda Averaged 19.9 points per game to go with 12.7 rebounds per contest. A seasoned defender, she has also accounted for 4.0 blocks per game. Svoboda led La Quinta to the CIF Southern Section Divsion 3A semifinals in 2019-20 and hit her 1,000th career point the same season. She was the Desert Empire League MVP, a Desert Empire League First Team member and a First Team All-CIF selection last season.

Kelbie Washington Two-time First Team All-COAC selection (2018 and 2020), a two-time COAC Defensive Player of the Year (2018 and 2019), a 2020 Big All-City First Team member and earned First Team All-State Tournament honors in 2019. Washington has scored 1,000 points in her prep career and averaged 13.2 per game to go with 3.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 4.3 steals.

Bre'yon White Scored over 1,000 points and pulled down over 1,000 rebounds. White has twice been named to the All-District First Team and in 2019-20, was tabbed a First Team All-Greater Houston and All-Region selection.

https://soonersports.com/news/2020/11/16/womens-basketball-sooners-sign-four-for-2021.aspx

Green&GoldStandard
Green&GoldStandard said:

slimecap said:

Svoboda...so Sherri finally signed somebody taller than 6'0"???
slimecap

2020-21 ROSTER

"The Sooners open their season next Wednesday at home against Houston. OU's roster figures to be thin this year, with just 10 players listed as of Wednesday including one (Ana Llanusa) out for the season after recently undergoing surgery. Coale alluded to multiple players opting out for this season.

Two players Chloe Bloom (Virginia Commonwealth) and Aspen Williston (South Dakota) transferred this offseason. Though Coale didn't mention which players had opted out, three others Nydia Lampkin, Jessi Murcer and Ashlynn Dunbar who had eligibility remaining are no longer listed on the roster."

- Ryan Aber, The Oklahoman, 19 Nov 2020
slimecap

"Kim Mulkey just mentioned transfer Kamaria McDaniel is going to have ACL surgery in a few weeks, she wasn't going to play this season as a transfer from Penn State."

"Coach Mulkey mentioned McDaniel tore her ACL during a recent practice."

- David Smoak twitter feed, 24 Nov 2020
slimecap
Big 12 coaches preview the 2020-21 season

Order of Coaches
0:00 Kim Mulkey, Baylor
4:05 Krista Gerlich, Texas Tech
12:36 Sherri Coale, Oklahoma
22:30 Brandon Schneider, Kansas
31:30 Mike Carey, West Virginia
41:45 Jeff Mittie, Kansas State
53:30 Jim Littell, Oklahoma State
1:01:20 Bill Fennelly, Iowa State
1:12:05 Raegan Pebley, TCU
1:25:40 Vic Schaffer, Texas

Link for audio
https://big12sports.com/news/2020/11/17/big-12-womens-basketball-teleconference.aspx
slimecap

OPENER CANCELLED

"A few positive COVID-19 tests among Oklahoma State's women's basketball team earlier this week forced the team to cancel its opening game at Little Rock. The Cowgirls will now open their season with five home games before traveling to Norman on Dec. 15.

"I believe we would have liked to start on the road," OSU coach Jim Littell said. "Especially with some young players, to have them understand that before we go to a road game at Oklahoma, so I was disappointed we weren't able to play at UALR. (UALR is a) good team, well-coached and having that experience of going on the road one time. I think that is a big plus, so I wish we could have gone on the road and played."

- Ben Hutchens, ocolly.com, 19 Nov 2020
slimecap

AP TOP 25
Nov 10, 2020

01 South Carolina
02 Stanford
03 UConn
04 Baylor
05 Louisville
06 Mississippi State
07 Arizona
08 North Carolina State
09 UCLA
10 Oregon
11 Kentucky
12 Maryland
13 Texas A&M
14 Arkansas
15 Iowa State
16 Indiana
17 Northwestern
18 Oregon State
19 DePaul
20 Ohio State
21 Gonzaga
22 Notre Dame
23 Syracuse
24 Missouri State
25 Michigan

Others receiving votes
Texas 24, South Dakota 21, Florida St. 12, North Carolina 10, Arizona St. 6, Princeton 5,
Marquette 4, South Dakota St. 3, Boston College 2,
USouth Florida 1, Southern Cal 1, Rutgers 1, Tennessee 1, Duke 1.
slimecap
Nov 25, 2020
Halftime

slimecap

Pale Rider
Sheesh.
slimecap

geewago
slimecap said:

They had enough to play Wednesday. Now on Thursday they cant. You almost wonder if some of these teams just don't want to make trips or meet certain opponents.
Wichitabear
geewago said:

slimecap said:

They had enough to play Wednesday. Now on Thursday they cant. You almost wonder if some of these teams just don't want to make trips or meet certain opponents.
agree. But this virus hits quick. Just weird
Adriacus Peratuun
Sherri Coale Math:

Team Not Showing Up To Play with a C > Team Not Showing Up To Play with an L.

slimecap
OPENING DAY
Nov 25, 2020

Central Arkansas 37 @ Baylor 82
Omaha 43 @ Iowa State 69
Northern Colorado 62 @ Kansas 78
Houston 97 @ Oklahoma 85
Oklahoma State @ UA Little Rock Cancelled
Incarnate Word 59 @ TCU 84
SMU 51 @ Texas 90
UTRGV 56 @ Texas Tech 89
historian
geewago said:

slimecap said:

That seems to be the case with the teams that refused to play Baylor MBB this week. I think they were afraid of getting thumped on national TV.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Florda_mike
slimecap said:

OPENING DAY
Nov 25, 2020

Omaha 43 @ Iowa State 69
Houston 97 @ Oklahoma 85
SMU 51 @ Texas 90
UTRGV 56 @ Texas Tech 89

What's that UT vs SMU mean to ya???

