what did kim mean?

22,094 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by possible12
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Edmond Bear said:

historian said:

As for the critics, who cares what a bunch of sore losers say? They should be easy to ignore. On the other hand, this is no reason for Baylor fans to be arrogant about it. We should not behave like those other fan bases that we despise.

Now on to the National Title!!

I don't think we care. That's why the salt threads exist, so that we can laugh at their pain.

And I'm glad I started them.
GarlandBear84
Well, I liked you there and here, so that makes sense!
Pale Rider
GarlandBear84 said:

Well, I liked you there and here, so that makes sense!
GoldenBear
Kim meant that with the uncertainties of this life, nothing, including tomorrow, is guaranteed. That's it.
Pale Rider
GoldenBear said:

Kim meant that with the uncertainties of this life, nothing, including tomorrow, is guaranteed. That's it.
And she is absolutely correct.
historian
"For man does not know his time. Like fish that are taken in an evil net, and like birds that are caught in a snare, so the children of man are snared at an evil time, when it suddenly falls upon them."

Ecclesiastes 9:12
Pale Rider
historian said:

"For man does not know his time. Like fish that are taken in an evil net, and like birds that are caught in a snare, so the children of man are snared at an evil time, when it suddenly falls upon them."

Ecclesiastes 9:12

The Father has ordained our days upon this earth. He has our life and the number of our days in His eternal mind.
dilligas66
In the late 60s half of the people on the planet became convinced for a short while that Paul McCartney was dead. Someone called into a radio station and made the claim that he played one of the Beatles' songs backward and the words came out- 'Paul is dead'. Before long we were all sitting around the turntable taking our finger and trying our best to play the song backward. Then radio stations began playing a professionally produced version of the song in reverse. The most ardent fans heard loud and clear... 'Paul is dead'. The rest of us heard gibberish. However, the gibberish crowd seemed less convinced than the others, and in the back of our minds thought it was possible, as crazy as it seemed.

This thread reminds me of that escapade. Once again, I'm in the 'gibberish crowd'. And once again, I have those 'what if' things rumbling in the back of my mind.

I suppose I can take some solace that McCartney will be playing in the Rangers Ballpark in June...
bubbadog
dilligas66 said:

In the late 60s half of the people on the planet became convinced for a short while that Paul McCartney was dead. Someone called into a radio station and made the claim that he played one of the Beatles' songs backward and the words came out- 'Paul is dead'. Before long we were all sitting around the turntable taking our finger and trying our best to play the song backward. Then radio stations began playing a professionally produced version of the song in reverse. The most ardent fans heard loud and clear... 'Paul is dead'. The rest of us heard gibberish. However, the gibberish crowd seemed less convinced than the others, and in the back of our minds thought it was possible, as crazy as it seemed.

This thread reminds me of that escapade. Once again, I'm in the 'gibberish crowd'. And once again, I have those 'what if' things rumbling in the back of my mind.

I suppose I can take some solace that McCartney will be playing in the Rangers Ballpark in June...
At the risk of thread derailment, I remember being captivated by the same rumor. I was in 6th or 7th grade. We'd go down to the corner market and read the tabloid stories.

It was more than just playing a song backward. During the long fadeout to Strawberry Fields Forever you can clearly hear a voice say, "I buried Paul." There were lots of visual clues in the booklet that was stitched into the original LP jacket to Magical Mystery Tour. For example, there's a photo of the band in white tuxedos. All the others are wearing red carnations, but Paul's carnation is black. There's a big crowd shot where someone is holding a hand over Paul's head (which, according to the tabloids, was a symbol for death). On the famous photo on the cover of Abbey Road, the other Beatles are wearing shoes but Paul is barefoot.

The claim was that, during their travels, the Beatles had met someone who was the spitting image of Paul. As a goof, they paid him to travel with them and sometimes stand in for Paul to see if they could actually fool people. When they saw it worked, they taught him to sing and play. Then, supposedly, the real Paul was killed in a car crash. They covered it all up and from then on passed off the body double as the real Paul.

