DeCosta ! Are you kiddin me?

6,365 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BU71
longtimebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So excited to see the meaningful minutes for the non starters. Scott-Grayson gave a sense of how good she will be, Oliver still plays with hustle and confidence, Ursin what a talented player.

But De Costa....I didn't know she was so QUICK! If women wore jock's, there would be a few left out there on the court. Come on big D, get good on defense so you can get more playing time. She is exciting.
ftblbob5
DeCosta is an exceptional talent as a guard. As soon as her defense measures up to CKM's standards, she'll wear people out.

With Ursin, Honesty and DeCosta, I feel much better about the guard depth for the rest of the season.
2022 Adopt A Bear: Jackie Marshall - 6'3",281, R-Fr, East St. John HS, LaPlace, LA

Respect the game.
mimi25408
Yes DeCosta is absolutely ungaurdable when she takes someone 1 on 1. Its was great to see both her and Honesty flex their muscles today. All the freshman look very nice on the floor together. DeCosta and Bickle still have a major problem with defence although they have gotten better. Its seems like DeCosta keeps reversing back to zone when she gets in the game. Both her and Bickle needs to learn to play in front so that way when the opponent drives past them they can draw the charge instead of the foul.
Polarbear
So much athleticism, it's easy to see why she was a top 10 recruit last year. But also so much learning curve to play at highest level of D1 college ball. Even on offense, her entry passes need to improve, along with her sense of spacing, and her sense of how to attack a defense as a 5 player unit instead of 1 on 1. But, wow is she electric with her athletic talent. She'll correct and improve those other things with hard work.

Interesting to hear Jim Haller remark that he's been to enough practices to believe that Decosta and Grayson are only limited in minutes now because of their defense, but their offensive ability shines through.
WacoKelly83
Mulkey in her presser talked about DeCosta's injuries and that she is just now showing what she can do. Knee surgery early on and then a toe injury. That took 5-6 weeks to heal.
setshot
Injuries have been a factor in the slow start for DeCosta, and we know that Bickle and Grayson have to be hampered a bit by the braces that they wear, but the experience that they get every practice as they test themselves against the #1 team in the country is invaluable and they will be the better for it next year. Just watching how the veterans handle themselves and how they respond the the coaching that they get in this program is in and of itself a major advantage that should make their sophomore year a much more productive year for them.

DeCosta has the capability for spectacular plays that you just don't see from most Division I players, and her athleticism is off the charts. I saw about six of her high school games last season and she made plays in every game that had the "wow" factor. Unfortunately, the coach did not seem to know what he had in her and misused her more often than not.

The defense at her high school was a zone press, falling back into a lazy zone. She has never learned how to defend one on one until arriving at Baylor, and she was slowed by her toe injury at the very time she should have been immersed in the defense that Mulkey teaches and she did not get nearly enough practice time. If she sets her mind to absorbing the defensive lessons and forming the habits that make for solid defense every time out, she will become a huge asset for this program, because she can score and she can rebound, big time. She could be a shut down defender if she is willing to learn and to apply what has been taught.

We got more than a peek at Grayson's skill set today in her extended minutes and it was highly gratifying. There was never much doubt that she had a sweet stroke and had good court vision. She just needed to relax and play her game within the flow of the offense and step up her defense. In the practice that I watched back in October she showed a degree of defensive tenacity, but her reactions were just a trifle slow. That could be attributed to the brace that she wears, or to her lack of familiarity with the speed and physicality of the game at the Big 12 level, but it was nothing that practice and conditioning could not alleviate. I thought that she was fundamentally sound even then.

I have no idea what Mulkey plans for her, whether to move her back to the point guard slot or to leave her at the SG position. She is capable of either, but would probably be a better scorer off the ball, though that is a supposition on my part based on a short exposure at this point.

I would love to see Bickle play without the brace and with peak conditioning. She battles for rebounds, goes after loose balls, and we know that she can shoot from out on the floor and run the floor well in transition. She just seems to be a bit awkward right now and that may be due to a number of factors, not the least of which is that she missed most of her senior year in high school with injury and arrived at Baylor still carrying some of the effects of that. The brace may be more of a psychological hindrance than it is a physical one.

It delighted me to see Ursin in full flight, today. Her progress and her attitude are commendable; she stays ready and focused, and her aggressive defense does not get her into deep foul trouble with unproductive fouls as it did last year. Landrum has also managed to become more cerebral and less purely physical at the defensive end and that keeps her on the floor now that she is a veteran and has absorbed the lessons that are taught in that program. Mulkey now has options that she has not had in the past, and it will pay huge dividends up ahead, particularly at tournament time.
The Old BEAR
setshot said:

Injuries have been a factor in the slow start for DeCosta, and we know that Bickle and Grayson have to be hampered a bit by the braces that they wear, but the experience that they get every practice as they test themselves against the #1 team in the country is invaluable and they will be the better for it next year. Just watching how the veterans handle themselves and how they respond the the coaching that they get in this program is in and of itself a major advantage that should make their sophomore year a much more productive year for them.

