Morris

107,899 Views | 392 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pale Rider
LadyChickBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Praise the Lord!!
Dcheetah
I can only imagine how good we would be this year if she could play.
The Old BEAR
Keep your fingers crossed. She's from my old hometown. She was not exposed to a lot of discipline and civil-ability while growing up. It will take a strong effort to toe the line. Tough to be a kid from Beaumont.
Beaumont has a monster crime rate and is listed as one of the most dangerous cities in Texas.
Black gangs are a huge influence along with intercity corruption.
The more they keep her away from Beaumont, the better her chances.
wuzzy bear
It does not matter who steps in. You got to have a Kristy Wallace out there i Mulkeys mind. That girl is the one that needs to be replaced. Her mentality was unreal. Not sure Morris as talented as she is could fit that role for the next 3 years. Maybe Mulkey has got her eye on another Kristy Wallace out there from Aussie or not, but that is EXACTLY the type of player we need. Someone who will do whatever it takes and loves Mulkey, Baylor, and all that goes with it. Maybe Morris has the writing on the wall. We don't know. But if I had to wait one stinking year to find another Wallace I'm willing to wait. I hope Mulkey is looking at that type player who will present NO problems at all and be a blessing to the program. Morris obviously was not.
Pale Rider
wuzzy bear said:

It does not matter who steps in. You got to have a Kristy Wallace out there i Mulkeys mind. That girl is the one that needs to be replaced. Her mentality was unreal. Not sure Morris as talented as she is could fit that role for the next 3 years. Maybe Mulkey has got her eye on another Kristy Wallace out there from Aussie or not, but that is EXACTLY the type of player we need. Someone who will do whatever it takes and loves Mulkey, Baylor, and all that goes with it. Maybe Morris has the writing on the wall. We don't know. But if I had to wait one stinking year to find another Wallace I'm willing to wait. I hope Mulkey is looking at that type player who will present NO problems at all and be a blessing to the program. Morris obviously was not.

They are one in a million wuzzy.
setshot
There is no question that Kristy was like having a coach on the floor, and Mulkey often said as much. She was a unique player and irreplaceable in some respects.

Morris, however, is the best pure point guard I have seen at Baylor. We have had some good ones over the years, including Lambert, Mulkey's first one who was quite extraordinary in some aspects of her game, but Morris has the rare combination of speed and quickness, combined with skill acquired over many years of playing that position, that few players possess. She can score, defend, facilitate, and attack defenses and few guards can do all of that with the level of poise and efficiency that she possesses. Her loss from this year's team was a crippling one, and playing the point by committee as we are now forced to do, using players who have not been accustomed to bearing that responsibility and making those kinds of decisions will hurt our chances for success this year.

Whether it works out for her to return next season or not is a critical factor for Mulkey, as it affects her recruiting and the combinations that she can put on the floor next season. Grayson was a highly ranked point guard coming out of high school, but for whatever reason she seems to be playing off the ball in this rookie season. She is a fine shooter and seems to make good decisions with the ball in her hands, but is not in the mix at the point this season as things now stand.

Ursin has not been a point guard in the past, though as a do-it-all player for her high school team she did play the equivalent of that position some. I do not think that it is her comfort zone, but I would like to see more of her on the floor. She is a dynamic player and one who works hard at her game, but she is not a pure point guard, and neither is Jackson or Landrum. Other teams will take advantage of Baylor now in ways that they could not if Morris was playing the point for us this year.
Scout Bear
setshot said:

There is no question that Kristy was like having a coach on the floor, and Mulkey often said as much. She was a unique player and irreplaceable in some respects.

Morris, however, is the best pure point guard I have seen at Baylor. We have had some good ones over the years, including Lambert, Mulkey's first one who was quite extraordinary in some aspects of her game, but Morris has the rare combination of speed and quickness, combined with skill acquired over many years of playing that position, that few players possess. She can score, defend, facilitate, and attack defenses and few guards can do all of that with the level of poise and efficiency that she possesses. Her loss from this year's team was a crippling one, and playing the point by committee as we are now forced to do, using players who have not been accustomed to bearing that responsibility and making those kinds of decisions will hurt our chances for success this year.

Whether it works out for her to return next season or not is a critical factor for Mulkey, as it affects her recruiting and the combinations that she can put on the floor next season. Grayson was a highly ranked point guard coming out of high school, but for whatever reason she seems to be playing off the ball in this rookie season. She is a fine shooter and seems to make good decisions with the ball in her hands, but is not in the mix at the point this season as things now stand.

