Moon

35,206 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
fredbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
if given enough playing time and the green light to play aggressively and instinctively, I believe Moon could be the most athletic player in Wbb, I want to see more!
Chibears2
She looked good last night. Relaxed and playing in flow of game. Coach noticed and mentioned it.
greggor25
Moon was awesome last night and needs more playing time.

I'd like to see her try her hand at the 1 and move Jackson to 2 switching out with Juicy.
zt1014
I don't think she is a PG material. She gets a little rattled when a lot of pressure is put on her. Yes she is progressing and showing good things. But not ready to start or be a pg.

She will be a Dehkia Cohen, but will be a bigger contributor sooner than Dehkia was.
bowdedg
Best part of Moon is her kind heart and drive. Definitely a diamond in the rough. Moon has a great upside, which I expect we will see come next year. She's progressing greatly and feeling more confident with each game.

I'm glad she's on our team!
gone to Tickfaw
did you notice the time she dribbled out of traffic and took the ball all the way up the court without passing, breaking the zone single handedly.

I think she has the ability to do that with no issues
GarlandBear84
Last night I noticed that she doesn't get her shot off quickly, but when she is left wide open she can hit the three.
LOTRADER
Oregon State Fan here:

I thought that Chloe Jackson played the point very well last night for Baylor. In fact, I was impressed with all the Baylor guards/wings last night. I am really looking forward to the Baylor vs UCONN game. Baylor's biggest challenge is going to be defending vs UCONN, especially defending UCONN's transition game. I think Baylor is a better team than Stanford, and, will win that contest.

Chibears2
Welcome aboard! Going to be heading up to Maples to see the Stanford game. Hope your prediction holds true. Antonelli said last night during our game that Stanford played a 5 out similar to South Dakota State, who gave us a bit of a challenge in Vegas. Hopefully, we have matured a bit since then!
zt1014
I think South Dakota was a good test to prepare for Stanford. It showed them what to expect and helped them learn how to be successful against it. Just like with SC they knew they would see a zone and man. So they were prepare for both.

I think originally Kim was just trying to get everyone up to speed in terms of all aspects of the game. I think now they are about there and can start focusing on what to do each game with each different offense they may see.
ChapBear
I hate to say I told you so but I have been shouting out since Moon first showed up that she was something special and would be starting or at least sharing a starting spot this year. She is super quick and fast, great on defense and her offense just keeps getting better and better. She can jump out of the gym for a 5'7" guard. She will get to the point where she can create her own midrange shot at will. We are so lucky that she didn't get discouraged last year by the lack of playing time and stuck with it. Can't wait to see her play more and more this season.
setshot
Good call, ChapBear. I remember that you were a cheerleader for Moon, and did so with a solid argument for what she would contribute as a Lady Bear.

After watching a bit of her high school film, I was happy to get her commitment. She did everything for that little program on the way to leading them to a state championship. I did think that she was a bit raw in terms of Division I basketball, but that is true of almost all freshmen. What she clearly did possess was an extremely high level of athleticism and what appeared to be a competitive temperament. Her skill set was good, but in need of refinement, and in her first year that seemed to me to be the reason why her minutes were limited.

From the first, despite her high potential as an offensive player, I thought that her greatest value might well be at the defensive end of the floor. She has speed, quickness, strength, and a willingness to get physical if necessary. The latter strength was evident last year when she often got two or three quick fouls and had to be taken off the floor a few times. This year she seems to have learned how to play under control at both ends of the floor and her fouls have been reduced.

My impression has been that with her quickness and strength, she would be a terror in terms of getting to the rim, and her leaping ability would enable her to finish there effectively. She does have an outstanding midrange game, though not in the class of Chloe Jackson, who is one of the purest three point shooters I have seen. Moon is likely watching and learning from Chloe. Her form on her three point shooting was very good as a freshman, and in my view all she needed was the opportunity to shoot it enough to gain confidence in it. As her time on the floor has expanded, so has the confidence that Moon has exhibited in her game, and as ChapBear had predicted, the result has been a player that becomes a real force for the Lady Bears.