DeCosta has the capability for spectacular plays that you just don't see from most Division I players, and her athleticism is off the charts. I saw about six of her high school games last season and she made plays in every game that had the "wow" factor. Unfortunately, the coach did not seem to know what he had in her and misused her more often than not.

The defense at her high school was a zone press, falling back into a lazy zone. She has never learned how to defend one on one until arriving at Baylor, and she was slowed by her toe injury at the very time she should have been immersed in the defense that Mulkey teaches and she did not get nearly enough practice time. If she sets her mind to absorbing the defensive lessons and forming the habits that make for solid defense every time out, she will become a huge asset for this program, because she can score and she can rebound, big time. She could be a shut down defender if she is willing to learn and to apply what has been taught.

We got more than a peek at Grayson's skill set today in her extended minutes and it was highly gratifying. There was never much doubt that she had a sweet stroke and had good court vision. She just needed to relax and play her game within the flow of the offense and step up her defense. In the practice that I watched back in October she showed a degree of defensive tenacity, but her reactions were just a trifle slow. That could be attributed to the brace that she wears, or to her lack of familiarity with the speed and physicality of the game at the Big 12 level, but it was nothing that practice and conditioning could not alleviate. I thought that she was fundamentally sound even then.

I have no idea what Mulkey plans for her, whether to move her back to the point guard slot or to leave her at the SG position. She is capable of either, but would probably be a better scorer off the ball, though that is a supposition on my part based on a short exposure at this point.

I would love to see Bickle play without the brace and with peak conditioning. She battles for rebounds, goes after loose balls, and we know that she can shoot from out on the floor and run the floor well in transition. She just seems to be a bit awkward right now and that may be due to a number of factors, not the least of which is that she missed most of her senior year in high school with injury and arrived at Baylor still carrying some of the effects of that. The brace may be more of a psychological hindrance than it is a physical one.

It delighted me to see Ursin in full flight, today. Her progress and her attitude are commendable; she stays ready and focused, and her aggressive defense does not get her into deep foul trouble with unproductive fouls as it did last year. Landrum has also managed to become more cerebral and less purely physical at the defensive end and that keeps her on the floor now that she is a veteran and has absorbed the lessons that are taught in that program. Mulkey now has options that she has not had in the past, and it will pay huge dividends up ahead, particularly at tournament time.
I noticed today that Bickle is constantly adjusting and tightening the velcro straps on her brace. It is obvious that it is on her mind. Would love to know if it's needed.. or a prevention at this point.
"Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?"

---Arthur Ray Briles---
RSBear
So impressed with De Costa today!!!
Jacques Strap
Nice home win
KOKQB70
Dr. Setshot again shines with incredible analysis, Baylor's basketball gift that keeps on giving, and we appreciate every word and sentence from his home on left coast.
longtimebear
KOK QB 70 said:

Dr. Setshot again shines with incredible analysis, Baylor's basketball gift that keeps on giving, and we appreciate every word and sentence from his home on left coast.
And all God's people said........AMEN!
willtalk
setshot said:

-----------------------------------------------------DeCosta has the capability for spectacular plays that you just don't see from most Division I players, and her athleticism is off the charts. I saw about six of her high school games last season and she made plays in every game that had the "wow" factor. Unfortunately, the coach did not seem to know what he had in her and misused her more often than not.

Very good and insightful post. Agree 100% except for the part I bolded. I also remember a past post where you pretty much made the same statement along with you take on the ball handlers who tended to dominate the ball. Based on what you saw i would not disagree. However there were mitigating circumstances that would give a better perspective to your observations. DeCosta's Jr and Sr seasons were generally a clusterfluck. They were not typical of what could be expected from the program she was in. Generally during the last two years a player plays at the position that they will play at the next level. This did not happen with DeCosta for a number of reasons. Basically because of adjustments made due to massive loss of key players through injury and a multitude of other factors. It all started to unravel after the won the State Open and Nike the subsequent year.

The defense you saw was also not typical. Generally they ran a full court zone trap which was considered the best and most intense in the nation. They never ran a lazy zone except for her last two seasons. They did that because the did not have the personal and were protecting the ones they did.

Many posters in the NO Cal area believe that the zone trap hinders players in respect to playing man to man. That is not true, because the players that came out of that system end up being very good defenders early on as freshman. The reason is that in a zone trap position is not only important but you have to constantly move and re-establish position. DeCosta's issues were not because of the zone trap but because they did not run the trap and she never really defended elite parameter players before. As I stated in another post she is transitioning.

They also did not have a true point guard and the ball was controlled by shooting guards and they lived up to that name. The reason I am even mentioning these things is to give context i respect to your perspective in respect to your observations about her coach which were not entirely fair. The program is one of the most successful in California both in winning state championships, national rankngs, and also their success in transitioning players to the next level. What you saw was not typical of the program, but rather an aberration.

Other than that point very good insight. I do give Mulkey a lot of credit for what she is doing with DeCosta. Transitioning her to a parameter players is a long term advantage to both DeCosta and the Bears. This is what was supposed to and ordinarily would have happened in her high school program, but unfortunately did not.

