Brittney Griner selected 5th time as WNBA All-Star

2,868 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

BRITTNEY GRINER

Chibears2
Congrats to Brittney!
MrGolfguy
Odyssey's name is curiously missing; there are 9 guards listed - I know Odyssey is not the 10th best guard in the WNBA.
GarlandBear84
Congrats to Griner! I don't like it that uconn, nd, Stanford, and LSU have more All-Stars than BU.
slimecap

bawitdaball
I'm just curious how Stephanie Dolson didn't get in on this? I feel she is constantly invited to events that she doesn't have the talent to be attending.
willtalk
MrGolfguy said:

Odyssey's name is curiously missing; there are 9 guards listed - I know Odyssey is not the 10th best guard in the WNBA.
I know this is a Baylor site and posters rightfully should be in support of their alumni, but reality is what it is. It is obvious that you do not follow the WNBA that much or you would not be questioning her non selection. I am a big LA Sparks fan and that obviously makes me an Odyssey fan as well. She just has not been having a good season in comparison to last. The player most people who follow the WNBA believe should not have been on the team is Augustus. But she was picked because she is from Min. where the game will be played. Most believe her team mate Howard should have been picked in stead of her.

As to Odyssey not being the 10th best guard in the WNBA most fans would agree with you. She is much farther down in the rankings. Right now she is having an average season as guards go. It is not an easy thing to make the All Star Game. Even if you are playing well too many things have to fall into place. For one thing no team will get more than three players named to the game. The big three from LA are, Parker, Nnika, and Chelsea Gray. Even if Odyssey had a great season she would have to bypass Chelsea Gray, who has become who many consider to be the best all around point guard in the game. She can do it all.

Objectively Odyssey reached her peak in college. Her skills do not translate as well into the WNBA. She does most of her scoring on drives ( her outside shot is not that reliable). Her ability to drive is good enough to put her at the level she is at presently, but to reach the next level you need to also have an outside shot. The fact that Parker sort of hogged the ball for a time some games back really hurt Simms game more than any other player on the Sparks. So much so that she was actually removed as a starter. She is back as a starter and Parker seems to be focused more on what she should be doing. The ball really needs to be in the hands of Gray and second Sims for the Sparks to play well. They were considered by many, the best guard combination in the league last season. They started well this season but the chemistry went to hell when Parker returned to the line up. Sims is not a catch and shoot player.

The thing is that the coach showcased Odyssey in her last year in college and that helped her get the recognition that helped her get drafted at # 2. It wasn't really until last year when she was picked up by the Sparks in a trade that she was able to maximize her abilities in the WNBA. She has certain short comings, on both offense and defense, that were hidden in college but exposed at the next level. She like much like Chelsea Plum, were both a great high volume scores in college,, but now is just above average players in the WNBA. I certainly hope that the Sparks coach rains in Parker so the team can start functioning as it should. That will certainly help Sims be more effective.
willtalk
willtalk said:

MrGolfguy said:

I know this is a Baylor site and posters rightfully should be in support of their alumni, but reality is what it is. It is obvious that you do not follow the WNBA that much or you would not be questioning her non selection. I am a big LA Sparks fan and that obviously makes me an Odyssey fan as well. She just has not been having a good season in comparison to last. The player most people who follow the WNBA believe should not have been on the team is Augustus. But she was picked because she is from Min. where the game will be played. Most believe her team mate Howard should have been picked in stead of her. The most logical guard to replace her would have been Tiff. Hays.

As to Odyssey not being the 10th best guard in the WNBA most fans would agree with you. She is much farther down in the rankings. Right now she is having an average season as guards go. It is not an easy thing to make the All Star Game. Even if you are playing well too many things have to fall into place. For one thing no team will get more than three players named to the game. The big three from LA are, Parker, Nnika, and Chelsea Gray. Even if Odyssey had a great season she would have to bypass Chelsea Gray, who has become who many consider to be the best all around point guard in the game. She can do it all.

Objectively Odyssey reached her peak in college. Her skills do not translate as well into the WNBA. She does most of her scoring on drives ( her outside shot is not that reliable). Her ability to drive is good enough to put her at the level she is at presently, but to reach the next level you need to also have an outside shot. The fact that Parker sort of hogged the ball for a time some games back really hurt Simms game more than any other player on the Sparks. So much so that she was actually removed as a starter. She is back as a starter and Parker seems to be focused more on what she should be doing. The ball really needs to be in the hands of Gray and second Sims for the Sparks to play well. They were considered by many, the best guard combination in the league last season. They started well this season but the chemistry went to hell when Parker returned to the line up. Sims is not a catch and shoot player.