I don't think that Mulkey has a problem with her perimeter players shooting the three, but the dominance that Baylor enjoys in the paint makes it a less attractive point of initiation - they do best when the ball is rotated, or when the penetration effects a pass out to the wings. I have attended a practice or two over the years when Mulkey has made it a point to challenge her perimeter players when they have passed up opportunities to shoot the three, Landrum being among them. I recall that she pushed a reluctant Emily Niemann to shoot more shots from the outside, and we know the result of that. A number of us have questioned the failure of our perimeter players to become more proficient with three point shots, and part of that does fall on a coaching and schematic preference, but I believe that we will see more long range shots this year, and Moon will be a large part of that, as will Landrum.

Again, appreciation for ChapBear seeing what some of us may have doubted and being consistent in raising the issue of minutes for one of our most exciting players. By her senior year, Ursin will be one of the finest two-way players in the country, and maybe sooner than that. Her steady improvement and growth has been one of the most satisfying development of the season to this point. I really look forward to seeing her go up against UCONN's guards.
KOKQB70
As usual, Setshot knocks it out of the park. I need to watch Moon more closely now after these posts, and hoping we can knock off UCONN in Waco in Jan., wouldn't that be sweet? Would voters keep us @ 3 or 4, ha!!!
KajunKarlsdad
I watched Moon play in high school all 4 years ( her school is my school's biggest rival). I was more impressed with her as a person after meeting her; the principal there and I used to coach baseball together. She will do whatever Kim asks of her and whatever the team needs. She has potential to be one of the best role player types Baylor has had. Nothing she does surprises me. Last year was a learning experience for her and so far she seems more relaxed and confident.
gone to Tickfaw
I wonder if Moon is the only player we have who can keep up with uconn' williams. And setshot, is Chloe a 3 point shooter?
Dcheetah
Pretty sure Chloe is not a big 3 pt shooter. Much better at the midrange game. Can make them though. Don't think she takes that many.

Could Didi also guard C. Williams or will she be needed elsewhere?
ScottS
I've heard Moon can touch the rim.
setshot
I intended to write that Chloe is a superb midrange shooter with a range that does not really predict a three point average that merits shooting much from the arc. I fully subscribe to the idea that Moon is a much more accomplished three point shooter than Chloe is as of right now, but she could learn a lot from watching how Chloe sets herself up inside the arc and finishes off the shot.
slimecap

Moon during Dec 1 practice in South Carolina
lookin4awin
ScottS said:

I've heard Moon can dunk a volleyball..........The folklore of Moon!
Bone Squad
I've heard Moon orbits around the earth every month!
bowdedg
I've heard about Moon's favorite restaurant - great restaurant but no atmosphere!
ScottS
lookin4awin said:

ScottS said:

I've heard Moon can dunk a volleyball..........The folklore of Moon!
It would be awesome to see her dunk in a game.
EvilTroyAndAbed
ChapBear said:

I hate to say I told you so but I have been shouting out since Moon first showed up that she was something special and would be starting or at least sharing a starting spot this year. She is super quick and fast, great on defense and her offense just keeps getting better and better. She can jump out of the gym for a 5'7" guard. She will get to the point where she can create her own midrange shot at will. We are so lucky that she didn't get discouraged last year by the lack of playing time and stuck with it. Can't wait to see her play more and more this season.
I don't think you hate it that much.
WasheFuzzy
My love of Moon's game is well documented. Now that she is getting consistent PT the moon's the limit! I look forward to seeing her guard UCONN's Williams. I thin she is the only player we have who can guard her.
gone to Tickfaw
Rewatched the South Carolina game.

We missed many bunnies in the paint that we can't miss to be UCONN.

We would have scored more than 110. Wish I would have counted.

But looking at UCONN and can Moon guard their guards, she held her own agains SC's guards, all rated 5* and much higher than Moon's 4* 57. Remember, she didn't play AAU... and everyone said that hurt.

But here are the guards she faced at SC.

