A Complete Team

2,709 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearbone11
WasheFuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After watching this team shred OU it struck me that this is the most complete team that we have ever had. We have the best center in the game, the best power forward, the best mid-range shooter, a lock-down defender, a good three-point shooter, depth off the bench and Jackson and Landrum are combining to provide quality play at the PG position. This is the first year since BG that I truly feel that we have a shot at a NC.

I can hardly wait until March and April!!!

Like the Pointer Sisters, I'm so excited!!!
ChapBear
WasheFuzzy said:

After watching this team shred OU it struck me that this is the most complete team that we have ever had. We have the best center in the game, the best power forward, the best mid-range shooter, a lock-down defender, a good three-point shooter, depth off the bench and Jackson and Landrum are combining to provide quality play at the PG position. This is the first year since BG that I truly feel that we have a shot at a NC.

I can hardly wait until March and April!!!

Like the Pointer Sisters, I'm so excited!!!

Great post! I agree. Only the team during Griner's senior year had this much firepower. The great thing about this team is that with each passing game didi, Chloe, Juicy, Moon, Queen.& Smith keep getting better & more confident. And this team may be the best defensively ever due to Didi, cox & Brown's ability with Moon off the bench. Based on last night de Costa May in a few years be mentioned as a great defender if she wants it badly enough.
Baylor Dad in Va.
I agree. I think this years team is the most talented all round that Baylor has ever had. And the depth is the best by far. The future looks so bright right now. Just give these freshmen a year of experience, and we are going to keep on being an elite team for years to come. I can't see any team in the conference that is going to be able to challenge us for the conference title in any year soon.
And success breeds success, Kim can recruit only 5 stars now if that is what she thinks is best because every kid growing up will not have known Baylor as anything but a top school.
ChapBear
Baylor Dad in Va. said:

I agree. I think this years team is the most talented all round that Baylor has ever had. And the depth is the best by far. The future looks so bright right now. Just give these freshmen a year of experience, and we are going to keep on being an elite team for years to come. I can't see any team in the conference that is going to be able to challenge us for the conference title in any year soon.
And success breeds success, Kim can recruit only 5 stars now if that is what she thinks is best because every kid growing up will not have known Baylor as anything but a top school.
KM has turned Baylor into a desireable national destination school, however I believe that this year will determine whether or not we can continue to be considered such. We really need to get to the final four with this level of talent.
WasheFuzzy
ChapBear said:

Baylor Dad in Va. said:

KM has turned Baylor into a desireable national destination school, however I believe that this year will determine whether or not we can continue to be considered such. We really need to get to the final four with this level of talent.
I agree. If we can't get to the FF this year then KM's coaching ability will come into question for future recruits. I think that if we want to sign Andrews and Gusters we need to win a title.
Baylor Dad in Va.
Well what you say may be correct, but I am not that pessimistic.

While I fully expect that we will reach the final four this year, and very possibly win the NC, I do not think that failure to do so will doom us -- so long as we continue to schedule, play, and win against top teams like UConn, and continue to totally dominate the Big 12 conference.

Recruiting is hard to predict. If we continue to go through the regular season with only one or two losses like we have done the past few years, I think recruits are going to continue to flock to us. Particularly in the state of Texas. What other team is there on the horizon that is going to surpass us in the Big 12? Also, so long as we send one or two of our players to the pros every year, that is going to help. So, that being said we will just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I will root for my Bears. This year and forever!
setshot
The peculiar thing about basketball among the major team sports is that you only need to recruit two or three high quality players each year to build or sustain a program. Recruiting more than that, as we are finding out, does two things, it ties up scholarships and limits a program in recruitment in years that may be more promising for elite recruits, and it limits the minutes that you can give these new recruits when they arrive, bright-eyed and eager to be on the floor wearing that green and gold.

Programs get over balanced by bringing in big classes, and it can have a dampening effect on high school stars who want to go to a program where they can get on the floor. In most cases, even the best of the stars coming in are not ready for what they are facing on the Division I level. Perhaps the most celebrated recruit in recent high school ranks was Brianna Stewart, and she struggled for much of her frosh year at UCONN, before winning four national championships and three MVPs. It is not as easy as it looks but that is hard to sell to elite recruits in any sport.

I like this frosh class a lot, but to think that five or six players are going to be better for four years than other programs who are recruiting as selectively and taking advantage of the absence of your program in loaded years is not wise. Stanford, as an example, has three McDonald's AA coming in, the top player in the country and a power forward who is a YouTube dunker, plus another player who is the top three point shooter in the state and led her team to a championship, disposing of Aquira DeCosta's team and Haley Jones' team (Jones is the top ranked player in the country this year and many thought that she was last year). Stanford has locked up the top player next year, a 6'4" do everything interior player from Oregon, as well. The Cardinal will be a tough out in another year and a top team the year after. That is just one example of how recruiting can almost overnight change the collegiate basketball landscape.
Polarbear
Totally agree with your comments on the pitfalls of large recruiting classes. However, it seems to me that it was necessary for us to add 5 freshmen this year. We saw last year how dangerous it is to enter a season with only 10 players on the roster; the ideal roster size is probably around 12 to deal with potential injuries and allow playing time. Our roster was thinned out over the last three years due to injury (Alyssa Dry, Alexandria Gulley), dismissals (Justis Szczepanski, Alexis Morris) and transfers (Beatrice Mompremier, Natalie Chou). If those 6 players had remained, we would have had a more normal distribution of age on the roster. With all of them departing, even after adding Chloe we only had 7 on the roster. It may not be ideal to have 5 elite players all in the same class, but didn't we need to add that many to carry a reasonable number of reserves?
4yrletterbear
The OU game was the best display of team passing and finding the open shooter that I have ever seen from a Baylor women's team. In fact it may have equaled anything the men have ever done. The freshmen are finally figuring it out !! We have great dept and now it looking like a TEAM.
4yrletterbear
The OU game was the best display of team passing and finding the open shooter that I have ever seen from a Baylor women's team. In fact it may have equaled anything the men have ever done. The freshmen are finally figuring it out !! We have great dept and now it is looking like a TEAM.
geewago
Hey 4yrletterbear, I just want you to know I fully agree with both your posts above. Especially the second one
Eball
Am I the only one that is impressed with
Juicy's defense ? A lot of talk about DiDi and Cox and deservedly so but Juicy is right there with her defense.
UBBY
I think I read that they have the number 1 overall field goal percentage defense by about 2%, but they have the number 1, 2 point field goal percentage defense by 6%. That's insane.
DanaDane
We don't have a complete team. We have a complete starting 5; the best starting 5 in all WBB. A complete team can go deep off the bench against strong competition. We can't.......yet.
GarlandBear84
Please provide a list of complete teams in WBB this season.
bearbone11
DanaDane said:

We don't have a complete team. We have a complete starting 5; the best starting 5 in all WBB. A complete team can go deep off the bench against strong competition. We can't.......yet.
We are as deep as any team in the country. There are 7 girls I trust out there in crunchtime. In this era of transfers it is almost impossible for a team to go any deeper than that with experienced players. Should we be able to keep this class of freshmen together, we might one day be an exception to that.
R11
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.