Kim Mulkey winning percentage

5,798 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bubbadog
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Over the last 8 years (not including this year) she has a winning percentage of 95% in Big 12 play and overall winning percentage of 93%.
MrGolfguy
Sounds like she deserves to have a tiny fieldhouse named in her honor
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
whitetrash
Unfortunately, over the past 7 seasons (since the undefeated 2012 season), our record against the Pac12 is 5-5, and against UConn/Notre Dame is 3-4. We are 231-11 against everyone else.
Baylor Dad in Va.
whitetrash said:

Unfortunately, over the past 7 seasons (since the undefeated 2012 season), our record against the Pac12 is 5-5, and against UConn/Notre Dame is 3-4. We are 231-11 against everyone else.
Well there is a saying in the stock market that I heed -- "Past performance is not indicative of future results"
I prefer to believe that we are an elite team that had a bit of bad luck in the past. This team is different. It is the most complete team we have had in a long while. The future may now be very different than the past.

I never give up hope. This year we will be the National Champions.
ScottS
I wonder what BaylorDan thinks about all this?
Eball
whitetrash said:

We cannot win every single game...over 7 seasons...not sure your point?

ND and UCONN pretty salty programs...
Bone Squad
I suspect that if you reviewed the records of the other 5-8 elite teams over that time frame, most of their records would be comparable. I would venture to say that UConn's records would be in a class of their own, and that Baylor and the rest would look about the same as each other, and that everyone else in the country would fall obviously below that group.

The criticism is well-taken, but if it amounts to, "we haven't been as good as UConn," then I can live with that.
Old300Bear
I think a case could be made that Kim is just now hitting her stride. Recruiting is just now coming in at the UConn/ND level on a consistent basis. Yes we have had outstanding classes but they were somewhat sporadic. Texas had more Mc Donald's All Americans than we did up until last year.

I think it would be informative to look at Geno's and Muffet's records in their 19th year and see how they compare to Kim.
UBBY
Over the first 19 years of Muffett McGraw's tenure at Notre Dame she had a winning percentage of 81% in conference play and overall winning percentage of 72%. She had 1 national championship.

Over the first 19 years of Geno Auriemma's tenure at UCONN he had a winning percentage of 84% in conference play and overall winning percentage of 84%. Geno had 5 national championships.

Over the first 19 years of Kim Mulkeys tenure at Baylor she has a winning percentage of 81% in conference play and overall winning percentage of 85%. She has 2 national championships. (This season has not been completed).

I'm leaving Pat Summitt off of this list because she was at Tennessee before the women's championship was created in 1981.
UBBY
Updated:

Over the first 19 years of Muffett McGraw's tenure at Notre Dame she had a winning percentage of 81% in conference play and overall winning percentage of 72%. She had 1 national championship.

Over the first 19 years of Geno Auriemma's tenure at UCONN he had a winning percentage of 84% in conference play and overall winning percentage of 84%. Geno had 5 national championships.

Over the first 19 years of Kim Mulkeys tenure at Baylor she has a winning percentage of 81% in conference play and overall winning percentage of 85%. She has 3 national championships.

I'm leaving Pat Summitt off of this list because she was at Tennessee before the women's championship was created in 1981.
CNC
I read an article recently (but forgot which one) that Baylor was the first team in a while to beat ND and Uconn in the same season. The last time? 2012-2013 (?, give or take a year) also by Baylor.

bubbadog
I think we would benefit in March and April from having more conference teams who are capable of beating us.

Besides playing six ranked teams in their non-conference schedule (UConn, Oregon State, Gonzaga, Marquette, Iowa and DePaul), Notre Dame had to play Louisville twice, Miami, plus 3 other teams that were ranked at the time. They had 2 conference losses -- one to Miami and an upset at UNC when Jackie Young didn't play.

After our equally strong non-conference schedule, we only played two games in the Big XII against ranked teams (both against Texas). Iowa State gave us a good test, and West Virginia always gives us their A+ game in Morgantown, but we didn't have to play anybody in our conference this year as good as Louisville or Miami.

We were good enough this year that we beat every other team in the Final Four when we had the opportunity to play them. But as a general rule, I wouldn't mind taking a couple of additional losses during the conference season if they come against really good opponents who make us better in March for having played them.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
bubbadog
Bone Squad said:

I suspect that if you reviewed the records of the other 5-8 elite teams over that time frame, most of their records would be comparable. I would venture to say that UConn's records would be in a class of their own, and that Baylor and the rest would look about the same as each other, and that everyone else in the country would fall obviously below that group.

The criticism is well-taken, but if it amounts to, "we haven't been as good as UConn," then I can live with that.
I can't help but think it has hurt UConn that ND left their conference and went to the ACC with Louisville. Geno plays as tough a non-conference schedule as anyone. But only two teams in their league played within 20 points of them.

