Strong at every position!

11,201 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Eball
Eball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LadyBears42 said:

My response to your initial post was solely directed towards your attempt to discredit their resumes coming out of high school, which I found extremely distasteful. No matter what anyone on this board assumes (especially those who've never picked up a basketball a day in their life; if the shoe fits wear it), I doubt very seriously if what they've accomplished in their careers was just handed to them. These kids are some of the best in their class and they've earned that title, and no matter how long a person has been a fan and or follower of any program, we shouldn't be on here discrediting their resumes. DeCosta, Scott-Grayson and Smith (newly) have all played for USA Basketball and that definitely wasn't handed to them. They competed against the best of the best and earned a spot on those teams and represented their country, let alone Baylor. Have you ever been to a USA tryout? I doubt it, it's one of the most intense tryouts known to man and they earned spots which means, they are legit.

Now, since you want to shift the focus to why their not playing (which is old news). By no means did any of these players come to Baylor, or would have gone to any program for that matter with a "gimme" mindset so, that was needless to say. Do you know these players personally, to even make an unnecessary comment like that? I doubt it, Smh. These kids whole career have been based upon working for what they earn.

Appreciate your feedback and longevity with the program however, this means you know the program, not the players and what their capable of doing. As I've stated in previous posts, none of these kids came in perfect however, some have a longer leash than others in making human mistakes and get to play through them. It looks like DeCosta, Bickle and Scott-Grayson have not been chosen to be able to play through these mistakes.

Let's be realistic here, players get better by being hands on, they will never get better by just watching. That's with anything you do in life. And CKM knows this, reference her WVU presser posted on here. She states it herself so, we can't keep saying "oh they did such and such three months ago so, they shouldn't be playing", it makes no sense. No matter if your the #1 team or the #25 team in the country, when you recruit kids they come in expecting to learn the system and get get better individually however, you can't get better by watching and that's a fact. Again, reference it being said from the horses mouth during the WVU presser.

The more these kids play, the better they will get, the more confident with the Baylor system they will get. Let's not be selfish and push them off to the side and say, "oh they did this wrong, they that wrong" he** they ALL still making mistakes and having bad games individually for that matter. None of them are perfect. Their ALL still learning and growing. No need in trying to discredit their abilities and/or capabilities for that matter. Now you talking about, "oh we might explore another grad transfer" and "hey how about those 2019 and 2020 kids"... slow down and appreciate and invest in the talent we already have. So often we don't do our jobs, we just look for instant gratification.

We as a program (no matter what class and/or individual player we talk about) need to pump these kids with confidence and assure ALL of them we believe in them (minus the assumptions, opinions and our own glorified assumed knowledge/confidence) equally. We're not doing that, we're only doing that with some. And those some are getting better. Any player you pump with confidence, actually play and allow them to play through things will get better, that's a given. These kids (the ones watching) have committed to Baylor, coming in smart enough to know what the process is however, the question remains, is Baylor committed to them.
I love Lady Bear fans! I also know it is likely as fans to have our favorites which is fine as well. I think you are a fan of HSG...I am too as are most of the posters. People posted similar comments about Juicy two years ago...and Moon last year...that you have this year about HSG. Everyone wants someone who is not getting minutes to get more minutes. I have decided to believe that despite my preferences Kim's number one goal is to win and she sees the kids a lot more than any of us...and is therefore likely to play who she needs to play when she needs to play them to win the game and compete for Championships. It is a balancing act and the more players she has the tougher it is to find enough minutes game to game to give meaningful minutes to all.

I have posted before and I won't do it again but only five play at a time and with 12 players deserving of playing time some will just have to wait and sit more than they like. You hope that all those sitting don't like it and are motivated to work harder to earn minutes by being a great teammate and working hard in practice and playing hard in the minutes they are given to play.

We have a game tomorrow where our Bigs will have to chase ISU's big all over the CRT because of their tendency to shoot the three's and stretch the floor. I think in part Smith and Queen got more minutes to give Cox and Brown some extra rest...was not the only reason but probably one of the reasons.

