Abilene Christian Scouting Report

7,377 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MrGolfguy
DFW Bill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ACU has a 6'4" Post that does not start and plays seven minutes a game, three 6'1" players that are their number 4, 5, and 6 scorers. The rest are all smaller. They lost to Texas Tech by 51 points. Is this enough information?

Massey Reports has Baylor favored by 48 points, The Freshman will get some minutes Saturday. Stronger opponent in the game on Monday.

North Carolina by 3 over California.

whitetrash
ESPN noted that UNC is one of the worst rebounding teams in the country, and that Cal has the #1 rebounder in the country.
geewago
Bickle will score 20
Bruingirl
geewago said:

Bickle will score 20

I'll put my seatbelt on early!
Can't it just be game time already?
Wineguy89
geewago said:

Bickle will score 20

Caitlyn ROCKS!!!
whitetrash
geewago said:

Bickle will score 20

She'll score 10 points in the first half as a brunette, then come back and score 10 more in the second half as a blonde.
3rdgenbear
Bickle and DeCosta in double figures would be a great start in the tournament. Hopefully, Honesty joins the party too!
geewago
Some of you WBB buffs will probably remember Julie Goodenough the coach of ACU. She spent 3 years in Stillwater after a tremendous career at Hardin Simmons. Things did not go well for her there. I think 8 games is the most she ever won in a season. She's found her way back to Abilene, my old childhood stomping grounds, and seems to be doing very well there. Big 12 is tough and she certainly didn't get much to work with when she inherited the cow poke program.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
whitetrash said:

ESPN noted that UNC is one of the worst rebounding teams in the country, and that Cal has the #1 rebounder in the country.
Cal big is legit.
ckilpatrick
geewago, I live in Abilene and actually graduated from ACU in 2013. Have been a lady bear fan ever since 2005 when they won their first championship. Cool to know Abilene is your old stomping grounds. Even tho acu is my alumni, I'm all Lady Bears!
historian
geewago said:

Bickle will score 20
And be the lowest scorer for the Lady Bears?!
Tylerbear
I haven't seen this type of confidence since our men's team played Liberty a couple years ago
geewago
Tylerbear said:

I haven't seen this type of confidence since our men's team played Liberty a couple years ago
Geezus, that's scary. However not quite apples to apples.
historian
Naturally, WBB facing ACU is exactly the same thing as FB against Liberty in 2017.

There are so many similarities:

1) A first year HC with a good record elsewhere and much promise at Baylor compared to one of the best HC's of all time who has been at Baylor for many years.

2) A HC trying to rebuild a team after a national "scandal" that decimated the program compared to a top ranked powerhouse that regularly dominates the Big 12.

3) Barely making it to a bowl game in 2018 compared to conference championships (both regular season and tournament) as a staple for several years and 2 national titles.

4) An unranked team for 2 years compared to the team that has been #1 for several weeks this year & many times over the past several years--including the entire 2011-12 season (42-0).

5) An entire recruiting class decimated by said "scandal" compared to the #1 recruiting class in the nation.

Then again, maybe there is no comparison. Sorry about the sarcasm; I could not resist.
bearbone11
I'm only half joking when I say we could probably beat this team playing 5 on 4. Or 5 on 5, with Kim and Makenzie taking the guard spots. Kalani could drop 50 points this game if we were so inclined.
R11
DanaDane
ACU has no chance even if we sat the 5 starters and played the 5 freshmen, but holy moly hats off to that school and its major athletic programs. To see how far and fast they have come in football and basketball from lower NCAA division in a very short period is beyond amazing. Respect.
Eball
I will watch the game and cheer on the team in a sure bludgeoning of ACU! However I feel a bit sad that first game of tourney and l have little sense of excitement about game. I am sure the excitement level will rise game to game but this one will be about not getting hurt, playing starters enough to keep sharp and not allowing subs to get sloppy.
T-REX
Screw Abilene. I wasted 3.5 years of my life going to McMurry in that hell hole of a town. Why I choose to try and play D3 football over just going to Baylor as a student and getting a much more valuable degree will always haunt me. Nothing to do in that town. Church of Christ runs it. Last year they finally passed laws to allow bars to not close at 12am during the week and 1am on Saturdays. Nothing to do for college kids there despite having 3 universities and 2 juco campuses. Abilene is a terrible place that I have only visited once since graduating and that was for a wedding I was a groomsan in and even then i tried to not go back.

I hope we beat ACU by 100 points. ACU may have had way better looking women than McMurry did but they had to be in their dorms by like 10pm so I couldnt even take them back to my dorm or apt while in college. Screw Abilene. Waco is not the greatest town in the world but it is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than that flat piece of dirt 3 hours west. Go Waco!!!
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
geewago
I could tell you a lot of stories about Abilene. I have pleasant memories from there. But it helps that I was raised there and didn't know any better. Plus many of my kinfolks lived in Clyde just east of town. It was just a little berg back then and Abilene to us was where you went to get everything. We looked at it as the Big Apple. I lived there until I was 13, moved back when I was 27, stayed another 5 years. Plus we were wheat harvesters and for over 40 years we started our harvest there toward the end of May and then worked our way up till we finished in Scobey, MT.

My dad owned the Case tractor dealership there for around 10 years. It was located north of town on the Anson hwy right across the street from Fraley Butane. My uncle owned the Indian Motorcycle dealership there. I went to school at Ben Milam Elementary which was built just like the Alamo. Has long been demolished. I remember when the town of Impact came into existence. It was incorporated to have liquor stores since Abilene was dry. The Church of Christers kept booze out of the town. So the Methodists and Baptists led the way in getting Impact incorporated.

