what did kim mean?

22,083 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by possible12
Alfred Anchorsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Kim wins another National Title this year I predict she will quit.
BUBBFAN
Alfred Anchorsen said:

Nope.
historian
I also thought that she was hinting at a retirement but I suppose it all depends on how one interprets things. As others have noted, it was an emotional moment and she probably was exhausted.

On a related note, I am so happy to see her holding her grandchild during the interviews (going back at least to the UConn game). He is good for her and looks great on TV.

I certainly hope she remains at Baylor for several more years. She is too good for Baylor to let her leave if they can prevent that from happening.
historian
If anyone wants to see the interviews again, the video has been posted on YouTube:

My favorite part was how CKM singled out several of the Cyclone girls to speak to them personally, obviously (based upon their reactions) words of encouragement and praise. I thought that was classy and again showed how special KM is. We are so blessed to have her.
Wichitabear
I can't watch that again. The day Kim leaves Baylor will be such a hard day. She is an excellent coach , but more than that she is our champion for what is good and great about Baylor. She is our defender.
Born_A_Bear
Good term - our defender. She defended us, Baylor students and fans, when everyone else was hiding or attacking.
Wichitabear
Exactly.
greggor25
She will retire at BU. It will be a very sad day indeed but I don't blame her wanting to spend more time with her grandson. I believe she will see the freshmen through and hang it up.
WacoKelly83
So if Kim retires what will Mackenzie do? Stay on staff or retire also? Or move on to another team?
baylor1984
40 years at Baylor sounds like a good number for Kim.
Greenhorne
A typical panties in a wad post. As competitive as Kim is, do you think she will quit when the future is brighter than the past. Calm down and enjoy the ride.
GrizBear
greggor25 said:

She will retire at BU. It will be a very sad day indeed but I don't blame her wanting to spend more time with her grandson. I believe she will see the freshmen through and hang it up.
Do you have any more in depth knowledge than ... you looked in your bowl of Cheerios this morning and saw a picture of a rocking chair?
Meladee
I haven't seen anyone mention this but perhaps her comments were meant to highlight her accomplishments to the Hall of Fame voters who snubbed her this year to what she's accomplished.

I don't think there's any issue with Mack Rhodes.

I do think the deaths in the last two years, especially the two grandfathers of Moon and Didi in the last month are in her mind, hence... The might not coach one more game, comment.

As long as the grandbaby is close, I think she keeps coaching.

She LOVES competing. She loves her teams. She loves her grandbaby, but she'd go nuts in full time grandma mode. Unless she could turn that into a competition somehow.

She will retire one day, hopefully her health and energy hold for a long time.
historian
With Makenzie on staff, the grandchild will always be near. We know Mulkey has a passion for coaching and for the girls on the team: she says so all the time (& the players say it also). Yes, she will retire--one day. But we have no reason to believe that day will come any time soon. She recruited the #1 one class in the country and you know she wants to see how those kids develop as players.

Who knows? Maybe when she retires, Makenzie will take her place!
Pale Rider
Alfred Anchorsen said:

nada
setshot
It is always a stretch to try to decipher comments that are in the moment and unprepared. What the person making them means, even to themselves, is not always clear, and the hearer places their own interpretation on what has been heard, as we see on this board.

I think we can all think of far more reasons for Coach Mulkey to be at Baylor for several more years than reasons for her to leave, either by retirement or to take a challenge elsewhere, and I certainly think that those reasons will prevail for the foreseeable future. I rarely make assumptions about such matters, but in this case, as someone has already suggested, except for the first sentence or two, much of what Mulkey had to say in her half time and post game commentary seemed aimed at high school prospects who might be tuned in to the game, as many doubtless were.

Mulkey was heavily criticized by ISU people for "making it all about her," as the recitation of Baylor success in her time at the helm rolled on, but I saw it as more of both a challenge and an invitation to those elite recruits that Baylor is even now courting for 2020 and after, and I would not totally discount the idea that there might even be a potential transfer yet to be heard from for next year, but it would have to be a very auspicious match of talent to need that would seem unlikely at this point.

