Story Poster
Photo by Todd Nickle

Lady Bears Ranked As No. 1 Seed In Big Reveal

February 11, 2019

For the first time ever, the NCAA revealed the top 16 programs in Women’s Basketball at halftime of the UConn vs. South Carolina game on ESPN2. The Baylor Lady Bears, top ranked by the AP and Coaches poll, were placed as a No. 1-seed by the NCAA committee in Greensboro.

Ranked No. 1 in both the Coaches Poll and the AP Poll, Baylor sits at at 21-1 overall for the season and 11-0 in Big 12 play. Baylor defeated Connecticut earlier in the season while they only loss came to Stanford in the non-conference portion of the schedule. 

Baylor has six more contests remaining in the regular season with a road trip to Manhattan, Kansas to face Kansas State (15-9; 6-6) on Wednesday evening. 

Albany Regional

1. Mississippi State

2. UConn

3. Oregon State

4. Miami

Chicago Regional

1. Louisville

2. Stanford

3. Marquette

4. Iowa State

Greensboro Regional

1. Baylor

2. Notre Dame

3. Maryland

4. South Carolina

Portland Regional

1. Oregon

2. NC State

3. Iowa

4. Gonzaga

Discussion from...

Lady Bears Ranked As No. 1 Seed In Big Reveal

12,319 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WacoKelly83
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like it
RSBear
Let's hope it changes. I think it could be much better.
Wichitabear
Yes, I was just excited about the seeding. Not excited about ND
Old300Bear
That regional shows just how bad the NCAA does not want us to succeed. Shameful!
Dcheetah
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25974995/why-no-1-seed-baylor-issue-ncaa-selection-committee-top-16-reveal
oso de esqui
By the end of the year, isn't That better than a one in Portland.
geewago
For once Charlie Creme is really speaking out. Claiming a great imbalance in the selection. Citing BU's region as the example. He's right on.
slimecap
RSBear said:

I think it could be much better.
Well ... <sigh> ... at least it is better than the First Reveal last year.

NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Committee
January 18, 2018
Top-16 Ranking*

01 UConn #1 seed Albany Region
02 Mississippi State #1 seed Kansas City Region
03 Louisville #1 seed Lexington Region
04 Oregon #1 seed Spokane Region
05 Tennessee
06 Notre Dame
07 Texas
08 South Carolina
09 Baylor
10 Ohio State
11 Florida State
12 UCLA
13 Missouri
14 Texas A&M
15 Rutgers
16 Georgia

*Rankings based on games played through Tuesday night, January 16, 2018.

Baylor Dad in Va.
Baylor Dad in Va.
What can I say? I think that as things currently stand we get a bad deal.

Thanks to Dcheetah the article in the link makes my point.
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25974995/why-no-1-seed-baylor-issue-ncaa-selection-committee-top-16-reveal

But others have pointed out that there is a lot of basketball to be played before the final brackets are posted, so things will change. I just hope that there is more equality between the number of truly talented teams in each bracket, rather than than the imbalance that currently exists.
3rdgenbear
I think Charlie must be a ND fan. They and SC just got the wind knocked out of their sails when they saw whose bracket they were in. Must of been a few "you've gotta be kidding me" whispers when they saw it.

It's a long way from tourney time. We have important games to play and need to stay healthy. Hopefully, we can get some more experience into those who can help down the stretch.

Awesome job thus far, Lady Bears!
EasyE
Just comparing 1's and 2's, it looks like they have Oregon as the #1 overall with Louisville the #2, and Baylor as the the 3rd overall seed.
4th and Inches
EasyE said:

Just comparing 1's and 2's, it looks like they have Oregon as the #1 overall with Louisville the #2, and Baylor as the the 3rd overall seed.
bracketing looks like that but the committees list shows we are 1 overall... they seed weird in womens bball, alot of thought relating to fan bases occurs vs just using the S curve with procedural bumps
CavalryRoadie
It's hard for me to get wrapped around the axle about this, considering there is a 100% chance it will change by March 4, and again by March 18.
slimecap
EasyE said:

It does seem that way. However, Baylor is #1 overall.

slimecap
Baylor Dad in Va. said:

What can I say? I think that as things currently stand we get a bad deal.

whitetrash
Following the S Curve, Greensboro would be strongest (1/6/11/13) and Albany the weakest (4/5/12/16). Part of the problem is that there are 4 ACC teams currently in the top 16, and they have to be spread one to each regional. There would have been more balance and less controversy to have put BU in Chicago with NCSt as the 2, Louisville's bracket intact in Greensboro, and ND out west with Oregon.

However, there may be lots of movement in the seedings, and the ACC problem may solve itself by the next reveal. Not counting conference tournaments, here are the remaining matchups between the top 16, plus other ranked opponents left for the seeded teams:

Baylor: @ IowaSt (UT)
Lville: Mia, NCSt (NONE)
Oregon: OreSt, @OreSt (@AzSt)
MissSt: @ SCar (@Aggy)
UConn: NONE (NONE)
ND: @NCSt (@Syracuse)
MD: @Iowa (NONE)
Marquette: NONE (NONE)**
Stanford: NONE (AzSt)
NCSt: ND, @Lville, Mia (@Syracuse)
Iowa: MD (NONE)
OreSt: @Oregon, Oregon (@AzSt)
SCar: MissSt (KY)
Gonzaga: NONE (NONE)
IowaSt: BU (@UT)
Mia: @Lville, @NCSt (FlaSt)

Miami, NCSt or both could well fall out, with FlaSt as a possible replacement. OreSt could fall if they get blown out twice by Oregon. ND and MissSt have a couple of potential trap games, and you could perhaps say we do too. The 3 ranked teams from weak conferences have no one of consequence left to play, so they will stay put or move up by default, regardless of whether they deserve it.

**Marquette's only win against a ranked opponent was over #24 (at the time) DePaul. They are 0-3 against currently ranked teams (ND, MissSt, Miami).
WacoKelly83
Thanks for your research.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.