Lady Bears vs. Iowa State Game Thread

13,641 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wichitabear
BUletters
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good news, Lady Bears fans. In her postgame interview, Coach Kim acknowledged a change for tonight's game in the standard "help defense" that the Lady Bears typically play. The change was not leaving 3-point shooters to help on someone driving to the basket. OK so Iowa State drove in for layups a few times. Credit to #21 for being really good. But, they made only seven 3-pointers so I will take that trade. This adjustment bodes well for the rest of the season in my opinion. Good solid win.
mlb60
BUletters said:

Good news, Lady Bears fans. In her postgame interview, Coach Kim acknowledged a change for tonight's game in the standard "help defense" that the Lady Bears typically play. The change was not leaving 3-point shooters to help on someone driving to the basket. OK so Iowa State drove in for layups a few times. Credit to #21 for being really good. But, they made only seven 3-pointers so I will take that trade. This adjustment bodes well for the rest of the season in my opinion. Good solid win.
. Against a good solid team with a very good coach and with a future pro player leading them. I'll take that. Not looking forward to playing them for in their house.
And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
BaylorTaxman
A few thoughts having gone to the game:

1. Carleton was even better rhan I expected. We did much better job on her when we switched her responsibility to quicker players.

2. After Carleton, Iowa State was not as well-rounded as I thought they would be. They had a few starters pad their stats in the 4Q when we slowed down. But otherwise they seemed like a one-trick pony. Once we contained Carleton, we really overwhelmed them.

3. Chloe is getting more and more comfortable with her mid-range jumper. As is Didi.

4. I am really disgusted by the smaller crowd size. This was the one team I thought could knock us off in conference (ok maybe UT....maybe). I thought we had a more knowledgable fan base, but this was an important game for our fans to attend. You can be certain Iowa State will fill their arena when we play up there. I know this is a growing trend in college sports, but we are #2 in the country and were playing a ranked opponent. A half-full arena was not a good look.
slimecap
Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said the Lady Bears didn't make any significant changes defensively at halftime.

"I just went in and said, 'Guys, she's [Carleton] got 24 of their 35 points. Got to do a better job harassing her, just make it even tougher.' ... We had to do a better job man-to-man and really bodying up and realizing that I'm not going to have help tonight. I just thought we just withstood it. And in the third quarter, we just opened it up a little bit."

- Stephen Hawkins, Associated Press @ WRAL Sports Fan, 23 Jan 2019
BaylorTaxman
Thanks Slimecap. In her interview with the Baylor radio crew, Kim said we originally had Lauren guarding Carleton, but that she switched to Juicy and Didi for more quickness and something about having hands more on the ball instead of vertical. I think she said we made that change sometime in 2Q
bunation
BaylorTaxman said:

A few thoughts having gone to the game:

4. I am really disgusted by the smaller crowd size. This was the one team I thought could knock us off in conference (ok maybe UT....maybe). I thought we had a more knowledgable fan base, but this was an important game for our fans to attend. You can be certain Iowa State will fill their arena when we play up there. I know this is a growing trend in college sports, but we are #2 in the country and were playing a ranked opponent. A half-full arena was not a good look.

4. While I agree...

It's difficult, to say the least, for non-Waco fans to make the trip on a week night. That's a min six hour commitment from Austin & DFW and nine from Houston & San Antonio.

(Plus, few Texans like to get out in freezing weather!)

It's really up to STUDENTS & those in the Waco vicinity to fill the seats for games Mon thru Thurs.

Most student tickets are gratis............

Edit: Thru the years, we have sporadically attended/spectated eight BU sports. It's (almost) always worth the effort!

57Bear
Eball said:

Way to early to worry about transfers. We have this season to play. A lot of games left .

I have done this before but if you wanted to play our 12 players an equal amount of time each one would only get 16.6 minutes less than half the game. Now we know the starters will get more but let's say starting 5 play 30 minutes each 3/4 game to stay sharp and in game shape that leaves 50 minutes so play 7 players equal minutes they get just over 7 minutes a game. So everyone needs to do the math and understand that minutes are hard to come by as a freshman on a really good team.
Transfers occur on a 2- way street. Would this team be doing as well if Chloe Jackson had not transferred in?
Eball
57Bear said:

Eball said:

Way to early to worry about transfers. We have this season to play. A lot of games left .

I have done this before but if you wanted to play our 12 players an equal amount of time each one would only get 16.6 minutes less than half the game. Now we know the starters will get more but let's say starting 5 play 30 minutes each 3/4 game to stay sharp and in game shape that leaves 50 minutes so play 7 players equal minutes they get just over 7 minutes a game. So everyone needs to do the math and understand that minutes are hard to come by as a freshman on a really good team.
Transfers occur on a 2- way street. Would this team be doing as well if Chloe Jackson had not transferred in?
So true...Jackson has been a gift from heaven...especially in light of the Morris transfer. I just hope the freshmen all have the maturity to understand it is rare a freshman will come in and dominate and challenge for significant minutes on an experienced team with lots of talent. We are not the only team that plays a rotation of 7-8 players at most giving starters heavy minutes. In fact it is the norm.