HSG, Bickle, and Acosta, have all been hampered to some extent with injuries and illness which accounts for some of the lack of time. Trinity is also coming back after major knee surgery. Certainly not the only reason for reduced time but I would guess it is a factor. I don't think Smith and Queen are the favored ones as much as they are needed more for their sheer size and ability to play the 4 and 5 position. Smith is getting time at 3 and 4. When she got time early she made the most of her opportunities and produced which earned her a spot in the rotation. She really is undersized for the four but her skill set and athleticism allows her to compete well. Queen is getting time primarily at 5...and she has had to earn it her athleticism is off the charts but she was really rough around the edges early on and has to work hard to earn more time which she did. We need kids who can spell Cox and Brown and that to me is the reason for Smith and Queen being given opportunities.

When we lost Morris it forced Kim to find a point guard on the run so to speak and therefore Juicy and Chloe have been given lots of minutes to learn the position and get themselves ready for games down the road.

HSG is probably the only player not in the main rotation who is being looked at in practice as a potential point guard position player. I think she is more of an off guard but would be interested in what you think?

I don't think Honesty is sitting becasue of bias or anything else it is just a coaching decision and one that can be changed from moment to moment. Juicy and Chloe have much more experience at this level and have also performed so barring injury or some other circumstance they will get the majority of the minutes. DiDi and Smith have the 3 position locked down as well so it is tough right now for anyone else to get minutes. I think injuries and getting used to the college game have held back Decosta as if she had been healthy she may have been more of factor in the rotation. Injuries not only cause kids to miss games but also practices...lingering injuries cause kids to have to be held out of practices to rest and not be over used.

I think your attack of Set is misplaced loyalty to HSG which is not a bad thing just a biased thing...we all have them. I think HSG has the potential to be great but sometimes we have to be patient and wait and learn.

Have a great day!
The Old BEAR
Lion82...
Take a deep breath and try to relax.
Nobody here is trying to beat up on you. You are getting overly defensive and your instinct is to become aggressive.
Absolutely NOBODY is attacking you. I realize basketball has been a way of life for you, but it's still a game.
Kids do Little Dribblers for recreation and fun. It's a great source of entertainment. That carries on thru their years.... have fun.
Fans don't go to games out of some obligation. They go to have fun!
It's a game. It's entertainment. Only for coaches is it a life or death situation.

Now I am the further-est thing from a doctor, but I suggest you take a few days off and try to get your composure back. I know you played. I know you coach. I know you have contacts.
But this has nothing to do with basketball... it has to do with feelings, and yours are hurt right now.
Time heals.
"Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?"

---Arthur Ray Briles---
Bone Squad

From the knowledge I have gained in this thread, I have distilled the following, and I present it to all posters as a sort of PSA, so that you will all understand the rules going forward.

The following topics are OFF LIMITS for discussion on these message boards:
  • The possibility of graduate transfers coming to Baylor;
  • Potential high school recruits who might come to Baylor;
  • Any suggestion that high school accolades or recruiting rankings do not constitute a 1:1 accurate predictor of the degree of success a player will have in college;
  • Assumptions;
  • Opinions;
  • Any knowledge or confidence we claim to have;
  • Any denial that we have special knowledge;
  • Complimenting the play of any individual, excepting that such compliment be followed with compliments of equal quantity and quality to each and every other player on the team. (It is currently unclear if this requirement extends to alumni of the team, so tread lightly.)
If you like, you may discuss the color of the ball, subject to the limitations above. For instance, you cannot assume what color the ball will be in any future game. Similarly, you must refrain from offering an opinion on whether the color of the ball is a good one. Nor can you claim to know what the color of the ball was or speak confidently about what color you think it was.

Violations of this policy will be punished. Severely.

GarlandBear84
Yep, might as well shut all message boards down.
Born_A_Bear
But can we criticize TCU's court?
LadyBears42
No, it's definitely about the message your trying to put out there so, let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that. I have absolutely no problem with the message board at all. Oh and don't forget to go and reference that WVU Presser and listen to the coach....Facts!
Eball
LadyBears42 said:

No, it's definitely about the message your trying to put out there so, let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that. I have absolutely no problem with the message board at all. Oh and don't forget to go and reference that WVU Presser and listen to the coach....Facts!
I truly am not understanding how you could take offense at anything Set has posted? What message is he trying to put out there? I have never ever seen him post anything disrespectful aimed at a Lady Bear?
LadyBears42
No ones attacking anyone. We're voicing our opinions to one another and just like he doesn't want me to misunderstand his opinion, he shouldn't misunderstand mine. His message is misplaced all together. Just respect the players, don't get on here discrediting there resumes and questioning there production in response to a positive post, posted about ALL the players as a team. Why bring negative light to a positive comment made. That's what I'm defending not who's playing and who's not and why? Again, that's OLD NEWS

You have a great night as well
Florda_mike
LadyBears42 said:

No ones attacking anyone. We're voicing our opinions to one another and just like he doesn't want me to misunderstand his opinion, he shouldn't misunderstand mine. His message is misplaced all together. Just respect the players, don't get on here discrediting there resumes and questioning there production in response to a positive post, posted about ALL the players as a team. Why bring negative light to a positive comment made. That's what I'm defending not who's playing and who's not and why? Again, that's OLD NEWS

Whew

You've sure got your monthly $10 worth in one day haven't ya?