We were all riveted back in 1968 or 1969, whenever it was.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Born_A_Bear
Same here.
historian
I was a child back then. Even when I was older, I never smoked that stuff.
Wichitabear
Boy this thread has really gotten off track. Lol
historian
Sorry, I know I share some of the blame for being silly on a few occasions.
Wichitabear
No worries Historian!!! I love your posts.
oldbear69
Wichitabear said:

historian
oldbear69 said:

Wichitabear said:

Love it!!
ScottS
What if Paul really is dead and the body double is the one still singing and touring?
Aliceinbubbleland
My all time favorite memory of Kim, well, one of many but right at the top, was when she threw the bouquet back to Starr or whoever tried to present them to her after a game.
historian
Aliceinbubbleland said:

My all time favorite memory of Kim, well, one of many but right at the top, was when she threw the bouquet back to Starr or whoever tried to present them to her after a game.
I'd like to see that video!
historian
There are actually quite a few videos on YouTube of Kim Mulkey being Kim Mulkey. I liked the one in which she started singing a country song during a press conference:

possible12
blackie said:

Not surprised to see this thread. I was going to start one if it wasn't present. I saw last night as different comments from what Kim has said in the past. First off, in both interviews (first with Dales only for TV, and then with Brenda for the arena) when Kim was asked the question of what this meant, her pause in answering was prolonged and deafening. You could see she was about to cry in coming up with an answer. Now, this could be just from the emotion of the moment, but she has been emotional in the past before and we (at least I) have not seen the hesitancy to answer and the quivering in her speech in beginning the answer. This just seemed different.

Reasons could be anything as have been proposed in this thread. It could be a lurking medical situation that she has not made public. It could be the emotion of her loss (first grandchild), the emotion of team members' losses, or because of things she has knowledge of concerning friends or family. Or, it could be just us misreading. It just seems to me it is not the usual we have seen or heard in the past, even though some of the words have been the same. She did say that Baylor appreciated WBB, so it likely is not something coming from the administration (if there is anything to last night's interviews at all). However, if we find anything coming from Pat Neff that is causing her grief, my support of Baylor will cease in its entirety at that point. I'm tired of these people treating Baylor as their personal toy causing pain for everyone else that has no control over the situation (us, for example).

Regardless of what meaning, if any at all, last night's comments play out in the near future, one thing she said is undeniably true. Don't take this success for granted. Many people took the football success for granted. The football board had Baylor winning multiple championships for as far as the eye could see and nothing would change it. That balloon popped at the drop of a pin.

At some point Baylor will have to hire someone else to be the head coach of the women's basketball program. That is a fact of life. Whether Baylor remains an elite program will depend on that hire. There are not even a handful of today's elite WBB programs, IMO, that will not take a serious hit on the retirement of their present coach, and that includes UConn. Whether the hit is just temporary or long-lasting will depend on the hire. But for just a few schools it will be a prove-it mentality to recruits for at least 2 or 3 years and during that time there is going to be a drop-off.

WBB recruits are coming to most of these elite programs because of the coach, not the school. The only two elite WBB schools that I can think of right now where the school's reputation, academics or status might be enough to avoid a drop-off is Stanford and Notre Dame. I'd throw Tennessee into that group, if not for what they have already done to themselves. A "name" coach might be able to resurrect it, if done quickly, but they have fallen way off. If Geno is not in Storrs, who really wants to go to school at UConn with an unproven coach, at least for their standards? And for as most of us having long ties to Baylor and believe in its heritage, we are winning WBB championships because of Kim Mulkey, not because of the name on the jersey. Georgia was great for years. Landers retired and Georgia is a bottom feeder in the SEC. That is only one example there are many more (Duke, North Carolina, and Texas and TT in our conference).

So, instead of complaining about all the FFs of which we have fallen short, celebrate in what we have done and where we are. My hope is that when Kim hangs it up, she (assuming she wants to) picks her replacement because I trust her to know who has the best chance to follow up her success. And that the school doesn't try to penny pinch like UT did with Aston. We will have one chance to get this right when the time comes. We should expect an initial fall-off. But if that hire is wrong, we may never get back.

Sorry for the length. It is just sad to even think about the day CKM is not on that sideline whether it is next year, 5 years, or 10 years. It just seemed to me that last night was different.

So, cliff notes, she was cryptic?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.