Very Un-Mulkey like.

5,995 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by baylorfan94
The Old BEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The trademark of Kim has always been... No Hustle = No Play.
Yet Brown continues to give uninspired efforts and see's the floor.
Either she is hurt, trying to round into shape, or lacking effort.
Time for Mulkey to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with her All American.
GoldenBear
Doug said:

KM does that on a daily basis. But every day seems to be a new day for KB.
74Bear
I suspect KB has one eye on WNBA draft and only half on season. May be time for sonething drastic before conference starts.
geewago
Maybe she's waiting to get to South Carolina to start her fire.
fredbear
WNBA draft will be determined on this season. She has every reason to work hard.
baylorfan94
Y'all are so ignorant. Maybe she has had a off game or 2 but don't discredit her. Don't act like this team doesn't need Kalani. I'm pretty sure Kim knows what she's doing with her All American which is why she see's the floor.
Baylor Dad in Va.
Doug said:

Wow - I know the game was on late last night, 10:30 here in the east, and some effort had to be made to watch the game since it was available, but not on regular TV, but did you actually watch the game???

At what point in the game do you think Kalani did not hustle?
And how did Kim fail to treat her the same as the others on the team when Kalani got frustrated by the double and triple teams and got two fouls in quick succession? Kim pulled her and sent in Smith - the same as she treats other players in the early season this year. Kalani only played 27 minutes in the game and Smith played 22.
What in the world do you want Kim to do -- sit Kalani for the entire game? I don't know where you are coming from with your comments but they are way, way off base and ill advised.

I watched the game, and the fact is that Kalani hustled her tail off last night. At no time did she fail to hustle or "take plays off".
Yes, Kalani had a learning experience last night. Uncharacteristically she shot under 50% from the field with 4 - 10. That is about the first time out of the last 40 games that she has done that if you want to look it up. You can't cut her some slack for one game? She was double and triple teamed in the paint as South Dakota collapsed on her every time she got the ball -- determined not to let Brown beat them. What player on our team shot the most free throws last night? Kalani Brown of course -- and as a result two of South Dakota 's finest players fouled out of the game. And Kalani shot the best at the free throw line of anyone on the team last night. And Kalani was still the 2nd highest scorer on the team in spite of the fact that she only played about two-thirds of the game. And tied for the best rebounder.

If you want to dispute what I saw and what I wrote, then please elaborate but I am going to defend Kalani..
ChapBear
I agree with what you said to a point. KB lost her guarding responsibility at least three times and left her wide open. Those were 3of the made threes. KM had to take her out. The most frustrating thing to me is failure to finish from point blank range after being fouled, a lot like Vital on the men's side. Stiill I am so glad she is on my team.
Scottdye
I still want to know why Aquira Decosta is still not playing?
Casual Observer
At the last home game she was wearing a boot on one leg.
SerbinGold
Couldn't agree more, Doug. Kalani consistency lacks hustle. Who am I to question KM, but I'd play her less so she's fresh down the stretch.
longtimebear
We all expect dominance from Brown but that is not fair to her. Sometimes the other teams have talented players also, who may not be her size but frustrate her in games. It happens! She will be there when it's time.
Baylor Dad in Va.
Scottdye said:

I still want to know why Aquira Decosta is still not playing?
She has a Twitter tweet that shows a picture of her with the team on Thanksgiving. But one of the tweets implies that she has not yet been medically cleared to play.
If someone else has more information I would like to hear it too. Can't wait to see her play.
slimecap
Kim Mulkey stated

"Aquira's in a walking boot for a few weeks. She did something to her toe on a step-back move in the Langston exhibition game (on October 26)."

- Krista Pirtle, Waco Tribune-Herald, 01 Nov 2018
setshot
I agree with the proposition that Kalani has not hit her stride yet, for whatever reasons. Mulkey reduced her minutes in the preseason games, and a slight injury kept her out of one game, so she has not been as actively engaged in this season thus far as she was last season. Of course, other teams scheme to stop her, and so she always faces double teams and is usually fronted as well as backed by defenders. We still get turnovers trying to force the ball into her occasionally, but generally now they are taking the shots that defenders offer them because of the attention that Kalani commands throughout the game. That is a good thing and should be encouraged.

Another factor is that Kalani plays with such ease and with a calm, composed demeanor that it sometimes gives the appearance of a lack of effort. I think that she is still trying to get a rhythm out there...and the effort by Mulkey to get minutes for her talented young frosh players means that Kalani and Lauren will play less minutes until they get to the upper level teams later on their schedule.

