Big12/SEC challenge

1,508 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by setshot
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
5-5 split this year

BU over SCarolina by 25
TCU over Ole Miss by 5
KSt over Vandy by 11
Kansas over LSU by 7
IowaSt over Ark by 9

MissSt over UT by 18
Florida over Tech by 5
Auburn over OU by 16
Tenn over OkSt by 13
Mizzou over WV by 17
geewago
I went to the TX-MSST game. Was amazed at the small crowd particularly in view of the the match up. It was obvious from the beginning that MSST was going to win that game. I'm not really sure how good they are because other than Sutton nobody really gave them much of a problem. They've been decimated by graduation, transfer and injury. I really wonder if they will finish 2nd in the conference. They probably will but there is at least 3 other teams in this league that could beat them.

After that game I met up with a couple of friends and we watched the UConn-ND game. That was WBB at it's best. UConn has the best starting 5 in the nation. We were at a sports bar so we just kept hanging and watched the BU-SC game as well. Of course I enjoyed it better because it was my team on top. Was really proud of Kalani, Juicy and Chloe yesterday. They turned it up a notch and did what pros are supposed to do. We hung there so long that they had no food or drink left when we left.
BaylorTaxman
OU is just bad this year. WVU is inconsistent. With UT losing that player, I wonder if an Iowa State is going to sneak into second place. Also, Kansas looks to be much improved.
bearbone11
Given what I've seen in my (limited) observations, we really should sweep the conference again this year. Texas doesn't have the horses to hang with us, and the coach wouldn't know what to do if she had them. Oklahoma is terrible and Oklahoma State has probably taken a small step back. West Virginia appears to be really inconsistent, though they could improve as Martin gets back into the swing of things. Iowa State has started alright but I don't think they have the talent to compete with us even if our ladies have a bad day.

I'm glad we scheduled a bit tougher this year given that the conference shouldn't provide much challenge. I wish South Carolina had a better team, this is the 2nd year in a row our SEC opponent has been in a down year. Does anyone know how the challenge games are scheduled? It would have been nice to play Mississippi State.

If we split between UConn and Stanford and win all conference games then we should have no trouble securing a one seed. Even if we lose both of those we shouldn't fall further than number 5 overall. There just aren't many other teams on the schedule that will trouble us. Should be plenty of time to lock down the PG position and figure out the rotation for the freshmen. There are still many ways the team can improve.
Scout Bear
Hmmmm... How did the WVU guard look? Anyone see that game?
setshot
Stanford is young, much like we are, though with Cox, Jackson and Brown (perhaps inclusive of Juicy) we are experienced in our starting lineup. Stanford defends their home floor pretty well, and when they are hitting their three point shots they can be a tough out. We should beat them, however.

UCONN is a different matter. I looked out there yesterday and saw three national high school Players of the Year on the floor (Williams, Samuelson, and arguably Walker.) Add in Naphrese Collier, who was right near the top three years ago and that is a load of talent to overcome. It tells you something about their program that Walker had a hard time getting on the floor last year.

Our payload of Brown and Cox clearly makes us a formidable team, and we have a very talented group of frosh players, though Egbo is still very raw, Bickle is still in recovery mode from her injury, and we have yet to see what DeCosta can do (though she has physical ability off the charts, and is a very fine passer). NaLyssa is the crown jewel of that group, and Grayson impresses me in the time she is on the floor as having a feathery shooting touch and capable of making good decisions with the ball in her hands. The fact that we are good enough to get leads that allow these frosh players to see minutes on the floor is a real advantage, as it keeps our starter fresh and gives the younger players valuable playing time.

I think that Moon Ursin has the capability to reduce the effectiveness of Williams, but Christyn is relentless and very clever, and she has surprising strength when penetrating. I saw her in All Star games and she dominated in one and struggled a bit in the other, but she is the kind of player you can't take your eyes off of.
UCONN often trades quantity for quality when they recruit. I suspect that Geno deeply regrets that he could no persuade Lauren Cox to join them, and this year, Haley Jones. He thrives on getting the top player, year to year, and his success at that mirrors his success at winning the National Championship.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.