what did kim mean?

22,079 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by possible12
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Saddle Up! said:

Lion82 said:

Kim's style does not fit into Rhodes' vision of what a Baylor coach should be and Rhodes is out of his depth trying to manage her elite program. She wins too much and too big and it shows our fans what true excellence looks like.

Not sure what the purpose of your comments about Rhodes would be, or why you chose to include them in this thread, but I took note of a moment in the post game celebration when the camera caught Kalani going up to Rhodes and giving him what appeared to be a genuinely heart felt hug. I was struck by the warmth of the moment, and the fact that it appears she not only knows who he is, but has a good relationship with him, which made this moment seem very natural.

Agreed. If you know Mack or have met him, he is hands on and a part of the process with helping the kids. They know him.
Old300Bear
Don't think Mack is a fan of Mulkey and has not bothered to hide that fact from her. She is very well paid but I think loyalty and appreciation mean as much or more to her than the money. I could see her retiring or going to Tennessee after this year, especially if she wins another natty.
Mitch Henessey
The second she said that post game, I KNEW that there would be much consternation and clutching of pearls on this board. You guys never disappoint.
Jack Bauer
Karen Aston would do a cartwheel on top of the UT tower if Kim retired.
drahthaar
Old300Bear said:

Don't think Mack is a fan of Mulkey and has not bothered to hide that fact from her. She is very well paid but I think loyalty and appreciation mean as much or more to her than the money. I could see her retiring or going to Tennessee after this year, especially if she wins another natty.

Mack doesn't need to be a fan. He needs to keep her happy, satisfied within reason and working.

Kim leaving for another school isn't on a radar anywhere. See the recruiting class on campus and the players she is recruiting to augment that class. She struck gold with Chloe....unexpected great gain!

Biggest thing I took from this: you freaking press quit interviewing coaches and players immediately after a game. Too much emotion with too little filtering of thoughts about what occurred and what it all means.
blackie
Not surprised to see this thread. I was going to start one if it wasn't present. I saw last night as different comments from what Kim has said in the past. First off, in both interviews (first with Dales only for TV, and then with Brenda for the arena) when Kim was asked the question of what this meant, her pause in answering was prolonged and deafening. You could see she was about to cry in coming up with an answer. Now, this could be just from the emotion of the moment, but she has been emotional in the past before and we (at least I) have not seen the hesitancy to answer and the quivering in her speech in beginning the answer. This just seemed different.

Reasons could be anything as have been proposed in this thread. It could be a lurking medical situation that she has not made public. It could be the emotion of her loss (first grandchild), the emotion of team members' losses, or because of things she has knowledge of concerning friends or family. Or, it could be just us misreading. It just seems to me it is not the usual we have seen or heard in the past, even though some of the words have been the same. She did say that Baylor appreciated WBB, so it likely is not something coming from the administration (if there is anything to last night's interviews at all). However, if we find anything coming from Pat Neff that is causing her grief, my support of Baylor will cease in its entirety at that point. I'm tired of these people treating Baylor as their personal toy causing pain for everyone else that has no control over the situation (us, for example).

Regardless of what meaning, if any at all, last night's comments play out in the near future, one thing she said is undeniably true. Don't take this success for granted. Many people took the football success for granted. The football board had Baylor winning multiple championships for as far as the eye could see and nothing would change it. That balloon popped at the drop of a pin.

At some point Baylor will have to hire someone else to be the head coach of the women's basketball program. That is a fact of life. Whether Baylor remains an elite program will depend on that hire. There are not even a handful of today's elite WBB programs, IMO, that will not take a serious hit on the retirement of their present coach, and that includes UConn. Whether the hit is just temporary or long-lasting will depend on the hire. But for just a few schools it will be a prove-it mentality to recruits for at least 2 or 3 years and during that time there is going to be a drop-off.

WBB recruits are coming to most of these elite programs because of the coach, not the school. The only two elite WBB schools that I can think of right now where the school's reputation, academics or status might be enough to avoid a drop-off is Stanford and Notre Dame. I'd throw Tennessee into that group, if not for what they have already done to themselves. A "name" coach might be able to resurrect it, if done quickly, but they have fallen way off. If Geno is not in Storrs, who really wants to go to school at UConn with an unproven coach, at least for their standards? And for as most of us having long ties to Baylor and believe in its heritage, we are winning WBB championships because of Kim Mulkey, not because of the name on the jersey. Georgia was great for years. Landers retired and Georgia is a bottom feeder in the SEC. That is only one example there are many more (Duke, North Carolina, and Texas and TT in our conference).

So, instead of complaining about all the FFs of which we have fallen short, celebrate in what we have done and where we are. My hope is that when Kim hangs it up, she (assuming she wants to) picks her replacement because I trust her to know who has the best chance to follow up her success. And that the school doesn't try to penny pinch like UT did with Aston. We will have one chance to get this right when the time comes. We should expect an initial fall-off. But if that hire is wrong, we may never get back.

Sorry for the length. It is just sad to even think about the day CKM is not on that sideline whether it is next year, 5 years, or 10 years. It just seemed to me that last night was different.

