I Won't Back Down

5,131 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
`

Q. What about writing a book?

Kim Mulkey
"Right after the national championship Peter May with the Boston Globe approached me about doing it ... It's been a two year process, and the title of it is Won't Back Down. That title came from the Tom Petty song, I love that song. It kind of describes me. I'm just not going to back down. I'm a fighter, I'm a competitor, that's how we came up with the title."

- Big 12 Media Day, 16 Oct 2007

Rest in Peace, Tom Petty
October 20, 1950 - October 2, 2017
bowdedg
Enjoyed her book! Great insight to a champion.
RioRata
RIP Tom
Hairy Bear
I have now read to the book thanks to this post. And I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would recommend it anyone interested in BU WBB, or college basketball in general.
slimecap

ScottS
I read it. Good stuff.
slimecap

historian
slimecap said:

Great shirt!!

I also like the one Lauren's Dad wore during the tournament.
ChapBear
slimecap said:

`

Q. What about writing a book?

Kim Mulkey
"Right after the national championship Peter May with the Boston Globe approached me about doing it ... It's been a two year process, and the title of it is Won't Back Down. That title came from the Tom Petty song, I love that song. It kind of describes me. I'm just not going to back down. I'm a fighter, I'm a competitor, that's how we came up with the title."

- Big 12 Media Day, 16 Oct 2007

Rest in Peace, Tom Petty
October 20, 1950 - October 2, 2017
Got to see Tom Petty at the Hollywood Bowl a week before his death. Great show. He went out rocking.
BUVA
I want one of those shirts---please, take my money!!!
historian
A few weeks ago, on the day of the Lady Bears' victory parade, I saw a woman with a special T-shirt and was thinking the same thing.

Unfortunately, I don't remember anything about the woman or her shirt so I don't know if it's the same shirt. However, I do remember her talking to Mulkey and the coach telling her to make more of the shirts because she wanted one. I have no idea what came out of that.
historian
slimecap said:

My favorite Mullkey line was the last one from Holly's postgame interview: "I just know when you lose a great player in the middle of a national championship game, you're not supposed to win."
SABaylorFan
historian said:

slimecap said:

My favorite Mullkey line was the last one from Holly's postgame interview: "I just know when you lose a great player in the middle of a national championship game, you're not supposed to win."
And yet somehow the Lady Bears found a way to come away with a victory and a national championship. That's a sign of a truly great team.
historian
SABaylorFan said:

historian said:

slimecap said:

And yet somehow the Lady Bears found a way to come away with a victory and a national championship. That's a sign of a truly great team.
That's one reason I like the line so much! The other is that the interview began with her saying, "God is great."
slimecap
historian said:

Great shirt!! I also like the one Lauren's Dad wore during the tournament.
historian
IIRC, he ware that shirt for every game!
mlb60
I view watching Kim Mulkey coach as a privilege, just as I did watching Pat Summitt. One rarely has a chance to see true greatness in sports and know that they may never see anyone better at their job again in their lifetime. That's how I felt about watching Mariano Rivera pitch. He was and is the greatest closer in MLB history and I doubt I'll ever see anyone better in my lifetime. I feel the same way about Kim Mulkey as our basketball coach. She'll retire one day, but the selfish side of me dreads that day.
And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
BUVA
They gave those shirts out at the Ferrell Center during a game the previous season.
historian
I wish I'd been there! At least I managed to get some other great giveaways--including the Senior Day T-shirts.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.