Big 12 happenings

1,133,882 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
WasheFuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Such nastiness.

I can see going on another team's board and saying good things about your program, and I am always respectful when I am the visitor. But it is hard to brag when you really haven't won anything in many years.

I have nothing ugly to say about UT or Aston. She is doing a bang-up job and is making this a good rivalry again, which is good for WCBB and the Bug 12. I can hardly wait for the season to begin.
AirBear
Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

But Joyner is out right nowso I will take the Bears today and something tells me that Brown plus Wallace plus Mulkey will beat Aston so bad she will sit down and say nothing just like she did in Waco two years ago. She literally quit coaching her team in the second halfunforgivable in my book.
Uh... Joyner will be back before the start of conference play. And again, the only area where Baylor has an obvious advantage is at the center position. Jatarie White isn't chopped liver at center she just isn't better than Brown. Texas' perimeter play is deep and experienced which is something you can't say about Baylor. Sug Sutton is going to allow Brooke to move off the ball and do what she does best which is shoot the ball.

Like I said before, barring injury this will be the best, most well rounded team that Karen has had. Also, the one fan base that should always be quiet when discussing what another coach is doing on the bench is Baylor fans. Because we all know that Mulkey is going to throw one of her immature temper tantrums like she always does when her team is getting beat by Texas this year.
That is nice and all but the question was who would I pick if they played right now..........not when conference starts.
zt1014
He can't give Mulkey or Baylor credit. Also it seems like Texas is the only with some great recruiting.

I guess Cox being number 1 recruit means nothing also Chou a top 10 recruit in same recruiting class. It only matters that Texas has good players not anyone else.

I am happy Texas is getting better because it helps the conference that Baylor isn't the only team that knows how to win out of it. However, it is fans like this one that makes you want to dislike a team.

If the teams played today my money is on BU!
Twhaley
AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

But Joyner is out right nowso I will take the Bears today and something tells me that Brown plus Wallace plus Mulkey will beat Aston so bad she will sit down and say nothing just like she did in Waco two years ago. She literally quit coaching her team in the second halfunforgivable in my book.
Uh... Joyner will be back before the start of conference play. And again, the only area where Baylor has an obvious advantage is at the center position. Jatarie White isn't chopped liver at center she just isn't better than Brown. Texas' perimeter play is deep and experienced which is something you can't say about Baylor. Sug Sutton is going to allow Brooke to move off the ball and do what she does best which is shoot the ball.

Like I said before, barring injury this will be the best, most well rounded team that Karen has had. Also, the one fan base that should always be quiet when discussing what another coach is doing on the bench is Baylor fans. Because we all know that Mulkey is going to throw one of her immature temper tantrums like she always does when her team is getting beat by Texas this year.
That is nice and all but the question was who would I pick if they played right now..........not when conference starts.
The fact that they won't play until conference play makes it pretty irrelevant. But I would still choose Texas if they played today. Again, Baylor's perimeter play is talent but young and green, no pun intended.Texas' perimeter play is talented and very experienced.
Twhaley
zt1014 said:

He can't give Mulkey or Baylor credit. Also it seems like Texas is the only with some great recruiting.

I guess Cox being number 1 recruit means nothing also Chou a top 10 recruit in same recruiting class. It only matters that Texas has good players not anyone else.

I am happy Texas is getting better because it helps the conference that Baylor isn't the only team that knows how to win out of it. However, it is fans like this one that makes you want to dislike a team.

If the teams played today my money is on BU!

I know is exactly what Baylor has on the roster. I think Cox is a nice player and will be much improved this year with increased playing time. But I think we all saw who should have been the number 1 player coming out of high school all along and which player is better and that's Joyner Holmes. I like Chou and think that she will be a really good player for Baylor, but I would take Ariel Atkins at the SF position over her. And I didn't even bring up a player that could easily be a starter for either team that comes off the bench for Texas, and that is Lashann Higgs. I'm telling you, barring injury this will be the best/most balanced and well rounded teams that Karen has ever had at Texas.
Pale Rider
Hey Whaley don't you have something better to do?
AirBear
Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

The fact that they won't play until conference play makes it pretty irrelevant. But I would still choose Texas if they played today. Again, Baylor's perimeter play is talent but young and green, no pun intended.Texas' perimeter play is talented and very experienced.
Might be irrelevant but that was the question.

