Chou and Morris

7,553 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by willtalk
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder what they are thinking at the moment....
Wichitabear
That would be interesting to know
HoustonBear15
I hope that they are happy for their former teammates yet still content with their decisions. Players transfer for different reasons so not gonna hold anything against them. They knew what they were leaving behind, it's not like this is a surprise for them.
Dcheetah
Dont think Alexis wanted to leave. Hope everything works out well for both.
HoustonBear15
Dcheetah said:

Dont think Alexis wanted to leave. Hope everything works out well for both.
Yeah totally understand, my thought was really just about transfers in general. The same would be said about Mompremier. I know Morris is a little bit of a different situation but like I said, players transfer for different reasons.
Meladee
Alexis is cheering for her friends.

GarlandBear84
How many minutes would Chou have played this season? Maybe 5-10/game?
Mitch Blood Green
ScottS said:

I don't think leaving was either of their choices.

Sometimes you leave. Sometimes you get left.
EvilTroyAndAbed
ScottS said:

You gotta remember that many players want to find the best fit, not just the best team. If Chou plays the next three years at UCLA and contributes and makes lifetime friends and they make the Sweet 16 once and that's it, she'll probably be much happier than being at Baylor and not playing as much, even though she would be on a championship team.

Players want to win championships, but they want to be the ones responsible for it. I'm sure both will find better fits somewhere else.
Media Bear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

ScottS said:

You gotta remember that many players want to find the best fit, not just the best team. If Chou plays the next three years at UCLA and contributes and makes lifetime friends and they make the Sweet 16 once and that's it, she'll probably be much happier than being at Baylor and not playing as much, even though she would be on a championship team.

Players want to win championships, but they want to be the ones responsible for it. I'm sure both will find better fits somewhere else.
Yep. Players gotta play -- and Chou is most certainly a fine basketball player. I think most players will say it is better to be a key cog/major contributors on a somewhat lesser team, than a middling-to-minor role player on a top team.
SSadler
Chou was always going to struggle to play defense as fast as this bunch. Great offensively. Her corner 3 was fun to watch when on, but a half step slower on defense than our starting guards/forwards.
ctxbear
Morris was tweeting support for the team throughout the day today. Which is great. After one of the games, I think it was the Elite 8 against Iowa, she was retweeting some stuff about her from last year's team, which was strange to me.

Of course most kids on social media are strange to me these days, so whatever.
jumpinjoe
It will be interesting to see how the freshmen develop between now and next year, especially Caitlin and Honesty coming off injury. The braces should come off next year so their movement won't be restricted. Hope they can get to 45% from the 3.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
GarlandBear84
tommie said:

ScottS said:

Gotta disagree on Chou. I can't think of any reason Kim would ask her to leave. She probably realized she wouldn't be a starter.
Bearprof
Chou wasn't going to beat out DiDi at the 3 due to defense. I think Chou would have gotten many minutes subbing for DiDi and would have played a little at the 2. Imagine if this team would have had Chou and Morris? Goodness... The Lady Bears won the National Title with without what would have been their starting point guard/a key perimeter weapon off the bench, the most versatile frontcourt player in the country for a quarter and a half in the title game, and Smith who fouled out late. That's why you have depth. That's why you have a team.
Mitch Blood Green
GarlandBear84 said:

tommie said:

ScottS said:

Gotta disagree on Chou. I can't think of any reason Kim would ask her to leave. She probably realized she wouldn't be a starter.

I thought she was not a fit (Mulkey style wise) and we needed the ship for some of the freshmen.

People often forget that scholarships are year to year.
mimi25408
You are thinking of mompremier, it wasnt her style of play it was chemistry among other things. Chou left on her own... coaching staff asked her to stay but she wanted to leave, hell it's her loss.. National champions!!
HoustonBear15
I actually don't think Natalie was that bad defensively. She wasn't the quickest but made up for it with her length and vision. She led the team in steals per game last season. She started 19 games before her injury and we know how Mulkey values defense. If she was that much of a liability she wouldn't have been on the floor that much.
CavalryRoadie
Bearprof said:

Chou wasn't going to beat out DiDi at the 3 due to defense. I think Chou would have gotten many minutes subbing for DiDi and would have played a little at the 2. Imagine if this team would have had Chou and Morris? Goodness... The Lady Bears won the National Title with without what would have been their starting point guard/a key perimeter weapon off the bench, the most versatile frontcourt player in the country for a quarter and a half in the title game, and Smith who fouled out late. That's why you have depth. That's why you have a team.
Who's to say Baylor would have been as good with either, or both, Chou and Morris?

I liked both of them, but this team won without them.
BiPolarBear
I would be more curios how Beatrice Mompremier feels.
BaylorBears_254
Chou just wasn't all that to me...I argued many here that she would not beat out Didi for the starting position.

Chou likely wasn't even going to beat out Moon.

As for Morris...so disappointed in her. She was going to be 1a or 1b for the best PG's to ever suit up for Baylor.
HoustonBear15
BiPolarBear said:

I would be more curios how Beatrice Mompremier feels.
Mompremier chose to be closer to home, which I can respect. It was probably a good thing, especially since her father passed away. She had a great season at Miami and even got to beat Notre Dame too.
GarlandBear84
We had three unused scholarships this season and Kim has never used all 15 as I recall. Chou would've been good depth and we would've gone 8 deep instead of the seven we played in tight games.
uglytobone
https://stats.pac-12.com/sports/wbkb/2019-20/teams/ucla?view=lineup&r=1&pos=sh

Year to date Natalie is doing ok with UCLA:

24 mins/game
12 ppg
47% from bta
5 reb/game
2.8 asst/TO

Was actually doing pretty well with BU until she needed surgery on her non-shooting wrist.
blueeyedbear
HoustonBear15 said:

I actually don't think Natalie was that bad defensively. She wasn't the quickest but made up for it with her length and vision. She led the team in steals per game last season. She started 19 games before her injury and we know how Mulkey values defense. If she was that much of a liability she wouldn't have been on the floor that much.
I totally agree - Natalie did not have DiDi's or Landrum's speed or quickness but she was incredibly court savvy - she got her steals by anticipating the pass and steeping into the passing lanes for the interception and she also won a lot of 50/50 balls because she has really quick hands.
Her mother was the decision maker on her leaving and I wont get into that here.
DanaDane
Some players are good players but they pick the wrong school and type of team. Chou was a good basketball player on the wrong type of team for her skills. It was just not a good fit. As BEB said, her mom made the decision to transfer.
uglytobone
Alexis Morris played 11 mins in her first game back in Rutgers loss to Indiana. Stat line was not so good:

0 pts
0-1 3ptr
1 TO
3 PF
BaylorBearWBBFan
That was actually her second game. In her first, versus Wisconsin, she recorded 10 minutes, 0-2 FG, 2 rebounds, 1 foul, 3 turnovers, and 2 steals. I hope she finds herself able to settle in.
willtalk
Often personal issues eventually manifest themselves on the court as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.