Queen is 6'5" on the roster

7,143 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by willtalk
ChapBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I must admit that Queen plays "big" in that she is such a dominant rebounder but when she was recruited she was listed as 6'3". It is rare that a recruit would grow 2 inches in such a short time. I am very pleased however if this is true. It just takes a lot of pressure off of recruiting to replace Brown if Queen is that tall she can fill that slot. That means we can be much more selective as to our next big girl recruit.

By the way, I always thought that LC was 6'5" and not 6'4" - they must have rounded down on her.
fubar
How tall is she with the afro?
CavalryRoadie
In the few videos I've seen, she appears to be extremely active around the basket. I think she's going to be a good one!
geewago
Collier at Tx is also listed as 6' 5". Girl can play. Gonna be good matchups.
setshot
ChapBear, I join you in being a bit skeptical about height postings, since they seem to vary so much. Collier, for instance, has been listed as 6'4" for a couple of years, so I would have thought that she had topped out at that height, but perhaps not. I have watched her in a couple of all star games and she does not seem to play at the height mentioned, but maybe I caught her in an unfavorable situation.

Egbo is a most interesting player. She has been listed at 6'3" and that appears to be about right in comparing her to her teammates at Baylor. If Collier does not seem to play at her height, the same could be said about Queen, except for the opposite reason. She has a great basketball body and outstanding athleticism. I think that she can play with girls two or three inches taller, something that I worried about when she was signed. I knew that she was reputed to be extremely active and quick off the floor, and it did not take long to confirm that when I watched her in the all star games. She proved that she could hold her own at both ends of the floor, and quite frankly, I don't think she has done more than scratch the surface of her capabilities. I am very impressed with her and confident of her future in the hands of Bill Brock. Collier, I think, plays below her height, and Egbo in my judgment plays well above her height.

It was good to see that Coach Mulkey gave a lot of minutes to her new players. DeCosta was sidelined with an injury and NaLyssa was helping the USA team win in Mexico, but the others, along with Trinity Oliver, had more than enough opportunity to get the feel of what it was like to play as a Lady Bear. The level of competition was, for the most part, not that challenging, but at least one of those teams had beaten Kentucky in an earlier contest, so that win was impressive. Egbo showed her ability to be a real presence on the boards, and if NaLyssa and DeCosta had been available, it would have been even more of a show.

Caitlin Bickle's ability to shoot and to pass the ball has never been in question. Two questions attended her recruitment, and she answered the first; namely, whether or not the injury that sidelined her in her senior year had ceased to be a factor in conditioning and performance. She played a lot of minutes and was very active, and her sense of the game and of the moment was impressive.

The second question remains to be answered, but at least part of that is associated with her physical presence, so it may be that it will soon be determined favorably. That question is at the defensive end of the floor. The discussion before centered on where she was most suited, at the SG slot or the SF position, with the possibility that in certain situations she might even sub in at the PF slot in order to extend the floor with her ability to shoot from the wing. At that time Chou, Richards, DeCosta, and even Trinity Oliver were potential candidates for the SF slot, while the SG slot had Lambert, Ursin, Grayson, along with our LSU star transfer....

How and where Caitlin could get her minutes depended on how physically prepared she was and and whether or not she could defend quality Division I players at those positions. It also depended on how those competing with her for minutes were playing, especially at the defensive end of the floor. I have not seen her play since her junior year, and only snippets of those games.

Because of the quality of players on hand and those coming into the program, I thought at the time of the earlier discussion that it would take awhile to assess just where Caitlin would best fit into the schemes that Mulkey employs. She is bigger now than I thought she was based on the videos available, and we know that she has a good all around game, with a sense of what to do with the ball in her hands, so I think that her future is probably on the front line. If that is the case, the defensive assignments may be much more in line with her physical attributes and we know that offensively she poses some problems for defenses down there. This is a very interesting and promising freshman class.
bowdedg
Queen tweeted on June 18th, that she was officially 6'-4".
geewago
bowdedg said:

Maybe she tiptoed a wee bit when they measured
ChapBear
In Italy KM didn't even give her experiences players 50 percent of the time and still wiped the floor with their competition.

I believe that the players who will almost astound us this or next year will be Juicy & Moon. There is no player on this team that can on-ball guard or create her own shot like Moon. If she gains confidence there is no way she won't start sometime very soon. If Juicy can improve her defense a bit and develop her midrange game to match her 3point shot, she could be all conference.
Pale Rider
Love the discussion gentlemen.
WacoKelly83
It's just so nice to have such quality depth. As we have witnessed in recent years anything can and will happen it seems. God bless these young ladies and keep them healthy.
Bone Squad
I'm rooting for Moon to have a break-out season.

