Seed prediction thread

18,109 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Eball
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Everything you need to know for Selection Monday
by Charlie Creme, ESPN
March 12, 2018

Link to entire article
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22729001/everything-need-know-selection-monday

Excerpt
"So what happens if the committee makes Baylor a No. 1 seed? The dynamic of the bracket changes quite a bit.

If the Lady Bears are a No. 2 seed in Lexington --
Baylor's spot in the most recent espnW Bracketology
and in the committee's last reveal --
that means fellow No. 2 seed Oregon is in Spokane, No. 2 Texas is in Kansas City and No. 2 South Carolina is in Albany.

However, Baylor as a No. 1 seed would likely go to Kansas City
with Notre Dame as the No. 2.

That pushes Mississippi State elsewhere
and since Albany is already accounted for by UConn --
and it's unlikely the committee would pull Louisville out of Lexington --
the Bulldogs would get sent to Spokane.

Oregon would stay in Spokane as the No. 2 for the same geographic proximity reasons that the Cardinals stay in Lexington.

That also would move South Carolina to Lexington and Texas to Albany.

Two different possibilities for Baylor, and two different brackets for the top seeds.
The first scenario seems most likely."
BUbackerinET
Lion82 said:

zt1014 said:

Yea, we beat teams that most likely will not make the tourney. Also, after beating Texas 3 times we knocked them out of the Top 10 RPI. The committee doesn't care around the USA today rankings. We only have beaten two teams in the RPI top 15 No.12 Texas and No.Stanford.

Maryland is prime example last year and they ended up a 3seed. ND has the no. 2 RPI and #1 SOS. They also only have losses to the No.1 RPI UConn and No.3 Louisville x2.

I want us to be a No.1 seed however, the teams we have beaten other than Texas and Stanford are weak. The committee made it clear last year that RPI and SOS are important to them.

So this season if we would have lost to uconn and lost to Louisville by 33 like Norte Dame did we would be More deserving of a number 1 seed? The quality loss drives me crazy. The NCAA/media comes up with this stuff to justify their bias. Uconn is great but their league is a total joke.
This is so true, and to the point where I've given up all hope of a real metric deciding these issues. The only metric that matters is the money...PERIOD.
blackie
If his first scenario is true it almost begs the question of what "advantage" did Baylor get over Texas by beating them. Doubt there is much difference in the metrics between Louisville and MSU. The way some people talk Louisville is the better of the two. If so, Texas gets sent somewhere closer against a potential weaker (however so slight) opponent that has to go a long way (MSU), while we go against the better team in their backyard. The only way it would be worse is if we got sent to Albany. Obviously beating UT three times means nothing in his first scenario.

Even if MSU is better than Louisville, we still end up against what is essentially a home game for Louisville while UT is in more of a neutral court in Big XII country.
WasheFuzzy
greggor25 said:

We will be a 2 in Lexington bracket with Louisville being the 1.
I agree. The committee is going to punish us for the weak OOC schedule. They made it clear last year with Maryland that the put great value on the OOC schedule yet we played a high number of low quality teams.
Bearpaws
Want to stay away from Uconn. When they played Texas they had Caron-Goudreau who actually played really well and it was earlier in Uconn schedule when they had players coming back from injuries. Since then they have looked really good. We should be a 1 but we are being shouted down but I would take any other team and feel confident.
whitetrash
Beyond the 1 seed/2 seed debate, you also need to look at who else may end up in your region.

Top 16 will likely consist of:

4 SECSECSEC (MissSt, SCar, 2 out of UGa, Tenn, Aggy)
3 or 4 ACC (ND, Lville, FlaSt, maybe NCSt and/or Duke)
3 or 4 Pac12 (Oregon, UCLA, OreSt and/or Stanford)
2 Big 12 (BU, UT)
1 B1G (OhioSt; slight chance of Maryland)
1 AAC (UConn)

Supposedly NCAA changed the rules after the 2011 BU/Aggy debacle such that only one team per conference is among the top 4 seeds in a regional (unless the conference gets 5 or more of the top 16). So that means at least one SEC in top 4 in each region (with an outside chance of 5 SEC), and one ACC in each region. Plus a Pac 12 in at least 3 regions, and BU/UT in separate regions.

Assume UConn, Lville, MissSt are locks as 1s. That means no other SEC in MissSt's region, and no other ACC in Lexington.

If BU and ND are in the same region (as they should be, but the intersection of logic and NCAA is a null set), 1 vs 2 seed only matters in who you play in the Sweet 16. One of them will be from SEC and likely one from Pac12.

UT and SCar will face either UConn or Lville. UConn region will get an ACC, and whichever one gets UT will also get an SEC. If you pair Lville and SCar, then the 3 and 4 would likely be OhioSt and a Pac 12.