The thing is that the coach showcased Odyssey in her last year in college and that helped her get the recognition that helped her get drafted at # 2. It wasn't really until last year when she was picked up by the Sparks in a trade that she was able to maximize her abilities in the WNBA. She has certain short comings, on both offense and defense, that were hidden in college but exposed at the next level. She like much like Chelsea Plum, were both a great high volume scores in college,, but now is just above average players in the WNBA. I certainly hope that the Sparks coach rains in Parker so the team can start functioning as it should. That will certainly help Sims be more effective.
MrGolfguy
Thanks for your explanation but we'll have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for your explanation but we'll have to agree to disagree.
willtalk
I have one question. How many Sparks games have you watched this season? Sims in only shooting 38% from the field and is 25th in only one of the many stat categories this season. She is not even in the top 30 of any other category. You have to actually have good stats to make the team with all the best players in the world competeing.
MrGolfguy
How many Sparks games have been on TV in Texas? I've seen a few which i think is all there have been.

My question to you. Why was Odyssey on the ballot for fan voting if her stats say she's not good enough? (as you say)
slimecap
WNBA STANDINGS
23 July 2018

2 Atlanta Alexis Prince
3 Los Angeles Odyssey Sims
4 Phoenix Brittney Griner
5 Minnesota Alexis Jones
willtalk
MrGolfguy said:

How many Sparks games have been on TV in Texas? I've seen a few which i think is all there have been.

My question to you. Why was Odyssey on the ballot for fan voting if her stats say she's not good enough? (as you say)
You should read my posts carefully. I never said she was not good enough to make an ALL Star Team. I stated that their were variable factors involved in who made the team in any given season.

Most players are on the fan voting ballot. Even rookies who do not even see the floor. Sims

Lets rehash and put things into the proper perspective. My response was to your initial statement that you found if strange that she was not on this seasons team because she was certainly not the 10th best guard in the WNBA. To begin with All Star Teams are not picked based on a players ranking in respect to who they are considered better than. For example Vandersloot is considered a consensus top guard in the league year after year. She is in the conversation as the top PG in the league. She did not make the team because she missed too many games to be considered.

Last season Jaz Thomas and Layshia Clarendon made the team- one of them as a starter. They did not make it this year and Clarendon is not even a starter for her own team. Years back before they changed the process Shoni Shimmel made the team as a rookie when she was barely seeing the floor. Today making the teams is generally based on having an outstanding season, unless your have a long standing reputation like Sue Bird that will still only get you the benefit of the doubt. These are just some of the variables involved.

I never stated she was not good enough to make an All Star team. I said she does not have the benefit of a reputation that will push her in over another player with similar numbers in any given year. That along with the fact that her stats this season are not that outstanding rather middle of the pack. She is also not one of the consensus 3 best players on the Sparks this season. Even last season she was still 4th. Only three players per team make the team. That really works against her. One of the other three would have had to fall for her to even have a shot even with a good season. Then you have the defensive player of the year Beard on the same team as well. To top that off two guards who had been injured and did badly last season for the Sparks are heathy and shooting well. just too many good players on the same team.

The incredulous surprise that 9 guards had been picked ahead of her reflected your lack of perspective as to Sims actual status at present in the WNBA. I pointed out that Chelsea Plum had set a new NCAAW scoring record, was the first pick in the draft and yet in her second season is only averaging 7.8 a game. The WNBA is a whole different ball game than College. Some players do better while others skill do not translate as well to the next level. You can not go on how good they were in college. Sometimes with time they can adjust. But other times the issue is something that can not be adjusted too. A player can not get faster or taller and in most cases become much better outside shooters.

Under the right circumstances she could make an All Star Game but her not making it this season was no surprise, shock or injustice. She was not at all expected to.
MrGolfguy
willtalk said:

MrGolfguy said:

You should read my posts carefully. I never said she was not good enough to make an ALL Star Team.

You should read my posts carefully; i did not say that you said she wasn't good enough. I said you said her stats say she's not good enough. Big difference.
Heart
slimecap said:

Thanks, slimecap
slimecap

GarlandBear84
ScottS will like this video.
slimecap

slimecap

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.