Tyasha harris # 28 2016 5*
destanni henderson #6 in 2018... No. 1 rated point guard 5*
tea cooper #12 in 2015 5*
bianca cuevas-moore #35 in 2014 5*

Moon #57 in 2017 4*
slimecap
fredbear said:

if given enough playing time and the green light to play aggressively and instinctively, I believe Moon could be the most athletic player in Wbb, I want to see more!

MOON URSIN #12

slimecap

@ Texas Feb 4, 2019
Chibears2
I loved it when she did this. Wasn't directed at the other team, wasn't "Look at me," gesture.... just pure joy in the game and of the moment. I was sharing it with her. Way to go, Moon!
WasheFuzzy
setshot said:

Good call, ChapBear. I remember that you were a cheerleader for Moon, and did so with a solid argument for what she would contribute as a Lady Bear.

After watching a bit of her high school film, I was happy to get her commitment. She did everything for that little program on the way to leading them to a state championship. I did think that she was a bit raw in terms of Division I basketball, but that is true of almost all freshmen. What she clearly did possess was an extremely high level of athleticism and what appeared to be a competitive temperament. Her skill set was good, but in need of refinement, and in her first year that seemed to me to be the reason why her minutes were limited.

From the first, despite her high potential as an offensive player, I thought that her greatest value might well be at the defensive end of the floor. She has speed, quickness, strength, and a willingness to get physical if necessary. The latter strength was evident last year when she often got two or three quick fouls and had to be taken off the floor a few times. This year she seems to have learned how to play under control at both ends of the floor and her fouls have been reduced.

My impression has been that with her quickness and strength, she would be a terror in terms of getting to the rim, and her leaping ability would enable her to finish there effectively. She does have an outstanding midrange game, though not in the class of Chloe Jackson, who is one of the purest three point shooters I have seen. Moon is likely watching and learning from Chloe. Her form on her three point shooting was very good as a freshman, and in my view all she needed was the opportunity to shoot it enough to gain confidence in it. As her time on the floor has expanded, so has the confidence that Moon has exhibited in her game, and as ChapBear had predicted, the result has been a player that becomes a real force for the Lady Bears.

I don't think that Mulkey has a problem with her perimeter players shooting the three, but the dominance that Baylor enjoys in the paint makes it a less attractive point of initiation - they do best when the ball is rotated, or when the penetration effects a pass out to the wings. I have attended a practice or two over the years when Mulkey has made it a point to challenge her perimeter players when they have passed up opportunities to shoot the three, Landrum being among them. I recall that she pushed a reluctant Emily Niemann to shoot more shots from the outside, and we know the result of that. A number of us have questioned the failure of our perimeter players to become more proficient with three point shots, and part of that does fall on a coaching and schematic preference, but I believe that we will see more long range shots this year, and Moon will be a large part of that, as will Landrum.

Again, appreciation for ChapBear seeing what some of us may have doubted and being consistent in raising the issue of minutes for one of our most exciting players. By her senior year, Ursin will be one of the finest two-way players in the country, and maybe sooner than that. Her steady improvement and growth has been one of the most satisfying development of the season to this point. I really look forward to seeing her go up against UCONN's guards.
Chloe is a pure three point shooter? She is a pure mid-range shooter.
geewago
Moon used to be just another sub. Now she is fast becoming a game changer.
bunation
geewago said:

Moon used to be just another sub. Now she is fast becoming a game changer.

So very glad to see her getting some important minutes-and to see her growth as a college player.

It looks like we may need her March 8 to April 7!
ladybears4eva
Moonerrific
slimecap

The Pursuit Lady and the Cats S2E1
Duration 29m
After three near misses at a State Championship, the 2016-17 proved to be historic for the Destrehan girls basketball team. With head coach Angi Butler announcing that the season would be her last as head coach and Baylor bound Cara Ursin looking for a third straight Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year award, a state championship is all that's left. This is their story.

Link (7 day free trial)
https://varsitysportsnow.com/zype-video/the-pursuit-lady-and-the-cats-s2e1/
slimecap

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.