Good night
geewago
LadyBears42 said:

You need to quit while you're behind.
Chibears2
Setshot is knowledgeable, respectful and a true supporter. I hope he continues to contribute and post his opinions and observations. People can disagree, but he and slimecap and a few others keep this board vital and active and I, for one, want to hear his unvarnished opinion. Hopefully, he is not going to feel intimidated into parsing his every word.
ChapBear
Well, I somehow had the tenacity to read this thread. My eyes hurt and I think I am getting a headache. In this case I have carefully read Setshot's posts and can find nothing that in any way discredit's anyone's credentials, abilities or potential. To imply that is misguided and patently untrue. None of us should have to defend ourselves from phantom and fabricated attacks. Let's just chalk this up to a full moon.
Florda_mike
LadyBears42 said:

I just looked at your profile:
Member since April 21, 2018
Only 27 posts ever, all on Women's BB threads and only on about 7-8 threads EVER!!!
0.10 posts per day
40Ish stars

Those numbers tell me you never post but most of your posts came in yesterday on another women's BB thread and you for some reason just had a really bad misunderstanding that led to an uncharacteristically really bad day

Interesting stuff if nothing else, from a relatively new poster but not new member, as we go through a potentially historic women's BB season

Sic em
Malbec
Every board has its raving odd duck. FB has xiled and Milli, MBB has EGOT, R&P has cinque and jinx. Looks like WBB just found feathers in the pond.
The Old BEAR
LadyBears42 said:

You really need to make a point to meet Lion82.
You two would make great friends.
"Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?"

---Arthur Ray Briles---
skilledup
Before questioning Coach and what her staff does, I would suggest you go to a FEW practices. Please don't go to one!!!! After you watch a few of them then it will help you understand why she makes the decisions on who she will play and not play. Going into the season, I kind of knew who would see the court and who wouldn't, but I watched practices. I did this with quite of few of the Texas teams, but I can't see anything wrong with what setshot said in his post.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson play another year Baylor. I do know that Kim has asked her to return, but that doesn't mean that Kim doesn't believe in the freshman.
Bone Squad
I had assumed (crap, I broke the rules) that this was Jackson's last year of availability.
skilledup
Bone Squad said:

I had assumed (crap, I broke the rules) that this was Jackson's last year of availability.

Lol....I never take things personally. I was under the same assumptions but there is rumblings that because of injuries and transfers, she has one more year of eligibility. I have not looked yet
WacoKelly83
She played one year at NC State and two at LSU according to this article. At least that's how I read it.

http://www.lsunow.com/daily/chloe-jackson-transferring-to-baylor/article_bf86a002-47fe-11e8-807a-f75f3c8336a0.html
CavalryRoadie
skilledup said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson play another year Baylor. I do know that Kim has asked her to return, but that doesn't mean that Kim doesn't believe in the freshman.
She doesn't have any eligibility left after this year, does she?

'14-'15 - NC State "Missed majority of 2014-15 season at NC State with a foot injury"
'15-'16 - Sat out after transferring to LSU
'16-'17 - LSU
'17-'18 - LSU
'18-'19 - Baylor

Did she receive a medical redshirt for '14-'15?

skilledup
CavalryRoadie said:

skilledup said:

'14-'15 - NC State "Missed majority of 2014-15 season at NC State with a foot injury"
'16-'17 - LSU
'17-'18 - LSU
'18-'19 - Baylor

That's what was told to me. Not sure if it's true, but it makes sense to medical redshirt her.
CavalryRoadie
skilledup said:

CavalryRoadie said:

skilledup said:

'16-'17 - LSU
'17-'18 - LSU
'18-'19 - Baylor

That's what was told to me. Not sure if it's true, but it makes sense to medical redshirt her.
If so, that would make next year very interesting.
WacoKelly83
This article states that she did receive a medical redshirt her freshman year.