I know there was a lot of discussion last year of how Alexis Morris "doesn't play like a freshman." I agree, other than to say that my hope is that she did not just reach near to her potential very quickly in her first season, but rather that her ceiling is just incredibly high, and she has a way to go yet. Just think of the kind of sophomore improvement we have seen from the likes of Kalani, Juicy, Cox, or even Griner. Add something like that to what Morris has already shown us, and she'll be giving Kalani some competition for Big XII POY.
RealLarryDon
If she's 6-5, we still need her to grow another 3 inches.
BUVA
Bone Squad said:

I'm rooting for Moon to have a break-out season

Me, too!
Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to. ~ Mark Twain
Pale Rider
BUVA said:

Bone Squad said:

I'm rooting for Moon to have a break-out season

Me, too!

Me three.
GarlandBear84
Why do you think she needs to be 6'8"? We've had many great post players and only Griner was that tall though I think that was exaggerated.
BaylorBearWBBFan
Was Griner 6'8"? or was she 6'7"? she is listed at 6'9" nowadays. I have seen the picture of her with the incoming Oregon St. freshman and Griner is a tad shorter (even she admitted).

It is not uncommon to round up an inch (or two) on WCBB rosters. Queen is not the only freshman who was listed at 6'3" and somehow quickly spurted up to 6'5". If she plays like shes 6'5", does it actually matter what she is listed at? Will be interesting to see if she is taller than NaLyssa who has been pretty consistently listed at 6'3"
Pale Rider
BG was/is 6'8"
ScottS
I stand on my tip toes to claim 5'11" 1/2.
GoldenBear
geewago said:

bowdedg said:

Maybe she tiptoed a wee bit when they measured
If so, then she would have been 6 '5".
RioRata
ChapBear said:

I must admit that Queen plays "big" in that she is such a dominant rebounder but when she was recruited she was listed as 6'3". It is rare that a recruit would grow 2 inches in such a short time. I am very pleased however if this is true. It just takes a lot of pressure off of recruiting to replace Brown if Queen is that tall she can fill that slot. That means we can be much more selective as to our next big girl recruit.

By the way, I always thought that LC was 6'5" and not 6'4" - they must have rounded down on her.

David Robinson was 6'7" when he signed with the Naval Academy. Hopefully our Queen will also be an Admiral.
setshot
Egbo has a great basketball body for an interior player. She has strength and flexibility, based on what I have seen from her to this point. Height without strength does not fare well in Division I basketball. I think that with the nutrition program and the Baylor weight room ahead of her, Queen will be a factor in the paint in her four years at Baylor; she will make a number of taller players struggle to contain her on the boards, and once she has been in the care of Bill Brock, her offensive numbers will pick up, as well.
WasheFuzzy
Dennis Rodman grew 6 inches after his senior year of high school.
setshot
As Ashley has pointed out several times (much to the amusement of some on this board), wingspans really matter in sports. Griner had height but she also had a phenomenal wing span. Lauren Cox is probably a little over 6'4", but she also has an impressive wing span. That makes a player more effective because it makes them more deceptive.

The capacity to block shots and rebound is elevated, but also the ability to obstruct the passing lanes. The deflections there are especially notable because they very often result in transition baskets. Blocks and deflections get into the heads of opponents, and there is an alteration in offensive flow because of that, as well as decisions to forego shots in the vicinity of such a player, or to have the arc of the ball altered to the detriment of the shooter. Aquira DeCosta, for instance, is very athletic, but she has long arms and uses that to her advantage both defending and rebounding. She plays taller than her listed height.

Generally speaking, I don't think that the Lady Bears release information on the wing span of their players.
slimecap
setshot said:

As Ashley has pointed out several times, wingspans really matter in sports.

GoldenBear
Collier has been listed at 6' 5" on the Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill H S roster for her last 3 years.
setshot
Thanks, GoldenBear. I was not aware of that. Collier has more often been listed at 6'4" on various other sites, including (if I recall correctly) at the McDonald's AA Game. Suffice it to say that she has good height for the PF position, which is the one she seems to prefer for her collegiate career, and she has a very nice skill set.
willtalk
As Setshot alluded to- height does not always tell the entire story. Wing span is also important. What is also important is the height of a players shoulders because that is where the arms are attached. Some players have much longer necks than others. What they really need to measure is a players upward reach. As I always say in respect to this subject is that you seldom see players shooting or blocking shots with the top of their heads.

Keven McHale was an example of someone who not only had very long arms but an almost non existing neck. He was listed as 6'11" but was unstoppable in the low block. I recently also saw a picture of a young basketball player who was listed as 7'8" but who appeared to have Giraffe DNA. He had the longest neck I have ever seen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.