Iowa State

4,966 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wichitabear
Lion82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Although I have not confirmed with the FAA as will be required by Old Bear, it appears Iowa State is having trouble getting here due to weather in Iowa. They were scheduled to dine at a local restaurant in Waco tonight and had to cancel.
WNIT in '23
geewago
It was 19@ there Monday night. Supposed to go down to 8@ tonight. Winter mix of snow and sleet. I have a friend stuck in Minneapolis who can't make it back to Ames. I harvested corn up there for several years and December 15th was always the cut off date for us. What you couldn't get in by then you left for the farmer to get himself if and when Indian summer hit.
gobears20
Staff
How does that work if the game is not played?
bearbone11
There is a flight en route to Waco from Des Moines on flight tracker so I'm guessing they got it cleared up.
geewago
I just talked to a dairy farmer that lives north of Ames and he thought they had had some complications but he thought they would just be arriving a little later than planned.
geewago
bearbone11 said:

There is a flight en route to Waco from Des Moines on flight tracker so I'm guessing they got it cleared up.
They have left Des Moines around 7:00.

Barring any tragedy (god forbid),game is on.
Jacques Strap
Since I went and looked this up I'll copy & paste it here in case someone else needs it.

WATCH: Fox Sports Southwest / Fox Sports Go
Channel Lineup:
DISH: 416
DIRECTV: 676
UVERSE: 753/1753
GRANDE: 27

Jan. 23, 2019 7 p.m.

https://baylorbears.com/news/2019/1/22/womens-basketball-no-2-3-wbb-hosts-no-20-22-iowa-state-on-fox-sports-southwest-wednesday.aspx
ScottS
According to my research, ISU has no players taller than 6'3". I say we dominate them inside. Their only chance will be to hit 3s at a high %.
WacoKelly83
You better get word to Kim..
bearbone11
I know they seem much improved this year, but this is largely the same Iowa State team that we annihilated 2 times last season. I just can't see them hanging with us athletically or size wise. I agree that their only real chance is to shoot a lot of threes and make them at a high rate. That is generally their strategy all the time, but they only make 34% from distance, which probably won't get it done considering we should own the paint on both ends.
Baylor Dad in Va.
WacoKelly83 said:

You better get word to Kim..
Kim is well aware. In her presser she said that she was glad that she was able to rest Brown and Cox because they would be chasing Iowa State defenders Wed. night.

I think Iowa State may be surprised to play against out defense. They are most certainly not going to put up 104 against us. (Does OU know the word defense?)
setshot
We seemed to have learned our lesson in the Stanford game. Inviting teams to fire away at long range is not a very good prescription for victory if they have the size to challenge our offensive players in the paint. In fact, we have shown a major uptick in our ability and determination to challenge the perimeter shot, so I would not expect ISU to get too many wide open looks. Whether they can slow down our inside out game is open to question, as they have yet to do so in recent years.

What I hope that we do is put the hammer down early and often and take them out of their game. We should be more athletic and with more depth, we should be able to push them, get turnovers and rebounds,and get out into transition. Tired legs make for poor shooting, and we need to tire them with relentless pressure. It will be another good test for the evolving Lady Bears.
geewago
The freshman Joens can drain threes if she's left open. I'm assuming Juicy will guard her and Didi will be put on Carleton their top scorer.
ScottS
One difference SetShot is that ISU doesn't have near the size that Stanford has.
sevenmilebeachbob
The ISU coach regularly and publicly comments that Bridget Carleton is the best player in the Big 12. I'd bet that has been mentioned to Didi (and the other BU players).
ChapBear
It seems that last year we held them to 2 points during one quarter. We did the same to TCU in the second quarter this year. Let's hit them early and hard. Get a few of them to foul out guarding our bigs.
jumpinjoe
Looking back, it's been the three ball that has knocked us out of the NCAA tourney with Louisville, Mississippi State, and Oregon. Stanford used the three to give us our only loss this year.