In 1967 I won the "Duncan Top" city Championship which was held at Mackeys toy store. Qualified me for the state championship in Dallas. Placed 3rd in the Duncan Yo-Yo championship about 6 months later. Just never did like Yo-Yos like I did the Tops. I kissed my first girl in Abilene. Linda Rodriquez. She was a little more experienced than me. Her expertise would help me out several years later. When we moved away I carried two cigar boxes full of Rattlesnake rattlers that I had collected from all the various wheat fields over the years. Fun indeed!!

All the wildlife that is located in the Waco, Mclennan county area can be found in the Abilene area and then some with the exception of the swamp rabbit. However there are less chiggers and mosquitos there due to the drier climate. That's a plus. We had a lot of tarantula spiders there.They were fun to catch/fight/torture etc. And we used to have a lot of fun as kids with mountain boomers. Looks like a huge lizard crossed with a Horney Toad. You city folks will probably have to google that one lest you think I'm telling a tall tale. But I shall not bore you any further unless I am bombarded with questions.
franklin
Correct me if this wrong, but wasn't Dallas Probst the name of the saint who incorporated Impact Texas and won a wet election, bringing booze to Abilene? After the Texas Supreme Court gave his efforts a thumbs up, folks in dry counties across Texas followed his example and brought comfort to the thirsty. In Abilene, Denton, and other places. Then the righteous voted wet so their cities or counties could get a piece of the liquor tax action. What ever his name is, he is a hero to some. Perhaps Baylor should add his statue together to those already on campus.
geewago
You know what, I was just a little boy when Impact was built. It was up in the northern most uttermost and undesirable place in Abilene. I just remember the old timers sitting around the spit and whittle floors talking about it and you know how rumors go. Everybody was blaming the Baptists and Methodists for compromising on it. And that was probably all a big lie. My grandpa didn't have TV but he stayed tuned to his radio. And talk about it filled the news for quite some time. I remember some saying that Dallas was mainly responsible for it. For many years I thought they meant the city of Dallas influenced it some way. But yes I do believe there was a man by that name who played a great part in it. But wasn't his last name Perkins? Pinkys was the first store built there as I recall and some would refer to it as Pinkys by Perkins.
slimecap
Wineguy89 said:

Caitlyn ROCKS!!!

Caitlyn Bickle #51
T-REX
slimecap said:

Wineguy89 said:

Caitlyn ROCKS!!!

Caitlyn Bickle #51
Caitlyn is the hottest player we have had since Alyssa Dry
Baylor MBA 2023
GarlandBear84
I could read your stories all day. Share all you want.
setshot
Ah, yes, Geewago, Clyde, Texas, the home of one of the finest but least known running backs in Baylor history, Allan Jones, who once hit 9.5 in the one hundred yard dash, weighed in at close to 200 lb., and played with Cotton Davidson, L.G. Dupree, and Jerry Coody in a backfield that in 1953 was known nationally as the "Fearsome Foursome."

I know that George Sauer was a fine coach and the Baylor offense was rightly thought to be one of the best in the country, but I thought then as I do now that Jones was under utilized. Coody and Davidson were All Conference and Dupree was probably touted at least as much, so that did not leave a lot of carries for Allan Jones, but he was strong and had blazing speed, and of the running backs we had he was far and away the one most likely to break a long one, which he occasionally did. I went out and watched a practice one day and he took it to the end zone six straight times from the fifty yard line against the second defensive unit. If you could have combined Dupree's elusiveness with the speed of Jones you would have had one extraordinary running back.

I had an older brother and sister who went to Hardin Simmons and I spent most of the summer of 1948 out there.
I hunted around the area, Merkel and Abilene, mostly rabbits and squirrels, and probably had the best time of my boyhood out there, so I have a residual affection for the area that reflects my fifteen year old experience in the early post-WW II years. Thanks for reminding me of all that.
fredbear
SHHHH stop this thread. the Church of Christ think they are the only ones going to the tourny!!
whitetrash
fredbear said:

SHHHH stop this thread. the Church of Christ think they are the only ones going to the tourny!!
The bigger questions are:

1) Will ACU bring their band?

2) If they do, will they have instruments?
willtalk
Abilene Abilene,
prettiest town I ever seen
Women there don't treat you mean
In Abilene, my Abilene.
twd74
willtalk said:

Abilene Abilene,
prettiest town I ever seen
Women there don't treat you mean
In Abilene, my Abilene.

I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo
And Abilene
The friendliest people and the prettiest women you ever seen
fredbear
Hey now, don't equate Abilene with the great Amarillo!
twd74
fredbear said:

Hey now, don't equate Abilene with the great Amarillo!
Jerry Jeff Walker already did, I think!
Coopbear
Gary P. Nunn to be precise.
Wineguy89
T-REX said:

slimecap said:

Wineguy89 said:

Caitlyn ROCKS!!!

Caitlyn Bickle #51

Not a bad call but Chloe says "Helloooo" this year as well!!

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Coopbear said:

Gary P. Nunn to be precise.
They say you're from down South because when you open your mouth, you always seem to put your foot there...

T-REX
Wineguy89 said:

T-REX said:

slimecap said:

Wineguy89 said:

Caitlyn ROCKS!!!

Caitlyn Bickle #51

Not a bad call but Chloe says "Helloooo" this year as well!!

Very true
Baylor MBA 2023
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.