Given the weakness of their conference, Geno is very smart to spread out some of their tough non conference opponents so they're mixed in with the league schedule. For example, they went on the road to Louisville in late January (lost) and hosted South Carolina in February (won).
Texasjeremy
Bone Squad said:

PAST 8 SEASONS

WIN%
.951 - Connecticut (291-15)
.933 - Baylor (278-20)
.924 - Notre Dame (279-23)
.846 - Maryland (237-43)
.831 - Stanford (241-49)
.825 - South Carolina (231-49)
.808 - Louisville (235-56)
.743 - Mississippi State (208-72)
.724 - Tennessee (199-76)
.721 - Oregon State (196-76)

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS
8 - Baylor, Notre Dame
6 - Connecticut
4 - Maryland, South Carolina
3 - Oregon State, Stanford
2 - Louisville, Mississippi State, Tennessee

SWEET 16
8 - Baylor, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Stanford
7 - South Carolina
6 - Louisville
5 - Maryland, Tennessee
4 - Mississippi State, Oregon State

ELITE 8
8 - Connecticut
7 - Notre Dame
6 - Baylor
5 - Stanford
4 - Tennessee
3 - Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi State, South Carolina
2 - Oregon State

FINAL FOUR
8 - Connecticut
6 - Notre Dame
3 - Stanford
2 - Baylor, Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi State, South Carolina
1 - Oregon State
0 - Tennessee

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
4 - Connecticut
2 - Baylor
1 - Notre Dame, South Carolina
0 - Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi State, Oregon State, Stanford, Tennessee
Eball
I think we have a pretty salty argument that over the last year, we have the best WBB program in the Nation!
UBBY
whitetrash said:

Baylor is now 4-4 against UConn/Notre Dame and 7-5 against the Pac 12.
UBBY
Over the last 9 years here are the number of wins/losses and titles of Muffett, Kim and Geno

310 - 31 - 1 title

312 - 23 - 2 titles

327 - 17 - 4 titles
Pecos 45
whitetrash said:

Uh, who let Debbie Downer on this site?
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
CNC
UBBY said:

Over the last 9 years here are the number of wins/losses and titles of Muffett, Kim and Geno

310 - 31 - 1 title

312 - 23 - 2 titles

327 - 17 - 4 titles

Not to be another debbie downer, but what if....Louisville didn't shoot lights out that night vs Griner-led Bears. It would be Geno & Kim at 3 titles and Muffett with 1.

Texasjeremy
WINS SINCE MULKEY HAS BEEN AT BAYLOR

BIG 12
576 - Baylor
436 - Oklahoma
421 - Texas
400 - West Virginia
393 - Iowa State
386 - Kansas State
382 - TCU
337 - Texas Tech
328 - Oklahoma State
260 - Kansas

ACC
547 - Notre Dame
532 - Duke
470 - Louisville
462 - North Carolina
423 - Florida State
373 - NC State
361 - Miami
359 - Georgia Tech
356 - Syracuse
348 - Virginia
324 - Virginia Tech
310 - Boston College
271 - Wake Forest
265 - Pittsburgh
232 - Clemson

BIG TEN
488 - Maryland
450 - Ohio State
432 - Purdue
414 - Michigan State
399 - Rutgers
396 - Iowa
369 - Minnesota
352 - Penn State
346 - Nebraska
327 - Michigan
311 - Indiana
259 - Illinois
252 - Wisconsin
229 - Northwestern

PAC 12
569 - Stanford
419 - Arizona State
386 - Utah
368 - California
361 - UCLA
343 - Oregon State
334 - Washington
332 - Oregon
327 - Southern Cal
315 - Colorado
275 - Arizona
179 - Washington State

SEC
542 - Tennessee
425 - Georgia
425 - LSU
419 - Texas A&M
401 - South Carolina
396 - Mississippi State
392 - Vanderbilt
378 - Kentucky
347 - Auburn
336 - Arkansas
325 - Missouri
323 - Florida
275 - Mississippi
270 - Alabama

OTHER
671 - Connecticut
bubbadog
Second in wins only to UConn during her tenure.

Not bad.
Porteroso
bubbadog said:

I think we would benefit in March and April from having more conference teams who are capable of beating us.

Besides playing six ranked teams in their non-conference schedule (UConn, Oregon State, Gonzaga, Marquette, Iowa and DePaul), Notre Dame had to play Louisville twice, Miami, plus 3 other teams that were ranked at the time. They had 2 conference losses -- one to Miami and an upset at UNC when Jackie Young didn't play.

After our equally strong non-conference schedule, we only played two games in the Big XII against ranked teams (both against Texas). Iowa State gave us a good test, and West Virginia always gives us their A+ game in Morgantown, but we didn't have to play anybody in our conference this year as good as Louisville or Miami.

