Stanford is getting back into the picture

1,329 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lone Star
setshot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Cardinal just signed Hailey Jones, the #1 high school player in the country from Archbishop Mitty in San Jose. She is a do everything player and has been the top player in California last year and will be this year.
They also signed the top three point shooter in the state, Hannah Jump , whose team, though much smaller in enrollment, upset the team that Jones played for last year on the way to a state championship. She is really deadly from beyond the arc, and is a very good player otherwise. They have the commitment from Cameron Brink, the 6'4" player from Oregon (2020) who is at the top of her class, as well.

The team that Baylor will face in Palo Alto is pretty impressive. They hit 15 threes in a recent win, and have played very well. They defend their home court well, so the Lady Bears will have their work cut out for them.

Tara VanDerveer does a fine job of balancing her team, usually has very good guards and mobile, good shooting forwards. Injuries have limited them somewhat in recent years, but they seem to have more depth this year and, like Baylor, they are playing a lot of their roster in the early season. I am looking forward to seeing how the Baylor women handle a road trip against a solid team. I imagine that Stanford will sag into the middle and dare Baylor to beat them from the outside, something that they have done before. At their offensive end of the floor they will try to pull our big interior players away from the basket, employ a lot of ball movement, and line up their three point shooters. They usually run a lot of screens and back door plays and control the pace of the game. I have not seen them this season, but I will see them before out game and if I have time I will report back.
geewago
It's looking like Stanford is going to be a much tougher draw than South Carolina. SC has lost 3 and they haven't been all that impressive in the games they've won. I plan to be in Austin Sunday and watch the Longhorns take on MSST. Then I'm heading to a friends house to watch ND - UConn and later BU - SC. I figure that's about all the good WBB a man can stand for one day.
Bone Squad
setshot said:

They also signed the top three point shooter in the state, Hannah Jump
Is it true that whether she shoots a layup, finger roll, hook, fade-away, three-pointer, or free throw, it is always recorded in the stats as a Jump shot?
CavalryRoadie
Bone Squad said:

setshot said:

They also signed the top three point shooter in the state, Hannah Jump
Is it true that whether she shoots a layup, finger roll, hook, fade-away, three-pointer, or free throw, it is always recorded in the stats as a Jump shot?
Oy vey...
BaylorGrad&Dad
Good comments above; exactly why we're looking forward to our trip to Palo Alto in 2 weeks!

Sic 'em.
zt1014
Truly the toughest test we will face other than UConn. Stanford is good and they are playing like a well run machine.

Win or Lose it will be a good game for the girls to play in.
Lone Star
Never thought Stanford was "out" of it. Maybe just some "down" years in recruiting but, never out of it.

I am surprised that Brink didn't go to Oregon. She plays for the same club team as Haley Jones and Sabrina Ionesceu (and DeCosta) and is from Oregon

However, you can't blame these highly-academic girls from going to a school that will carry a lot of weight once they graduate. Smart choice for them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.