So Who Plays Point?

6,185 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pale Rider
BiPolarBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I remember Juicy Landrum having a lot of Moxi when she had the ball. Anyone have any ideas?
ladybears4eva
It will be interesting. Lucky for us, it's preseason.

Time is on our side.

The only setback is experience at the point breaking down defenses etc.

A few years of losing in the tournament to skilled point guards... then a skilled post and 3pt equalized
ladybears4eva
I think we need to invest into HSG.

Jackson
Landrum
Moon

Can all give time for committee pG, but HSG has to lead, learn, and assert herself
ladybears4eva
HSG has experience showing up to a new team and asserting herself as the point guard leader.

She switched high schools and summer teams
HoustonBear15
Obviously won't be the point guard but I think Bickle has the vision and court awareness to also make plays happen.
ladybears4eva
Bickle is not a point forward... shes just aggressive at her sf position
Bone Squad
A last-minute transfer from another country who plays her heart out. Her name is Misty Hollis. What's that accent? Certainly not Australian. No, it's South African, yeah, that's the ticket. Plus her hair is brown.
GarlandBear84
I have no idea what you're talking about and googling that name produced nothing. Please expound.
Bone Squad
GarlandBear, say her name out loud a few times: Misty Hollis.

Wink, wink, nod, nod.
Pale Rider
Bone Squad said:

Wink, wink, nod, nod.
I still don't get it, but I was never very good at puzzles.
GoldenBear
BiPolarBear said:

I remember Juicy Landrum having a lot of Moxi when she had the ball. Anyone have any ideas?
Sorry, but Juicy is far from a PG fit, as self-discipline is needed and she is a free-spirit.
jumpinjoe
Pale Rider said:

Bone Squad said:

Wink, wink, nod, nod.

The Bible is full of mysteries, how do you work thru them as a preacher?

OK, I'll help... Misty Hollis / Christy Wallace
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Bone Squad
Yes. I was suggesting that Kristy come back and play for us under a thinly veiled subterfuge.
The Stache
Bone Squad said:

A last-minute transfer from another country who plays her heart out. Her name is Misty Hollis. What's that accent? Certainly not Australian. No, it's South African, yeah, that's the ticket. Plus her hair is brown.

Ah, I see what you did there, Bone Squad. Actually, after you and jumpinjoe explained it, I saw what you did there.
Pale Rider
jumpinjoe said:

Pale Rider said:

Bone Squad said:

Wink, wink, nod, nod.

The Bible is full of mysteries, how do you work thru them as a preacher?

OK, I'll help... Misty Hollis / Christy Wallace

Always been an existentialist.
slimecap
Oct 16, 2018

Kalani Brown stated

"Chloe's new to this program, so she's got to start from scratch. Then you have Juicy, who's touched on it a little bit, but she's not really a point guard. She's more of a shooting guard. And you've got Honesty, the freshman, and Didi. She's just throwing different combinations out there, and we're going to see who's most comfortable at it. But, I think Chloe's going to be right for the job once she gets the plays down."

- Baylor WBB website
Hairy Bear
I suspect that Mulkey will give Jackson a look. If she is able to take the point then she does. Second look would go to Landrum. Hopefully one of these will take. Scott-Grayson is a combo guard but a freshman, Ursin is also a possibility.
Polarbear
I believe we'll see Chloe get the bulk of minutes at PG, with Honesty getting the majority of backup minutes, and others filling in gaps.
Mulkey values upperclassman experience. Playing Chloe at PG allows us to have both Chloe (Sr) and Juicy (Jr) on the floor at the same time. Honesty might be the most comfortable at PG, but if she is playing PG, either Chloe or Juicy will have to sit. I think Chloe and Juicy will lead the team in backcourt minutes, so they'll be on the floor together a lot.
This team also needs 3 point shooting to stretch the floor and unclog the paint for Kalani and Lauren. Juicy is the best outside shooter on the team. Keeping Juicy at SG will give her the most outside looks, and cause the defense to constantly respect her presence. By default, that means Chloe will shift to PG.
I also think we'll see more unconventional things this year. Wouldn't shock me if Chloe and Juicy alternate bringing the ball up, essentially operating as two hybrid guards on the floor at the same time. Wouldn't shock me if we see a lot of teams press, since we don't have a classic ball handling PG, which means we'll probably see Lauren and the SF's (DiDi, Acquira, Trinity) get involved in breaking the press. Wouldn't shock me in the halfcourt if Lauren and Kalani play high/low, but Lauren extends further to the 3 point line this year to stretch the floor and aid our PG's to get into the offense.
Big Bear
Polarbear, you have hit a home run. I totally agree with each of your observations. I will add that Juicy makes to many bad decisions at the point. Turnovers increase especially entry passes to the bigs. She is very different at the off-guard where she is more comfortable and productive. Need her 3s. The other wing position will be very interesting as who get the most PT by conference. First off the pine for a big will be Smith. She is very smooth, confident and strong especially rebounding. Egbo will also get her time. Giving Lauren and Kalani some rest will be crucial. Smith and Egbo will give that time. The 3 position will have a lot of competition.
slimecap
Oct 16, 2018

