Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Women's Basketball

The 1-3-1: Baylor (13-6, 4-3) at Texas Tech (15-5, 3-4)

January 27, 2023

It’s been a rough stretch for Baylor (13-6, 4-3) as they’ve dropped 3-of-4 games in Big 12 play. The Bears will have an opportunity to get back in the win column on Saturday at 2:00 p.m., as they head to Lubbock to face Texas Tech (15-5, 3-4) at United Supermarkets Arena.

The Bears did get a slight break to regroup with no mid-week game following their 68-55 loss to Texas last Sunday, which for head coach Nicki Collen wasn’t exactly what she hoped for.

“You know, two days off this week, but you don't ever get days off in the season while coaching. It just means we go recruiting, but the players you know, got to get two days away from the game so I don't know maybe that helps some of them,” said Collen. “For me, just a two-day break after a loss isn’t what you want. You know, I just think you want to get right back on the horse and ride so I don’t think it fell at a good time.”

Here is the 1-3-1 on Baylor vs Texas Tech.

One Player:

Texas Tech has relied heavily on the play of senior guard Bre’Amber Scott all season long. The Little Rock native has put together an impressive bounce-back year, after missing a majority of her junior campaign with a foot injury that began in the preseason and resulted in season-ending surgery after eight regular season appearances.

Scott is coming off an 18-point, 7-rebound performance in the Red Raiders 67-57 loss at West Virginia on Saturday night, while averaging  16.9PPG. She is one of two Texas Tech players averaging double figures alongside freshman guard Bailey Maupin.

Three Nuggets:

• Baylor holds a slim 51-47 advantage in the all-time series with Texas Tech.
  • The Bears have won 26-straight meetings with the Lady Raiders, dating back to the 2010-11 season. Baylor has lost just twice to Texas Tech since 2005.
  • The Lady Raiders fell for the first time this season at WVU when holding a team below 30 points in the paint. Tech was previously 14-0 in those instances. 

One Quote:

With struggles come criticism, and Baylor has been getting their fair share over the course of this season. Despite the chatter from fans and talking heads, Nicki Collen isn’t letting the noise seep into the locker room or program.

“In all honesty, I learned last year here at Baylor that I stay the heck off of social media,” said Collen. “I can't tell you what's being said or not said because, I learned very, very quickly that I just had to do my job and to please my bosses and, and to work for my team and what other people say, I can't control that.”

“Believe me, after every game, I'm the hardest critic there is. So I don't worry about what anybody else says. And I actually know what happens in the locker room and I know what happens on the practice court,” continued Collen. “I know that you have to grow as a player. You've got to grow as a coach, you got to figure out your team. I’ve firmly said that since November, we’re capable of winning or losing any game in this league, but we’re young and going to be just fine.”

Watch/Listen:

The contest between the Bears and the Lady Raiders is available for streaming via Big 12 Now on ESPN+ and a live radio broadcast is also available for fans. Live in-game updates will also be provided via Twitter or live stats.

Discussion from...

The 1-3-1: Baylor (13-6, 4-3) at Texas Tech (15-5, 3-4)

4,746 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Baylorkid
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just win (Lady) Bears!
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Baylorkid
Wow bad first possession
74Bear
So why is Dariana Little Page Buggs not starting?
Baylorkid
Finally playing some good basketball
Baylorkid
Ja'mee still can't shoot
Woodsa7512
Is Kendra not with the team anymore
Eball
Playing well up 10 at half should be more!
Eball
Great steal and layup by Asberry BU weathers the Tech 8-0 run to go back up 10 44-34
Olympia3
Really good win. Better defense. Buggs played really well. Jayden too, too many turnovers as a point though.

Like keeping the pressure on. Good road win.

A bit concerned with Asberrys shooting. Struggling. But really like the team feel tonight. Great job ladies a coach on the road.

blueeyedbear
Good, solid rebound win. Now let's build on it with a win vs Kansas
slimecap

Sic 'em !!
Baylorkid
Olympia3 said:

Really good win. Better defense. Buggs played really well. Jayden too, too many turnovers as a point though.

Like keeping the pressure on. Good road win.

A bit concerned with Asberrys shooting. Struggling. But really like the team feel tonight. Great job ladies a coach on the road.