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/lady_bears_basketball/jackson-on-points-transferring-to-baylor-and-taking-on-south/article_bcf6add0-5861-501a-9b2a-202e58fb1b43.html
Bone Squad
Interesting. If she stayed, it would be her 6th year as a student. If she's wanting a graduate degree, it wouldn't hurt to get another year paid for. But I would understand if she was ready to move on too.

Any buzz on her draft stock if she went this year?
CavalryRoadie
Bone Squad said:

Interesting. If she stayed, it would be her 6th year as a student. If she's wanting a graduate degree, it wouldn't hurt to get another year paid for. But I would understand if she was ready to move on too.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to spend another year honing her skills at PG, in order to make herself more marketable as a pro.
bunation
setshot said:

LadyBears42, our disagreement does not seem to be so much one over the players, but over the function of a fan's message board, so I will leave it at that.

Correct.

Forums exist for the exchange of opinions, ideas. Intolerance doesn't work well.
bunation
Baylor Dad in Va. said:

As a very long term fan of Baylor, and especially Baylor women's basketball, I just want to take this opportunity to thank you all for letting me be part of the community. You have all been most gracious to me and I feel very welcome here.
While being a long-term fan, I am a newbie on this board. I don't know you all, or your history. Because of this lack of knowledge about the individuals here I will sometimes make mistakes in my posts. Not intentionally, nor with any malice. It is simply because I do not know you, and I have well learned over the years to be very cautious about what I accept as the truth over the internet. When everyone is anonymous and I do not know the source I tend to be skeptical until shown the facts. So if there are any of you that I offended, please accept this apology. As I read and post more and more, I will learn more and more about each of you. And I view you all as my friends. I hope you do the same for me.

I am not going to write out the names of everyone that has posted in this thread, but if you have posted here, or if you are just a Baylor fan, I say thanks to you!

Nice comments.

["I Love Virginia" (except the area around DC)...have some roots there.]
Florda_mike
CavalryRoadie said:

skilledup said:

CavalryRoadie said:

skilledup said:

'16-'17 - LSU
'17-'18 - LSU
'18-'19 - Baylor

If so, that would make next year very interesting.

Yes it would indeed!!!!!!

Can someone verify next season for Jackson's availability?

Cough cough ..... Slimecap are you there?
bearbone11
Based on my understanding of NCAA rules, you are eligible for a medical redshirt if you play less than a quarter of the season and have a season ending injury. It looks like her freshman season fits those criteria. So her career would then be as follows:

2014-2015- Medical redshirt at NC State
2015-2016- Transfer sit out at LSU
2016-2017- Play at LSU
2017-2018- Play at LSU
2018-2019- Grad transfer at Baylor.

She would therefore be eligible for a 6th year, since she has only played 3. You can never trust the NCAA to enforce these rules properly. Whether she wants to go to college for 6 years is a whole other deal. We could certainly use her though. I do find it interesting that her roster entry on the Baylor website says she is coming here to play her last season of eligibility. If Kim has talked to her about returning, then she must be confident that the extra year would be granted. I just hope it wouldn't lead to any transfers with the abundance of guards we would have next year.
Bone Squad
Florida Mike, see WacoKelly's linked article a few posts above. It confirms the medical redshirt her freshman season, then her path as a player after that. Bottom line, this is her "junior" year eligibility wise.
Bone Squad
We're only adding one guard next year, Jordyn Oliver. So if Chloe stayed, the numbers would effectively be the same situation as if Morris never left. In other words, no one would be in a situation they did not fully expect to be in when they came to Baylor in the first place.
Eball
No rules expert or insider but I am almost certain she was brought in as a one and done

Would love having her for two.
DanaDane
Strongest Kim team? LOL This is one of Kim's better in terms of starters and worst in terms of bench strength. This team could win the Natty if it stays out of foul trouble or get bounced by a hot shooting team in the Sweet 16 if 2 starters get into foul trouble. Other than Smith. the other freshmen are about as green as I expected they would be and Ursin is "okay."
skilledup
Bone Squad said:

Makes more sense to go in the draft next year. More guards in the draft this year. Next year will be more post players
zt1014
Did you forget the bench player that led us to our in against Tech? Also Smith avg 10ppg. This was just a night that the starters were playing well. Smith only shot a handful of times. If the starters are all playing well the bench won't be needed as much. But this was an off game for them though. Wouldn't say our bench is that weak though.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.