Kristy Wallace signs with Australia Women's National Basketball League

2,862 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by slimecap
BiPolarBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://wnbl.com.au/uc-capitals/news/uc-capitals-sign-kristy-wallace-for-2-years/

UC CAPITALS SIGN KRISTY WALLACE FOR 2 YEARS

The University of Canberra Capitals have signed Australian junior and WNBA prospect Kristy Wallace on a two-year deal.

The 22-year-old point guard has spent the last four years playing college basketball for Baylor University's Lady Bears, in Texas. She co-captained the side in her senior year where she averaged 13 points, five assists and five rebounds a game.

Wallace tore her right anterior cruciate ligament while playing for the Lady Bears in February, but her injury didn't discourage WNBA outfit Atlanta Dream, who picked her in the second round of the 2018 draft.

She will arrive in Canberra next month to continue her rehabilitation and is excited to make her WNBL debut with the University of Canberra Capitals in the coming season.

"I want to take my game to the next level and I believe Canberra is the place to make that happen," Wallace said.

"I am really excited to join the UC Capitals, playing in the WNBL has been a big goal of mine. There is so much talent in the league. I can't wait to play with Leilani Mitchell, Kelsey Griffin and Marianna Tolo they are great leaders that I can learn a lot from."

The Queenslander graduated from Basketball Australia's Centre of Excellence Program in 2015 and helped the Australian Gems win bronze at the FIBA under-19 World Championships. She was also a member of the 2017 gold medal-winning University Games team alongside UC Capitals teammates Lauren Scherf and Keely Froling.

Wallace attended last year's Australian Opals camp in Phoenix, Arizona and was named in the All-Big 12 First Team and the Big 12 All-Defensive team after playing a star role for the Lady Bears in 2017.

Head coach Paul Goriss said Wallace had been a standout at Baylor University and was known for her excellent vision and court awareness.

"Kristy is a livewire guard who will bring excitement, intensity and hard work to the UC Capitals line-up for the next two seasons," Goriss said.

"She is a future WNBA player and we will continue to work with Kristy to break into the Opals team in the future.

"She is a perfect fit to play alongside Leilani Mitchell in the backcourt and together, they will form a dynamic combination for the UC Capitals."

Wallace will graduate from Baylor University next week with a degree in health and kinesiology.
Photo provided by Basketball Australia
4th and Inches
Jwal must be so proud... Kwal is a great kid!
DFW Bill
She is a great young lady.
Russell Gym
Gruvin said:

Jwal must be so proud... Kwal is a great kid!

Theywal a pretty good family
Born_A_Bear
Miss jwal and Kristy.
Pale Rider
Born_A_Bear said:

Miss jwal and Kristy.

Bunches and bunches.
Bone Squad
Hey, y'all. Isn't it sad when KWal and JWal are AWOL?
slimecap

April 17, 2018
from an Australia perspective

"Logan basketballer Kristy Wallace was 16th pick in the United State's WNBA draft where she has been secured by the Atlanta Dream.

News is a boost to the John Paul College past student who will base herself at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra while recovering from ACL surgery.

Wallace, a point guard, had been making considerable strides in her career prior to injury. Last year she was named in the national women's basketball team for a selection camp in the USA ahead of the FIBA Asia Cup. Her selection came after impressive performances at the junior levels for Australia, as well as being a standout at US college basketball powerhouse Baylor University. Her father John said at one stage she picked up a MVP award judged on all games across the US.

This year the Spartans junior was also a member of the Australian University Games outfit which won a gold medal, a milestone to go with her 2016 achievement of snaring bronze at the under 19 world championships.

- Andrew Dawson, Albert & Logan News
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.