Big 12 happenings

1,133,795 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
57Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thank you Slime for posting the Players of the Week. Do you know how they are selected?
slimecap
57Bear said:

Thank you Slime for posting the Players of the Week. Do you know how they are selected?
Hi 57Bear,
Great question! A generic reference:
February 15, 2016
"Zahna Medley (TCU) was selected as Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Player of the Week while Bridget Carleton (Iowa State) picked up Freshman of the Week accolades in a vote of a media panel that covers the Conference."

Still researching specific media names that vote for BIG 12 Weekly Award winners
AP WBB voters may or may not be the same media panel members that vote for the BIG 12 weekly awards.

AP Poll Voters that report in BIG 12 school areas
2017-18

1 Brocato Joe Bridgeport WV WDTV-TV
2 Cantu Rick Austin TX American-Statesman
3 Palmateer Tyler Norman OK Transcript
4 Pirtle Krista Waco TX Tribune-Herald
5 Pryor Brooke Oklahoma City OK Oklahoman

Note 32 voters in the AP Top 25 WBB poll

57Bear, Thank you for working on the list of this season's award recipients.
57Bear
I think that this list is fairly accurate - at least it's a starting point. The first entry of each week is the POW, the second is the Freshman POW. Week 4 had a tie for POW Note: Formatting a table here is about the same as it was on BaylorFans.

1 Bridget Carleton ISU Madison Wise ISU
3 Lauren Cox BU Alexis Morris BU
4 Bridget Carleton ISU Madison Wise ISU
Loryn Goodwin OSU
6 Brooke McCarty UT Anna Llanusa OU
7 Amy Okonkwo TCU Lindsey Whilby TT
8 Kaylee Jenson OSU Shania Pellington OU
9 Lashann Higgs UT Braxton Miller OSU
10 Ariel Atkins UT Madison Wise ISU

slimecap

Monday - Jan 15

UConn 75 @ Texas 71
Pale Rider
horns put up a good fight. they could have won if they had hit just a few more shots at the end, and got a few more stops. But isn't that always the case.
slimecap
IOWA STATE

Adam Urness

Update
January 12, 2018

"The Iowa State athletics department released a statement that said Adam Urness, Iowa State women's basketball coordinator of player development, has resigned from the women's basketball team.

The email had a statement with just a single quote from Iowa State women's basketball head coach Bill Fennelly. It read, "Iowa State Coordinator of Player Development Adam Urness tendered his resignation this afternoon after practice and I have accepted his resignation."

Original story
January 11, 2018

"An Iowa State women's basketball coordinator of player development apologized on Twitter Thursday for direct messages he sent on Twitter to a Clarion-Goldfield-Dows high school basketball player who broke the school's single-game scoring record Tuesday night.

Adam Urness, who has worked for the women's basketball team since October 2016, claimed Rhett Darland, a senior basketball player on the Clarion-Goldfield-Dows High School team, did not break the school record when Darland scored 34 points against Southeast Valley on Tuesday night.

In Thursday's message, Urness apologized to the Darland family and said he hopes this can be a "learning opportunity" for himself.
Quote:

I have reached out and apologized to the Darland family for my comments. I made a mistake and I hope to move forward from this and use it as a learning opportunity.
Adam Urness (@AdamUrness) January 11, 2018
Screenshots show Urness direct messaged Darland with a list of players that scored more points than him in Clarion-Goldfield basketball history. Reese Morris, Darland's brother, told the Iowa State Daily Wednesday that Darland broke the Clarion-Goldfield-Dows record, not the Clarion-Goldfield record that was set before Dows merged with Clarion-Goldfield in 2013.

One of the messages Darland received said, "Says the kid riding around getting pot and lying about records. Your reputation as an individual speaks for itself, trust me, THROUGHOUT the basketball coaching community. You are a disgrace to Clarion-Goldfield basketball."

After the messages circulated on Twitter, Urness' Twitter account wasn't able to be found.