Pecos 45
I believe she was simply reminding Baylor fans of just how bad our women's program was before she got here, and how many may be taking Big 12 championships for granted.

Don't ever take it, or this woman, for granted.
Because we are going to really miss her when she is gone......someday.
Eball
Wow just wow... talk about freaking out...some of you are completely off the deep end here. She is 56 not 86...that surgery was successful and she is feeling better than ever. Her comments were made after a hard fought game and a grind to go undefeated in B-12 and double up as league and tournament champion...oh yeah it also secures us as the #1 seed going into NCAA. (kind of a big deal this year especially) You have a pretty well defined top 6 programs this year, so drawing a team just out of that group of 6 as your #2 seed is likely to be a little easier task when it comes to making a final four.

While we are very good this year with as good if not the best shot to win it all we are not a perfect team. See our loss to Stanford and several close encounters, with ASU, WVU, OSU and South Dakota State they all gave us some scares...

We have some big advantages going into every game... Brown and Cox but even they are human susceptible to sickness, injury and fouls trouble...heck even bad games occasionally...

Our bench while very talented is young and freshman dominated. We lost our stud point guard before the season started and had to convert a shooting guard transfer to the starting point guard on the fly right before the season got underway. Our backup point guard is also a shooting guard by position as well.

The results of this team have been fricking remarkable...but it is this way every single year...we continue to show excellence and win despite adversity in a lot of situations. We do not have a cake walk....it will be tough but I believe this team is rather unique and up to the challenge.

We should quit reading anything into what KIM says in an emotional moment...I would be more concerned about her going to Tennessee as opposed to her retiring in the short term. Not that I am overly concerned with either. Enjoy the games and the ride it looks like a good one everything else will work it's way out with or without our concern and worry.
ETBU
Here was my take: There was a part of CKM's half-time interview, and part of the "after the game" interview where I thought she was doing some great recruiting. The part about if you come to Baylor she will be coach you, and the part where "she sends Kalani out of the game when she does bad"- which shows the team that it is a team effort and not a single person or two.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Old300Bear said:

She's never going anywhere else. I guarantee it. I don't have many inside sources, but I do have one with Mulk. She will never coach at another major university, but she will retire before we think she should.
Old300Bear
I could see Tennessee coming after her hard. Doesn't mean she would go, but you never know when people start talking. I know she loves Baylor University, she loves her fans, she loves her staff and her players. Would be hard to leave that for a different school. Easier to just step down.
Jeremy
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Old300Bear said:

She's never going anywhere else. I guarantee it. I don't have many inside sources, but I do have one with Mulk. She will never coach at another major university, but she will retire before we think she should.
My wife who doesnt watch any basketball at all was sitting next to me when Kim began the first interview and took the very long pause. My wife turned to me and said that grand baby will be the reason she retires and it will be sooner rather than later. I told her she was wrong and didnt know. After listening and watching her do both interviews I was wavering on what I believed. The point is women know and understand these things way better than guys.

Kim has been coaching in some capacity since 1985. I have only been alive 5 years longer than she has been coaching. That is crazy to me.

For all those saying she is only 56 you have to remember how long she has been working. You would want to retire after 30-40 years of work wouldnt you? We act like she should coach until she physically cant anymore and that may come from our own pure selfishness. Whether it is next year or 3-5 years it wont surprise me.
Wichitabear
Yep. I thought that was a little uncalled for. Mack seems to care a great deal about our programs. Kids give you the answer there. Kalani would not have given him the time of day if he wasn't a great supporter.
BaylorTaxman
As a fan base, we certainly have a difficult time dealing with prosperity.
BUbackerinET
Brian Ethridge said:

She was just saying, you never know what the future holds.
Exactly. All good things come to an end at some point, even our lives as good as they may have been.
bowdedg
While we're on the topic, here's a decent article about the Rise and Fall of Women's Basketball:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/louisiana-tech-was-the-uconn-of-the-80s/
BUbackerinET
Old300Bear said:

That's just not going to happen. She has the best recruiting class ever (2019) with 5 5* players, she's not going any until until at least that class graduates.
buildabear1
CavalryRoadie
buildabear1 said:

May not be anything but second quarter at or around 1:10 mark. Moon got rebound falling out of bounds threw it between Chloe and Lani. Iowa got it. Kim got very excited along with team turned around and slapped honesty in the back. Hope this isn't what she mentioned that she just got word she may not coach team again. Just my observation.
To be clear, are you saying she might be in trouble for inappropriate contact?
buildabear1
No, just speculation like everyone else. But rewatching game saw this. And a few years ago if not mistaking men's coach at Texas tech got hit with this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
buildabear1
You can tell it was a accident and raw emotions. But some folks may try to make a big deal out of it.
Johnny Bear
BUbackerinET said:

Old300Bear said:

