After being in a head-on car crash last August that left her unable to coach part of last season, longtime Irving MacArthur girls basketball coach Suzie Oelschlegel, 64, decided to retire.

"I didn't want to retire. I wanted to keep going. I love what I do, and I love MacArthur," Oelschlegel said. "But these health issues were the writing on the wall. It messed me up for quite a while. For the first eight weeks, my doctor wouldn't let me drive because of my vision. I was pretty much stuck in my house."

Oelschlegel also had a concussion, whiplash and stomach issues as a result of the car crash. She was on medical leave and away from the team until October 2021. She returned and coached through December 2021, but then she was unable to continue and had to go back on medical leave for the rest of the season. Assistant Stephen Jamison coached MacArthur in Oelschlegel's absence, and the team won its fourth consecutive district championship.

Baylor affiliations
Oelschlegel played basketball and softball at Baylor.
Her 2011 state championship team finished 37-2 and was led by McDonald's All-American Alexis Jones, who went on to play at Duke and Baylor. Jones is one of three MacArthur players that Oelschlegel coached who went on to play in the WNBA, along with Chastity Reed and Odyssey Sims. Sims and Jordan Brand Classic All-American Sarah Andrews were other MacArthur stars besides Jones who played at Baylor, just like Oelschlegel.

Coaching timeline
Oelschlegel spent one year as an eighth-grade coach at Crockett Middle School in Irving ISD, then coached at MacArthur for the last 41 years. She was an assistant coach for her first five years at MacArthur and was on the staff of the team that went to the state tournament in 1986 then she became the head coach the following season and has been in that role ever since.

Coaching achievements
.. One of the winningest coaches in state history (885 career victories)
.. Led MacArthur to the 2011 Class 5A Texas State Championship
.. Selected as 2010-11 National Coach of the Year by the National Federation of State High School Associations
.. Named one of the UIL's top 100 high school basketball coaches of all-time

- Excerpts from an article by Greg Riddle, Dallas Morning News, 16 May 2022