what did kim mean?

22,085 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by possible12
oldbear69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
when she said "it was brought to my attention today, i may not coach another game??...what happened today?
ABC BEAR
I came here with the same question.
whitetrash
Brought to her attention that we have played in 13 of 19 tournament finals since she arrived.

She has said the "i May never coach another game so enjoy this moment" line several times in the past.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
She was just saying, you never know what the future holds.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
whitetrash said:

Brought to her attention that we have played in 13 of 19 tournament finals since she arrived.
and that.
Wichitabear
I just froze when she was giving her speech. I don't know. I think she was just emotionl. I hope
PartyBear
Not sure.she kept reiterating her record as well. I think her thought was broken and it didn't mean to come out the way it sounded. Like what Whitetrash said. I hope that is all it is.
RainyDaze
I thought she said it was brought to her attention she has been here 19 years and this was her 13th championship game - my heart stopped when she said she didn't know if she would coach another game or how much longer she would coach. It seemed like you could've heard a pin drop in the arena when she said that
Wichitabear
Ok Heart attack.
whitetrash
IIRC, she had a lot of respect for Kurt Budke at OkSt. So you never really know.
Chibears2
I think that was a hesitation. I think it was more like "I may never coach another game..." and then she backed up and said it was "brought to my attention...". Hopefully, nothing wrong. But she was really emotional. Maybe we should all really cherish this run...
BU82EX
Like many of you, it scared the $+it out of me, but in the context of the entire talk I agree with Brian, she was referring to the uncertainty of all our futures and was driving home the point that we should not take this for granted, but should cherish it as though it were our first one or our last one.

In MULKEY we trust!!!
Jeremy
I think there was a hint of retirement in there. Lots of emotion. May be year or two years. Also seemed to push the fact Baylor doesn't realize all they have accomplished. Wondering if there was a message in that statement.
Wichitabear
Yes it was. I think our fans thought she was announcing her retirement. I don't even want to think about that day
PartyBear
It is bothersome because she was silent and emotional for an uncomfortable amount of time in her immediate post game interview and said something like I don't think Baylor realizes what this program has accomplished.
Bearly
The team was enjoying the championship. For some reason, Kim wasn't.
GrizBear
Jeremy said:

I think there was a hint of retirement in there. Lots of emotion. May be year or two years. Also seemed to push the fact Baylor doesn't realize all they have accomplished. Wondering if there was a message in that statement.
IMO, there was no more message there than when she said "hit 'em right in the face" during the 500 win celebration. She has no future in public speaking but sure as hell can coach.
RainyDaze
I can't even bear to think about her retiring. Her first grand baby may have her thinking about it.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Bearly said:

The team was enjoying the championship. For some reason, Kim wasn't.

She was this emotional on the Big 12 regular season title as well.
rubles123
Didn't she also mention that she wasn't sure if Baylor recognized the accomplishments of Baylor WBB? That preempted the comment of whether she would coach another game. It was like a shot across the bow.

I don't post much, but I paid attention. And great win for the Bears. Sic 'em!
bearbone11
Just a few moments before that she was talking about how proud she was of the freshmen waiting their turn and how well everyone came together. We have the talent on the roster to win multiple championships over the next 3-4 years, and I don't see her leaving while we are are a legit national contender.

This isn't the first time she been a little raw in the interview after a big win, so I wouldn't read into it too much.
R11
BaylorTaxman
My lord. She was definitely enjoying the moment. She was overcome with emotion. She has said many times how close she is to this specific group of players.
GrizBear
Lots of overreacting going on here ... At halftime she said to Stacey Dales "isn't this fun?"

She's intense and emotional ... that's about it.
pilgrim
Kim has had a different perspective since the loss of her first grandchild. She had a very different approach at the outset of this season, and it was not just the slow recovery from surgery. She was more relaxed and had a very agnostic perspective about this team after the loss of Morris.

We need to remember that Kim is getting a bit older, and her perspective is really changing with grandchildren coming into the picture. She also has a heart, and this team collectively has experienced some loss. I would not be surprise if the losses of Didi's grandfather and Moon's grandfather did not hit her hard as well. She loves Moon like her own child, and it is quite possible that Kim feels some vicarious grief.

I personally think it has hit Kim that she may not coach that many more years. Due to who she is and the way she coaches these seasons have to wear on her. And with crowds growing a bit smaller, and the large percentage of senior adults does not bode well for what the crowds will look like in 5 years. I have to wonder at times, along with Kim, "Where's the appreciation?"

I think Kim will coach a few more years, and probably at Baylor. She is very loyal,and she knows she is loved and supported at Baylor. Having said that I would not be surprised to see Kim take a respite from coaching in the next few years. I hope not.

Baylor administration and regents had better pay attention to her comments tonight.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
rubles123 said:

Didn't she also mention that she wasn't sure if Baylor recognized the accomplishments of Baylor WBB? That preempted the comment of whether she would coach another game. It was like a shot across the bow.