It's time to bench asberry and put both freshmen in the starting lineup
MrGolfguy
Great win

Anybody know why Jana played wearing a mask?
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
SABaylorFan
MrGolfguy said:

Great win

Anybody know why Jana played wearing a mask?
On the TV broadcast they said that she broke her nose in practice earlier in the week.
JeremiahJT
I went to the game and was pleasantly surprised at how good they looked. I do not watch any women's basketball on TV, so this is the first I had seen of them. Tech has been playing much better this year and I expected a close game and maybe even a Tech win. Not sure if this portends anything for the rest of the season, but it was a nice win.
canoso
Nice to see us dominate today.
FFA0329
I think the starters should be Andrews, Bickle, the 2 freshmen, and then Owens, Asberry and Van Gytenbeek can cover the last spot, I agree!
rileyroo
It was nice to see the Bears driving to the paint in this game. We didn't rely as much on the three.

And, I agree with the posts about Asberry. I think the time has come for her to be to be a bench player. Gytenbeek adds very little in scoring, but I was very impressed with her defense. She was always in the face of the Tech players.

Way to go Bears! Keep up that intensity against Kansas. The game plan should be the same.
Bone Squad
I don't know if would necessarily bench Asberry. She plays good defense and is usually good for one or two plays leading to fast break layups for us. But....when she hangs out around the perimeter and eventually shoots a three pointer, that is effectively a Baylor turnover. She's got to get to the rim or penetrate and dish, but no more standing around and taking jump shots.
Dcheetah
Wbbfan29
I agree. I love Asberry on defense, but maybe she would be better coming off the bench. I would like so see a big guard in there for some mix match opportunities. For her to be the " best shooter in the team" she has too many inconsistent games. I finally watch the tech game last night and when she missed three 3 pointers back-back-back it really hurt the team momentum. Nicki was visible frustrated on the sideline.
Eball
Wbbfan29 said:

I agree. I love Asberry on defense, but maybe she would be better coming off the bench. I would like so see a big guard in there for some mix match opportunities. For her to be the " best shooter in the team" she has too many inconsistent games. I finally watch the tech game last night and when she missed three 3 pointers back-back-back it really hurt the team momentum. Nicki was visible frustrated on the sideline.
I certainly get frustrated by Asberry and her shooting but her teammates and coaching staff have confidence in her so lets just hope she heats up down the stretch. Her defense is great and she often draws the toughest assignment. I say she will and should continue to start and we are developing a good bench with either of the two stellar freshman and JVG
Wbbfan29
I think our bench will hurt us down the stretch. Without Blackwell our bench is limited to Jana and Bella. I really wish we could use the height on our bench but I am aware that they aren't as polished as some of the other players.
Dcheetah
Wouldn't mind seeing Porter and Kyla getting a little more time if game appropriate to get more experience.
BU71
Dcheetah said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Porter and Kyla getting a little more time if game appropriate to get more experience.
I agree. Yesterday someone posted that Kyla is coming back from an injury. I hope she can return to practice and continue to develop. Porter got some playing time several games back but I haven't spotted her on the court since. I hope she can get some meaningful playing time because that means she is practicing well and gaining CNC's trust.
Dcheetah
Porter got about 2 min in the TX game 2nd quarter but I haven't seen her since.
Baylorkid
Bone Squad said:

I don't know if would necessarily bench Asberry. She plays good defense and is usually good for one or two plays leading to fast break layups for us. But....when she hangs out around the perimeter and eventually shoots a three pointer, that is effectively a Baylor turnover. She's got to get to the rim or penetrate and dish, but no more standing around and taking jump shots.

I admit, I do like it when she gets out and someone finds her for a layup when we get turnovers but she's horrendous from 3's! I'd rather we have size and rebounding than her "defense". We need offense more than defense at this time.
Eball
Baylorkid said:

Bone Squad said:

I admit, I do like it when she gets out and someone finds her for a layup when we get turnovers but she's horrendous from 3's! I'd rather we have size and rebounding than her "defense". We need offense more than defense at this time.
Get thee behind me Satan! said just about every coach in America that preaches Defense first!
Baylorkid
Eball said:

Baylorkid said:

Bone Squad said:

Get thee behind me Satan! said just about every coach in America that preaches Defense first!
what good is defense if you can't score yourself! Yes defense wins championships but Baylor can't score to save our lives!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.