2019 Jordyn Oliver

35,397 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

A tribute thread for

2019 Baylor verbal commit Jordyn Oliver

Bringing Home the Gold

June 23, 2017

"Prosper High School Lady Eagle basketball's highly celebrated 5'11" Point Guard Jordyn Oliver can now add "Team USA Gold Medalist" to her already impressive profile.

Jordyn, who has committed to Baylor, was the only player from Texas chosen to play on the team for the United States in the FIBA Americas U16 Championship June 7-11 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

"Having the local support of the entire town of Prosper and the surrounding community has been incredible," says Jordyn. "And having the opportunity to be an ambassador of the US and to put Prosper on the Team USA map is really an honor."

Jordyn, who was a finalist but ultimately not chosen to last year's Team USA team, spoke to the committee after being cut so she would know how to improve and come back stronger this year.

"I worked this entire year to get to this point and I'm proud to say I'm going to Argentina to represent my country," she tweeted on May 31, 2017.

The 12-member roster was selected from a pool of 133 athletes chosen to attend trials at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs last month. After four days of trials, the committee selected 18 finalists then two days later made the final cut.

In a press release announcing the team, USA head coach Carla Berube from Tufts University said, "We are thrilled about these 12 players that the committee has chosen, I think we bring a lot of athleticism, strength and a high-basketball IQ. We are going to put together a strong team that plays together, plays hard, plays smart and represents the United States the way it should be. And, hopefully make our country proud.

Jordyn, along with 11 other teammates, did just that, bringing home a gold medal by defeating Canada in the final game, 91-46. What's even more impressive is that the 45-point gold medal win was the closest game Team USA had in the entire series where Jordyn averaged 5 points per game.

"It was such a humbling experience being with the best of the best," said Jordyn of her experience in Argentina. "I have never been that far down on the bench before but I just remembered what my previous coach Jet Terry told me, 'No matter where you start or when you go out there, play your best game in the time you're given' and that really helped me stay focused."

Team USA's first wins included a 91-33 win over Columbia, a shocking 100-37 defeat of Mexico, and the 79-32 win over Puerto Rico which bolstered them into the semi-final game against host country, Argentina.

"It was so crazy during the Argentina game. There was a fight in the stands and it was just really intense," said Jordyn. "It was really us against an entire country."

Despite the events, Team USA soared past Argentina 98-42 and secured their spot in the final game to face a strong opponent in Canada. With the win, Team USA earned a berth into the 2018 FIBA U17 World Cup, which is awarded to the top four finishing teams.

"Tamika (Catchings) told us during the trials that being on the podium and hearing the National Anthem was so moving, but we didn't really understand it until we were up there as a team. She was absolutely right," said Jordyn.

After the championship game, the girls were still high off their win and were told they could go anywhere for dinner to celebrate so in true gold medal fashion, they chose an American favorite.

"We chose McDonalds across the street from the stadium," said Jordyn laughing. "But as we were walking one of the girls just broke out into singing the national anthem and we all joined in, walking down the streets of Buenos Aires in our Team USA gear and gold medals. It was awesome."

Jordyn started playing basketball at the age of 4, while living in Vallejo, California. She has come a long way and in her first two years of high school basketball has earned some of the area's top awards such as 2017 SportsDay All-Area Team, 2017 District 14-5A Offensive Player of the Year, 2017 TABC Girls' All State Class 5A, 2017 TABC Girls' All Region Class 5A Region II, 2017 MVP Prosper Holiday Tournament, 2016 SportsDay Newcomer of the Year, 2016 District 10-5A Offensive Player of the Year, 2016 TABC Girls' All State Class 5A, 2016 TABC Girls' All Region Class 5A Region II, 2016 Class 5A Total Points Leader (544), 2016 MVP Prosper Holiday Tournament, 2016 MVP Royce City Tournament, and 2016 Frisco ISD All-Tournament Team.

Now that she is back home in Prosper, Jordyn says she is looking forward to her junior year at Prosper High School but is still keeping an eye on the goal of U17 Team USA in Europe next year.

Jordyn still works out six-days a week, taking only Friday off. She says on the days she is off she likes to hang out with her friends, swim and do pretty much anything except talk about basketball.

"I really need that time away from all things basketball to keep energized," said Jordyn.