Morris said those comments hit Darland personally because he's never done drugs and is committed to playing basketball at Waldorf University. Urness' younger brother, Sam Urness, is a teammate of Darland's on the basketball team, so Morris said he has seen Adam Urness at the basketball games.

Darland said, "I am going to decline speaking with any sort of media about this issue and instead focus on our team and moving forward."

At Iowa State's game against Kansas State on Wednesday night, Urness was on the sidelines as usual.

Photo taken January 10, 2018

An Iowa State women's basketball spokesperson told the Daily on Wednesday that women's basketball head coach Bill Fennelly was aware of the situation and it would be handled internally. The team declined to comment further."

- Sarah Henry, Iowa State Daily
slimecap
WEST VIRGINIA

January 17, 2018

"West Virginia head coach Mike Carey believes that there are plenty of wins left on his team's schedule. But so far in the conference season, Carey's Mountaineers haven't always taken care of business. In a Big 12 landscape where one has to hold court at home, West Virginia (15-3, 3-3 Big 12) has lost home stunners to Kansas State and TCU, and is still grasping for momentum heading into the meat of their conference schedule.

Now, the No. 17 Mountaineers are in an uncomfortable position: needing a win on the road. West Virginia will get that chance on Wednesday night, as they take on Oklahoma State (12-4, 3-2 Big 12) in Stillwater to start off a two-game road swing.

"We just have to go to their place and take those wins back," junior forward Naomi Davenport said. "We have to play as hard as we can these next couple games and do what we can to get back over .500."

In recent weeks, the shorthanded Mountaineers have struggled when dragged into deep waters.

Although Carey preaches an aggressive style of ball - "Physical for 40" has long been one of his mantras - WVU's lack of able bodies has forced a counterproductive caution, as the Mountaineers are ill-suited to deal with foul trouble.

Such was the case on Saturday, when West Virginia squandered an 18-point second half lead in a home loss on TCU. The collapse started in earnest when Davenport fouled out early in the fourth quarter, leaving Carey with almost no ability to substitute down the stretch.

But even with only 7 healthy players he feels he can trust, Carey is looking to see his team push back harder on the upcoming road trip.

"You want to be physical, but you don't want to be physical and foul," Carey said. "That's a hard place to be. Teams right now are just getting physical with us, not only in the post position but at the guard position, and we have to go back at them a little bit more."

They'll find no shortage of physicality in the Oklahoma State Cowgirls. Stillwater, Oklahoma has often been a thorn in Carey's side his Mountaineers have dropped their last two at Gallagher-Iba Arena and the Cowgirls' 5-point loss at Texas showed that Oklahoma State can hang with the best teams in Division I.

West Virginia is quite familiar with powerful senior center Kaylee Jensen, who is averaging just shy of a double-double this season and put up 16 points and 8 rebounds when Oklahoma State beat WVU in Stillwater last year. The Cowgirls' leading scorer is guard Loryn Goodwin, a graduate transfer from UTSA who has stepped in to average a stellar 21.4 points per game.

Oklahoma State has the second-best scoring offense in the Big 12 at 85.6 points per game, buoyed by a turnover margin that ranks as the best in the conference by a comfortable margin. West Virginia's offensive collapse down the stretch on Saturday illustrated the need to find one more reliable scorer in order to keep up with offenses like OSU's.

On Wednesday, that solution may have to come from junior guard Katrina Pardee. Pardee is currently West Virginia's third-leading scorer at 12.4 points per game, but is mired in an extended slump that has pushed her field-goal percentage down to just 36.3.

Pardee admits that she has had trouble dealing with other teams' physicality this season, and believes her key to getting back on track is simply getting out of her own head.

"I think it's all mental," Pardee said. "I think in the games I'm just thinking about it too much, because I know on the off days I'm getting in the gym every day, shooting shots and working on my ballhandling and all that stuff. I know that my skills are there, but I just need to have the confidence to relax in the game and let it come to me."

