Tennessee vs UConn

1,994 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Hairy Bear
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

14 Aug 2018

"The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today the renewal of the historic series between the Tennessee Lady Volunteers and the UConn Huskies, starting in the 2019-20 season. As a longstanding rivalry, the teams consistently met from 1995-2007 but have not faced each other since. Widely regarded as the two most successful women's programs in the country, Tennessee and UConn account for 19 National Championships, dozens of impact players in the WNBA and many of the sport's all-time greats.

"The Basketball Hall of Fame is proud to celebrate all levels of the game for both men and women," said John L. Doleva, President and CEO of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. "When it comes to women's college hoops, there's no match-up more highly anticipated than that of UConn versus Tennessee. We're so proud to unite these teams in a contest benefiting great causes and honoring the late Hall of Famer Pat Summitt."

As part of the two-year series, UConn will host Tennessee during the 2019-20 season (Jan. 23, 2020), with a portion of the proceeds benefitting the Pat Summitt Foundation and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. In the 2020-21 season, the Lady Vols will host the Huskies in Knoxville (date to be determined), with a portion of the proceeds again benefiting the Pat Summitt Foundation and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, as well as the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.

"We are so excited to join UConn for games that will generate incredible interest for women's basketball and benefit the Pat Summitt Foundation, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame," Tennessee Head Coach Holly Warlick said.

Link to continue reading the article
https://utsports.com/news/2018/8/14/womens-basketball-lady-vols-uconn-to-renew-rivalry-in-benefit-match-ups.aspx
geewago
Go to Vol Nation and read what Vol fans think of this. Some are all for it, but it looks like 70% are opposed. Pat didn't want it plus they don't have Pat like teams anymore.
bowdedg
geewago said:

Go to Vol Nation and read what Vol fans think of this. Some are all for it, but it looks like 70% are opposed. Pat didn't want it plus they don't have Pat like teams anymore.
Does anyone really want to play UConn? I'm looking forward to our match, however, I'm sure most teams would look at it as an automatic loss.
Dcheetah
I do and think that we will beat them. If we don't, let's us know what we need to do to improve. I love these games.
4th and Inches
Personally, I would like UCONN on our schedule every year. I am tired of being told we don't schedule appropriately and I know that this team is as good as any other team in the nation -it's just a matter of who brings in the most that day.
RealLarryDon
According to ESPN Classic, Miami vs ND in football was a huge game in the ancient 1990s. It's not any more. Seems like the same probably applies here.
Hairy Bear
Very gutsy of Holly. Probably not a good idea, probably more of a distraction. But this is now Holly's team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.