As I stated in another thread on this site, DeCosta took third in the skills competition at the 3x3 worlds. She represented the USA even though Christine Williams was on the team. Even though she can rebound her real talent offensive talent is displayed in space and that will only happen on the parameter. As you stated, she needs to develop a more consistent focus on defending elite guards. She has the talent, but with her it is generally a matter of focus. Which the soft zone they played her last two years in high school did not help.
Booray
How good of a coach is Kim Mulkey? A couple of weeks ago, these reserves could not hang with TT's first unit. Yesterday was a different story. To see these kids improve while not playing monster minutes is a big tribute to Kim and her staff.
setshot
Thanks, willtalk. Much appreciated context for DeCosta's high school experience.

I only watched her last year when it became clear that she was committing to Baylor. I subscribed to the videos that her school made available for their home games and it was fun because it was done by the students at the high school.

I did not intend to disparage the coach, though it came off that way to the reader. He positioned her at the free throw line at the offensive end, with only occasional movement from that position. She rarely played out away from the paint, and they had two or three shooters who almost never got the ball to her so that she could operate as either a scorer or a facilitator.

When she did have the ball she was unselfish to a fault, but scored most of her points in transition or on putbacks when rebounding in the games that I saw, most of them easily won by her team. I thought that DeCosta was capable of averaging thirty points a game if she had the ball in her hands. She missed a few dipsy-doodle shots that I am sure she can make much of the time, but she did not often have the opportunity to work in there. I think that in the games I watched she took no more than a couple of three point shots. Her teammates were doing almost all the shooting, and while they were not bad shooters (one of them was going to Florida, another to Princeton if I recall correctly), DeCosta was the best player on the floor but rarely got much of an opportunity to demonstrate that.

The zone trap was effective against the level of competition they were playing in and around Stockton, and DeCosta was one of the reasons why. She played the role of the "center fielder" in that zone and had tremendous anticipation and with her athleticism and quickness, she forced many turnovers. In one game I counted six steals, and just stopped counting.

She is a real talent and I am happy that she chose Baylor.. I visited with her parents at the Stanford game and they were exceptionally nice people. They seemed to be very supportive of her decision to go off to Waco, Texas, and her Dad and I had an interesting discussion about certain aspects of her game. Great folks, as are you, willtalk.
TejasBexar
DeCosta is unbelievable!!!
Bearprof
This may sound very sexist but I've never seen a female basketball player have that double between the legs dribble then driving baseline sequence I saw DeCosta do the other night. If that's any indication of how athletic she is, this will not end well for opposing teams for the next three years. Incredible imagination and handles.
willtalk
Since I opened a can of worms, I feel I have to say something in defense of the two guards. The year before because of injuries to multiple players( which included DeCosta ) they basically had to carry the offense, so they got into a habit of playing a two person game. That basically created a bad pattern they would often fall into the next year as well which was magnified by the fact that they were shooting guards. You can try to make a shooting guard a point but their mindset will still be that of an off guard. It takes a multiple years to change the mental pattern.
gobears20
Staff
Chibears2
What Willtalk says above about changing the mindset of a shooting guard (let me interject here, especially one late in her college career), is what makes the performance we have seen this year by Chloe Jackson so exceptional. The pressure will continue to mount as the stakes get higher, and in the winner take all atmosphere of the NCAA's, she will face stout competition, but if Chloe can just continue to gain confidence and refine the finer aspects of point guard play, she can stay ahead of what's down the road. We need her to be solid.

Now, since this thread is really about DeCosta, let me just say "Wow!" The on court potential that young woman has makes me salivate thinking about the privilege of watching her play three more years in the green and gold!
ChapBear
I had the distinct pleasure of sitting with Aquira's parents in Las Vegas. They are incredible people and I am so glad to see their daughter get healed and make such an amazing appearance against Tech. I didn't realize how uniquely talented she really is due to her injuries. What a great backcourt if Aquira can play shooting guard. She can hit the three and drive at will to the bucket. A lot of fun ahead.
slimecap

slimecap

Aquira DeCosta dives for a loose ball
Feb 13, 2019
Brian Ethridge
Staff
slimecap said:

Aquira DeCosta dives for a loose ball
Feb 13, 2019

She was called for a foul there, but she was on the ground first then KSU player dove into her.
slimecap

bowdedg
DeCosta is the one team member that I am excited to see this coming year. With her athleticism, I'm hoping she makes a huge leap from her Freshman to Sophomore year. I'm curious to see how much she has grown as a defender in man to man. Defense seemed to be her only weakness, as she was use to a zone from High School. The little amount of time that we saw her last year was exciting as you could see the huge potential. I'm hoping she becomes one of our all time favorites!
BU71
bowdedg said:

DeCosta is the one team member that I am excited to see this coming year. With her athleticism, I'm hoping she makes a huge leap from her Freshman to Sophomore year. I'm curious to see how much she has grown as a defender in man to man. Defense seemed to be her only weakness, as she was use to a zone from High School. The little amount of time that we saw her last year was exciting as you could see the huge potential. I'm hoping she becomes one of our all time favorites!
I agree, I can't wait to see her this year. I believe her defense will be on point and she is instant offense! If she doesn't start she will win the Sixth Man Award!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.