- David Statman, West Virginia Illustrated, 17 Jan 2018
geewago
If WV doesn't get Martin back they will continue to struggle. They are hoping that she we will be back by February . But foot injuries don't always heal up as timely as you expect. As we learned with alexis prince.
RioRata
geewago said:

If WV doesn't get Martin back they will continue to struggle. They are hoping that she we will be back by February . But foot injuries don't always heal up as timely as you expect. As we learned with alexis prince.

Foot problems hampered Bill Walton's NBA career. He never reach his full potential because of them.
DFW Bill
Good chance of Martin being red-shirted. She is a terrific player and then would have two more years.
slimecap
Chibears2 said:

Wow, Iowa State.... Know Fennelly was made coach for life, essentially, but ISU might need to rethink that. Think the game has changed a lot over the last decade and a half, and programs like KSU and ISU are playing catch-up.

Iowa State has innovative ideas to raise attendance

The 2 tweets below show one idea from December 6.

`

slimecap

Wednesday - January 17, 2018

Oklahoma 76 @ Kansas State 71
Texas Tech 68 @ Kansas 56
West Virginia 73 @ Oklahoma State 79
Baylor 79 @ Iowa State 50
slimecap

bearbone11
I expected Tech to go 0-18. I guess the coaching change brought some energy.
slimecap
IOWA STATE

Bill Fennelly post-game press conference vs Baylor

"The only thing good about tonight is that we don't have to play them again."

Video Link
http://cyclones.com/watch/?Archive=10627&category=Event&type=Live
slimecap

Pale Rider
That's pretty crazy.
slimecap
bearbone11 said:

I expected Tech to go 0-18. I guess the coaching change brought some energy.

Recently appointed Texas Tech interim coach Shimmy Gray-Miller

"After getting her first win in Big 12 play, the coach walked to the table in the Allen Fieldhouse media room with a smile on her face.

Her shirt was drenched in Gatorade, undoubtedly a part of a celebration that took place in a "very relieved, happy" Texas Tech (7-11, 1-6) locker room.

"Excuse my appearance," she joked. "Next time I'll use a straw."

- Scott Chasen, kusports.com, 17 January 2018
slimecap
KANSAS

Brianna Osorio

July 17, 2018

"In the midst of a career-best 28-point performance in an eventual 68-56 loss to Texas Tech, KU's Brianna Osorio converted on a layup and then fell to the floor as Tech's Grayson Bright appeared to swat her in the head with her left arm. Osorio remained on the ground while the referees checked for a flagrant foul, but she made zero attempt to hide what had happened after the game.

"Um, no," Osorio said, asked if she got hit. "I was just buying myself some time. I needed a breather."

That level of honesty was a rarity from the Jayhawks, who dropped to 11-7 on the year (2-5 in Big 12 play). In fact, it was the polar opposite that caused coach Brandon Schneider to open his postgame press conference by invoking a cartoon.

"You guys ever watch 'Scooby-Doo?'" Schneider said. "Felt like I was in a 'Scooby-Doo' episode for about 30 minutes where at the end, they always find somebody in a closet with a bag over their head and it's the impostor. That was us tonight. That's not our team. That's not how we prepare."

As it were, "impostor" wasn't the harshest word spoken by the third-year KU coach.

Asked about Osorio, Schneider said, "She demonstrated that she has some heart, she has some guts and that she's not a coward."

Asked about what irked him, Schneider brought up how his team got "whipped on the glass," "whipped in the turnover margin" and how the players took shots "hoping to get fouled versus going to score the ball, like a grown-up."

Asked about the potential of his team overlooking Tech because of a win earlier this season, he shot right back: "If it did, then you're immature. You've got to show up ready to compete."

The numbers, as Schneider alluded to, bore that out. The Jayhawks trailed from the onset, missing their first eight shots to fall behind 8-0. KU, which bricked four 3-pointers in that stretch, went on to miss its first 14 3s. That total included four misses from Kylee Kopatich, who entered the day shooting 35.9 percent in that area. KU's first 3-point make, which came with just over seven minutes to play in the fourth quarter, was banked in by Christalah Lyons.