We were good enough this year that we beat every other team in the Final Four when we had the opportunity to play them. But as a general rule, I wouldn't mind taking a couple of additional losses during the conference season if they come against really good opponents who make us better in March for having played them.

While I agree, conference games are the 1 thing km cannot control, unless she wants to start doing some side recruiting for other schools. I actually wonder how that would work, if every big 12 team listed her and paid her as a recruiting assistant.

Edit: also, I bet both uconn and ND had better winning percentages than Baylor when geno and muffett started their runs.
bubbadog
Porteroso said:

bubbadog said:

While I agree, conference games are the 1 thing km cannot control, unless she wants to start doing some side recruiting for other schools. I actually wonder how that would work, if every big 12 team listed her and paid her as a recruiting assistant.

Edit: also, I bet both uconn and ND had better winning percentages than Baylor when geno and muffett started their runs.
I agree there isn't much she can do. UConn schedules some tough nonconference opponents in January and February to give their team some tougher tests than their conference schedule can provide, but that might not be as practicable for us.

Conference strength is often cyclical. For example, even with the addition of ND, the ACC isn't all that great because Duke and UNC have fallen. The PAC-12 used to be Stanford and the rest, but now with Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA and Cal, that league has become a gauntlet.

The Big XII is in a bit of a down cycle right now. Oklahoma will be back. West Virginia has a great coach snd will have 3 of their top 4 scorers back next year. Tech won't stay down forever, and Texas will eventually figure out they need a new coach.
EvilTroyAndAbed
CNC said:

UBBY said:

310 - 31 - 1 title

312 - 23 - 2 titles

327 - 17 - 4 titles

Not to be another debbie downer, but what if....Louisville didn't shoot lights out that night vs Griner-led Bears. It would be Geno & Kim at 3 titles and Muffett with 1.

We would have had to beat UConn in the Finals. That was certainly no gimme.
Saddle Up!
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

CNC said:

UBBY said:

310 - 31 - 1 title

312 - 23 - 2 titles

327 - 17 - 4 titles

Absolutely true, but I liked our chances, and it would've been a great game.
McCavebear
bubbadog said:

Second in wins only to UConn during her tenure.

Not bad.
Mulkey is AMAZING!

Sic 'em Lady Bears! So proud of their achievements!
McCavebear Lives!
CNC
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

CNC said:

UBBY said:

310 - 31 - 1 title

312 - 23 - 2 titles

327 - 17 - 4 titles

I agree with you. But the only way that BU team was going to lose would be some team hitting 17 or so 3 pointers. It would have been a great game. Those last 2 Griner teams seem just unstoppable.

The real reason we lost? I jinxed the team by pre-booking my trip to NOLA for the Final Four that year.
highplains
Saddle Up! said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

CNC said:

UBBY said:

310 - 31 - 1 title

312 - 23 - 2 titles

327 - 17 - 4 titles

Absolutely true, but I liked our chances, and it would've been a great game.

We had already beaten UConn on the road earlier in that season.
historian
UBBY said:

Over the first 19 years of Kim Mulkeys tenure at Baylor she has a winning percentage of 81% in conference play and overall winning percentage of 85%. She has 2 national championships. (This season has not been completed).

McGraw has 2 national titles: 2001 & 2018. This is from the NCAA web site:

https://www.ncaa.com/history/basketball-women/d1

Quote:

Well there is a saying in the stock market that I heed -- "Past performance is not indicative of future results"
I prefer to believe that we are an elite team that had a bit of bad luck in the past. This team is different. It is the most complete team we have had in a long while. The future may now be very different than the past.

I never give up hope. This year we will be the National Champions.
Glad to see you proven correct!
UBBY
UBBY
This is over the first 19 years of their tenure. She had 1 championship.
historian
Apologies. I did overlook the word "first."

Mulkey is clearly more accomplished with 3 national titles in her first (& only) 19 years. I like the fact that the Lady Bears have already stated that they plan to be back next year. I think Mulkey said something similar but was more guarded about the timing.
EasyE
Her record isn't so hot when it comes to hockey. She wished the Tampa Bay Lightning well on their quest for the Stanley Cup. They ended up being the 1st team in history to be swept in the 1st round after having the best record during the regular season. Ouch.
bubbadog
EasyE said:

Her record isn't so hot when it comes to hockey. She wished the Tampa Bay Lightning well on their quest for the Stanley Cup. They ended up being the 1st team in history to be swept in the 1st round after having the best record during the regular season. Ouch.
Mulkey wasn't coaching that team!
historian
bubbadog said:

EasyE said:

Mulkey wasn't coaching that team!
Also, she was thanking them for allowing her coaching staff to use their offices while in Tampa.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.