Mulkey made it abundantly clear what anyone coming into the program could expect to encounter once they arrived, and her emphasis on team play and personal sacrifice in that unrehearsed speech spoke less about her achievements and much more about those of her players, something that she specifically addressed. I don't think that Coach Mulkey will step down until she feels that what she is doing is no longer fulfilling, and that seems to me to be a long way off at this point. She is recruiting elite talent right now, and I think that she will harvest some of it; that is not the activity of a coach on the way out the door.
ScottS
When they are getting beat, the ISU fans aren't going to say nice things. We need to ignore them.
Wichitabear
I was thinking the same thing.
Wichitabear
Trying. They are just so annoying.
Saddle Up!
setshot said:

It is always a stretch to try to decipher comments that are in the moment and unprepared. What the person making them means, even to themselves, is not always clear, and the hearer places their own interpretation on what has been heard, as we see on this board.

I think we can all think of far more reasons for Coach Mulkey to be at Baylor for several more years than reasons for her to leave, either by retirement or to take a challenge elsewhere, and I certainly think that those reasons will prevail for the foreseeable future. I rarely make assumptions about such matters, but in this case, as someone has already suggested, except for the first sentence or two, much of what Mulkey had to say in her half time and post game commentary seemed aimed at high school prospects who might be tuned in to the game, as many doubtless were.

Mulkey was heavily criticized by ISU people for "making it all about her," as the recitation of Baylor success in her time at the helm rolled on, but I saw it as more of both a challenge and an invitation to those elite recruits that Baylor is even now courting for 2020 and after, and I would not totally discount the idea that there might even be a potential transfer yet to be heard from for next year, but it would have to be a very auspicious match of talent to need that would seem unlikely at this point.

Mulkey made it abundantly clear what anyone coming into the program could expect to encounter once they arrived, and her emphasis on team play and personal sacrifice in that unrehearsed speech spoke less about her achievements and much more about those of her players, something that she specifically addressed. I don't think that Coach Mulkey will step down until she feels that what she is doing is no longer fulfilling, and that seems to me to be a long way off at this point. She is recruiting elite talent right now, and I think that she will harvest some of it; that is not the activity of a coach on the way out the door.

This makes a lot of sense, setshot. It's almost like we got to collectively see and hear what a top tier recruit and her family might hear during an in-home visit from CKM.
Pale Rider
ScottS said:

When they are getting beat, the ISU fans aren't going to say nice things. We need to ignore them.

Good advice Scott. Wisdom and discernment must have priority over pettiness and immaturity.
historian
setshot said:

Spot on!!

What we should remember about Mulkey's comments is that she paused a long time to collect her thoughts before she answered the question. Then, she talked about the program and what the girls had accomplished. She kept emphasizing how few people realize or appreciate what that was. I don't think this was boasting as much as an honest statement of the incredible things that the Lady Bears have done over the years. I think that kind of awe and respect is perfectly appropriate.

As for the critics, who cares what a bunch of sore losers say? They should be easy to ignore. On the other hand, this is no reason for Baylor fans to be arrogant about it. We should not behave like those other fan bases that we despise.

Now on to the National Title!!
Edmond Bear
historian said:

As for the critics, who cares what a bunch of sore losers say? They should be easy to ignore. On the other hand, this is no reason for Baylor fans to be arrogant about it. We should not behave like those other fan bases that we despise.

Now on to the National Title!!

