BG congrats

12,121 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
buildabear1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good to see BG congratulate the girls and coach. Not sure how their relationship is but one hope one day she could come back home and maybe even a statue of her be placed outside.
EvilTroyAndAbed
buildabear1 said:

Good to see BG congratulate the girls and coach. Not sure how their relationship is but one hope one day she could come back home and maybe even a statue of her be placed outside.
Their relationship is fine. She's been publicly cheering for the team and Mulk through Twitter for years.
buildabear1
Great, didn't know that.
gone to Tickfaw
why a stature for Griner? She won ONE NC? Maybe if she'd done all four... but i'm not sure she's the best player we've ever had...
WIBear
I always enjoyed watching our opponent try to drive to the bucket. Once they saw Griner they would immediately retreat. Those who didn't, suffered the consequences. She took such verbal abuse from the visiting fans that I wondered how she kept from losing her cool. I really enjoyed watching her and glad she came to Baylor.
DanaDane
fujobear said:

why a stature for Griner? She won ONE NC? Maybe if she'd done all four... but i'm not sure she's the best player we've ever had...

If you want to be moronic, then how many "NC's" did RG3 win? He never even won a Big 12 title. And before you say something even more stupid by saying he won the Heisman, remember that she won the women's basketball equivalent TWICE.
WIBear
You are correct that we have had the privilege of having some great players. But I cannot fault Griner for our having only one national title. One player does not a team make!
Pat Neff
After she and Diana Taurasi trashed the Baylor program.....I couldn't care less what BG says about Kim or our team. And she shouldn't be welcomed back either.
Scout Bear
buildabear1 said:

As I understand it, she will not even get her jersey retired until she graduates. Doesn't even have to be from BU, either. She was 2 weeks from final exams and graduation, and decided to leave school after the WNBA draft, interviewed for that magazine making certain allegations, and teamed up with that yellow snake.

I hope that things have smoothed over, but it is on her. Kim asked that we pray for her and that is what I have been doing.
Jack Bauer
This is another storyline the media likes to exaggerate. Sort of like taking Kim's "punch'em in the mouth" comment to an extreme case that it wasn't.

People like Kate ***an have their own personal agenda to push and exploit any crack to make it look like the whole foundation is crumbling.

If BG or Kim had any grudges, I am sure they moved past it a long ago.
buildabear1
The only reason I posted. You may love or dislike Griner. But she is a reason we're getting great recruits, like Lani. Yes she knew Kim but says she admired Griner and wanted to play at Baylor because of it. Again love or hate her she would be a great recruiting tool excuse the expression. Like it or hate these kids today , when you say Baylor Griner is the first thing they are think of, trust me it's not Kim, the Brazos, Rg111 no t even
BaylorHistory
DanaDane said:

fujobear said:

If you want to be moronic, then how many "NC's" did RG3 win? He never even won a Big 12 title. And before you say something even more stupid by saying he won the Heisman, remember that she won the women's basketball equivalent TWICE.
Yeah i'm by no means a WBB fan, but she needs to have one.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BaylorHistory
buildabear1 said:

when you say Baylor Griner is the first thing they are think of, trust me it's not Kim, the Brazos, Rg111 no t even
I don't think this is accurate at all. Maybe in geriatric circles, but generally BU WBB isn't first when they think of BU. Sadly, their thoughts are drawn to matters much more negative than that.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
buildabear1
Sorry what are you talking about. I speaking about the girls playing basketball.befoe Griner how many
Mcaa did we have or get. And how many after Griner.
fredbear
Was pleased that Diana Taurasi picked BU to win Natty this year even over her own UConn
bubbadog
Does Baylor have its own Sports Hall of Fame? If not, why not?

"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
airforcebear
The B Association has its hall of honor/hall of fame, for the casual reader out there!
Kingdom Bear
buildabear1 said:

The only reason I posted. You may love or dislike Griner. But she is a reason we're getting great recruits, like Lani. Yes she knew Kim but says she admired Griner and wanted to play at Baylor because of it. Again love or hate her she would be a great recruiting tool excuse the expression. Like it or hate these kids today , when you say Baylor Griner is the first thing they are think of, trust me it's not Kim, the Brazos, Rg111 no t even

The reason we are getting great recruits is because of Sytia Messer.
The Kingdoms of this world have become the Kingdoms of our God and of His Christ. ~Revelation 11:15. Stand. Repent. Build.
Kingdom Bear
buildabear1 said:

Welcome to the board, Brittney!
The Kingdoms of this world have become the Kingdoms of our God and of His Christ. ~Revelation 11:15. Stand. Repent. Build.
Booray
BaylorBearsFight said:

buildabear1 said:

It isn't one or another. Coach Messer can sell, that is for sure. If you are selling family and professional future, it is a big help to have a big family in the pros.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BaylorBearsFight said:

buildabear1 said:

and Toyelle Wilson
4th and Inches
Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorBearsFight said:

buildabear1 said:

and Toyelle Wilson
no disrepsect to Rheka and Damion but Messer and Wilson are definite upgrades to the staff
DanaDane
Just a note that I meant to place on my Original Post:

By no means do I think RG3 doesn't deserve a statue -- he was a transcendent athlete for our football program and represented our school proudly. I was only pointing out the absurdity of the comment about BG and her teammates accomplishment of "only 1" Natty, as if National Championship trophies are easy to come by. You can dislike the way BG handled herself off the court with Baylor in general, but she and her teammates busted their humps on the court for that trophy and BG won more individual awards than any Baylor basketball player, man or woman, ever has. They don't just give those trophies away.

