The freshman are in route !!!

7,315 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CarmelBear
mimi25408
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Im so excited and i cant contain myself. (I am also very bored and this board has been dead lately) . Im so ready to see what these youngsters got.

Catlin BIckle - arrived in Texas yesterday with her dad.
Not Sure if they made it on campus yet.
Aquira DeCosta - left from Stockton this morning.
Wichitabear
I'm ready!!!
bowdedg
Ready for basketball!!! Glad to see the Freshman are heading this way. I think N Smith will be another 2 weeks or so, but everyone else should be coming to Waco by tomorrow.
geewago
Welcome to HOT & DRY Waco. Would be a relief to go to the Feral sinner right now and watch some basketball.
LadyBears42
Scott-Grayson arrived this morning.
mimi25408
Yea i think she will be with team USA
mimi25408
Cant wait until we get a family picture with all the girls !!
WacoKelly83
Aquira DeCosta
@d1_shiftteam
Finally in Waco TX aka my new home, lessgetit
9:53 PM Jul 3, 2018 from Waco, TX

bowdedg
KOKQB70
Bickle n middle, help me with others, sic em.
bowdedg
From left to right...Queen Egbo, Aquira Decosta, Chloe Jackson, Bickle, and Honesty Scott Grayson.
Big Bear
Egbo, Grayson, Bickle, DeCosta.
bowdedg

BUbackerinET
bowdedg said:

bowdedg said:

Reason for asking, as per RFI#6 responce, they gave us overall dimension as 162'-5"3/4 ( i.e 1'-0"+ 159'-8"1/2(Grid line 2.7 to 10) + 1'-9"1/4 = 162'-5"3/4).

Sorry about the above - working at the same time!

Love the looks of that - going to be a special group, I think...
BuinmyBlood
bowdedg said:

Gotta love Bickle's t-shirt:

"BU- Basketball Capitol of Texas"
bowdedg
mimi25408
ABC BEAR
bowdedg said:

Who's the short, cute blonde?
BigBeauregard
ABC BEAR said:

bowdedg said:

Kim Mulkey.
ABC BEAR
BigBeauregard said:

ABC BEAR said:

bowdedg said:

Kim Mulkey.
Yeah, I know. Just having some fun.
BigBeauregard
ABC BEAR said:

BigBeauregard said:

ABC BEAR said:

bowdedg said:

Kim Mulkey.
Yeah, I know. Just having some fun.

As was I. I actually thought you were referring to the first pic (Bickle), so I was being a little sarcastic.
setshot
Egbo was recently measured at 6'4", DeCosta is said to be 6'2" on one report, 6'3" on another.
Bickle is 6'1", unless she has grown another inch since last season, which is possible, of course.
Grayson is, I believe, 5'10".
NaLyssa Smith is 6'3".

These are excellent heights for this incoming class, because all of these players have excellent athleticism to go with their height. I am not sure about their wingspans, but I think that they all have impressive measurements in that regard, as well. It will be interesting to see how they are listed on the official roster in the Fall.
DFW Bill
setshot.............. The Baylor Lady Bears website recently posted the heights of our Freshman. Egbo, Smith and DeCosta are listed at 6'3" , Bickle as 6'2" and Honesty as 5'10". Chloe is 5'9"
setshot
Thanks for the update, Bill..
I thought that Bickle might well be at 6'2" now. based on the photos of her standing next to Egbo and DeCosta. She has impressive size and we know that her skill set and basketball recognition is very high.
I don't know about her defense out there, but I could see her playing at either the SG or SF spots, and even capable of filling in occasionally at the PF slot when Mulkey decided to go to a "small" lineup. She missed her senior year due to an injury, so she has to have some time to get into game shape.

Egbo is interesting in this regard. She posted very recently that the 6'3" (plus another 3/8") had now been updated to the latest measurement that had her at 6'4". That information was in a post somewhere in the Lady Bear Basketball posting on this board. It did not appear to be wishful thinking, but I don't recall whether or not she cited the source for the measurement.

Cox, we know, has varied between 6'4" and 6'5" measurements, but her wing span is a major factor in her success in blocking shots and in rebounding. I am not sure what Egbo's wingspan is. Having watched her in a couple of All Star Games, I am more impressed than I expected to be with her athleticism and physicality. She also had a good skill set, but one that needs a lot of the kind of work that Bill Brock is noted for. Whether it is 6'3" as Baylor now says, or 6'4" as Egbo has recently claimed, it does not change the fact that she is likely to be in the regular rotation at the post position, and I now think that she is likely to provide legitimate help there, and that will help Brown and Cox to stay fresh for the late stages of games.