The video is posted and after watching it again, she's talking about others, then says she's not sure about Baylor knowing either. She didn't even know.
ctxbear
She may have just earned about a half-million extra a year with those comments. I'm sure the senior citizens in the crowd were reaching for their checkbooks as she was talking.

In all seriousness, it would be hard to see her retiring until after this Freshman class are seniors. But she'll be 60 when that happens, and it'd be pretty easy to see her retire after that. I just hope she's working with the administration for a transition plan, regardless of if its now, four or ten years down the road.
Jack Bauer
pilgrim said:

Kim has had a different perspective since the loss of her first grandchild. She had a very different approach at the outset of this season, and it was not just the slow recovery from surgery. She was more relaxed and had a very agnostic perspective about this team after the loss of Morris.

We need to remember that Kim is getting a bit older, and her perspective is really changing with grandchildren coming into the picture. She also has a heart, and this team collectively has experienced some loss. I would not be surprise if the losses of Didi's grandfather and Moon's grandfather did not hit her hard as well. She loves Moon like her own child, and it is quite possible that Kim feels some vicarious grief.

I personally think it has hit Kim that she may not coach that many more years. Due to who she is and the way she coaches these seasons have to wear on her. And with crowds growing a bit smaller, and the large percentage of senior adults does not bode well for what the crowds will look like in 5 years. I have to wonder at times, along with Kim, "Where's the appreciation?"

I think Kim will coach a few more years, and probably at Baylor. She is very loyal,and she knows she is loved and supported at Baylor. Having said that I would not be surprised to see Kim take a respite from coaching in the next few years. I hope not.

Baylor administration and regents had better pay attention to her comments tonight.

She's been here 19 years, the Big12 titles are now defaulted to Baylor. 2 national titles, always a top 5 team during the season. #1 recruiting class, and on and on.

A 3rd title would be great but really what else does she need to do here. All good things come to an end, just enjoy and appreciate this now.

gone to Tickfaw
Kim was just paraphrasing scripture. Worry about - or enjoy today - be in the moment. Let tomorrow take care of itself. No one by worrying can add a cubit. Our days are ordained.
Lion82
Kim's style does not fit into Rhodes' vision of what a Baylor coach should be and Rhodes is out of his depth trying to manage her elite program. She wins too much and too big and it shows our fans what true excellence looks like.

WNIT in '23
StatMan
oldbear69 said:

when she said "it was brought to my attention today, i may not coach another game??...what happened today?
It doesn't mean Kim Mulkey will retire, especially if the Baylor Lady Bears win their 3rd national championship.
Edmond Bear
rubles123 said:

In the same speech, she talked about how large the Baylor crowds are and that we always outnumber the opposing fans. She has to feel appreciated by that.
LadyChickBear
bearbone11 said:

Just a few moments before that she was talking about how proud she was of the freshmen waiting their turn and how well everyone came together. We have the talent on the roster to win multiple championships over the next 3-4 years, and I don't see her leaving while we are are a legit national contender.

This isn't the first time she been a little raw in the interview after a big win, so I wouldn't read into it too much.
I am with Bearbone. It stopped me cold for a minute, but I just don't think she would leave these Freshmen without something big and Kim isn't much of a hinter...beat around the bush type...more this is it...like it or leave it!! Also, it has not been a year since she had surgery; and sometimes that makes you more emotional plus all in a little less than 2 years she has lost a grand baby and was holding the miracle of the 2nd. And...Kalani is special to her and this was the last one. Enough to make this old Grandma a little thoughtful and emotional ... and maybe Kim has more of that than we realize.

Now, I will shut up because I am not a mind reader nor do I have a degree in psychology....just thinking out loud!!

BUT we are blessed to have that woman!!!
LadyChickBear
pilgrim said:

I should have posted after I read Pilgrim's. Just ignore my babel!!
mlb60
Lion82 said:

Kim's style does not fit into Rhodes' vision of what a Baylor coach should be and Rhodes is out of his depth trying to manage her elite program. She wins too much and too big and it shows our fans what true excellence looks like.

Watching her coach and develop players is inspirational. It makes me a little sad to know that after she retires I will probably never see another coach at Baylor in any sport who will accomplish what she has. Kinda like watching the last few years of Mariano Rivera pitching and knowing it was unlikely that I would ever again see a better closer.

And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
Saddle Up!
Lion82 said:

Not sure what the purpose of your comments about Rhodes would be, or why you chose to include them in this thread, but I took note of a moment in the post game celebration when the camera caught Kalani going up to Rhodes and giving him what appeared to be a genuinely heart felt hug. I was struck by the warmth of the moment, and the fact that it appears she not only knows who he is, but has a good relationship with him, which made this moment seem very natural.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.