Nalyssa Smith

10,683 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big Bear
NeuroticBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We don't win this game without her.

7 out of 9 as a freshman with some really tough shots.

Incredible performance.
Media Bear
OP/thread isn't getting near enough responses ..
fubar
We wouldn't have beaten UConn without her either. We lose that game, and we're all probably pissing and moaning about being a #2 seed (with only two losses) in Portland.
Dcheetah
She scored many key baskets in the last 8plus minutes it was a one score game and had a huge block at the end also before fouling out. I can't wait to see the player she turns into because she is already amazing!
Meladee
I've been celebrating.....

Your right, this thread deserves more love, I'm sure it's coming

100% agree.

Bonus, this should light a fire under her to work on her defense this offseason.

What a special, special team
CarmelBear
She is going to be a double-double machine for the rest of her career at Baylor. She's like a vacuum under the basket grabbing all those rebounds.

If there is an over/under for her double-doubles in 2019-2020, I'd take the over if the number was 15 or less.
jdrs
The future looks good with her on the court for us.
bubbadog
Agree with all of these assessments. We could not have won last night without her.

She gave us a big lift in the first half with her two baskets when Kalani was out. If that had been her entire contribution, we'd all say she had done well for a freshman.

What she did down the stretch showed she is no mere freshman.

After Lauren went out, we weren't getting the ball down to Kalani. The other shooters looked tentative. And NaLyssa just shows up with ice water, draining those two huge jump shots like she was in a layup drill. Until Chloe's two baskets at the end, I could even make the argument that NaLyssa's two jumpers were the two biggest shots of the game for us.

For comparison, I think of how Lauren looked as a freshman. You could tell she had talent, but she hadn't yet put it all together at this level. NaLyssa looks way more comfortable than Lauren did at this stage. (And we know that Lauren turned out to be a fairly decent player.)
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Johnny Bear
She played with uncommon confidence for a freshman all season. Barring injuries and other "out of left field" types of things, she's going to be exciting to watch over the next 3 seasons and her contributions this season and certainly in that NC game were extremely valuable.
LIB,MR BEARS
Should we just start calling her Naismith now?
CNC
There aren't enough superlatives to describe Nalyssa Smith.

Don't they say a player's biggest jump is from her Fr year to Soph year? Thought I've heard that before.

With that, I'm really excited, and not just with Nalyssa, but all of those returning players. How all of the non-freshmen have improved from year to year has been so much fun to watch.
CNC
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Should we just start calling her Naismith now?
Nice little play on words there. Didn't catch it the first time.
gone to Tickfaw
imagine lauren coming back after a year off for rehab of the knee and joining Smith & Egbo in their junior season. deadly.
gone to Tickfaw
p.s. HSG can hit the 3... a very confident player
Pat Neff
She is going to be damn good by the time she is an upper classmen.
Big Bear
Her defense must improve. She is a liability and the only reason she didn't more PT was her defense. Hopefully she improves we need her next year. Offensively she is a winner.
BaylorBears_254
Im not worried about her defense, she'll get better. I've seen her swat shots that i didnt think were going to get contested.

She'll learn more and when to be in the correct position at the right time
Pat Neff
How many freshman kids walk onto the court at BU ready to play Kim's style of D? I can't really think of 1 other than Griner and it was more her height that set her apart than anything. Cox sure wasn't. She was lost her freshman year.

Nalyssa will pick it up and be just fine on D. She just needs to work on her strength and conditioning.
greggor25
She is going to special for sure. Hell of an performance by a pure freshmen to come off the bench and play like that!
Saddle Up!
Pat Neff said:

How many freshman kids walk onto the court at BU ready to play Kim's style of D? I can't really think of 1 other than Griner and it was more her height that set her apart than anything. Cox sure wasn't. She was lost her freshman year.

Nalyssa will pick it up and be just fine on D. She just needs to work on her strength and conditioning.

Simms?
Dcheetah
Not trying to sound negative but just asking for those who have seen her play, was HSG pre-injury very fast/quick? She really seemed to struggle with quick guards staying in front or moving laterally. I assumed that was due to the brace but don't know. I love her shooting and confidence.
EasyE
Saddle Up! said:

Pat Neff said:

Sims?

FIFY
Dcheetah
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2019-05-16/5-rising-womens-college-basketball-stars-2019-20-season?amp&__twitter_impression=true
TXtoCO
Smith will learn to use her quickness on defense. She is a finesse player and will adjust her game to become a good defender.

I look forward to seeing Egbo's development. I think she can an incredible player as she becomes more confident and relaxes.
historian
Does anyone think Smith might be our new Point Guard this Fall?
kbrun
historian said:

Does anyone think Smith might be our new Point Guard this Fall?

Is this your opinion? What makes you ask this question?
historian
I'm just curious. I don't know enough about it one way or the other and I wish to solicit the opinions of others on the subject.
Dcheetah
I think the PG will be T. Cooper if she comes spelled by HSG with HSG seeing more time at the 2.

If no Cooper, prob HSG or Didi at the 1.

I expect Nalyssa to play mostly the 4 with either LC or Queen at 5 but she will probably see the 3 some if Kim tries to go big like we did this year.

It will be interesting to see how minutes are divided at the 2 since Juicy, Didi, Moon and HSG will all be vying for minutes here. Maybe Didi will play more 1 and 3 if her shooting improves.
Big Bear
I agree with you on just about everything you said except where is DeCosta? She will have major minutes if she continues to improve on the D side as I believe all of last year's freshman will. If they don't improve on the D side then they will not get minutes.
Big Bear
Also, I was told by the Lady herself that Bickle would lose major weight(as in h.s.) and move back to her hs position at the 3. She is a very good 3 shooter. Loosing the weight will also help her on the D side.
imarockstar
We wouldn't have beaten UConn without her either. We lose that sport, and we're all probable pissing and moaning approximately being a #2 seed (with only losses) in Portland. Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox
Dcheetah
I think Decosta will get most of her minutes at the 3, esp if Didi plays significant minutes at 1 which skilledup referenced may happen.
ChapBear
Don't be surprised if DeCosta gets a lot of time at the two guard position. She has the quickness to play that position and would be a matchup nightmare at the two.
ChapBear
I believe DiDi will play almost exclusively the 3. The only improvement she needs to make is in her outside shot in order to be an all conference junior and an all American senior.

We have some great guards, Juicy, Moon, Trinity, Honesty to play the 1 and 2 slots along with DeCosta. I believe that Trinity will increase her minutes substantially next year and that in Juicy and Moon we have two all conference quality guards. Wait and see.
Big Bear
I agree. If DeCosta improves her D she could play the 2 occasionally.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.