"If your shots aren't falling ... on the defensive end, you can pick it up," said Sydney Benoit, who played a career-high nine minutes and scored the first basket of her KU career late in the contest. "I just felt like we really struggled on, I guess, both ends to do that."

Outside of Osorio, the offense never really picked up. Osorio made 10 field goals. The rest of the team made nine. She made eight free throws. The rest of the team hit seven. She scored 28 points, driving into the paint over and over down the stretch to keep KU's chances somewhat alive.

Benoit's late bucket at least salvaged a tie in that area.

"We just didn't come to play. They played harder than us. They played with more emotion than us," Osorio said. "We were kind of playing catch-up the entire game, at our home. That kind of sucks."

Certainly it stuck with Schneider.

"We were not mentally and physically ready to compete," he said. "We got just what we deserved."

- Scott Chasen, kusports.com
slimecap
BIG 12

PlayxPlay & Analyst Brenda VanLengen
interviewed about Big 12 teams
by LaChina Robinson

approximate meter marks on audio
06:58 Texas vs UConn
10:46 TCU
13:11 West Virginia

Audio link
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=22143743
slimecap
KANSAS STATE

January 17, 2008

"Kansas State women's basketball coach Jeff Mittie could sense things weren't going his team's way Wednesday, even if the score appeared to indicate the contrary.

Despite leading for much of the first three quarters, Mittie felt his team lacked aggressiveness. That was especially evident during the final stretch, as Oklahoma rallied past K-State to take a 76-71 win at Bramlage Coliseum.

The Sooners (9-9, 4-3 Big 12) outscored the Wildcats, 25-18, during the fourth period. They shot 75 percent from the floor to close things out on the road.

"I thought we were on our heels most of the night," Mittie said. "It was a strange night, because we scored 41 in the first half. We just weren't doing things that were consistent. Our awareness was bad. We just weren't doing things that had made us a good team."

It is a loss that ultimately may linger for a team that has postseason aspirations following a pair of ranked wins through the early part of the Big 12 slate.

K-State (11-7, 3-4 Big 12) appeared poised for a third straight victory, clinging to a 53-51 advantage at the start of the final quarter.

A free throw by center Vionise Pierre-Louis gave Oklahoma an advantage with 9:48 remaining, giving the visitors its first lead since the 6:29 mark in the opening quarter. For the next couple of minutes, the two teams traded buckets.

Ultimately, Oklahoma's experience prevailed. The Sooners had four players score in double figures, three of whom were seniors.

Oklahoma's Gabbi Ortiz finished with a team-high 23 points. She shot 7 of 13 from the floor, including 6-for-11 from long range. K-State threw multiple looks at Ortiz in an attempt to slow her down, which included a pair of gimmick defenses.

Pierre-Louis, a senior, also was a key factor in the Sooners' comeback, netting eight points in the fourth. She also held sophomore forward Peyton Williams, who scored 19 points in the first half, to a single basket in the final period.

Williams finished with 23 points on 10 of 17 shooting. She went down with an injury in the fourth quarter, but returned a minute later.

"I thought coming into this game (Kansas State) was playing as well as anybody in our conference," OU head coach Sherri Coale said. "I just thought it was a gutty performance. The seniors had to rise to the occasion."

K-State jumped out to a 21-15 advantage in the first quarter, featuring a pair of 3-points by freshman wing Rachel Ranke. Junior point guard Kayla Goth also tallied a couple breakaway layups.

The Sooners, who trailed by as many as eight points, trimmed the deficit to one possession at the end of the first half. It was a play that provided more than enough boost for the visitors heading into the intermission.

K-State led 41-38 at the half, though the damage had been done. Goth finished with 16 points, while hitting 6 of 9 field goals. Ranke joined her and Williams in double digits with 13 points.

"We are coming off the Oklahoma State game, where we had great awareness," Mittie said. "I just don't think we had it tonight. Give all the credit to Oklahoma, because they push you and challenge your ability to see things quicker."

K-State travels to No. 4 Baylor at 6 p.m. on Saturday."

