LSU Board tables extension for women's B.B. coach

3,996 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by EatMoreSalmon
Lion82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_3fcfe024-b2f9-11e8-b7b8-9fe8446b1071.html
WNIT in '23
Lion82
I posted this because I think LSU will make a run for Kim. I'm not saying she would even consider it but we all know coaching at Baylor under the current administration is no picknick for any of our head coaches.
WNIT in '23
Bearly
How do we all know that?
baylor1984
Lion82 said:

I posted this because I think LSU will make a run for Kim. I'm not saying she would even consider it but we all know coaching at Baylor under the current administration is no picknick for any of our head coaches.
LSU isn't paying their women's BB coach 2 million a year. They hired Ed because he was a cheap hire. The state has money problems. Unless Kim is willing to take a 1 to 1.25 million pay cut this isn't happening.
setshot
I can think of multiple reasons for Coach Mulkey to stay at Baylor until retirement, and almost none that would prompt her to leave. This subject comes up almost every time a major coaching position is vacant, but it has never made much sense when closely examined.
fredbear
LSU pay would not be half of Kim's present salary. Kim loves BU. BU loves Kim. Heck, our current pres was a Wb player! Silly post. Uconn maybe.
gone to Tickfaw
Kim continually says she's loyal. Plus, Makenzie and the grandbaby would also have to relocate.

although it could improve, Baylor WBB enjoys major support from the community and school ... not so much at LSU... they put up a huge purple curtain to cover empty stands - akin our cover in the endzone at the old football stadium... gosh... i can't even remember its name...
ABC BEAR
fujobear said:

Kim continually says she's loyal. Plus, Makenzie and the grandbaby would also have to relocate.

although it could improve, Baylor WBB enjoys major support from the community and school ... not so much at LSU... they put up a huge purple curtain to cover empty stands - akin our cover in the endzone at the old football stadium... gosh... i can't even remember its name...
The Tarp Of Shame.

If Kim leaves Baylor for any other school it would be the biggest ***JH in the history of women's athletics.
ABC BEAR
ABC BEAR said:

fujobear said:

The Tarp Of Shame.

If Kim leaves Baylor for any other school it would be the biggest ***JH in the history of women's athletics.
Wow. Just busted by the algorithm censor. I'm going to have to up my game to outsmart this AI stuff.
Hairy Bear
I agree with setshot, for multiple reasons she is not going anywhere.
IslandBear
Hairy Bear said:

The same could have been said of Morris.
setshot
I think that Morris, as with any young athlete, is in a very different category than a coach, particularly one with the assets that Mulkey has accumulated in Central Texas and at Baylor. Alexis reneged on her original informal pledge to the Lady Bear program and committed to UCLA. That was a decision that she seemed to make at least in part at the urging of her mother, and one that she instantly began to question.

When she decommitted from UCLA and announced her commitment to Baylor, it was not immediately apparent that she was unhappy with that decision. She quickly established her importance to the program and played more minutes as a frosh player, particularly as the season wore along, than most expected, and after Kristy Wallace suffered a season ending injury, her importance to the team soared.

We have had quite a few players leave the Lady Bear program over the years for various reasons, but I believe that this is may be the most hurtful to the program for whatever the reasons for it. I cannot believe that it is related to oncourt issues, but the reasons are not now known.

The new transfer protocols will occasion many transfers over the next few years, particularly among Power Five schools. It is, in fact, already a reality. There will be others up ahead, some outgoing and others incoming.
IslandBear
IslandBear said:

Hairy Bear said:

The same could have been said of Morris.
Let me qualify that statement. "She is not going anywhere" is what I meant. As a rising PG, this was her time for the next three seasons. A bright future indeed and having earned the trust of her coach when Wallace got hurt. I did not see this one coming as I believed that "she was not going anywhere".

This one hurts more than starting PG, Kelli Griffin leaving when she saw that Sims had arrived and played against the "O" in practice.
slimecap
Oct 4, 2018
LSU Board of Supervisors approves 3-year extension for head coach Nikki Fargas

Link
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_6f3b86a4-c7eb-11e8-9fec-ef6c353a4fbb.html
EvilTroyAndAbed
I've said this before. A person I know who speaks with Mulk on the reg says she will not take another coaching job (unless something catastrophic were to happen at Baylor). Especially in Louisiana.

She's staying at Baylor until she retires from coaching.....but she will most likely retire before we think she would. Like, don't be surprised if she retired within the next five years.
Valkyrie
Mulkey is much more likely to retire than leave for LSU, in fact retirement is my biggest concern for women's basketball.
willtalk
Even as one who is looking at this from a purely logical standpoint, I can see no rational reason for Kim to even consider such a move unless it somehow involved the kidnapping and hostage holding of a loved one.
Hairy Bear
willtalk said:

Even as one who is looking at this from a purely logical standpoint, I can see no rational reason for Kim to even consider such a move unless it somehow involved the kidnapping and hostage holding of a loved one.
Historical note for those who are old enough to remember Y A Tittle a terrific quarterback. I was told that he was kidnapped by LSU fans and held for a while at a time when he was deciding on a college and as a result of that experience, did play at LSU. They were determined to have him at their school. I have never attempted to validate this tale told to me years ago by a friend from Marshall.
EatMoreSalmon
Hairy Bear said:

willtalk said:

Historical note for those who are old enough to remember Y A Tittle a terrific quarterback. I was told that he was kidnapped by LSU fans and held for a while at a time when he was deciding on a college and as a result of that experience, did play at LSU. They were determined to have him at their school. I have never attempted to validate this tale told to me years ago by a friend from Marshall.
Why, a titillating tale that is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.