Kalanis Caroms

1,966 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WasheFuzzy
geewago
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There was an article in the Waco Tribune Wednesday that mentioned that Kalani needed 22 rebounds to reach the 1,000 career plateau in caroms. I'm certainly not an English major. In fact I are not educated very well. But after playing ball in HS. Watching thousands of games. Reading many an article about BB and listening to hundreds of commentators, I don't remember ever hearing that word used as a basketball term.. I thought it had to do with with a cue ball in pool striking another ball and putting it in the pocket. In fact it seems like the definition has more to do with what the pool shooter makes the ball do in bouncing off the wall and going in. But be that as it may I see that one of the synonyms of carom is rebound.

So, I didn't learn a new word today, I just learned a new way to use it. From now on I shall hereby be referring to rebounds as caroms. Whoopy whoop. You're never too old to learn.
jdrs
From your title, I was wondering if this was the name of a recruit we were interested in. Guess I too learned a new word.
GarlandBear84
I've heard rebounds called caroms all my life.
geewago
GarlandBear84 said:

Yeah, but you live in the Dallas area. I'm a country hick.
Eball
Caroms...heard it a bunch over the years...never really new how to spell it...Grabbing Carom was grabbing a missed shot...back to pool the ball caromed off the rim...did not go in the pocket but bounced around the rails.

Can't believe you all had never heard that term used before...
GarlandBear84
Every time I heard it was probably on TV. Didn't you have TV in the country?
slimecap

"NBA carom crown"
fubar
jdrs said:

From your title, I was wondering if this was the name of a recruit we were interested in. Guess I too learned a new word.
Same here ... was trying to decide if "Kalanis" was Finnish.
geewago
I've heard the word several times in life. But it was always in reference to pool. Just never heard it used in basketball. Ya'll need to sympathize with me. I have led a very sheltered life out here in the corn fields. But I can trap a coyote. Make a new born calf drink out of a bucket. Can tell you more than one reason why the chicken crossed the road. Can sharpen a knife on my boot hill, and I can raise a game rooster that will whip any thing that has feathers.
RSBear
I have also heard the term while growing up playing basketball.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Grew up in the sticks and heard it.

Garland grew up in the great land of purple Indian princesses
Chibears2
I believe carom actually started as a verb. "The car caroms around the corner," "the baseball caromed off the left field fence," etc. I always thought from context it meant to come off of or to exit at an angle. Then, pool shots or basketballs that caromed off the bumpers or backboards became "caroms." From verb to noun. May be totally off and too tired tonight to look up, but that's always what I thought. (Sort of the opposite of "calling an audible" to "The quarterback is audibilizing" .... usage creating a new word.
willtalk
geewago said:

I can raise a game rooster that will whip any thing that has feathers.
I seriously doubt that any rooster alive could whip an Ostrich, any number of Eagles, most predatory birds, or an Indian Chief. Oh and I also have heard the term in question used most of my life.
setshot
I would love to sit on the porch between willtalk and geewago and try to keep up with all the tall tales caroming around out there. That would take some doin'......
geewago
willtalk said:

geewago said:

I can raise a game rooster that will whip any thing that has feathers.
I seriously doubt that any rooster alive could whip an Ostrich, any number of Eagles, most predatory birds, or an Indian Chief. Oh and I also have heard the term in question used most of my life.
Hey buddy, a game rooster flogging an ostrich around his nappy neck is equivalent to a bumblebee getting in a cows ear. It aint no contest.

It's like Odyssey Sims guarding a Notre Dame point guard.
WasheFuzzy
GarlandBear84 said:

Me too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.