You seem to be ignoring Kristi Wallace playing on the perimeter. Seems like she had a little success playing for Australia late in the summer.

Texas is talented and games will be interesting. Perhaps Texas will finally live up to all the hype. Time will tell.
bowdedg
No doubt both Texas and Baylor has very talented teams, however, the team that plays consistent defense and plays as a team will win more games. This is where coaching comes into play, and we know who has the best coach!
Twhaley
AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

You seem to be ignoring Kristi Wallace playing on the perimeter. Seems like she had a little success playing for Australia late in the summer.

Texas is talented and games will be interesting. Perhaps Texas will finally live up to all the hype. Time will tell.
Nope, I didn't forget about Wallace. She's a really good player and brings it consistently on both ends of the floor. But she's not a point guard and is much better suited to just play on the wing. Again, Alexis Morris and the other freshman are talented but young and inexperienced. As a Texas fan I hope that Wallace plays the point guard position more than Alexis Morris because that would mean that Baylor isn't as good of a team. And Texas has lived up to the hype under Karen. As I said before,Texas is right on schedule!
Pale Rider
I sure wish we could give neg reps. Sure do.
AirBear
Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Nope, I didn't forget about Wallace. She's a really good player and brings it consistently on both ends of the floor. But she's not a point guard and is much better suited to just play on the wing. Again, Alexis Morris and the other freshman are talented but young and inexperienced. As a Texas fan I hope that Wallace plays the point guard position more than Alexis Morris because that would mean that Baylor isn't as good of a team. And Texas has lived up to the hype under Karen. As I said before,Texas is right on schedule!
did they meet this schedule? http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209701626
Twhaley
bowdedg said:

No doubt both Texas and Baylor has very talented teams, however, the team that plays consistent defense and plays as a team will win more games. This is where coaching comes into play, and we know who has the best coach!
I didn't know either Karen or Mulkey were going to have flashbacks to their playing days and help their teams on the floor. And IMO the coaching matchup is a lot closer than you Baylor fans think it is. Do I think that Karen is a GREAT x's and o's coach nope, and neither is Mulkey. The reality is that for the most part Mulkey has had better overall players than Texas more consistently since she's been at Baylor. That, IMO has been the difference between the two programs in terms of success in recent years.

In fact, Karen and Mulkey's coaching philosophies are very similar, the things that they preach etc. The difference is that Karen is actually mature and as an adult is able to control her emotions. The old saying about it being about the jimmy and the joe's is true in this situation IMO. Heck, no disrespect to Mulkey but if we were talking about the difference between the coaches and Geno's name is brought up that would be a different story. Because he is a much better x's and o's coach than Karen and the majority of coaches in women's basketball. This year the overall player talent AND experience at key positions are on Texas' side. Which is why I believe that Texas will beat Baylor and ultimately win the conference.
Twhaley
AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

The But Joyner is out right nowso I will take the Bears today and something tells me that Brown plus Wallace plus Mulkey will beat Aston so bad she will sit down and say nothing just like she did in Waco two years ago. She literally quit coaching her team in the second halfunforgivable in my book.

did they meet this schedule? http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209701626
Uh.. because the majority of coaches and media people that cover women's basketball in the big 12 actually like and respect Karen unlike with Mulkey they picked Texas to win in a meaningless preseason poll. Which is the same reason that the coaches voted the way that they did in terms of conference awards last year. But the fact is that Baylor had the better overall players and didn't have the kind of flaws that Texas has had in the years that Karen has been the coach at Texas.
AirBear
Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

The But Joyner is out right nowso I will take the Bears today and something tells me that Brown plus Wallace plus Mulkey will beat Aston so bad she will sit down and say nothing just like she did in Waco two years ago. She literally quit coaching her team in the second halfunforgivable in my book.