- Shane Jackson, The Mercury
slimecap

Standings
as of January 18, 03:02 PM CT

6 - 0 Baylor
5 - 1 Texas
4 - 2 Oklahoma State
4 - 3 Oklahoma
3 - 3 TCU
3 - 4 West Virginia
3 - 4 Kansas State
2 - 5 Kansas
2 - 5 Iowa State
1 - 6 Texas Tech
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Watching OSU and if you run on them the big isn't getting back on defense.
Pale Rider
OU most definitely should have won the game.
Chibears2
Not to mention, tired legs = more fouling. I think we can run on them and get big girl to foul out. She has surprisingly good moves and balance for her size. Will be interesting matchup.
slimecap
OKLAHOMA
Post-game press conference

70 Oklahoma State
67 Oklahoma

Video link
http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?SPSID=750397&SPID=127261&DB_OEM_ID=31000&id=6237314&db_oem_id=31000
slimecap
TEXAS TECH
Post-game press conference

90 Texas
39 Texas Tech

Video link
http://texastech.com/watch/?Archive=14376&type=Live

OP NOTES

Texas Tech #23 Angel Hayden 5-6 guard has a broken nose

Hayden wore a face mask during the first half
but removed it at halftime because "she could not see"
slimecap

Saturday - Jan 20

Kansas State 50 @ Baylor 75
Oklahoma State 70 @ Oklahoma 67
Kansas 66 @ TCU 76
Texas 90 @ Texas Tech 39
West Virginia 69 @ Iowa State 59

Standings
as of January 20, 08:26 PM CT

7 - 0 Baylor
6 - 1 Texas
5 - 2 Oklahoma State
4 - 3 TCU
4 - 4 West Virginia
4 - 4 Oklahoma
3 - 5 Kansas State
2 - 6 Kansas
2 - 6 Iowa State
1 - 7 Texas Tech

slimecap
TEXAS TECH

Jan 22, 2018

Recee' Caldwell likely out for season

"Texas Tech women's basketball interim head coach Shimmy Gray-Miller said junior guard Recee Caldwell is likely out for the season due to a torn labrum.

Caldwell played a total of 8 games in the 2017-18 season and scored 54 points overall.
Her season high in scoring was against Texas State on Monday, Nov. 13, 2017, when she scored 13 points. In her sophomore season, Caldwell earned All-Big 12 honorable mention honors and also earned Academic All-Big 12 honors, according to Tech Athletics.

Before transferring to Tech
Caldwell played for UCLA for a year, making her ineligible to play during the 2015-16 season.

Caldwell this year had a field goal percentage of .286, 20-70, and a three-point percentage of .200, 8-40. She had a total of 19 rebounds, 37 assists and four steals, according to Tech Athletics."

- Jack Debsmore, Daily Toreador

slimecap

January 22, 2018

TCU in the AP Top 25 Poll
.. #24 ranking in Week 12 (Jan 22) poll
.. First ranking in over 7 years
.. Last appeared as #21 on Nov 22, 2010
.. Has spent 41 total weeks in the AP Poll
.. Highest ranking was #13 on Feb 23, 2004
.. Won four straight Big 12 games for the first time
Pale Rider
Good for them and good for the conference. Their coach is doing a great job.
slimecap

slimecap
KANSAS STATE

January 19, 2018

slimecap
DFW Bill said:

Good chance of Martin being red-shirted. She is a terrific player and then would have two more years.

January 23, 2018

"West Virginia announced Tuesday that junior guard Tynice Martin, last year's Big 12 tournament most outstanding player, will redshirt this season with a foot injury.

She was hurt at USA Basketball U-23 team trials in August and had surgery soon after. The Mountaineers expected her back for this season, but she had to have an additional surgery recently, and the team and Martin decided she wouldn't return until next season. The 5-foot-11 Martin led West Virginia and was second in the Big 12 in scoring last season at 18.6 points per game and also led the league in minutes played per game at 35.6.

Martin, who is from Atlanta, will have two seasons of eligibility remaining."

- Mechelle Voepel, ESPN
slimecap
BAYLOR

First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.