Ursin has not been a point guard in the past, though as a do-it-all player for her high school team she did play the equivalent of that position some. I do not think that it is her comfort zone, but I would like to see more of her on the floor. She is a dynamic player and one who works hard at her game, but she is not a pure point guard, and neither is Jackson or Landrum. Other teams will take advantage of Baylor now in ways that they could not if Morris was playing the point for us this year.
I beg to differ. A girl named Sims comes to mind as to our best point ever...
Pale Rider
Scout Bear said:

setshot said:

I beg to differ. A girl named Sims comes to mind as to our best point ever...

Absolutely. No doubt about it.
setshot
Sims was unquestionably the finest guard we have ever had, but I saw her as more of a hybrid guard than a pure point guard, and Mulkey played her that way quite a lot, playing her off the ball in much the same way that she has played off the ball in the WNBA. She was a better basketball player than Morris, but for the point guard position, I am not sure that she was preferable except as a defender. Having Odyssey for four years, and seeing Morris for only the one, it is not yet a comparison that can be properly made, but if she returns and finishes out her career as a Lady Bear, we can revisit this discussion.
geewago
I agree with Setshot that Morris is more of what one would call a "true point guard". Sims however showed more versatility in her ability to do other things as well. Her defense was like no other. She often put the opposing PG completely out of commission.

As Set has said we are now playing PG by committee. Started primarily with Chloe and a little bit of Juicy from time to time. Now Didi is being thrown into the mix at times. They all do quite well but there are times you grit your teeth realizing they're not fully accustomed to their assignment. I think Juicy and Honesty are the only two who played any PG in HS. I have been very impressed by Honesty so far. She's far more advanced than many freshmen we've had in the past. Kim seems to only let her play PG when all the starters are on the bench. I am not sure why she is not trying to develop her more in that area, because the injury bug could hit again like it did last year. We had three out by the time we went to the big tourney. Plus we will need a PG next year and I'm not sure it's etched in stone that Morris will be back. But I trust Kim to make the right decision here as I know she understands that position as well as anyone could.
setshot
Odyssey Sims will always be the gold standard for guard play at Baylor, whether one sees her at the point, where she established herself as the best of breed in conference for her entire stay at Baylor, or as a hybrid, who could play off the ball and score against almost any defense. Our other notable hybrid was Kristy Wallace, perhaps the nearest thing to having a coach on the floor as we have ever had. Interesting contrast of the two players, both fine defenders, though no one I have seen was as good at that as Sims was, and both good shooters and penetrators. Odyssey did more with her midrange game than Kristy did, but I always believed that that was one of the strengths of Kristy and I wished that she had gone to it more than she did.

Kristy was a natural off guard who could play the point, whereas Odyssey was a point guard who could play exceptionally well off the ball. Both players were clutch players who thrived on pressure.

Morris shared duties with Kristy last year, but as the season went along she dominated at the point and Kristy thrived at the SG position until injury sidelined her. Odyssey tended to be a scoring guard, whereas Alexis was more of a facilitator, as pure point guards are inclined to be. In today's game the distinctions get a little blurred, but many point guards are scorers more than they are shooters, and since they have the ball in their hands, if they have quickness and the requisite dribbling skill, they can get their shot almost any time they really want to.

Odyssey could and did create her own shot as effectively as almost anyone you will see because of her skill with the ball in her hands and her strength to take a bump and still finish the shot, something that not many women can manage, but she thrived with that approach. There were times, particularly in her final year when they were so dependent on her to score, that she did not always look for her teammates because she was the focal point of the offense. Most of the pure point guards take their shots out of the offensive scheme or in transition, and are always looking to set up a teammate. Niya Johnson took that to the extreme, often passing up shots that she needed to take in order to set up a teammate. Her problem was being too unselfish, as far as scoring was concerned, and teams began to play her for that and it hurt the team, who needed her scoring as well as her passing.

Because Morris played at such a smooth pace, she was deceptively quick and had great speed. She also hit 50% of her three point shots. Unfortunately, she had an off night against Oregon State and it was part of the reason that we lost that game. Alexis took 19 shots, as I recall, and hit only five or six of them, and many of those were open looks from out on top where she had been deadly up until that game. My memory may be a bit off, but I think that those figures are reasonably accurate.

In her freshman year, Odyssey had bad games at Tech and against A&M in the upset in the Elite Eight and we lost both of those games. Coach Blair in his postgame comments said that they won in part because Odyssey was not on her game. I think that he feared Sims as much as he did Griner, and in the three regular season and conference tournament victories, Odyssey gave the Lady Bears the margin of difference that they needed to beat a very tough, very strong opponent. She was usually money in the bank.
GarlandBear84
Recent Tweet from Alexis.
Pale Rider
Well I wish Alexis had a solid spiritual mentor.
She needs to know and be encouraged to follow God's wonderful plan for her life.
Scottdye
Is she coming back as a LADY BEAR next season? Her Twitter account sure points in that direction.