I have no doubt that the lack of players like Kristy Wallace and Morris as facilitators has also played into the current dilemma. Those two could score, but more importantly, they could get the ball into the post in a timely manner, whereas of late the ball is not arriving at a time when Kalani can do much with it. She should be catching the ball, passing it back out, and resetting to a better position to put it up. Many times she is too deep to get the proper angle to put the ball in off the board, and the players passing the ball into her should not do so when she is not in the appropriate position. Morris and Wallace were much better at that.
Scout Bear
setshot said:

I agree with the proposition that Kalani has not hit her stride yet, for whatever reasons. Mulkey reduced her minutes in the preseason games, and a slight injury kept her out of one game, so she has not been as actively engaged in this season thus far as she was last season. Of course, other teams scheme to stop her, and so she always faces double teams and is usually fronted as well as backed by defenders. We still get turnovers trying to force the ball into her occasionally, but generally now they are taking the shots that defenders offer them because of the attention that Kalani commands throughout the game. That is a good thing and should be encouraged.

Another factor is that Kalani plays with such ease and with a calm, composed demeanor that it sometimes gives the appearance of a lack of effort. I think that she is still trying to get a rhythm out there...and the effort by Mulkey to get minutes for her talented young frosh players means that Kalani and Lauren will play less minutes until they get to the upper level teams later on their schedule.

I have no doubt that the lack of players like Kristy Wallace and Morris as facilitators has also played into the current dilemma. Those two could score, but more importantly, they could get the ball into the post in a timely manner, whereas of late the ball is not arriving at a time when Kalani can do much with it. She should be catching the ball, passing it back out, and resetting to a better position to put it up. Many times she is too deep to get the proper angle to put the ball in off the board, and the players passing the ball into her should not do so when she is not in the appropriate position. Morris and Wallace were much better at that.
Good to read a rational view.
mimi25408
Aquira will be cleared this Monday.
Baylor Dad in Va.
Excellent post Setshot. Thank you.
Scottdye
Does anyone know what happened to Lashaun Higgs with Texas? I just saw a pic and she is on crutches.

Getting Decosta back will be big for us.
geewago
Scottdye said:

Does anyone know what happened to Lashaun Higgs with Texas? I just saw a pic and she is on crutches.

Getting Decosta back will be big for us.
Higgs hurt her knee in the Quinippiac game. The way she was screaming when they carried her off the court means a torn ACL more than likely. However it has not been officially announce yet as far as I know. I wish God would build better knees on women
Johnny Bear
ChapBear said:

I agree with what you said to a point. KB lost her guarding responsibility at least three times and left her wide open. Those were 3of the made threes. KM had to take her out. The most frustrating thing to me is failure to finish from point blank range after being fouled, a lot like Vital on the men's side. Stiill I am so glad she is on my team.
There is no comparison between KB and Vital (who has the "touch" of a jack hammer around the rim and constantly throws up bricks from the free throw line) on the men's side.
possible12
setshot said:

big players are constantly being prodded for "more", even if not warranted. The old phrase, "if I'd only had her/his size", comes to mind. I see what you see.

She's probably used to it, as well as she'll learn more about playing hard from good coaching, which she gets.
Lone Star
Hey, don't quote me on this because I have been told that I "need to learn the game" but, KB is not my biggest concern this early in the season, TURNOVERS are.

KB will be fine. We need to take care of the ball better. That is where we are hurting in the PG area. The reason the SDSU game was close was because POTs (Points Off Turnovers) was 23-5 !! (TO's were 17-8).

GoldenBear
baylorfan94 said:

Y'all are so ignorant. Maybe she has had a off game or 2 but don't discredit her. Don't act like this team doesn't need Kalani. I'm pretty sure Kim knows what she's doing with her All American which is why she see's the floor.
I wonder why KM mentions that she frequently has to admonish KB (even publicly) to get her attention to give effort and using her (KB's) '"smarts." KB has to get it together and KEEP it together rather than coasting on her past accomplishments. Otherwise, this team cannot overcome KB giving and achieving less than full effort IN EACH GAME.

Can we wonder who the 'so ignorant' observer might be?
baylorfan94
Like I said CKM knows what she's doing with her ALL AMERICAN which is why she will continue to see the floor and to follow that just like someone else just said she is the last thing to be concerned about. Now run along!
Scottdye
Has there been any CKM press conferences? I miss seeing those.

I just wonder how she is feeling about the Vegas tournament, and what she thinks about the upcoming South Carolina game.

GoldenBear
baylorfan94 said:

Like I said CKM knows what she's doing with her ALL AMERICAN which is why she will continue to see the floor and to follow that just like someone else just said she is the last thing to be concerned about. Now run along!
My, my; what a perceptive observation. A mystery as to such insight.

Seriously, KB is a sweet and likeable young lady whose competitive fire do not always glow red hot. Too bad she is not combative like Lauren Cox, KB would have been all-world for at least 3 years running.

Hopefully she will get it together starting with the SC game amd continue all the way to our winning the 2019 NCAA championship..
baylorfan94
K
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.