Didi Richards released by New York Liberty

2,521 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by BUVA
uglytobone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Check out the comments. Fans love her as much as we did.
buildabear1
Collins should offer her a job. Coach/recruiter. Remember she was great at it.
franke
buildabear1 said:

Collins should offer her a job. Coach/recruiter. Remember she was great at it.
Who is Collins
Task Force 2015
Collen?
BearTiger
Additional WNBA news today--Kalani Brown was waived today by Dallas Wings. Two of our family's favorite players at Baylor were Didi and Kalani. This stinks, we were looking forward watching both of them play this season. What is going on with the WNBA?
buildabear1
Sometimes some of yall can be so silly. You know who I meant.
buildabear1
You could have just commented on the post or just not say anything. Key board warriors, real life cowards.
Dr. J
BearTiger said:

Additional WNBA news today--Kalani Brown was waived today by Dallas Wings. Two of our family's favorite players at Baylor were Didi and Kalani. This stinks, we were looking forward watching both of them play this season. What is going on with the WNBA?
Lots of talent with very few teams. Longevity in the WNBA is only for the most elite of players, that is, the top 3-4 on a team. Everyone else is a scramble for spots on a yearly basis.
HoustonBear15
BearTiger said:

I was expecting to see Kalani OR Charli Collier waived from the Wings, definitely not both of them
Bone Squad
Compare 30 NBA teams to 12 WNBA. Maximum roster size is 12. So a total of 144 players in the WNBA.

I'm going to make some unjustified leaps and assumptions from here, but bare with me. Let's say a professional playing career is 10 years. And let's say there is an even distribution of players from each draft class. That would mean about 14 players from each draft over the last 10 years. So it really is a tiny percentage of players that can stick around many years.
BUVA
Wow, both Kalani and Charli, who was a #1 draft pick. I know CC had some injury issues. It seems harder and harder for rookies and second-year draftees to "crack the code" and stick with a team. As far as I know, Lauren still on CT Sun roster.
Adriacus Peratuun
Size of league.
Size of rosters.
Hard Cap and top pay rate means most teams will leave 1-2 spots unused and always have at least 1-2 player on rookie contracts.
Offset schedule means top international players can play both overseas and in league. That kills at least 20-25% of spots annually.
Short schedule means top players usually can play an extra season or two. Taurasi & Bird played into 40s.

All of these items combine into a league where only a tiny fraction of post rookie contract players are employable.
BearTiger
Agree Dr J. There are 2 more days through Friday for each team to make their cuts down to 12 players on the roster. Players are holding their breaths to see if they make the team. WNBA season starts Friday. Big question is why would college player want to go to the WNBA if they have extra year eligibility in college and make more $$ in NILs? Unless you are projected to be top 10 pick. I read an article that said almost all of 2021 draft picks are either gone or unsigned.
ctxbear
The WNBA has talked about expansion for a few years now. If I were making the decisions, I would take a gamble on placing a couple of new teams in a small market with a historically strong NCAA women's program like Columbia, Baton Rouge, or, dare I say, Waco. The fan carry-over would make attendance AT LEAST as good as it is currently in the W.
pilgrim
The average NBA career is 4.5 years. The average NFL career is 3.3 years. I wonder what the average WNBA career is.
ctxbear
pilgrim said:

The average NBA career is 4.5 years. The average NFL career is 3.3 years. I wonder what the average WNBA career is.
If I had to wager a guess, I'd say a year or less.

(Edit: I'm assuming that counts all players that were drafted, not just the ones who have made it onto a final roster.)
Lynnp550
buildabear1 said:

Sometimes some of yall can be so silly. You know who I meant.
You could also spell our coach's name correctly. Good grief.
BearTiger
Read it's 3.5 years in WNBA. That includes those players who have been in the league 15-20 years. Turasi is in her 21st year. Bird just retired after 20/21 years. 3.5 is very short. Most rookies drafted in 2nd and 3rd rounds are cut before the season starts. Most of the players in WNBA are 1st rounders. Only the elite of the elite play longer than 3.5 years.
BUVA
Posting this article about top WNBA players--with the exception of Rhyne Howard--none are new kids on the block.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/37645315/wnba-top-100-players-players-2023-breanna-stewart-aja-wilson
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.