That is all.
historian
Griner not only led to the team to a National Championship, she led the team to a 40-0 season--something that no other team, men's or women's had ever done before and only UConn has done once since. That was amazing and special.

More important question: so is 2019 going to be the "Year of the Bear" too? If the football & baseball teams have good years (Baylor is doing well in several sports last time I checked), then maybe so.
LadyChickBear
DanaDane said:

fujobear said:

Well said, Dana Dane!! Thank you!!
LadyChickBear
Pat Neff said:

After she and Diana Taurasi trashed the Baylor program.....I couldn't care less what BG says about Kim or our team. And she shouldn't be welcomed back either.
Shame!! She also gave us lots and that is for Kim to decide. She was young and being manipulated. Try getting a look at her side of it. I watch Brittney and O every summer and root for them both. I will continue to do so.
MommaBear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

buildabear1 said:

Their relationship is fine. She's been publicly cheering for the team and Mulk through Twitter for years.

Which twitter account is she using these days?

@BGriner42 hasn't been used by her since October, 2013

@Brittneygriner hasn't been used by her since July, 2017
rileyroo
Britney Griner used to come to our football tailgate. She loved Baylor and knows that BU was good to her. She was swarmed every time she came by and loved every minute of it. I, for one, appreciated that she called out BU for their policies. I just wish she had not included Kim in the dialogue. Kim was a mother hen to the players. She protected Britney over and over and had her back after BG slugged the Tech girl. Kim loved Britney and only wanted the best for her. The story that was created about Kim being anti-gay couldn't be further from the truth. I know otherwise.

BU should welcome Britney back to campus and have a celebration with Kim at mid court. Many of the players you see today came to BU because of the Britney Griner influence.

EvilTroyAndAbed
buildabear1 said:

Why would anyone dislike Griner?
chorne68
I love BG and welcome her back. There should be a strong recognition for what she did for our school.
syme
She trashed Baylor in order to sell some books. It is what it is.
LadyChickBear
syme said:

She trashed Baylor in order to sell some books. It is what it is.
Shame! Pray. Did you read the book? If not, you have not a clue. And trust me, I doubt she has made much!
LadyChickBear
rileyroo said:

Britney Griner used to come to our football tailgate. She loved Baylor and knows that BU was good to her. She was swarmed every time she came by and loved every minute of it. I, for one, appreciated that she called out BU for their policies. I just wish she had not included Kim in the dialogue. Kim was a mother hen to the players. She protected Britney over and over and had her back after BG slugged the Tech girl. Kim loved Britney and only wanted the best for her. The story that was created about Kim being anti-gay couldn't be further from the truth. I know otherwise.

BU should welcome Britney back to campus and have a celebration with Kim at mid court. Many of the players you see today came to BU because of the Britney Griner influence.

I agree!! She hurt Kim.
bowdedg
For what it's worth, Britney visited Mulkey a few months back. Their relationship seems to be just fine.
Chibears2
The BOOK hurt Kim. How is it that we fans can experience what our school just went through, with isolated, out of context quotations and statistics, with interpretations of events by writers who either have an agenda or a vested stake in manipulating the perception of their readers, and with social media pulling out what they want to hear and flooding the content with what THEY want to story to be, and not realize that maybe, just may be, the same thing happened here?

I can imagine that there were times, that BG as a gay person did feel uncomfortable here. I can image and understand that though Kim might not have cared about Grinner's sexuality, she no doubt absolutely cared about her program and its image, and in seeking to protect it, as a head coach should, Grinner probably felt pressure to do or not do certain things that most other college kids take for granted... finding and embracing your true self, who you are out from under your parents' thumb; holding hands with someone you are starting a new relationship with and all the intoxication that comes with that; not having to measure every word and casual action lest someone be offended and run to the coaching staff.

I think a writer with an agenda (and let me be clear, I have the highest regard for professional journalists and a world in which the fourth estate doesn't exist scares the crap out of me, as we have examples around the world of how dangerous that can be, but I know a little about the writer...) sat down to have a conversation with BG about her life. I think some of BG's frustration with some of the above things came out in those conversations. I bet some really nice stories to counterbalance those came out, as well. The writer and the publisher decided what they wanted the focus to be. The book was not bad, but definitely, it was decided that Brittney would be portrayed as an LGBT person who had to overcome all these awful influences and people in her life (including her father) to become a survivor.

I know her life had to have been difficult, but the thing I remember most about Brittney was how much she enjoyed life and how most of the Baylor fans gravitated to her and pulled for her, because they valued her as a person and as one of their own BU family, despite whatever religious convictions they might have had. It's a shame THAT couldn't have been the main story....

Not getting into debate about what's right or wrong, Christian or not Christian, and not judging someone for their position on homosexuality... just pointing out what BG's side of the story might be and that I don't think she went after Kim or Baylor with intention of hurting her. A 20 something year old would NOT have been in control of the narrative in a for profit book, in my estimation.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.