Blackwell update?

6,558 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dcheetah
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I looked at the box score and didn't see Blackwell there. Is she not fully back from injury??
Jpbu152001
Every game they say day to day. On the pre game bench shot yesterday she didn't even appear dressed out. I might be wrong on that. In the Texas game she looked like she was limping when they pulled her over to the corner, told her something, and put her in for max 2 minutes.
fredbear
Ok experts, help us. If she did not play anymore this season, would she have a year of eligibility left for medical reasons?
chorne68
Yes…COVID year
ScottS
Any chance she is back in the next few weeks?
LitigiOSO
ScottS said:

Any chance she is back in the next few weeks?
She tweeted "Get ready" yesterday morning, yet I don't recall seeing her at the game last night. I thought she meant she'd be back in the lineup.
LitigiOSO
B.A. '92, J.D. '95
Jpbu152001
Same, but she followed that up with "it was a song" .
She wasn't dressed out last night either.
Baylorkid
Yes it would be nice to have her back but if she's not ready then let her get healthy and she'll have a full season next year!
BaylorBears_254
Next season? That girl is going to the league lol
Baylorkid
BaylorBears_254 said:

I know but she's barely played this year! I don't think people are going to draft her if she's still injured!
chorne68
With Blackwell and Edwards back and at full strength next year, we could be really good.
LitigiOSO
Baylorkid said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

I know but she's barely played this year! I don't think people are going to draft her if she's still injured!
She's predicted to go #7 in WNBA draft.
LitigiOSO
B.A. '92, J.D. '95
Task Force 2015
Blackwell's dilemma-Shall I Stay or Shall I Go?There seems to be a difference of opinions on this board as to her likely decision.I have to wonder whether her serious injury would adversely impact her draft status.To a certain extent,pro teams look for reasons not to draft someone high.
Bone Squad
They are quick to cut players before the season too. So if she isn't 100% and back in normal conditioning, even after getting drafted there would be a risk of not making the roster.
74Bear
Projection Round 1...take the money. Round 2 come back next year
blueeyedbear
LitigiOSO said:

Baylorkid said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

She's predicted to go #7 in WNBA draft.
That was in Nov - latest prediction has her 11th - I expect her to fall further every week she does not play.
WNBA GM's want to see her upgrade her perimeter game - most notably the 3 ball - which is the reason she came to Baylor to showcase.
Task Force 2015
The NBA draft is in June.The WNBA draft is April 10.The season starts on May 19 so time is short for an injured prospect to get well and play at a high level.I hope she can play soon and demonstrate that she is draft worthy.However staying for a healthy super senior season might be wise.Perhaps she could score some NIL money to stay.That didn't used to be an option.
ScottS
Task Force 2015 said:

The NBA draft is in June.The WNBA draft is April 10.The season starts on May 19 so time is short for an injured prospect to get well and play at a high level.I hope she can play soon and demonstrate that she is draft worthy.However staying for a healthy super senior season might be wise.Perhaps she could score some NIL money to stay.That didn't used to be an option.
That is the key right there. Much easier in WBB where the money isnt 7 figs.
Bone Squad
ScottS said:

Task Force 2015 said:

That is the key right there. Much easier in WBB where the money isnt 7 figs.

It's hard to turn down those tasty figs, though.
chorne68
No way a team spends a first round pick on her without seeing her play at her best.
BaylorBears_254
She has a pretty good resume in college to convince the few teams in the WNBA thats she's worth a first round pick.

They know what she can bring to the table. Only way i see her staying is for NIL money, in which it would be higher than an actual WNBA salary if we're being honest.
BaylorBears_254
Same people saying she wouldn't leave to the draft are the same people who said I was crazy when I mentioned Queen would be drafted first round
Task Force 2015
I think there is a consensus that NIL $ could drive her decision.FYI,one of my committee assignments before I retired was to advise our student-athletes about pro sports careers including whether to turn pro early. .$ became a huge factor when the student's family had great need for help.(Because WNBA salaries are not huge this need can be easier met by NIL $).I didn't work many WBB players because one can't leave early and be eligible for the draft unless4 years out of high school.However I noticed other factors that sometimes come into play regardless of sport.Believe it or not some athletes really cared about school and earning a degree or degrees.Another factor was the strength of the draft that year particularly relating to the position played by the prospect.Disability insurance availability also was a factor for some.Another positive change for staying(I think a minor factor) is that a full cost of attendance scholarship( now allowed) covers more expenses than the former grant in aid legislation.And,we all realize that injury status matters.I have enjoyed the dialogue on this subject and look forward to it playing out.
fredbear
Nice contribution with insight Task Force.
Woodsa7512
I don't even want to see her on the bench anymore her and the coaches do not care if she plays for Baylor. I'd see she is coming back say so if not let's be done.
Olympia3
Time to move on and just not talk about her, if she plays then we can.
ScottS
What is going on?
BU71
ScottS said:

What is going on?
It seems to me that Blackwell is being blamed for getting injured and the coaches are being asked to cut ties with her. Sound about right? Unfortunate
blackie
BU71 said:

ScottS said:

What is going on?
It seems to me that Blackwell is being blamed for getting injured and the coaches are being asked to cut ties with her. Sound about right? Unfortunate
What is your source for this? That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Who would ask the coaches to cut ties with her, and for what reason? Man, sometimes I hate fan boards. She tried to go a couple of times. The logical assumption and that is what most of us have to make since we are not close to the team is that she still did not feel right. But just like JTT on the men's side, you get to a point where you are ready to try and you won't know if you are truly ready until you try. JTT has tried and so far, so good. But just because he played last Saturday doesn't mean he is good for the season. It seems that Blackwell tried and is just not ready.

Once again where is any basis for your statement?
Dcheetah
have never heard that either and had been previously told she wouldn't play til 100%. She is sitting on the bench with the team and is a positive cheerleader.
Bear3
What!?!?!?!!!!
ScottS
WTH??
Bears09
That's a pretty damaging statement without context.

According to her Snapchat she's at the men's game tonight. I can't imagine if that was the case she would continue to show such support for BU athletics.
BU71
blackie said:

BU71 said:

ScottS said:

What is going on?
What is your source for this? That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Who would ask the coaches to cut ties with her, and for what reason? Man, sometimes I hate fan boards. She tried to go a couple of times. The logical assumption and that is what most of us have to make since we are not close to the team is that she still did not feel right. But just like JTT on the men's side, you get to a point where you are ready to try and you won't know if you are truly ready until you try. JTT has tried and so far, so good. But just because he played last Saturday doesn't mean he is good for the season. It seems that Blackwell tried and is just not ready.

Once again where is any basis for your statement?
To clarify, my comment was in response to the question about Olympia3's comment which seemed to dismiss Blackwell until she is healthy enough to play. I think that was a unfortunate statement and my comment was intended to share my disappointment in that statement. I am on record as supporting the WBB program, players and coaches and I pray for Blackwell's complete recovery. I'm delighted to see her with the team. From a distance she appears to be a positive example of the kind of student athlete that Baylor wants to attract.
Dr. J
Why are we still talking about Blackwell? Accept she is not going to play for us the rest of the year and move on…..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.