Uh.. because the majority of coaches and media people that cover women's basketball in the big 12 actually like and respect Karen unlike with Mulkey they picked Texas to win in a meaningless preseason poll. Which is the same reason that the coaches voted the way that they did in terms of conference awards last year. But the fact is that Baylor had the better overall players and didn't have the kind of flaws that Texas has had in the years that Karen has been the coach at Texas.
Well they must have liked Mulkey more the next two years and disrespected Karen because Baylor was the pick of the coaches the next two seasons.

Good luck this year.

BaylorProud77
Pale Rider said:

yep, really hard to stomach these Texas fans. They have it all figured out, don't they, not!
RioRata
BaylorProud77 said:

Pale Rider said:

yep, really hard to stomach these Texas fans. They have it all figured out, don't they, not!

entitlement
intdlmnt,entdlmnt/
noun
the fact of having a right to something.
Twhaley
AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Well they must have liked Mulkey more the next two years and disrespected Karen because Baylor was the pick of the coaches the next two seasons.

Good luck this year.

I think it's pretty obvious that they don't like Mulkey.
Twhaley
BaylorProud77 said:

Pale Rider said:

Just wait until Texas beats Baylor and wins the conference this year. It's Really going to be hard to stomach.
Twhaley
RioRata said:

BaylorProud77 said:

Pale Rider said:

entitlement
intdlmnt,entdlmnt/
noun
the fact of having a right to something.
Yep, entitled to my opinion.
AirBear
Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Twhaley said:

AirBear said:

Good luck this year.

I think it's pretty obvious that they don't like Mulkey.
Kim is probably one of the most, if not the most, successful woman who played and then coached at the collegiate level. I'm not sure she is too worried about what other coaches think.
BuinmyBlood
People in here need to quit feeding this obviously lightweight and uninformed Texas troll.

The ignore feature is your friend.
Pale Rider
BuinmyBlood said:

People in here need to quit feeding this obviously lightweight and uninformed Texas troll.

This ^^^ ten times over.
AirBear
BuinmyBlood said:

I know, I know. But he is such a tool------and not a very sharp one!
RioRata
Pale Rider said:

BuinmyBlood said:

This ^^^ ten times over.

Done. Only once, though.
Bone Squad
I know the truism that every fan base has its knuckleheads. But can we as Lady Bear fans all pledge not to go to other teams' message boards crowing about how we are gonna beat them, nobody likes their coach, etc., etc.?

Because that is the main thought running through my head as I read this hijacked thread: "I hope Baylor fans are not similarly spending all their time congratulating themselves on other schools' boards, and generally making us look bad." I am optimistic enough to think we are above that, and I hope you guys are all out there proving me right.
zt1014
I could not agree more. It can give the entire fan base a bad look.

I like having a discussion with those from other boards on here as long as it stays positive and constructive. It is like a give and take no program is perfect nor is any team. However, constantly belittling the program, coaches, and players is an ugly look.

If my Bears are not in the playoff hunt or in a game I root for the Big 12 teams. A stronger conference will help bring in other top recruits because they know they are playing the best day in and day out. So Texas becoming a better program helps the conference and everyone loves a good rivalry.

I have seen other fans from other schools do this on other boards and it is just not a good look!
slimecap
BaylorProud77
Twhaley said:

bowdedg said:

I didn't know either Karen or Mulkey were going to have flashbacks to their playing days and help their teams on the floor. And IMO the coaching matchup is a lot closer than you Baylor fans think it is. Do I think that Karen is a GREAT x's and o's coach nope, and neither is Mulkey. The reality is that for the most part Mulkey has had better overall players than Texas more consistently since she's been at Baylor. That, IMO has been the difference between the two programs in terms of success in recent years.