Jordyn will be playing basketball at Baylor University after graduation, but is still undecided on a career path. Jordyn says she is encouraged when young athletes look up to her because even as successful as she has been, there was a time when she lacked confidence and had to overcome obstacles.

"Dream Big. That's what I tell them," she says. "There will always be competition and always someone watching, just be the best YOU you can be. Play your game."

- Jason Reynolds, weareprosper.com

slimecap
`

Jordyn Oliver (5th from left)

May 11, 2016

"Even as a high school freshman, Jordyn Oliver is setting herself up for a very promising future in basketball.

Oliver, already a standout guard at Prosper, has committed to Baylor as a Class of 2019 prospect.

"It's in a perfect location it's two hours from my house," Oliver said. "Coach Kim (Mulkey) is like a mom to me now. (I love) just the environment, and everything."

Oliver chose the Lady Bears over Louisville, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Georgia Tech and Georgetown
pulling in those offers
despite having just one year of high school experience.

She said she immediately built a solid relationship with Mulkey, who has coached Baylor since 2000 and led the Lady Bears to national championships in 2005 and 2012.

"I just love coach Kim, and how she talks to me and how I'm honest with her, and just everything about her," Oliver said. "I love Baylor."

Oliver immediately demonstrated her skills at Prosper during her first year on campus. She averaged 18.5 points, 7.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game, helping the Eagles go 30-6 and reach the Class 5A regional semifinals.

She said she can play multiple positions and is willing to play any role at Baylor.

"I think I can bring my versatility and be able to be a point guard and a forward," Oliver said. "And play multiple positions so (Mulkey) can recruit other positions and I can move around each year, based on the roster, and how they play and how she coaches."

- Mitch Blomert, Waco Tribune-Herald
slimecap
November 21, 2017

Prosper High School
"2019 Baylor commit Jordyn Oliver is playing as well as I've ever seen her. Oliver's confidence seems to be at an all-time high after making the FIBA Americas gold medal winning USA U-16 National team this summer. Complimenting the do-it-all Oliver is vastly underrated 2018 point guard Mackenzie Hewitt and 2018 guard Lexi Lightfoot.

• X-FACTOR Defense, rebounding, enough scoring from others. Prosper can score and if they prove they can guard and hit enough perimeter shots to give Oliver room to attack they will be a tough out in the spring."

- Jason Key, Premier Basketball
Hairy Bear
Great post, thanks.
Chibears2
Looking forward to next year's signing class as much as I did this year.
Pale Rider
Chibears2 said:

Looking forward to next year's signing class as much as I did this year.

No kidding. Incredible.
slimecap
December 1, 2017

`
slimecap
January 26, 2018

"Last year at this time, the Prosper girls basketball team was rolling. The Lady Eagles sported a 9-1 record and were in a fierce battle with rival The Colony for the District 14-5A crown.

Fast forward a year, and not only is Prosper soaring through the season yet again as a state-ranked squad, but have flown to new heights in 2017-18.The Lady Eagles enter tonight's game against McKinney North as the No. 6 program in Texas for Class 5A and sport an impressive 10-0 mark in district action thus far.

Head coach Trey Rachal and his squad have achieved such regular-season success despite graduating four players in Bailey Lightfoot, Hannah Reynolds, Alexa Boushey and Taylor Stevenson last season that are all off playing at the collegiate level today.

"It has kind of surprised some people when they saw we lost four players playing college basketball that we would take a dip, but our young kids have stepped up," he said. "Those young players like Maddie Willis, Maddie Cleary, Scout Huffman and KenzieVerhulst have played hard and defended so well."

According to Prosper junior guard Jordyn Oliver, who leads 14-5A in scoring with 19.7 points per game, the team's younger players filling in major roles on the team have been a recipe for prosperity.

"[Willis] went from not playing at all to becoming a starter, and she has played her role to the best of her ability," she said. "[Cleary] went from not playing as much to being the sixth man off the bench. She hits big-time shots and gives us four to five 3-pointers a game."

But the true heart and soul for this team lies within its two stars in Oliver and senior point guard Mackenzie Hewitt.

The dynamic backcourt duo is now in year No. 3 of competing alongside each other and has built quite the bond as Hewitt enters her final campaign with Prosper.

"Mack is something else and I love her to death," Oliver said. "She has great court vision and is just a great point guard to play with. She's very vocal and she will yell at you, but at the end of the day you know it's all out of love. We're the best of friends."

