QUESTION: WHY DO THE WBB GAMES NOT BEGIN WITH AN INVOCATION?

2,521 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by historian
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have noticed this since January 3 and the UConn game: the women's basketball games do not have a prayer before the national anthem. Why not? It may have been the case last year as well (I went to games in the Spring, November, & December) but I do not remember.

There has to be someone out there with more knowledge of what goes on inside the program.
HoustonBear15
I've been to many Lady Bears game and have never heard an invocation before tipoff. It may very well be the only sport on campus who doesn't do it. Not sure why
geewago
The Oklahoma girls would probably appreciate a prayer on their behalf today.
GarlandBear84
There is definitely an invocation before the men's home games though there must be only a few D1 schools that do this.
Old300Bear
A few years back a team complained to the Big12 that the prayer made one of their players uncomfortable and we stopped. The men only started again last year, I think.
AirBear
At the WBB games, the only praying that needs to be going on is at the visitors end.

I'm just saying.
highplains

Please stop this thread before someone turns it into an anti-Mulkey thread, although most all of those are over on the premium board.
gone to Tickfaw
i attempt to pray without ceasing... but this thread made me contemplate, "is a basketball arena a place for public prayer?" hmmmm.
highplains
Here's my take on pregame prayers:

The usual prayer, greatly summarized, goes like this. "Thank you for these two schools and all they do for our young people. Let us show good sportsmanship. Protect the players from injury." We all say "Amen."

The next words out of our mouth: "Kill 'em! Kill 'em! Tear 'em apart. I hate these guys!"

Just doesn't compute.
HoustonBear15
fujobear said:

i attempt to pray without ceasing... but this thread made me contemplate, "is a basketball arena a place for public prayer?" hmmmm.
At a private, Baptist university I would say yes.
bowdedg
Prayer is done in the locker room prior to the game.
historian
fujobear said:

There is never a bad time or place to pray to God. Same is true for praising Him.
BaylorGrad&Dad
I was at the double header last Saturday, and I also noticed the prayer (men) vs no prayer (women). Another thing I noticed was the flag during the national anthemat the men's game there was a spotlight on the flag, but during the women's game, no spotlight.
ctxbear
If I had to guess, I would say it is more likely that the presence of a prayer at men's game has as much to do with Scott Drew than the absence of a prayer at the women's game has to do with Mulkey (or anyone else, for that matter.)

I guess since women's games double as the senior's ministries of most of the Waco churches, there's not as much of a need for prayer, since we are covered at their Wednesday night services.
setshot
The National Anthem and the showing of the flag at sporting events were products of World War II and the Cold War which was an extension of it.

The addition of "under God" to the pledge of allegiance to the flag was added in the early 1950s at the urging of Billy Graham among others, since we were in opposition to the Godless Communists and this was a means of displaying our closer association with the Divinity. The pledge itself has an interesting history and one not divorced from the commercial nature of our society. It was not adopted by Congress until the early 1930s.

Prayers at public sporting events have been sometimes things in much of the nation, but more common in the South, and certainly more characteristic of institutions with a strong religious connection. I suspect, without the benefit of looking it up, that like the flag and National anthem, the praying over an athletic contest was not common in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

These memorials represent culture and taste, and often a specific connection to a prevailing religious bias. As more and more people become less and less associated with that bias, the secular nature of our society will assert itself, as it has already done in some instances, and we may return to that earlier practice of seeing sport as entertainment, where prayer and patriotic displays will first be optional, then no more likely to be practiced than at other kinds of entertainment where they have never been much in evidence, if at all.

Religious institutions, competing against other religious institutions, may indeed be understood to have rituals that public institutions do not have, but when they play secular, public institutions, it could be thought that imposing that ritual in that sphere would be less appropriate.

One of the interesting, and often confusing, elements of our fast evolving culture is the practice of thinking of culture and style as moral issues, and generational conflict often revolves around this confusion. We all could think of multiple examples of this in our own lives and times, and since religion is inherently conservative, though conflicted in some aspects of this, resistance to cultural change and the evolving style which is a part of it seep into the pulpit and the pews, and that leads to inevitable generational skirmishing. We have all either experienced that ourselves or witnessed it in others.