In fact, Karen and Mulkey's coaching philosophies are very similar, the things that they preach etc. The difference is that Karen is actually mature and as an adult is able to control her emotions. The old saying about it being about the jimmy and the joe's is true in this situation IMO. Heck, no disrespect to Mulkey but if we were talking about the difference between the coaches and Geno's name is brought up that would be a different story. Because he is a much better x's and o's coach than Karen and the majority of coaches in women's basketball. This year the overall player talent AND experience at key positions are on Texas' side. Which is why I believe that Texas will beat Baylor and ultimately win the conference.
We like Mulkey's emotions. She gets into the game and is a competitor. Nothing immature about that.
slimecap
Twhaley
BaylorProud77 said:

Twhaley said:

bowdedg said:

We like Mulkey's emotions. She gets into the game and is a competitor. Nothing immature about that.
I understand why you don't see it. It's hard to see through those green colored lenses.
slimecap
KANSAS STATE

October 4, 2017

"The first official practice for women's college basketball teams was Tuesday, but there was a slightly different feel at Kansas State. The Wildcats had the benefit of 10 practices and four exhibition games on a European tour last summer, so they had a head start.

"It did feel different," senior forward Kaylee Page said at K-State's media day Wednesday. "We were able to have 10 practices this summer and we got a lot of the teaching out of the way so it was like we started a lot further ahead than we normally would have with this young of a team. It helped so much to build chemistry not only on the court but off the court. We spent so much time together touring, but we also learned a lot about each other's game and tendencies on the court."

Still, Wildcats coach Jeff Mittie had that same old opening-day feeling Tuesday.

"It still felt like the first day for me," Mittie said. "I think I'd probably be disappointed as a coach if it didn't. I saw some people tweet out in the coaching profession, 'We've had practices since June so it's not the first day.' I thought, 'Glad you're not on my staff.' If you're not excited to get going when it gets going for real, you probably ought to find a different profession, but that's just me. To me, those 40-minute things we do in the summer drive me crazy because it's not long enough to really get into the teeth of things. I can barely get mad enough in practice to yell at them in 40 minutes. My players wouldn't agree with that."

The Wildcats are coming off a 23-win season that ended in the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year. They must replace two All-Big 12 players, center Breanna Lewis and guard Kindred Wesemann, but return a solid nucleus with seniors Page, Shaelyn Martin and Karyla Middlebrook, junior Kayla Goth and sophomores Peyton Williams and Eternati Willock. That group is bolstered by a highly-regarded recruiting class featuring five freshmen and one junior college transfer.

"It's a new group and that's been both challenging and fun to see how the pieces fit together," said Mittie, who enters his fourth season with a 61-38 record at K-State. "This team is stronger physically, more athletic physically than previous teams. They are not basketball savvy enough. They do not have an understanding of what it takes to win as a team, nor should they playing together for three months, but that's our job as coaches to get them to that level."

Waiting on Williams
Williams is limited in practice while playing on the Wildcat volleyball team, where she is a starting middle blocker. The 6-foot-4 forward from Topeka is a sophomore in basketball but a freshman in volleyball after redshirting last season.

"We don't get a lot of time but we sat down for three meetings just to make sure how we allow Peyton to be successful at both (sports) and keep her fresh but also give her enough skill time," Mittie said. "I get her about eight to 10 times in the next month. We still have to stay within the rules of 20 hours a week and a day off so that has been something both coaching staffs have had to communicate about. I don't know that there is another basketball-volleyball combo at this level. She came in Tuesday and had a great workout, and I know she's playing very well for volleyball so it's very special what she's doing."

Recovery process
Middlebrook didn't play on the European tour due to an injury that continues to sideline the senior point guard.

"She has had a few setbacks in coming back. I don't have a timeline," Mittie said.

Serving suspension
Willock is still facing disciplinary measures for her arrest last April on charges of criminal trespass and liquor purchase by a minor.