Both girls were pivotal pieces in last year's unit that advanced to the third round of the playoffs before losing a heartbreaker to Frisco Liberty, 49-46. However, that gut-wrenching defeat helped the Lady Eagles tremendously this season as they look to finally take that next step this postseason.

"The theme for us this year has been what will help us take that next step," Rachal said. "Two years ago we lost a close one in the regional tournament. Last year, we were so close to beating Liberty. We have talked a lot about details and the little things, and we're going to try and figure out how to get over that hump this year."

Certainly a brutal non-district schedule consisting of all potential playoff teams helps, as Rachal and Co. faced powerhouse programs such as Allen, McKinney, Amarillo, Argyle, Mansfield Timberview and Mansfield Summit.

They escaped with victories in all of those except three two of which they feel let slip away in a 56-55 loss to No. 2-ranked Timberview and a blowout defeat to Allen after taking down McKinney earlier in the same day.
Nonetheless, those performances regardless of the final score proved that Prosper can compete with any team in the state.

But first, a pair of arduous opponents stand in the way of Prosper's quest for a flawless 14-0 district record when they tipoff against North tonight and The Colony on Tuesday two teams that got the best of the Lady Eagles at this exact time in 2017."

- Bryan Murphy, Celina Record
GarlandBear84
Thx for the informative posts. Is she our only commit so far for 2019?
DFW Bill
Yes, two years ago as a Soph.
slimecap

slimecap

Jordyn Oliver #11
June 2, 2017
Dcheetah
For those that have seen her play, what kind of player is Jordan? Slasher/shooter/distributor/D?
Pale Rider
Dcheetah said:

For those that have seen her play, what kind of player is Jordan? Slasher/shooter/distributor/D?

Yep.
slimecap

Wichitabear
Lolol I assume all of those things
zt1014
She is on the rise. Now no.6 overall in the class. Obviously has done some major things to cause the rise.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/23315765/baylor-lady-bears-recruit-jordyn-oliver-continues-rise-hoopgurlz-recruiting-rankings
slimecap

Wichitabear
Impressive!
uglytobone
zt1014 said:

She is on the rise. Now no.6 overall in the class. Obviously has done some major things to cause the rise.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/23315765/baylor-lady-bears-recruit-jordyn-oliver-continues-rise-hoopgurlz-recruiting-rankings
Nice read. Thanks for posting.
slimecap

# 82 Jordyn Oliver
slimecap
JORDYN OLIVER

setshot
The little that I have seen of her has been impressive. She is a physical, aggressive player, very strong rebounder from her position, good defender by all accounts, and capable scorer. She has a shot that I have not seen many girls her age capable of, a turn around baseline jump shot. Making that shot with any consistency requires strength and coordination, and she possesses both. I really believe that if she can make a three point shot at 35 - 40% accuracy, she will be a huge asset to the Lady Bear program, because she seems to have almost every other aspect of the game well in hand. She is the only commitment we have for 2019, so there may be a couple more to come. She makes it a very good class all by herself.
bowdedg
bowdedg
slimecap

18 Aug 2018
Posted on twitter by Coach Wendy Bartlett
slimecap

The 15 is an INVITE ONLY 3 Day Skills Academy
for elite Guards and Wings from around the Country

From a skills perspective, athletes work on ball handling, shooting, transition offense & defense, creating space with and without the dribble, efficient dribbling, being effective off the ball, strength & condition and more. Using University level equipment such as the shooting machine and Vertimax.

The 15 is about building the entire female athlete and empowering these young ladies to utilize their platform. There are breakout sessions after workouts where athletes are taught brand creation/recognition, game tape analysis, entrepreneurship, mentoring and social media. Daily guest speakers discuss professionalism.

- from Triple Threat Training website
setshot
Does anyone know whether or not the Lady Bears are still recruiting Angel Reese, and whether she still has us high on her list of favorites? She appears to be a really fine prospect, one that would be a good fit for this program.
Dcheetah
We made her final 10 list.
bowdedg
Dcheetah
https://twitter.com/J_Ollie33/status/1043880976768741376/photo/3
slimecap

slimecap

setshot
Angel Reese has dropped Baylor from her list of preferred schools, or so I have read.
DFW Bill
The first day of the early signing period is Wednesday November 14th. It ends November 21st this year.

Outside of Oliver there is no indication of a commitment. Would not be shocked at a transfer announcement, coming to Baylor, in the spring of 2019.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.