A think all of the four that are not in the 8 player rotation have been and are hampered by injuries and recoveries as well.
Chibears2
If those freshmen can experience what it is liked to be feted at, and participate on, a Final Four team, and, if they can see a pathway by which the Lady Bears might return to that party, then it will make being patient for their turn a lot easier.
StatMan
I was at the Ferrell Center Wednesday night. It was great to see Lauren Cox have a great overall performance, and reaching the milestone 1,000-point club. All 5 Lady Bears starters scoring in double figures in the latest win, more than offset the individual performance by Bridget Carleton of Iowa State. 29 team assists for Baylor continues the season long them of unselfish play. The Lady Bears are an extremely impressive 210-1 when shooting 50% or higher under Kim Mulkey.
ladybears4eva
The team looked good. Gelling great.

For security's sake, id like some other guard to run our point incase of injury to Jackson or landrum.

Last year when we lost Wallace at the end of the regular season, it really killed our chances of success.

Itd be like insurance in our guard play...

The two posts off the bench do provide insurance for us in the front court... and keeps brown n cox from over working... so im confident they will perform through the tournament.

The guard play will intensify with big 12 action, the opposition in the conference is guard heavy this season and we need some stability beyond Jackson/landrum.
geewago
ladybears4eva said:

The team looked good. Gelling great.

For security's sake, id like some other guard to run our point incase of injury to Jackson or landrum.

Last year when we lost Wallace at the end of the regular season, it really killed our chances of success.

Itd be like insurance in our guard play...

The two posts off the bench do provide insurance for us in the front court... and keeps brown n cox from over working... so im confident they will perform through the tournament.

The guard play will intensify with big 12 action, the opposition in the conference is guard heavy this season and we need some stability beyond Jackson/landrum.
Unless Oklahoma gets UConn-itis this Sunday I suspect Trinity, Moon and Honesty will see some time.
Chibears2
Hasn't Moon run a little point when in with freshmen? I agree, would like some depth there. And I worry about all the minutes Juicy is logging, but she seems to be holding up okay...
Eball
Chibears2 said:

Hasn't Moon run a little point when in with freshmen? I agree, would like some depth there. And I worry about all the minutes Juicy is logging, but she seems to be holding up okay...
Moon has some limited time there but if (Heaven forbid) Juicy or Chloe had to sit I think you would see DiDi get more time at the 1 or 2...that would allow Smith to play three so we would have quite a big lineup!
Lion82
57Bear said:

I think Chloe has been incredible. The Lady Bears have done very well with transfers over the years. With transfers We seem to always get more than we lose. Chelsea Whitaker, Brooklin Pope, Destiny Williams and Bermice Mosby come to mind.
WNIT in '23
Chibears2
WacoKelly83
And Alexis Jones
ladybears4eva
Love our transfers. They really made an impact those years.
ladybears4eva
Ill be happy if we can sit either juicy or Chloe more.

Save her the long semester
Eball
8 players in rotation:
Cox play either 4-5
Brown play 5
DiDi play 1,2,or 3
Juicy 1 or 2
Jackson 1 or 2

Smith- comes in at 3 or 4
Queen comes in at 5 or 4

Moon comes in at 2

200 minutes available...starters play 30 minutes on average not to over play but keep them sharp 150 used.

50 minutes left to get Moon, Smith and Queen ready...if we gave each of them 10 minutes (30 minutes) then that leaves 20 minutes for the other 4 or about 5 minutes each?

As much as folks want to give people minutes to build depth and avoid injury there are not enough minutes as a practical matter to accomplish same.

Most of the time in competitive games all our starters will play more than 30 minutes each Smith plays about 15 -20 Queen and Moon usually split whatever is left.

In blowouts Queen Moon and Smith get more minutes as the Starters play around 25 minutes. It still leaves limited time for the rest of the roster and results in some playing out of position and/or some never getting to play with the top guards or top posts.

Eball
The above post was sort of a generic example to show how difficult it is to get everyone on a 12 person roster time.

Here are the actual Minutes per game season averages through ISU game. Remember that some games folks don't play at all so you have to see how many games they actually play to understand usage:

Brown 16 24.7

Cox 17 27.8

Jackson 17 32.2

Smith 17 18.8

Landrum 17 30.7

Egbo 16 11.9

Richards 17 24.3

Ursin, 17 11.2

Bickle, 13 8.2

Scott-Grayson 13 7.1

Oliver 13 7.7

DeCosta 8 6.1

We have played 17 games and 6 have played in all 17 Brown would be 7 but she missed one becasue of injury. I think Queen did not play against UCONN. So our regular rotation of 8 has been steady all year. DeCosta and HSG have missed games because of injury and illness.

I don't think any are being overused and Cox and Brown have both been getting extended rest thanks to the good play of Queen and Smith. Last year Brown was at 29 minutes a game and Cox was at 30 so they playing less.

Juicy and Jackson have played more minutes becasue of the need to learn the point guard position. One of them stays on the floor all the time unless we have a comfortable lead.

Of course how quickly and how far we get a lead determines minutes as well. if we have a big secure lead obviously more substitutions.

Wichitabear
This is very useful Eball

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.