The tendency to moralize on matters that are cultural is a natural one but is often a mistaken one, as the passing of time confirms. But religion by its institutional nature is less favorable to cultural change than the secular aspects of economic and technological movements which are ore permeable and make few claims to eternal verities, the arguments over the nature and scope of market economies aside.

This is an old theme in the history of our country and one that historians have properly taken as fertile areas of exploration over the last century of investigation.
Foreshadowed by observers from abroad, even before the notable Alexis de Tocqueville in 1831, this country has always been seen as diverse in its tastes and in its willingness to adapt itself to cultural changes both from outside our borders and from within. Resisting it is natural, but eventually accepting much of it is equally so.
FWBear91
ctxbear said:

I guess since women's games double as the senior's ministries of most of the Waco churches, there's not as much of a need for prayer, since we are covered at their Wednesday night services.

This is the post of the day! When my wife went to a game with me (she rarely goes) she said she felt like she was at the "LOLLIES" (Little Old Ladies) Sunday school class at her church! So true.
historian
setshot said:

The National Anthem and the showing of the flag at sporting events were products of World War II and the Cold War which was an extension of it.

The addition of "under God" to the pledge of allegiance to the flag was added in the early 1950s at the urging of Billy Graham among others, since we were in opposition to the Godless Communists and this was a means of displaying our closer association with the Divinity. The pledge itself has an interesting history and one not divorced from the commercial nature of our society. It was not adopted by Congress until the early 1930s.

Prayers at public sporting events have been sometimes things in much of the nation, but more common in the South, and certainly more characteristic of institutions with a strong religious connection. I suspect, without the benefit of looking it up, that like the flag and National anthem, the praying over an athletic contest was not common in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

These memorials represent culture and taste, and often a specific connection to a prevailing religious bias. As more and more people become less and less associated with that bias, the secular nature of our society will assert itself, as it has already done in some instances, and we may return to that earlier practice of seeing sport as entertainment, where prayer and patriotic displays will first be optional, then no more likely to be practiced than at other kinds of entertainment where they have never been much in evidence, if at all.

Religious institutions, competing against other religious institutions, may indeed be understood to have rituals that public institutions do not have, but when they play secular, public institutions, it could be thought that imposing that ritual in that sphere would be less appropriate.

One of the interesting, and often confusing, elements of our fast evolving culture is the practice of thinking of culture and style as moral issues, and generational conflict often revolves around this confusion. We all could think of multiple examples of this in our own lives and times, and since religion is inherently conservative, though conflicted in some aspects of this, resistance to cultural change and the evolving style which is a part of it seep into the pulpit and the pews, and that leads to inevitable generational skirmishing. We have all either experienced that ourselves or witnessed it in others.

The tendency to moralize on matters that are cultural is a natural one but is often a mistaken one, as the passing of time confirms. But religion by its institutional nature is less favorable to cultural change than the secular aspects of economic and technological movements which are ore permeable and make few claims to eternal verities, the arguments over the nature and scope of market economies aside.

This is an old theme in the history of our country and one that historians have properly taken as fertile areas of exploration over the last century of investigation.
Foreshadowed by observers from abroad, even before the notable Alexis de Tocqueville in 1831, this country has always been seen as diverse in its tastes and in its willingness to adapt itself to cultural changes both from outside our borders and from within. Resisting it is natural, but eventually accepting much of it is equally so.
But culture does have a moral element--everything does. How one behaves in a circumstance--even a game--entails moral decisions.

Baylor is a Christian university. Bible verses are inscribed all over campus (hooray!). I can think of no legitimate reason why we should not have a prayer before any game. I always look forward to them before games (football and men's basketball) and, obviously, I miss them when absent. I also like other public displays of faith such as the football players praying in the end zone after running onto the field or group prayers by the men's basketball team. These are a great testimony.

It is important to acknowledge that there are things more important than the game. Nothing is more important than God. The more we acknowledge Him, the better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.