I don't think we care. That's why the salt threads exist, so that we can laugh at their pain.
LadyChickBear
Had another thought this morning on the final speech. I checked the Player of the week and Freshmen of the week for the entire season from Nov. to March. We had one Player of the week for Juicy and she shared it with Tynice Martin and one Freshmen of the week for Naylissa and that's it. No one on the All Freshmen??? And then, of course, the snub of Kalani!! The more I think about some of the emotion...she was angry that HER kids were ignored. I AM!!!
Pale Rider
Ladies have great discernment, especially those chick ladies.
LadyChickBear
Pale Rider said:

Ladies have great discernment, especially those chick ladies.
By the way, I was M'Lynn on the other site. Always enjoy your impressions, Pale Rider!!
Pale Rider
Lynn is my wife's name, but I'm fairly certain that isn't you.
I do remember you on baylorfans.
Blessings.
BearFan33
I saw her comment. " I may not coach another game" and it worried me she was going to announce retirement. But her subsequent comments and behavior made me think that was an over interpretation. I think she was just appreciating the accomplishment of winning another B12 championship.

With that said.....it never hurts to discuss succession planning. How old is Brock? Is KM grooming Mackenzie?
57Bear
historian said:

With Makenzie on staff, the grandchild will always be near. We know Mulkey has a passion for coaching and for the girls on the team: she says so all the time (& the players say it also). Yes, she will retire--one day. But we have no reason to believe that day will come any time soon. She recruited the #1 one class in the country and you know she wants to see how those kids develop as players.

Who knows? Maybe when she retires, Makenzie will take her place!
And maybe Makenzie will be a grandmother by then.
CavalryRoadie
BearFan33 said:

Is KM grooming Mackenzie?

You're kidding, right?
greggor25
GrizBear said:

greggor25 said:

Do you have any more in depth knowledge than ... you looked in your bowl of Cheerios this morning and saw a picture of a rocking chair?

Pure speculation. We might be reading too much into her speech after the game. You think she will stick around after we win another NC?
blackie
BearFan33 said:

I saw her comment. " I may not coach another game" and it worried me she was going to announce retirement. But her subsequent comments and behavior made me think that was an over interpretation. I think she was just appreciating the accomplishment of winning another B12 championship.

With that said.....it never hurts to discuss succession planning. How old is Brock? Is KM grooming Mackenzie?
It is very rare that ever works out on either of the possibilities mentioned. When the time comes it would be better to look outside the program. I've personally seen it too many times where the assistant takes over for the legend and it just doesn't work. I do hope that Kim has the primary say in who is considered. I think she knows more than ANY AD who out there in the coaching fraternity would be the best fit to who best takes over HER program.
Meladee
ScottS said:

the ISU fans aren't going to say nice things. We need to ignore them.

FIFY
geewago
CavalryRoadie said:

BearFan33 said:

Is KM grooming Mackenzie?

You're kidding, right?
Lets hope say.
setshot
I do believe that Jerry Seinfeld was on to something when he said that sports fans' allegiance is not to the athlete (or by inference, to the coach), but to laundry.

One's passion hinges on who wears what uniform.

We can be intensely critical of others who do no more than our own do (and that includes comments from Coach Mulkey that Baylor fans for the most part always put the best possible interpretation on), while defending our own who may sometimes say or do either too little or too much. It is human nature and everyone does it.

Rarely are outgoing coaches given the opportunity to name their successors, and over a long period of observation of the few who have, the results have not often been edifying. Replacing someone who is iconic or legendary is not a recipe for an easy advancement in a profession, and few have managed it very well. There are increasing numbers of highly competent coaches in the women's ranks, but Baylor is different in a number of ways from other head coaching situations, so the fit is a bit harder in Waco in some respects, and a bit easier in others.

I don't consider anyone to be irreplaceable and if they appear to be then they have not been the leader that they should have been. One of the core tasks of an outstanding leader is to create an environment and an organization that makes their kind of leadership superfluous. No two leaders are similar, but a strong culture of accomplishment usually shares certain characteristics with other successful cultures and organizations.

I believe that Mulkey has iconic status with a multitude of her fans, but I also believe that she is replaceable and that whomever her successor might be will find a structure and the culture that it represents that will enable the program to continue to thrive. If that is not true, then in at least in one aspect of her responsibility at Baylor Kim Mulkey will have failed -- and I think that she will be more disappointed than almost anyone else.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.