Kim Mulkey stated

"I've never gone into a season without a true point guard, but this will be a challenge for us. They're learning, they have to get comfortable, and I think they're adequate at it, but they know they're not true point guards. The thing about them is one quarter they may be playing point, then the next quarter I may have then at the off guard. They understand they're going to have to play multiple positions.

I think they have a greater appreciation now of just how important that position is. That's your quarterback. That quarterback is responsible for everything, good or bad, that takes place on that floor. And they're going to have to embrace that. They have no choice but to embrace it. And if we have to do it by committee, we will."

- Baylor WBB website
willtalk
This is sort of similar to the problem Oregon St. was faced with last season. They didn't really have a point to start the season. Though most of the season they were really hurt by innumerable turnovers, however once the play offs started the person who had played the point was doing a pretty good job. Given the length of the season Baylor should be ok once the NCAA's kick in.
57Bear
It may have been a blessing to see the Lady Bears in action in Europe. KM got to see some of the other Ladies in action against competition.
ladybears4eva
Every year we go into the season hoping that the team will be enough by the ncaa tournament...

But should it be different?

Should it be more than just waiting for the final product?

I think we have to enjoy seeing these athletes grow and mature through difficult times and struggles.

It pays off more when we cherish the growth from game 1.

I hope i can enjoy the beginning of the year as much as i do by March...
ladybears4eva
So excited to see the new team!
Pale Rider
Great point 4eva.
Baylor Dad in Va.
ladybears4eva said:

Every year we go into the season hoping that the team will be enough by the ncaa tournament...

But should it be different?

Should it be more than just waiting for the final product?

I think we have to enjoy seeing these athletes grow and mature through difficult times and struggles.

It pays off more when we cherish the growth from game 1.

I hope i can enjoy the beginning of the year as much as i do by March...
I try to watch every game that is on TV here. It doesn't matter whether it is early season or late. Unfortunately, I only get to see the games that are carried by the major networks (ESPN, Fox - but not Fox Sports SW, etc. Fortunately, since our Lady Bears have become a perennial power more and more games are on TV here now. That's great for recruiting too.
ladybears4eva
It is true that most of the games are on fox sports regional channels...

Only a few get knocked out of line... or blocked from streaming
ladybears4eva
Chloe seems to carry the point more this year.

With juicy ... hsg some
Baylor Dad in Va.
ladybears4eva said:

It is true that most of the games are on fox sports regional channels...

Only a few get knocked out of line... or blocked from streaming
Yes that is certainly true 4eva. If they were on TV I did not miss many games last year except for a couple in the early season. I forgot that last year Mid-Atlantic Sports Network here picked up the Fox Sports Southwest broadcast for conference games. And, it was also possible to find a stream to watch if things got desperate
slimecap
ladybears4eva said:

So excited to see the new team!
2 more days to go

Pale Rider
Is that Cloe?
Beautiful girl.
57Bear
That's DiDi. Chloe is # 24.

https://baylorbears.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball
Pale Rider
57Bear said:

That's DiDi. Chloe is # 24.

https://baylorbears.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

Oops. Thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.