4 Trap Games Coming up

3,351 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ScottS
ChapBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If we don't shoot well, Iowa State, West.Virginia, OSU and Texas could all surprise us in the home stretch. The Big 12 is better than people give it credit for. I have been impressed by all of the four listed above and KSU and TCU. I would love to see them all make the big dance.

Only Tech, OU and Kansas are not tournament quality.
WasheFuzzy
ISU and WVU are the only ones that worry me, but not that much. This Baylor team is head and shoulders more talented than any of our opponents.
57Bear
WasheFuzzy said:

ISU and WVU are the only ones that worry me, but not that much. This Baylor team is head and shoulders more talented than any of our opponents.
And, perhaps, a better coaching staff as well.
geewago
If Baylor wins against KU (home) and ISU (away) the Texas game will be the decider. Assuming TX wins their next two, the Waco game will be vital for them. 3 games behind with only 3 games left. Assuming Baylor beats TX in Waco, then that's when you need to watch for a trap/letdown type game. There will be a big celebration as big 12 champs etc.etc., which I've never liked since there are still games to play. Going to Morgantown for that last meaningless game (?) could be disaster. When I say meaningless I mean only in terms of Big 12 importance. It will be very meaningful if the coaches are able to convince the girls of how important it is to have a good NCAA seating. Just a few years ago we won the conference, and confetti fell and trophies came out and then we proceeded to go up to Norman and to Ames and lay 2 eggs in a row. Remember??
bearbone11
I don't think we will have any trouble from trap games down the stretch. Iowa State is the one to watch, but that isn't really a trap game because we all know how well they can play. Unless they seriously step up their defense it won't matter though.

Oklahoma State played us close in Stillwater because we played uniquely poorly and that freshman had an unprecedented day. It still wasn't enough to win, and it won't happen again. That is a game I expect to win by 20 or more in Waco.

Texas has the horses to play with us, but their execution is so poor that I don't really think they can hang with us. The score of our game in Austin does not truly show how much better we are, and I think anyone that watched the game would agree. The only thing about that game is that it comes on short rest after the game in Iowa, but I don't expect that to be much trouble. Texas will be playing on the same schedule and they have less depth than we do.

West Virginia doesn't have much depth, so all we have to do is make sure that Tynice Martin doesn't go off like she did two years ago. They did not have much luck containing us on the post.

I think all of our ladies realize that the goal here is to win a national championship. They will not let themselves get distracted by a conference championship celebration. Our winning the championship has been a foregone conclusion for weeks anyway. It is just one stop on the road to the final goal. The situation was different 4 years ago when we dropped those 2 games after clinching the conference. That was probably the weakest team during this 9 year streak of titles. It was certainly not a foregone conclusion that we would win the title, and we celebrated accordingly. That team was not realistically going to win a national title. This one has a legitimate shot, and I wouldn't expect them to get distracted by winning the conference in February.
R11
geewago
bearbone their is no doubt that this team is one that has great chemistry, good bench backup and just a whole lot more going for them at this point than several in the past few years. This is what gives us hopes that their won't be a letup along the line. Sure been a lot of upsets this year though including today. There's not an undefeated team in the nation including Baylor. At this point it appears that Oregon and Baylor are the best two in the country. But.......there is still some games to play. I'm sure ready for another NC. I'm sure all of the Lady Bear fans are too.
DanaDane
No chance in losing to any of the 4.
setshot
bearbone, that is a persuasive summary. An upset is always a possibility, however unlikely it may be. A team that gets hot and stays hot long enough can put this team in a very stressful situation, particularly away from home, as we discovered out at Stanford.

The Cardinal are very talented (soon to be adding three McDonald's All Americans, including the top player in the country, and another who is a legitimate dunker at 6'4"), and very good at home. Their crushing loss to Oregon has tarnished them a bit, but they are a worthy opponent, and their Australian player, 6'5" Alanna Smith, is as good as anyone in the country.

We have an elite defensive team, anchored by Lauren Cox inside and Didi Richards wherever she is needed, so I do not anticipate anyone running up as large a margin against us as Stanford did, one that enabled them to withstand a valiant fourth quarter rally, led by NaLyssa and Chloe.

