South Carolina cancels series with BYu over racial slur

7,034 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ScottS
Fre3dombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow
WacoKelly83
"Alleged" racial slur...no less
ScottS
Was this proven?
Wbbfan29
Just a reminder, there are recruits and players that look at this board. Please be mindful..
Cusco
Wbbfan29 said:

Just a reminder, there are recruits and players that look at this board. Please be mindful..
Quite possibly one the least self-aware posts that I've seen.

All at once insinuates that Baylor posters in general would make inappropriate comments, and that they should hide them. Both of which are WRONG perspectives on Baylor.
SonOfZuno
The claim seems to be falling apart. Has not been actually corroborated by anyone or proven to be true yet. Not by a fellow player, not by a fan (for either team), not by law enforcement, not anyone.

We'll have to see how this plays out for Staley.
Chibears2
Personally, I don't think it's ever wrong to be reminded that we are constantly in the company of those who think differently from us or come from different experiences. Helps us all to think a little more what it might be like to walk in other's shoes. Empathy is a Christian trait. Poster didn't accuse anyone of anything nor tell anyone how to behave. I'm okay being reminded that non posters read the board and I'm okay trying to be more respectful.

blackie
Cusco said:

Wbbfan29 said:

All at once insinuates that Baylor posters in general would make inappropriate comments, and that they should hide them. Both of which are WRONG perspectives on Baylor.
Hopefully, such comments stay on the R&P board, because such are found there.
ScottS
The BYU Race Non-Scandal Takes a More Ridiculous Turn as SC Coach Overreacts RedState
Wbbfan29
There has been a few questionable comments over the years. Am I insinuating that some people from Baylor will make crazy comments... Absolutely. It's always at least one in the bunch.
KIA
Cusco said:

Wbbfan29 said:

There are a lot of Trump Clones on this site. Racially insensitive comments without a clue that their comments could be considered insensitive seem to be pretty common among that group.
ScottS
No evidence found of banned BYU fan using racist slurs at game (fox13now.com)
SirBearALot
President Biden himself has made racial remarks so don't sling your crap at Trump supporter! He called Cedric Richmond a FEMA director a boy because he couldn't remember his name and then just said I have my boy here with me from FEMA. Look it up he said it on national TV when inspecting the damage from the hurricane in New Orleans.
SonOfZuno
KIA said:

Cusco said:

Wbbfan29 said:

There are a lot of Trump Clones on this site. Racially insensitive comments without a clue that their comments could be considered insensitive seem to be pretty common among that group.
I have been on this site a pretty long time now and can say that I have never seen, on any thread, anything that could/would come across as intently racially insensitive.

Start by laughing at yourself each day and you'll probably find yourself much happier and less "offended" by others in this world.......
Bone Squad
I think it is only fair that all women's basketball teams adopt Dawn Staley's logic and refuse to play any basketball games at South Carolina this year. It is clearly a dangerous campus, as you can see here:

https://www.wyff4.com/article/student-faculty-member-found-dead-on-university-of-south-carolina-campus/41069068

Look, even if we assume that the allegation at BYU was 100% accurate, then we are talking about one fan using a racial slur, and then being immediately banned from the arena as a result. Since ticket sales to every college sport are open to the public, that scenario could easily happen at every single sports venue in the country. It is an absurd conclusion that attending a game at BYU is any less safe than it would be anywhere else based on this story. How does anyone benefit from Staley's decision?
blueeyedbear
Bone Squad said:

I think it is only fair that all women's basketball teams adopt Dawn Staley's logic and refuse to play any basketball games at South Carolina this year. It is clearly a dangerous campus, as you can see here:

https://www.wyff4.com/article/student-faculty-member-found-dead-on-university-of-south-carolina-campus/41069068

Look, even if we assume that the allegation at BYU was 100% accurate, then we are talking about one fan using a racial slur, and then being immediately banned from the arena as a result. Since ticket sales to every college sport are open to the public, that scenario could easily happen at every single sports venue in the country. It is an absurd conclusion that attending a game at BYU is any less safe than it would be anywhere else based on this story. How does anyone benefit from Staley's decision?
No one does - She used the incident to push a narrative that she has spoken about before.
Truth is always the first causality in these situations. Dawn said it does not matter - what matters is that this is what blacks face all the time - again truth is silenced, and victimhood is once again pushed by the media mob.
Emoticon's post is 100.0% accurate and the one rotten apple is an excellent example but since the overwhelming evidence is that it never happened - But we are now supposed to go along with - well she felt that was what was said so since she "feels" that...... it happened ?!?!? Thats a very slippery slope - Do we really want to go there ??
Dcheetah
It has been investigated and been documented it did not happen. Ridiculous Dawn is taking that stance. Her team hears negative comments at every place she plays in the SEC and I'm sure her players hear racially insensitive comments at those places too. For her to single out an institution before waiting for the facts to come in when it didn't even involve her own players and she has no first hand knowledge smacks of taking advantage of a situation and trying to push an agenda.
ScottS
Very likely this is a hoax. So cancelling the game is unnecessary.
Bear3
Definitely still some unanswered questions about this alleged incident. I do hope they find some answers. If someone in BYU crowd did make racial slurs, that person should certainly face consequences.