I like Smith a lot, as I think that she is physically imposing at 6'3" and sturdy, and that her skill set is very good and likely to improve as she settles in at Baylor. She can shoot from out on the floor, and can battle in the interior. She is a prototypical power forward, and her presence will be felt as the season goes along.

I watched DeCosta several times out here in Northern California. She glides around the court, has some instincts for the game and some skills that are pretty rare, and is very athletic. She may be 6'3", but she also has an impressive wing span and and impressive vertical leap. What she does not seem to have, yet, is shot making ability on a consistent basis, though I have seen intimations of it in the high post area. I have read that she has a good stroke from the arc, but in five or six games I have not seen her attempt many, and I think that only one has been successful.

In high school she got most of her points in the deep paint, and that will be harder to come by against the size that she will encounter in college. She had two or three of her shots either blocked or altered in the McDonald's All Star Game. She does finish around the rim pretty well, but this, too, will require some adjustment. She is deceptive as a rebounder, is unselfish, and can pass the ball more effectively than one would expect from a superstar at her position. I have seen some impressive passing from her in almost every game I have watched.

At times she does not go all out while on the floor, and this is something that an introduction to Baylor Lady Bear basketball culture may correct, but it is ingrained right now. Still, she is an extraordinary talent and I think that she will flourish in her time at Baylor. I just want to see her shoot with more consistency out on the floor, and I think that that will eventually come. I think that she will be a great favorite with Baylor fans.

Grayson was unknown to me until the two All Star games she participated in. Those kinds of games do not often favor team oriented, highly structured players. They more often high level pick up games, and that favors players who aggressively look for their shots and who do not defer to players who might have better looks at the basket. This is particularly true of guards. It is also true that a player can have a hot hand, as Amber Ramirez did at the McDonald's game three years ago, and this can lead to elevated judgments about productivity once they join their preferred college program.

Grayson impressed me as being a very mature guard with impressive skills and the judgment about how to properly use them. Her shot making and the accompanying skill set left little to be desired, and she seemed to play with control and pace that one does not always see in those kinds of games. She is going to have a favorable impact on this program, perhaps this season, but certainly as a career player. She plays smart and she plays tough, and is willing to take whatever role is assigned to her.

Having said that, both Morris and Landrum have shown that they can perform at a high level and Mulkey favors experience. I expect Grayson to get minutes at both positions, and she may stake a claim to replace Landrum at the SG slot, and be able to slide over and spell Morris at the point. That very much remains to be seen, as Landrum is potentially one of the deadliest shooters from the arc in the history of the program, and she can defend. We don't know how Ursin will impose herself on the program this year, but I would not count her out at the SG slot, either. Grayson will have plenty of competition for minutes at the guard position.
KOKQB70
Dang Setshot, it's only July 9 and we read world class threads already, let's get this train rolling in Waco today, and thanks n advance for your keen insight in Lady Bears hoops, and Bless you!
Eball
setshot said:

Thanks for the update, Bill..
I thought that Bickle might well be at 6'2" now. based on the photos of her standing next to Egbo and DeCosta. She has impressive size and we know that her skill set and basketball recognition is very high.
I don't know about her defense out there, but I could see her playing at either the SG or SF spots, and even capable of filling in occasionally at the PF slot when Mulkey decided to go to a "small" lineup. She missed her senior year due to an injury, so she has to have some time to get into game shape.

Egbo is interesting in this regard. She posted very recently that the 6'3" (plus another 3/8") had now been updated to the latest measurement that had her at 6'4". That information was in a post somewhere in the Lady Bear Basketball posting on this board. It did not appear to be wishful thinking, but I don't recall whether or not she cited the source for the measurement.

Cox, we know, has varied between 6'4" and 6'5" measurements, but her wing span is a major factor in her success in blocking shots and in rebounding. I am not sure what Egbo's wingspan is. Having watched her in a couple of All Star Games, I am more impressed than I expected to be with her athleticism and physicality. She also had a good skill set, but one that needs a lot of the kind of work that Bill Brock is noted for. Whether it is 6'3" as Baylor now says, or 6'4" as Egbo has recently claimed, it does not change the fact that she is likely to be in the regular rotation at the post position, and I now think that she is likely to provide legitimate help there, and that will help Brown and Cox to stay fresh for the late stages of games.