"Coming off the spring, she was suspended indefinitely," Mittie said. "She did complete the things necessary to get back into practice in July. She did participate in Europe. She has made good strides, however, to finish up from her suspension she will not play in the first regular season game, nor will she play in the exhibition games."

Redshirt plan
Junior college transfer Anastasia Tsybaeva, a 6-foot-6 center East Los Angeles College who was a late signee on Sept. 7, will redshirt this season.

"That was the plan bringing her in," Mittie said."

- Ken Corbitt, Topeka Capital-Journal
slimecap
WEST VIRGINIA

October 4, 2017

2017 U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam forced to relocate The event has been held in St. Thomas for 17-straight years. Infrastructure damage caused by Hurricanes Irma & Maria did not allow for the tournament to be hosted in the territory.

Island Division
Butler, Drexel, Virginia Tech & West Virginia
Titan Field House @ Eastern Florida State College in Melbourne FL
November 23-25, 2017

Reef Division
George Washington, Syracuse, Vanderbilt & Wisconsin
Charles E. Smith Center @ George Washington University in Washington DC
November 23-25, 2017

Link for event website
paradisejam.com

.. Each participating university in the women's 2017 Paradise Jam was provided the opportunity to submit a bid to host the tournaments.
.. Tournament directors selected the host sites based upon proposals submitted by several participating schools.

"We're thankful to the multiple universities that submitted proposals to host their respective division of the tournaments. Our decision was ultimately made based off of feasibility for traveling teams, hotel availability, flight availability, associated costs, and practice and competition venues," said Jenn Ashby, the Paradise Jam tournament director. "We're incredibly thankful to all of the participating teams for their willingness to make adjustments during a difficult time. We're looking forward to hosting an event that matches the standard we have come to expect in the U.S. Virgin Islands and look forward to returning to the territory next year."

- Information sourced from West Virginia WBB website
mimi25408
Slimecap, want about junkanoo? Is it canceled. I booked flight and hotel before the hurricanes started coming. Any word?
slimecap
mimi25408 said:

Slimecap, want about junkanoo? Is it canceled. I booked flight and hotel before the hurricanes started coming. Any word?

"Resorts World Bimini "fared well" during Hurricane Irma and is slated to reopen on Sept. 27, the Bahamian property announced this week. There was no structural damage to the property, officials said, but heavy storm surge will mean additional repair work for the resort's marina.

"Clean up efforts are currently underway to restore the resort in preparation of welcoming guests," the property said in a statement.

Resorts World said existing reservations remain in its system, with additional reservations being taken "upon availability."

"We are thankful to all our team members who worked tirelessly to prepare the resort for the storm and for all their efforts and support and also appreciate the thoughts and good wishes that came from so many of you," Resorts World Bimini President Patricia Lawrence said."

Link
https://www.caribjournal.com/2017/09/15/resorts-world-bimini-reopen-sept-27/#

slimecap
KANSAS

2017-18 Late Night at the Phog

"The Kansas women's basketball team will tip off its season September 30 at the 33rd annual Late Night in the Phog.

Though the team will not be able to participate in a scrimmage for the first time in the event's history due to NCAA competition dates, the Jayhawks will still unveil the team and participate in the dances and skits that make Late Night so iconic.

As coach Brandon Schneider enters his third year at the helm of the program, it's almost like he's starting all over again. After another off season of upheaval, only five players return from last years squad. Of the five returning players, only three were starters.

The sudden offseason departure of the sophomore trio McKenzie Calvert, Aisia Robertson, and Jayde Christopher forced Schneider to bring in seven new players for the 2017-18 season. Of those seven players, three are freshmen and four are transfers from junior colleges.

Due to the high level of roster turnover, there are a lot of unknowns for the Jayhawks heading into the season. However, redshirt-senior guard Jessica Washington isn't one of them.

