Story Poster
Photo by © Rob Ferguson-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Women's Basketball

Baylor advances in dominant fashion over 4-seed South Carolina, 93-68

March 30, 2019

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Baylor continued their dominant run through the NCAA tournament as the Lady bears dismantled No. 4-seed South Carolina 93-68 in the Sweet 16 on Saturday afternoon. The 25-point victory in the third round of the tournament came after 57-point and 39-point victories in the first two rounds. 

The Lady Bears jumped out 24-11 lead after the first period and never trailed as they extended their lead out to 49-23 at halftime. The second half started with a few miscues, however, and the Lady Bears were outscored 29-23 in the third period as USC cut a 30-point Baylor lead to to 16 at the 2:31 mark. 

Baylor regained composure in the final moments and pushed their lead back out to 20 with the final quarter to play to go. 

All five of Baylor’s starters reached double figures in the contest. Leading the way for Baylor was guard DiDi Richards who scored a career high 25 points while grabbing 6 rebounds and dishing out 4 assists. Richards finished the game 11 of 13 from the field. 

Center Kalani Brown and forward Lauren Cox each recorded a double-double. Brown scored 18 points and secured 10 rebounds. Cox, who played one of the most complete games of her career, scored 17 points and collected 14 rebounds. Cox, who connected on 8-of-10 free throw attempts, also recorded 6 assists, 5 blocks and 1 steal. 

Juicy Landrum and Chloe Jackson each scored 12 points and combined for 10 rebounds and 7 assists.

The Lady Bears shot 52.1% from the field and dominated the boards with a 54-30 advantage.

Baylor moves on to face No. 2-seed Iowa in the Elite Eight on Monday evening. 

Discussion from...

Baylor advances in dominant fashion over 4-seed South Carolina, 93-68

11,860 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NeuroticBear
WIBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Double D comes through again. We will need her newly found offense if we are to win a national championship.
Chibears2
I hope that makes DiDi's confidence soar sky high on the offensive end! I can imagine Coach Bluder scouting to see who she was going to double defensively with DiDi's defender. Then this game unfolds and then it's "Holy Moly," how am I going to stop that?!
xiledinok
Can you all tell Kim to hold off on the whip ass until midway through the 2nd quarter?
slimecap
Full game is now available for replay on ESPN3
Bruingirl
Elite 8 has been our kryptonite the last few years...I'm ready for us to break through this year.
Can't it just be game time already?
Bruingirl
Can't it just be game time already?
4th and Inches
Bruingirl said:

Elite 8 has been our kryptonite the last few years...I'm ready for us to break through this year.
this team has chemistry... talked to my realative who was with the 2005 team and she said that this years team reminds her of that team so much

This team has all the pieces, splash on a little luck for Good measure and lets win the whole thing!
EvilTroyAndAbed
Bruingirl said:

Last year it was this Sweet Sixteen game.
4th and Inches
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Bruingirl said:

Last year it was this Sweet Sixteen game.
yep, 4 elite 8s in a row and last year was a sweet 16... after we lost KWal, the team lost momentum
slimecap
FiveThirtyEight
Currently gives Baylor a 91% chance of defeating Iowa
in the Elite Eight

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-march-madness-predictions/womens/?ex_cid=rrpromo
Jacques Strap
The guards are killing it in the tournament
slimecap
ELITE 8 APPEARANCES

BaylorBears_254
We'll win it all this year. We finally have the complete team that we should've had last year as well if not for KW injury.

Mulkey has finally started to go away from the "force it to the big girls" right away gameplan and its showing.
Heart
Gosh I love this team! So fun to watch. What a game for DiDi! Really nice game for all the Lady Bears!
MommaBear
I have a good feeling about our team this year, just like I did in 2012.

Having 2 quality Bigs who are often double-teamed leaves Didi to sneak through the back door and make easy shots. As long as we keep doing that, I don't see how we can be defeated. With Chloe making her trademark mid-range jumpers and an occasional basket by Juicy, I like out odds in our remaining games.
3rdgenbear
Wow, what a win! It is time to start believing what a special team this is. Going forward - This team has so many ways to win, I really can't think of how they can lose. Complacency, overconfidence - not in their character.

Before today, I felt like we might struggle, not necessarily lose, if our 1 & 2 didn't combine for 30 points on 30 shots, which would put our 1,2 & 3 at about 38 shots and 38 to 40 combined points given Didi's offensive history - then Didi scores 25 going 11 of 14 by herself.

Every player on our team including Moon and Nalyssa have been the primary offensive catalyst in at least one of our important wins now. Offensively, we are unstoppable. Defensively, we just plain dominate.

Injuries or an egregiously, unfairly called game seem to be our only possible ways to lose and that is unlikely and might not even tip the scales.

The Lady Bears are on a roll....and it is nice to be along for the ride. What an amazing basketball team we have.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
slimecap
Carolyn's Peck-ing Order
Baylor Keys to a Championship

1 Defense 31% Opp FG Leads D-1
2 Chemistry Same starters in 33 of 35 games
3 Point Guard Chloe Jackson 5.5 APG
4 High Octane Offense 81.5 PPG 7th in D-1

- Carolyn Peck, ESPN analyst, during game telecast
slimecap

My Kind of Trivia
  • Iowa Senior Megan Gustafson is 22 points shy of reaching 1,000 for the season.
  • Gustafson would become just the fourth NCAA student-athlete to accomplish the feat, joining Kelsey Plum (Washington, 2017), Jackie Stiles (Missouri St., 2001), and Odyssey Sims (Baylor, 2014).

- Iowa WBB website
NeuroticBear
slimecap said:

ELITE 8 APPEARANCES

https://acrossthetimeline.com/ncaa/elite-eight-lo.png

If you reduce the time range to the last 10 years, it's quite a different picture.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.