If this incident was fabricated, the player from Duke should also face consequences.
WacoKelly83
Or it could be just a big misunderstanding. Of course, not waiting till all the facts are revealed is not a smart way to make decisions.
Bone Squad
Also Dawn Staley: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757015-dawn-staley-defends-south-carolina-fans-after-racial-slur-spitting-allegations
mcleod66
blueeyedbear said:

Bone Squad said:

No one does - She used the incident to push a narrative that she has spoken about before.
Truth is always the first causality in these situations. Dawn said it does not matter - what matters is that this is what blacks face all the time - again truth is silenced, and victimhood is once again pushed by the media mob.
Emoticon's post is 100.0% accurate and the one rotten apple is an excellent example but since the overwhelming evidence is that it never happened - But we are now supposed to go along with - well she felt that was what was said so since she "feels" that...... it happened ?!?!? Thats a very slippery slope - Do we really want to go there ??
Well said! And NO, we DON'T want to go there (but sure seem to in COUNTLESS instances).
ImwithBU
My only question is if nothing happened how did they know who to ban in the first place. Yes I know it was lifted, but how do single someone out in a crowd to ban if nothing happened.
Dcheetah
Cameras pointed at him at the times he was charged to have said inflammatory or derogatory things did not reveal him saying anything like that and often he was not even facing her at those times and the police standing between him and the Duke player denied any of those gross things being said by anyone. Maybe he looked like an easy target to allege. Who knows why he was singled out.
EatMoreSalmon
False accusations are triple bad. They can ruin an innocent person's life, cast doubt on legitimate cases, and are an insult to those who have suffered real grievances.
MrGolfguy
So when is Staley going to hold a presser to announce she jumped the gun, she was wrong, and that the BYU game is still on the schedule?

Yeah, i'm not holding my breath.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Bone Squad
https://wach.com/news/local/dawn-staley-releases-statement-after-byu-investigation

Quote:

I continue to stand by my position. After my personal research, I made a decision for the well-being of my team. I regret that my university, my athletics director Ray Tanner and others got drawn into the criticism of a choice that I made.

One has to wonder what evidence Staley found in her "personal research" from 2,000 miles away that local journalists, law enforcement, and video of the game failed to uncover.
sicem45
MrGolfguy said:

So when is Staley going to hold a presser to announce she jumped the gun, she was wrong, and that the BYU game is still on the schedule?

Yeah, i'm not holding my breath.

Staley is all about pandering and playing the race card. Hell this past year she basically called LSU fans racists during her post game press conference. If the BYU stuff did show to be true then I think it's fine but her comments and response is silly when a investigation that interviewed 50+ people (fans and players from both teams, coaches, security) couldn't collaborate what was alleged. She knew she was wrong but doubled down. It's hilarious at the same time when Missouri alleged the same thing years ago and Dawn got pissed then sued the Missouri AD.

I'm all for protecting kids and holding those accountable. Feeding into this is not good leadership on her part

fredbear
https://www.chronicle.com/article/a-duke-volleyball-player-said-byu-fans-shouted-racial-slurs-an-investigation-found-no-evidence?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_5057020_nl_Daily-Briefing_date_20220912&cid=db&source=ams&sourceid=&cid2=gen_login_refresh

Official BYU report found NO evidence from anyone, BYU side or Duke side, to substantiate the racial slur accusation. In fact, they apologized to the accused. No video, no audio, no game official, no other fans (after 50 interviews) , no Duke teammates, no coach, no one has come forward with evidence despite BYU's open invitation for evidence. We may never know the truth, but, without any supporting evidence whatsoever, we can conclude that in the future we need to investigate before we condemn, cancel games, and disparage someone's reputation.

SCspur
The Irony of this thread
WacoKelly83
What's the irony?
SCspur
Lol leave it up to you to figure that out
ScottS
With zero evidence is there alot of irony or zero irony?
Dr. J
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/dawn-staley-is-a-self-righteous-hypocrite/ar-AA11KqmA?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=4fbabf2d7bcc4b23e5e1e5b38bb0e9f8
Mothballs
Bear3 said:

Definitely still some unanswered questions about this alleged incident. I do hope they find some answers. If someone in BYU crowd did make racial slurs, that person should certainly face consequences.

If this incident was fabricated, the player from Duke should also face consequences.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case

Duke seems to be a magnet for false racism claims. Maybe the woke (Duke) should wake up.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.