So here's a guess:

Albany:
1 UConn
2 UT
3 FlaSt or Tenn
4 UGa/Aggy or NCSt

Lexington:
1 Lville
2 SCar
3 Ohio St
4 Stanford or OreSt

KC:
1 ND
2 BU
3 UCLA or Tenn
4 UGa/Aggy or UCLA/Stanford

Spokane:
1 MissSt
2 Oregon
3/4 whoever isn't sent elsewhere

So if BU and ND end up in KC, does the NCAA make BU a 2 and set up a rematch with UCLA? Or possible meeting with Tenn? Or would they put us at 1 and Aggy at 4 to set up a possible Sweet 16 meeting?
The Old BEAR
BUbackerinET said:

Lion82 said:

zt1014 said:

Yea, we beat teams that most likely will not make the tourney. Also, after beating Texas 3 times we knocked them out of the Top 10 RPI. The committee doesn't care around the USA today rankings. We only have beaten two teams in the RPI top 15 No.12 Texas and No.Stanford.

Maryland is prime example last year and they ended up a 3seed. ND has the no. 2 RPI and #1 SOS. They also only have losses to the No.1 RPI UConn and No.3 Louisville x2.

I want us to be a No.1 seed however, the teams we have beaten other than Texas and Stanford are weak. The committee made it clear last year that RPI and SOS are important to them.

So this season if we would have lost to uconn and lost to Louisville by 33 like Norte Dame did we would be More deserving of a number 1 seed? The quality loss drives me crazy. The NCAA/media comes up with this stuff to justify their bias. Uconn is great but their league is a total joke.
This is so true, and to the point where I've given up all hope of a real metric deciding these issues. The only metric that matters is the money...PERIOD.
You left something out.The word LIBERAL leaning.
The NCAA leans as far left as college professors. A school like Baylor is loved as much as California loves President Trump.
lookin4awin
I still think we are going to be a 1 seed. But, even if not, it will be really entertaining to hear Mulkey in interviews talk about it. She will definitely use this as motivation. Perhaps it is best if we are a #2 seed.
BaylorProud77
This probably off the subject a bit. Louisville scares me. Really worried about playing them
greggor25
BaylorProud77 said:

This probably off the subject a bit. Louisville scares me. Really worried about playing them
Everybody thinks we can beat them by double digits.
BaylorProud77
I do hope this is right. Still scared
bearbone11
Don't forget how badly we trashed Louisville last year. They are a good team but we should not fear them.
Bigtexasmike
Doug said:

BUbackerinET said:

Lion82 said:

zt1014 said:

You left something out.The word LIBERAL leaning.
The NCAA leans as far left as college professors. A school like Baylor is loved as much as California loves President Trump.

Please just stop, why must people bring politics into everything. Have you nothing more interesting to add to this thread?
Up up down down LR LR BA select start
trumpetbear
greggor25 said:

We will be a 2 in Lexington bracket with Louisville being the 1.
This is how I see it playing out as well.
Gust Avrakotos
If we draw Louisville, we sure as heck better guard Shomer Shabbas. That chick ripped us with 3's last time around and we had no answer for her.

She's a better Brooke McCarty.

Gust
blackie
Gust Avrakotos said:

If we draw Louisville, we sure as heck better guard Shomer Shabbas. That chick ripped us with 3's last time around and we had no answer for her.

She's a better Brooke McCarty.

Gust
You mean the team we beat by 30 last year. Nobody ripped us in that game for anything. Don't get stuck in the past. Shimmel left years ago. Guess you don't follow WBB all that close. Durr had 5 threes last year and we still smoked them.
BaylorProud77
I had forgot we beat them by 30 last year. Age is catching up with me. Ok I feel better Thanks
BaylorProud77
Almost 15 min to go
whitetrash
ND team dressed like Hans & Franz
BaylorBears_254
It's time
BaylorBears_254
South Carolina in UCONN region
whitetrash
UConn gets 2 SCar, 3 FlaSt, 4 UGa, 5 Duke
BaylorBears_254
Pretty favorable for them.
whitetrash
AAC only has 2 decent teams (UConn/USF) and USF is in Albany too.
whitetrash
Show the rest of the bracket espn. Quit this UConn crap fest.
BaylorBears_254
Really? Commercial already?
Dcheetah
UConn should have gotten Texas. They should be the last ranked 2 seed.
HoustonBear15
BaylorBears_254 said:

Really? Commercial already?
They'll probably do a commercial after each regional. Be prepared.
whitetrash
Lots of short travel in the first regional. Quinnipiac to UConn, Mercer, Duke, Belmont to UGa, USF to FlaSt
BaylorBears_254
Ugh. Im already prepared lol. 7min of the show was a UCONN love fest.
BaylorBears_254
4 ACL tears by 4 players? Goodness

This tells me they're going to give ND a #1 seed
whitetrash
"I'm Kristy Wallace I'm rehabbing an ACL. I'm Trinity Oliver I'm rehabbing an ACL".

What's your point espn?
BaylorBears_254
Yep. Saw it coming. We're a 2 seed guys
whitetrash
ND to Spokane. Lots of Irish there.

Thanks for the screw job NCAA
BaylorBears_254
That lets me know that SOS, RPI, none of that **** mattered.

Their "injuries" were the leading factor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.