Gimme some Free Throws!!

2,296 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BluesBear
geewago
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My Iowa State cyclones just lost by 3 to Iowa who managed to make the last shot. Iowa made 15 of 15 free throws. The Clones made 9 of 17. Other than that they pretty much outplayed them all the way around. I sure hope we start putting more emphasis on Free throws. I saw the stats about a week ago and Bu was 9th in the conference. Don't know where we stand as of today.
mimi25408
We shot pretty good from the free throw line at SC. But queen really needs to work on her free throws. She has the lowest percentage and is currently 8-25
Malbec
What I got from the OP: There are 10 teams in the conference, and one of them shoots free throws worse than the Lady Bears. Hard to imagine that.
geewago
Malbec said:

What I got from the OP: There are 10 teams in the conference, and one of them shoots free throws worse than the Lady Bears. Hard to imagine that.
That is correct. You understood it right. On November the 20th I read the stats of the Big 12 teams. Baylor was shooting 55.8% at that time. The only team worse was OU at 50 % TX was 8th at 57.9. The best team was WV at 73%. Three games have been played since then. Bu shot a little better in two of them. So they may have moved up a little by now.
Lion82
It is obvious Kim can't coach free throws!

I wish she would start recruiting a bunch of 5"10 shooters and get away from all these athletic kids with size who can't shoot free throws. Play a perimeter game. That would probably get us back into the final 4.
WNIT in '23
gone to Tickfaw
doesn't seem to have kept us from winning 8 Big 12 titles
Chibears2
Free throws will get better. All about repetition, relaxation and rhythm, all of which are helped by just more practice and more time in game situations. (Okay, and focus, as well, but that would have messed up my alliteration...!)
geewago
Chibears2 said:

Free throws will get better. All about repetition, relaxation and rhythm, all of which are helped by just more practice and more time in game situations. (Okay, and focus, as well, but that would have messed up my alliteration...!)
Very true. They always get better as the season progresses.
57Bear
geewago said:

Chibears2 said:

Very true. They always get better as the season progresses.
And they always get more important as the season progresses.
Chibears2
Thus, the non-alliterative "focus" tacked on.
Baylor Dad in Va.
Actually, we are not that bad of a free throw shooting team. Just some of our team is off to a slow start.
If you look at the starting 5 of Brown, Cox, Jackson, Landrum, and Richards, you will see that for the season, the trio of Brown, Jackson, and Landrum is shooting 41 / 52 for a .79 % average -- not bad in my opinion. Juicy is shooting 100 % but has only been to the line 7 times. Jackson is shooting 78% and Brown 74%.

Didi is shooting 33% on 9 FT and Lauren is shooting 52% on 21 FT. Lauren shot much better than this last year, so she is just off to a slow start.

The 5 freshmen are pulling down the average. with 66%, 60%, 52%, 32%, and ? for Aquira
I expect all of this hese to improve as the season progresses.
BluesBear
Man, that's a low percentage for Top Tier program. Giving easy points away

When I played and coached we had a rule that every miss free-throw in a game was a 50 second drill at the next practice for that person. Our Center was 1-15 going into the 4th quarter and started asking the officials to stop calling fouls. Guys on the bench were laughing so hard that coach caught on, called a timeout and chewed out every and said we'd all run at practice. Poor Mike, our center never received another pass in the game. How a guy can shoot 8-14 from the field but 1-18 from the line is perplexing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.