That's just not going to happen. She has the best recruiting class ever (2019) with 5 5* players, she's not going any until until at least that class graduates.
Stranger things have happened, but given how much loyalty has always meant to KM, it's very hard to see her succeeding in bringing in that many 5 stars that clearly want to play for HER only to turn around and leave them after their freshman year - unless it's for reasons totally out of her control (like chronic health issues, etc.). Obviously she's going to leave at some point (most likely via retirement), but it will surprise me if she doesn't continue on as our HC for at least a few more seasons. The comment about not knowing if she's going to coach another game was admittedly odd, but I agree with those that maintain it was intended as a reminder that none of us have a guarantee that anything is going to continue on beyond today and we should therefore be appreciative of and grateful for great accomplishments that have occurred as it's never an absolute certainty that they will just continue on indefinitely.
Task Force 2015
After mentioning the large BU attendance didn't she tie that to WBB being important at Baylor.
Wichitabear
I really think this is way off base. But what do I know lol. Per slap on the back!!
Bearly
The 538 article shows a pattern for women's bb that is much different than for fb or men's bb. In most cases, for the women, programs rise under a star coach and then fall after the coach departs. It appears that the institutions and their fans do not have an interest in keeping their programs strong after the star coach departs. I'm guessing the same will happen at Baylor after Kim.
BaylorTaxman
Never mind. It is not worth the rant and negative energy. I look forward to reading what those of you "in the know" figure out. In the meantime, I will just enjoy witnessing another great Big 12 Tournament Championship.
blackie
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Old300Bear said:

I don't have any sources and I would agree. I don't know where any of you think she would go to Tennessee.....for what? Tennessee is always going to be attached to Summit. No matter what anyone does in Tennessee, they are going to be compared to Summit, and how on earth could you ever do well in that comparison. No one is going to surpass that. Mulkey will always be associated with Baylor. I think what Tennessee wants is the Louisville guy. But why would he leave? Who wants to replace Gino at UConn? Up and comer, yes. Someone who has built a legend elsewhere....uh, no.

I swear, the worst place to go for logical speculation on coaching changes is internet message boards.
buildabear1
Let me say one thing buddy, I was just watching the game this thread has been going on for a minute now. Again not looking for something to hang our coach on. Just saying something I saw , that may or may not pertain to Kim's comment. Has a lot of people wandering including yourself that's why your Reading this thread to see if anyone has heard something.
BaylorTaxman
I was not wondering what Kim said. I was there in the arena and heard it live. I also saw her interacting with fans, our AD, our president, etc after the game. I saw how pumped she was seeing such a large turnout for the send-off at the hotel.

What I was wondering is what on earth some were interpreting.

So if my words are harsh, it is because it just gets old. That is on me for bothering to open this thread to begin with.
Saddle Up!
As a point of context and perspective, regarding Kim's remarks, I took note of her referencing Michelle Voelpel in her post game remarks, and specifically Voelpel's questioning her about the disappointment of repeatedly not reaching the final four. Apparently, they either had a conversation at some point in the last couple of days, or perhaps Voelpel did an interview with Kim, and was wanting her thoughts regarding disappointments of not making it past the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight. You have all, no doubt, heard Kim's remarks on this, so I will not repeat them in this post, but Kim's over-arching point was that she does not see that as a disappointment or a negative.

When you consider those remarks in the context of the comments she made on the floor immediately following the game, both to the TV audience and the arena audience, it seems to me that she very much had front of mind external narratives that were being either created or perpetuated about her program, and in the emotion of the moment, wanted to very strongly verbalize what she feels is the true context and perspective regarding what the Lady Bears have accomplished under her tenure at Baylor. And regarding the apparent mystery of Mack's alleged lack of respect for her, she did very clearly state that Baylor is a school that appreciates the value of women's basketball. I'm pretty sure that she personally would have to be included in that respect!

I personally think the comment about not knowing if she'll coach another game was simply the equivalent of what we have all heard countless times, that we never have the promise of another day, so be sure to make the most of today, and find contentment in where you are, and what you have accomplished. Nothing more.
ftblbob5
After recruiting last year's fierce five, I'd be surprised if she didn't stay until those ladies are done.
2022 Adopt A Bear: Jackie Marshall - 6'3",281, R-Fr, East St. John HS, LaPlace, LA

Respect the game.
Lion82
If Kim left I'm sure most of the fierce five would go with her.
WNIT in '23
Wichitabear
Set made a comment in his podcast that Kim's daughter was sitting next to her last night. She usually sits behind or farther down. I noticed it but only thought how great. It may be nothing. I feel it was just a night of emotions
BU82EX
Lion82 said:

Kim's style does not fit into Rhodes' vision of what a Baylor coach should be and Rhodes is out of his depth trying to manage her elite program. She wins too much and too big and it shows our fans what true excellence looks like.

What exactly is your interpretation of Rhoades' vision of what a Baylor coach should be? And what gives you the impression he can't manage an elite program? I've been impressed with Rhoades and the 2 hires I'm aware of (football & tennis) since becoming AD. Is there a conflict between Rhoades and Kim you'd like to share with everyone?
GrizBear
In the post-game, she mentioned Moon in her comments. If you read between the lines, maybe she's going to become an astronaut and fly to the moon!

Don't go Kim! Please don't become an astronaut! We need you here on Earth!

Smh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.