I like Smith a lot, as I think that she is physically imposing at 6'3" and sturdy, and that her skill set is very good and likely to improve as she settles in at Baylor. She can shoot from out on the floor, and can battle in the interior. She is a prototypical power forward, and her presence will be felt as the season goes along.

I watched DeCosta several times out here in Northern California. She glides around the court, has some instincts for the game and some skills that are pretty rare, and is very athletic. She may be 6'3", but she also has an impressive wing span and and impressive vertical leap. What she does not seem to have, yet, is shot making ability on a consistent basis, though I have seen intimations of it in the high post area. I have read that she has a good stroke from the arc, but in five or six games I have not seen her attempt many, and I think that only one has been successful.

In high school she got most of her points in the deep paint, and that will be harder to come by against the size that she will encounter in college. She had two or three of her shots either blocked or altered in the McDonald's All Star Game. She does finish around the rim pretty well, but this, too, will require some adjustment. She is deceptive as a rebounder, is unselfish, and can pass the ball more effectively than one would expect from a superstar at her position. I have seen some impressive passing from her in almost every game I have watched.

At times she does not go all out while on the floor, and this is something that an introduction to Baylor Lady Bear basketball culture may correct, but it is ingrained right now. Still, she is an extraordinary talent and I think that she will flourish in her time at Baylor. I just want to see her shoot with more consistency out on the floor, and I think that that will eventually come. I think that she will be a great favorite with Baylor fans.

Grayson was unknown to me until the two All Star games she participated in. Those kinds of games do not often favor team oriented, highly structured players. They more often high level pick up games, and that favors players who aggressively look for their shots and who do not defer to players who might have better looks at the basket. This is particularly true of guards. It is also true that a player can have a hot hand, as Amber Ramirez did at the McDonald's game three years ago, and this can lead to elevated judgments about productivity once they join their preferred college program.

Grayson impressed me as being a very mature guard with impressive skills and the judgment about how to properly use them. Her shot making and the accompanying skill set left little to be desired, and she seemed to play with control and pace that one does not always see in those kinds of games. She is going to have a favorable impact on this program, perhaps this season, but certainly as a career player. She plays smart and she plays tough, and is willing to take whatever role is assigned to her.

Having said that, both Morris and Landrum have shown that they can perform at a high level and Mulkey favors experience. I expect Grayson to get minutes at both positions, and she may stake a claim to replace Landrum at the SG slot, and be able to slide over and spell Morris at the point. That very much remains to be seen, as Landrum is potentially one of the deadliest shooters from the arc in the history of the program, and she can defend. We don't know how Ursin will impose herself on the program this year, but I would not count her out at the SG slot, either. Grayson will have plenty of competition for minutes at the guard position.

Don't forget the LSU transfer Guard!
setshot
Good point, eball...
I have never seen her play, but as an experienced, fifth year grad transfer, one with a solid resume, she will log a lot of minutes, too. I can't imagine Mulkey and her staff inviting her to join a team with so much available talent unless they thought that she could be a vital asset in pursuit of a berth in the Final Four. Her natural position is at the SG slot, I would think, but you may in fact know more about this one than I do.
setshot
There is a photo of Bickle and Egbo in the post on WBB Big12, (last page #11), sharing a hug. Photographs often give a false perspective, depending on the angle, but if Bickle is indeed 6'2", Egbo is 6'4"........The difference in their height is striking.
slimecap
setshot said:

photo of Bickle and Egbo

mimi25408
I agree. In the all american baylor group picture, Egbo, and Smith are noticeably taller than DeCosta. I do know Queen did mention she finally measured at 6'4 on twitter a couple of weeks ago. I guess we wont know until later on .
Heart
slimecap said:

setshot said:

photo of Bickle and Egbo

And, that's a great hug! Love the pics of our new players. So glad they're Lady Bears
bowdedg
bowdedg
[post removed due to violation of revised post length maximums]
setshot
If these photos featuring Caitlin Bickle are any indication, she has a zest for life and a ready smile for just about everyone. She is attractive, athletic, and I seem to recall that she is a good student. She already seems to be very much involved with her new teammates. I know nothing of her leadership qualities, but I suspect that she possesses them in some measure, not in an intrusive, insistent manner, but in a joyful one. It will be interesting to see her career at Baylor develop, both on and off the court.
CarmelBear
bowdedg said:

Pic must be of the new freshman athletes. I recognize the blonde holding the red book as Taylor Moon, the heralded soccer recruit from Flower Mound Marcus. She was on the all ECNL national team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.