KM knows this, so that is why she emphasizes guarding against it, and finding players who are effective at it by locking down the shooter. West Virginia's Tunisha(?) Walker hurt us but couldn't keep up with us. Iowa State will be another good test for us. It's good to play teams that depend on the three, because we need that experience when it comes to tourney time when other teams can offer the three with their other options to score.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Bone Squad
jumpinjoe said:

West Virginia's Tunisha(?) Walker
Did you mean Tynice Martin? If so, that may be the most hilarious misspelling ever.

So basically, this came comes down to Richards vs. Carleton. Sic 'em, Didi.
The Old BEAR
Lion82 said:

Although I have not confirmed with the FAA as will be required by Old Bear, it appears Iowa State is having trouble getting here due to weather in Iowa. They were scheduled to dine at a local restaurant in Waco tonight and had to cancel.
Well there you go. They are on their way and will be here in plenty of time.
That's why stories need to be confirmed.
Good to know though, that you have various local restaurants on your speed dial.
Care to tell us where they had to cancel that "Open Table" reservation?
Also from your comments, I doubt I'll be receiving a Birthday Card from you this year.
I am heart broken..!!
"Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?"

---Arthur Ray Briles---
Lion82
Moroso's
WNIT in '23
The Old BEAR
Lion82 said:

Moroso's
Just out of curiosity, how does anyone from Waco know the dinner reservations of the Iowa State Basketball team?

---Arthur Ray Briles---
Illinois Bear2
The Old BEAR said:

Lion82 said:

Moroso's
Just out of curiosity, how does anyone from Waco know the dinner reservations of the Iowa State Basketball team?
Probably because they work at the restaurant.
Eball
Choir practice tonight...yes Eball sings. Will have to tape start of game as wont be home till 7:45. Dang it. Don't let it get away early. Sic em Bears .
Malbec
The Old BEAR said:

Lion82 said:

Well there you go. They are on their way and will be here in plenty of time.
That's why stories need to be confirmed.
Good to know though, that you have various local restaurants on your speed dial.
Care to tell us where they had to cancel that "Open Table" reservation?
Also from your comments, I doubt I'll be receiving a Birthday Card from you this year.
I am heart broken..!!
You're a blast at parties I bet. Only problem is, you'd only get invited once.
Wichitabear
I love Old Bear because he's cranky as hell !
mlb60
geewago said:

It was 19@ there Monday night. Supposed to go down to 8@ tonight. Winter mix of snow and sleet. I have a friend stuck in Minneapolis who can't make it back to Ames. I harvested corn up there for several years and December 15th was always the cut off date for us. What you couldn't get in by then you left for the farmer to get himself if and when Indian summer hit.

I worked baling hay, and I bet corn isn't anymore fun than hay. Incentive to finish college
And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
The Old BEAR
Wichitabear said:

I love Old Bear because he's cranky as hell !
Cranky...???
I am the most lovable person on this site !!!!
I have been roaming these parts since the inception.
Way back when this was BaylorFans, I was their 3rd charter member.
Some, like Lion, want to be the High Sheriff of these parts.....
Not me. I am the self-proclaimed OUTLAW around here.
Have been for years.
And as I tell my good friend, the California Preacher (Pale)....
"Oh Lord it's hard to remain humble when you are perfect in every way."
Carry on, my friend. Carry on.

---Arthur Ray Briles---
Wichitabear
Ok Lolol so humble in every way. I just love you old bear. I have no doubt that you are a good person.
The Old BEAR
Wichitabear said:

Ok Lolol so humble in every way. I just love you old bear. I have no doubt that you are a good person.
I appreciate the kind words.
As someone who has spent the better part of 43 years being married to a former athlete and coach, I have seen the social injustices that women's athletics had to endure.
I well remember her playing days, when a great road trip was a trip to San Antonio. Meanwhile the men were in Hawaii or the Bahamas.
I remember when she had to get her commercial license to drive her team on that un-air conditioned yellow dog.
The men traveling on Greyhound Charters or by air.
You will find no bigger supporter of Title IX than me.
But I also recognize the bitterness that some still hold.
Everyone just needs to bury that old hatchet and just enjoy the ride.
Women's sports programs have never been in better shape.

---Arthur Ray Briles---
Wichitabear
So agree and she must be proud to see how our Lady Bears have done. Coaches put in long hours and that limits some of family time. You must be very proud of her.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.