After an impressive first campaign in Lawrence in which she averaged 17.1 points per game, it is likely that Washington, the reigning Big 12 Conference Newcomer of the Year, will once again be asked to carry the team.

But, in order to improve on their dismal eight wins from last year, the Jayhawks will need someone to step up and complement Washington's scoring. Last season proved that the team can't be successful when she has to do it all by herself.

Schneider has emphasized throughout the offseason that he wants his team to score and shoot better. He expects the one through the four position to be threats from outside. There is a lot of room for improvement as Kansas ranked last in the Big 12 in field goal percentage last season at 33.8 percent. This was almost 8 percent lower than ninth ranked TCU.

Kansas will also have to improve on the defensive side of the ball if it wants to win more games. The addition of five players six-feet or taller should help Kansas massively in this regard. Teams often took advantage the Jayhawks lack of height last season by pounding the ball in the paint.

With almost the entirety of the roster having been recruited by Schneider, this team will be a testament to the coach's plan for the program not just in the short term but in the long term as well.

If this team can play Schneider's style of basketball and improve on last year's record, then it will be clear that the plan is a good one. If not, expect Schneider to begin to feel the pressure of being on the hot seat.

Senior guard Jessica Washington
4 stars
Consistently improving her shot year after year, Jessica Washington will continue to make an impact on the Big 12 this coming season. She averaged 17 points and led the Big 12 with 19.3 points per game in conference games, doubling her figures from her two seasons as a Tar Heel.

Washington adds much needed hope for the Jayhawks after a standout season, and will continue to lead a group of new teammates, herself included. If she can establish a consistent system with her team, she has a chance to crack the rankings of the greats to play on the floor of Allen Fieldhouse.

Junior guard Kylee Kopatich
3 stars
If nothing else, Kylee Kopatich is consistent. The junior sharpshooter from Olathe averaged a team best 29.2 minutes per game last year and has started all but one game during her tenure at KU. She averaged exactly 9.5 points per game as both a freshman and a sophomore. Last season, her 53 triples were good for the third most ever by a Kansas sophomore.

Consistency is all well and good, but it can also be boring. If KU wants to become competitive in the Big 12 again, Kopatich will need to step up her scoring output and efficiency. If she can improve on her 31 percent shooting from behind the arc she could become the secondary volume scoring option that the Jayhawks so desperately need.

Junior center Sara Boric
2 stars
Kansas may finally have top tier talent in Sara Boric. Starting all 32 games at Northeast Oklahoma A&M after transferring from North Carolina State, Boric helped NEO to a 28-3 record to earn them an OCAC championship. A native of Kotor Varos, Bosnia, Boric has played at the international stage by representing her country in the 2013 U18 FIBA Women's European Championship.

Consistently ranked nationally as a top-five junior college center, Boric highlights a recruiting class of four junior college transfers, and is the lone one to play for a team that made an appearance in the NJCAA National Tournament. Constantly going up against new teams, she is ready for anything that comes her way.

Senior guard Chayla Cheadle
2 stars
During her three seasons at KU, senior guard Chayla Cheadle has done a little bit of everything. She has appeared in every contest the Jayhawks have played in and has been good for about five points and four rebounds a game. Last season she led the team in rebounding with 4.7 per game.

With a bevy of taller players joining the team this year, Cheadle will be free to focus less on crashing the boards and more on defense and leadership. As one of three seniors on the squad it will be her responsibility to help establish a winning attitude in a locker room with seven new faces.

Freshman center Bailey Helgren
2 stars
Though she might not even see much playing time this year, freshman center Bailey Helgren is one of the most important players on this team. She, along with the two other players coming to Kansas from high school, represent the future of Schneider's program.

Transfers help to fill gaps in the short term, but four-year players are the ones that form the foundation of a successful program. If the Jayhawks want to return to relevance they will need to develop players like Helgren into Big 12 caliber talent."

- Ethan Belshe & Andrew Rosenthal, Kansan, 28 Sep 2017
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.