Is SMU any good?

I'm watching out for UT now
Wichitabear
Florda_mike said:

slimecap said:

OPENING DAY
Nov 25, 2020

Omaha 43 @ Iowa State 69
Houston 97 @ Oklahoma 85
SMU 51 @ Texas 90
UTRGV 56 @ Texas Tech 89

What's that UT vs SMU mean to ya???

Is SMU any good?

I'm watching out for UT now
another year, they are going to be our competition. Watching ISU also
Adriacus Peratuun
There is a very high likelihood that both Nalyssa Smith [Baylor] and Charli Collier [UT] are advised at the end of this season to declare early for the WNBA Draft [both would be Top 5 picks in a really weak draft]. Both teams would be impacted [but UT far more]. The talent level at UT is not high. Collier & Taylor and a bunch of "others".

UT is 2-3 solid recruiting classes [plus transfers] away from competing for a Big XII championship in WBB.
Florda_mike
Adriacus Peratuun said:

There is a very high likelihood that both Nalyssa Smith [Baylor] and Charli Collier [UT] are advised at the end of this season to declare early for the WNBA Draft [both would be Top 5 picks in a really weak draft]. Both teams would be impacted [but UT far more]. The talent level at UT is not high. Collier & Taylor and a bunch of "others".

UT is 2-3 solid recruiting classes [plus transfers] away from competing for a Big XII championship in WBB.

Thanks

So 2023 or 2024 UT may catch up
Wichitabear
Florda_mike said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Thanks

So 2023 or 2024 UT may catch up
oh they will
gone to Tickfaw
One year at Baylor is worth about $60,000.

WNBA salaries, I think, are 55k per year?

And I don't think it's certain that the WNBA future is solid...

I wouldn't give up the degree for 10 years at $55K

But there's Europe...
fredbear
Don't think a player will give up BU basketball for WNBA. Has not happened yet has it? Senior year average of 8,000 per game verses empty arenas. Starring versus sitting on the bench. Can't see it at all. Give up BU degree for short career. WNBA is not nba or nfl. In fact, I could see didi staying an extra year at BU. Best basketball experience she will ever have. WNBA is a short sighted leap to unwatched basketball. 100 times more people witness NCAAW basketball final on TV than tune into the WNBA championship. No comparison.
Wichitabear
I don't know why but I really don't enjoy WNBA basketball.
Pale Rider
Wichitabear said:

I don't know why but I really don't enjoy WNBA basketball.

Me neither. Not at all.
Adriacus Peratuun
Y'all are living in the past.

Players today want two things: (1) play at the highest level, and (2) get paid.

The NCAA isn't the highest level, professional basketball is.

And it pays. Under the new CBA, the average salary in the WNBA is now $130,000. Over 75% of WNBA players also play overseas. The average overseas salaries are double the WNBA salaries. Diana Taurasi made $1,500,000 for one Winter season in Russia [on top of her WNBA salary]. Becky Hammon signed a five year $4,500,000 salary in Russia back when she was still playing [on top of her WNBA salaries]. Brittney Griner made $600,000 on her first year contract overseas and that annual amount has climbed steadily. Most bottom tier players earn at least $150,000 per season overseas with the average salary in excess of $250,000 per season in the Chinese, Russian, Turkey A and Turkey B leagues. Even lesser leagues like Hungary pay bottom tier WNBA players $70,000-$90,000 per Winter season.

And then there is endorsement income. The big names all earn over $1,000,000 annually in endorsement income. Even minor players can earn $25,000-$35,000 annually through appearances and signings.

Put it in simple terms: make a WNBA team, be willing to play overseas, be willing to do signings and appearances and you will make $200,000 minimum your first year [and most likely $250,000]. That is for a player butt polishing the bench. Become a first year starter, make an All Star team, etc. and the player can expect to earn at least $400,000-$500,000 that first year.

Also note that two of the top four picks in the 2020 WNBA draft were early entries. That trend will only continue.

Y'all need to get out in the world more often.
Adriacus Peratuun

FYI, the rumor that Collier will be going pro early has been public for almost a year and recent rumors are that Smith is also focused on going pro early. Both would likely be Top 3 picks in the 2021 Draft.

Point of clarification: Collier is eligible under the calendar year age provision, but think [think, not certain] Smith has to be on track to graduate by the end of first Summer Session to be draft eligible due to her birth date.
Florda_mike
Excellent posts!

Thanks so much
fredbear
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2019/09/10/Research-and-Ratings/WNBA-Turnstile-Tracker.aspx

AP I respect your basketball knowledge and always enjoy your posts. But the WNBA is loosing money and attendance. Pointing to the overseas salaries of a few superstars does not an argument make. Let's say a player could have a combined salary of 200,000 for a few years, what a bad decision not to finish a 300,000 education at BU. And yes, I watch the WNBA, but there, unfortunately, is no market for it and ncaa basketball has much larger footprint as people cheer for a school. Smith would be foolish to leave. Even Sabrina returned to Oregon to finish. Name me ONE BU player who has left early. None! Not going to happen. The highest achievement of a male player is a nba championship ring, the highest achievement of a female player is a NCAA championship ring. Until Smith is wearing one of those, no need to chase a smaller dream in WNBA. We are a long way from the WNBA taking precedence over ncaa bball. We may live in the past, but I fear you live in a future that will never happen (I hope it does). Thanks for the discussion.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.