2005 National Championship team video

2,899 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dcheetah
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

What a fun run this was! Will never forget this run!

gobears20
Staff
ScottS
I went to this! So much fun!
Wichitabear
I love every win But somehow this will always be the best. What a moment in time for us as a Baylor family.
Brickyard Bear
I was there, and it was as good as it gets. The best part, other than winning, was kicking back and relaxing in Game 2 of the semis after beating LSU in Game 1. Sports tranquility is rare, but I had it that night.
longtimebear
What a wonderful moment in time. Thanks for posting.
Wineguy89
That was SO much fun to re live!! Absolutely awesome!! All my blue stars to you for posting!!!
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
whitetrash
gobears20 said:

At about the 34:12 mark (during the live broadcast of Inside Baylor Sports) I think I am the yellow hat behind PreacherBob Sloan.
drahthaar
Thanks for posting. I had forgotten how badly Blackmon and Young are the collective lunch of MSU's inside folks. Woof!
drahthaar
witchmo said:

Thanks for posting. I had forgotten how badly Blackmon and Young ate the collective lunch of MSU's inside folks. Woof!
gobears20
Staff
No problem! This was such a. Special team!
Chibears2
The electricity and excitement of the Baylor fans that Final Four could have energized a small city. We hadn't really expected to be there. Even though that team was a special team, the bracket was against us, having to go against Minnesota and North Carolina in second round. Both those teams had nationally recognized, WNBA high draft stars in Janelle McCarville and Ivory Latta, respectively. And the styles of play were totally different.

Minnesota was built around Janelle's inside physical play. They would just get her the ball and let her out physical everybody underneath. I remember her laying out one of our outside players in mid court on a viscous, but legal, screen. She stood there a second staring down at, Chelsea, I think, and I wasn't sure whether that was for intimidation purposes or because J thought she might have killed the pour soul.... (Saw McCarville at Houlihan's afterwards, which was Baylor's official bar hangout in Indy, and she was quite nice and gracious!).
The key to that match was when Coach Mulkey put in our own enforcer, Abby Wabarra. Those two had a "bit of a tussle," to understate a bit, and Abby came out on top, as did the Lady Bears!

Then they had to switch gears for North Carolina, and the vaunted Tarheels' speed. Debbie Antonelli called that game, and as she was a Carolina woman (played and graduated from NCState and called mainly ACC games), she kept praising the 'heels... "There's fast," she'd intone, "then there's... North Carolina fast." The "North Carolina fast," of course, coming out all run together as one word. Just before introductions, the camera panned over to NC in the tunnel all jumping and shuffling from foot to foot, and Debbie made some comment about "thoroughbreds" waiting to be let out of the gate. Well, the Lady Bears played their game and ran them off the court, not score-wise, but speed wise. We played their offensive game and shut down Latta (nearly had her in tears at end of game, she was so frustrated!), and, "We're going to Indy!"

But waiting for us there...LSU, with three future top WNBA draftees. Supposedly, the best big girl (Sylvia Fowles), the best point guard (Temeka Johnson) and the best overall player in Simone Augustus. And those players weren't over-rated, they legitimately earned those accolades. Hot, up and coming young coach, experienced on big stage, all kinds of confidence... a Goliath to Baylor's David. (Remember Teaff's message to the team?). Ah, well, the Finals are a story for another time.

Thanks for bringing back all the GREAT memories!!
whitetrash
Chibears2 said:

But waiting for us there...LSU, with three future top WNBA draftees. Supposedly, the best big girl (Sylvia Fowles), the best point guard (Temeka Johnson) and the best overall player in Simone Augustus. And those players weren't over-rated, they legitimately earned those accolades. Hot, up and coming young coach, experienced on big stage, all kinds of confidence, but absolutely no clue when confronted with a zone defense... a Goliath to Baylor's David. (Remember Teaff's message to the team?). Ah, well, the Finals are a story for another time.

Thanks for bringing back all the GREAT memories!!
FIFY
Chibears2
Don't dispute that. Think there might have been other coaching deficiencies, as well, like not properly respecting your opponent and looking past an opponent to the next game. That was really still Sue Gunter's team, though her illness had taken her out of the fray. I'm pretty sure Chapmen thought once we knocked out North Carolina, it was going to be smooth sailing for them through us to a final with Tennessee, which of course, lost instead to Michigan State.
mommabear508
This was a special time for parents of the team,too. Great memories of being with the families of the girls. My son was a manager and has a Nat'l Championship ring that is a treasure! And the reunion was a blast!
Bone Squad
The thing that stands out the most in my memory was the determined, no-nonsense attitude they carried with them through the tournament. The year before, Baylor had gone to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time in school history. You might remember how that game ended...it sure seemed to motivate the team for every minute on the court.

But these ladies didn't act like newcomers to success, or like it was any surprise when they won. After beating Minnesota to advance to Elite 8, a feat never before accomplished in the history of the program, they just stoically walked off the court like it was nothing.

I think at that moment, I felt it in my bones we were going to the championship game. I wanted to face Tennessee, and I suspect the team did too, although that was never to be.

This also brings back how much I loved watching Sophia play the game. We were big Houston Comets fans, and I warned my dad when they played San Antonio, "they're gonna have their hands full with Sophia." My dad casually dismissed it, sure that Tina Thompson would handle the rookie. I can't remember who won that game, but after a while, he had to admit it, "Wow. She really is good."
mimi25408
Sara Bejedi commits to me ASU over BU
Dcheetah
How much were we targeting her?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.