How did we not make it to a final four with this team?

2,347 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Task Force 2015
Baylorkid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I also love rewatching this game!

This team we had that year was so stacked on paper! I guess our chemistry wasn't as great on that team.
We had Kalani Brown, Nina Davis, Alexis prince, Alexis Jones, kristy Wallace, Beatrice mompremier, Lauren Cox, Juicy Landrum, and dekeiya Cohen! Lots of great players!
edible_waffles
If I'm not mistaken, we had to play Mississippi State this season. Unfortunately, that team was just as talented as we were. Lots of great Baylor teams were stopped by squads of equal talent
whitetrash
2016 and 2017 were two of the rare instances where KM was outcoached by a lesser talented team.

In 2017, Vic figured out that he could swing Itty Bitty from corner to corner along the baseline and Kristi Wallace couldn't keep up. However, before that happened, with the game tied and 3 seconds left in regulation, we had an inbounds play under our basket. Kalani had been dominating McCowan all night long, and we often had success on running an inbound where Kalani broke free under the basket for an easy layup. But KM set up Kalani too far out at the high post, and McCowan was able to push her away from the low block. We didn't get a good shot off (Alexis Jones I think) and went to OT. Ran out of gas and lost. UConn approached their semi against MissSt much like Michigan approached TCU this year. Played very disinterested and lost. MissSt had no chance against SCar.

In 2016 Scott Rueck at OreSt figured out to double Nina Davis and leave Niya Johnson alone and dare her to shoot. That, plus liberal use of uncalled moving screens, kept us out of the FF that year.
3rdgenbear
Those were amazing teams. They definitely could have won it all and would have on an NBA, multi-game series format, IMO. But, on any given night, when on their game, any of the elite teams can pull off an upset late in the tournament.

It's amazing that we were in that elite position year after year. Thankyou, CKM! Thankyou, Lady Bears!

This year, maybe we can be that team that can pull off an upset or two. We don't have as many ways to win, but if we are on our game...memories of WVU. Sic'em!

lookin4awin
I loved rewatching this game.

I loved watching Dirty Bird coach get the T at the end of the first quarter and Alexis Jones sinking both free throws

I loved watching how big and skilled our players were. What a talented group. Shame Beatrice had to transfer. How many other schools would she be the third center? However, do you remember the first half of the season that year when she was so out of control with the ball?

I loved the outfit KM had on for this game. Classy look.

Most of all, I just loved beating Louisville like it was a junior high team.
Task Force 2015
I attended the 2017 game in OKC.We had the more talented team and missed many opportunities to pull ahead.As mentioned above the MSU point guard played well,perhaps the best game of her career.And,Our guards turned it over many times plus Beatrice played poorly.
historian
Mississippi State beat us in the next game.
Baylorkid
Task Force 2015 said:

I attended the 2017 game in OKC.We had the more talented team and missed many opportunities to pull ahead.As mentioned above the MSU point guard played well,perhaps the best game of her career.And,Our guards turned it over many times plus Beatrice played poorly.

Kristy Wallace had the worst game of her career that game. She had like 7 turnovers that game. I felt bad for her
Task Force 2015
Yup
Bone Squad
A friend who doesn't watch the team as regularly as I do texted me during that game: "Is Wallace always this bad?" I explained to him that "no, she is one of the best in the conference, if not the country, in assist-to-turnover ratio."

She was just way off that night, and unfortunately, it happened at the worst possible time.
Task Force 2015
Double Yup.It was hard to believe.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.