Eball
Scottdye said:

Is she coming back as a LADY BEAR next season? Her Twitter account sure points in that direction.

I think that is what is being worked towards...of course who knows for sure...it will be a long process if she does have to miss being around and a part of the program for an entire year.
Scottdye
Just want her happy and healthy. If we had her this year, I do think we would definitely be a FINAL 4 team
WasheFuzzy
I'm not convinced Morris wants to be at Baylor. I really don't think she knows what she wants.
KOKQB70
Uh oh, why say that, or what ya know bro?
ladybears4eva
I want her back...,

But i do wonder if she is looking at Mississippi State... lots of posts about them...
BaylorBears_254
ladybears4eva said:

I want her back...,

But i do wonder if she is looking at Mississippi State... lots of posts about them...

well she did put heart eyes for baylor being ranked #3, 6 hours ago.
geewago
Didn't sound that way at the tip off club dinner today. Kim asked the press to let everything that was said there today to stay there. I'm not the press but I'll honer the same code out of respect. But I'll just say again it sure didn't sound that way at all.
HoustonBear15
I saw Morris the other day at the student life center working out with some guy. They were doing speed and agility workouts and some shooting and dribbling drills.
ladybears4eva
Come on tell us... you're not a member of the press.
She tells tipoff fans. So they can tell their friends.

Us!
baylor1984
Is she is or is she isn't ? Coming back that is.
mimi25408
Kim is not going release information until the time has come especially not to 400 people at a tipoff club before addressing the media. She gonna keep things private until she decides the basketball world should know. I have talked to Alexis and she is thriving in school and still working hard. She has a totally different mindset and loves Baylor even though she isnt currently on the team.

As right now we need to halt this conversation. LET'S RESPECT HER PRIVACY! She has got word of her named being mentioned on UCONN'S board and really wants everyone to let her be.

What ever decisions will be made we need to wait until it is released to the press. She is not on the team so we need to focus on the current players on this team. She is just a teenager, respect her privacy.
mlb60
mimi25408 said:

.Kim is not going release information until the time has come especially not to 400 people at a tipoff club before addressing the media. She gonna keep things private until she decides the basketball world should know. I have talked to Alexis and she is thriving in school and still working hard. She has a totally different mindset and loves Baylor even though she isnt currently on the team.

As right now we need to halt this conversation. LET'S RESPECT HER PRIVACY! She has got word of her named being mentioned on UCONN'S board and really wants everyone to let her be.

What ever decisions will be made we need to wait until it is released to the press. She is not on the team so we need to focus on the current players on this team. She is just a teenager, respect her privacy.
A teenager going through a really rough time emotionally and having to adjust to a mindset, lifestyle, and level of discipline in all areas of her life to which she may not have had much exposure before. I would guess that hers is still a rather delicate situation. She will be under a lot of pressure no matter what we do, but we don't have to add to it. Que ser, ser
And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
skilledup
I was just told that Morris is gone again and this time she's not coming back. She was just granted her release papers and that she's trying to get Richards to go with her.
Pale Rider
skilledup said:

I was just told that Morris is gone again and this time she's not coming back. She was just granted her release papers and that she's trying to get Richards to go with her.

Very, very bad news.
Just can't understand it.
bowdedg
skilledup said:

Where is she going?
BaylorBears_254
Any chance we can get a PG like Carter from A&M?

Going to need a PG on her level or somewhere close.

Cant believe she's trying to get Didi to go too? What's the story behind that?
The Old BEAR
Sources in Beaumont (her hometown) have heard nothing about a request for release.
They were very quick to learn of her removal this past Summer.
No news is good news.
mimi25408
Well the show must go on. Would have loved for her to stay at Baylor. But that gives us room for maybe a future pg recruit. Not sure why she is trying to take Didi with her that is beyond me. Another brightside on her decision to not come back would be maybe helping someone off the ledge that was thinking of transferring if she returned to the line up.
zt1014
Carter wouldn't last a minute under Kim or another Top coaches. She runs players off of teams.
BaylorBears_254
zt1014 said:

Carter wouldn't last a minute under Kim or another Top coaches. She runs players off of teams.

I meant a PG like her, as in a PG with her playstyle.

A guard that can bring some deadly offense and make other teams have to guard her so it would open up even more offense for our bigs.
geewago
Well PG by committee again. Juicy, Didi, Honesty, Sarah Andrews, graduate transfer ? Does aaaanybody want this here job or not?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.