Offensively, it appears that Ursin off the bench is a force, now. Chloe Jackson is shooting the ball now as well as I expected her to do throughout the season, and Landrum is able to score as needed. Our two post players have capable backups, so they can stay fresh for late game situations. Outstanding defense and strong rebounding and interior play are keys to consistency when the shots from out on the floor are not dropping, but to win really big we will need the outside shooters to step up, and this they failed to do against Stanford. We only hit two shots in the second quarter out there.

bearbone, you have made your case and it is a good one. I think that we beat Texas handily in Waco, before a good crowd and with the scent of the post season already in the air. When you are #1 you really should not need artificial stimulation to be ready for big games, because you know that everyone is going to give you their best shot and you should want and expect no less. You have a lot to play for when every team is trying to knock you off that high perch.
ScottS
I'm not worried about the 4
geewago
And next up is Kansas who, thanks to TT is now the bottom feeder with OU. A win Wednesday and BU will have a 4 game lead with 4 games left. I think it's rather obvious who the 2019 Big 12 champ will be.
GoldenBear
geewago said:

If Baylor wins against KU (home) and ISU (away) the Texas game will be the decider. Assuming TX wins their next two, the Waco game will be vital for them. 3 games behind with only 3 games left. Assuming Baylor beats TX in Waco, then that's when you need to watch for a trap/letdown type game. There will be a big celebration as big 12 champs etc.etc., which I've never liked since there are still games to play. Going to Morgantown for that last meaningless game (?) could be disaster. When I say meaningless I mean only in terms of Big 12 importance. It will be very meaningful if the coaches are able to convince the girls of how important it is to have a good NCAA seating. Just a few years ago we won the conference, and confetti fell and trophies came out and then we proceeded to go up to Norman and to Ames and lay 2 eggs in a row. Remember??
Not correct. If Baylor defeats KU & ISU, they clinch the championship with a four game lead with three to play. ..
ScottS
We have lapped the field.
GoldenBear
GoldenBear said:

geewago said:

Not correct. If Baylor defeats KU & ISU, they clinch the championship with a four game lead with three to play. ..
Moreover, If the Lady Bears take care of business, ISU, WV & UT will end up with at least five (5) losses each. So this could put the finishing touches on a very dominant Big XII 2018-19 championship season for our Lady Bears..
Eball
Well...let me as a fan look ahead a bit...we will handle KU tomorrow and OSU both at home and neither one talented enough to beat us...I also think it is highly unlikely UT beats us at home...so that leaves two road games against ISU and WVU..,those two worry me...road games good teams and great coaches...we will have clinched B 12 by then really nothing to play for other than keeping a #1 seed which we will still get even if we drop one more game.

Those two games will really show us something about this team's mind set but even if we have a misstep against one or the other I don't think we should have whole sale panic either...win or lose they will prepare us for the NCAA's . It is a very competitive year overall in the women's game!
GoldenBear
Eball said:

Well...let me as a fan look ahead a bit...we will handle KU tomorrow and OSU both at home and neither one talented enough to beat us...I also think it is highly unlikely UT beats us at home...so that leaves two road games against ISU and WVU..,those two worry me...road games good teams and great coaches...we will have clinched B 12 by then really nothing to play for other than keeping a #1 seed which we will still get even if we drop one more game.

Those two games will really show us something about this team's mind set but even if we have a misstep against one or the other I don't think we should have whole sale panic either...win or lose they will prepare us for the NCAA's . It is a very competitive year overall in the women's game!
Nothing to play for? The game of basketball is played because it should be all about winning EVERY game. Not being highly competitive does not go well in this game.

Accordingly, ALL games are "trap games" unless we compete at an accelerated level of play.
Eball
GoldenBear said:

Eball said:

Nothing to play for? The game of basketball is played because it should be all about winning EVERY game. Not being highly competitive does not go well in this game.

Accordingly, ALL games are "trap games" unless we compete at an accelerated level of play.
I certainly agree...but that is one of the challenges to keep kids focused game to game....it is not easy and circumstances of the individual games can make it even more challenging...did not mean to offend anyone with the nothing comment. There is always something to play for that is why we compete.
greggor25
We will win the rest and run the table in Big 12 tournament.
EatMoreSalmon
Trap, schmap!
ScottS
Those other Big12 teams we play will be in the trap
ScottS
Those other Big12 teams we play will be in the trap
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.