WNBA draft

6,354 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On the strength of her 4 point performance on 1-8 shooting, coupled with a defensive outing that saw Chloe blow past her from 15 feet out for the game winning layup, Jackie Young goes #1 overall.

Asia Durr #2.
Meladee
Thought Kalani might go at the 5th pick to Dallas, oh well
BaylorBears_254
Is Jackie Young really that good? How the hell did she go #1 over Durr and others?
Meladee
Wow, LA Sparks, I might be able make a game.
Eball
I said in a pre game post that Young was their best player. Maybe I should have said most talented. Her role on team was down played by other strong players. Our length inside was tough for her and our defense from juicy should not be overlooked.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Shocked that Asia wasn't No. 1
whitetrash
None of the 6 picked above KB shot better than 42% when they faced us (MCCowan was 3-7 in 2017, Agunbowale 11-27 this year)
jdrs
Kalani goes #7 to Los Angeles
Meladee
I think Young was a better pick than Durr.
Meladee
Indiana will look back and regret taking McCowan over Brown.
slimecap

Meladee
Chloe went 15 overall to Chicago Sky.
WacoKelly83
Chicago - Chloe!
AirBear
.....And before the ESPN player of the year who is sitting at the draft. Oh my!!
DFW Bill
Chloe Jackson to Chicago, the 3rd choice in the 2nd round, 15 th overall.

Great!
HoustonBear15
Jackie Young's height makes her really versatile. Can handle the ball and shoot as guard but also can rebound really well and bang down low in the post. She is Notre Dame's best player, regardless of the performance in championship.

Happy for Chloe. Her great season payed off.
EasyE
whitetrash said:

On the strength of her 4 point performance on 1-8 shooting, coupled with a defensive outing that saw Chloe blow past her from 15 feet out for the game winning layup, Jackie Young goes #1 overall.

Asia Durr #2.

Yeah, I had no idea before reading the prognostications that Young was so well thought of. She was basically an afterthought in the championship.
gobears20
Staff
slimecap

4th and Inches
Meladee said:

not sure why they picked McCowan so high... her size isnt gonna matter that much in the pros
Wineguy89
Gruvin said:

Meladee said:

not sure why they picked McCowan so high... her size isnt gonna matter that much in the pros

Did you really just say that out loud? If she wasn't that tall and good in the post she wouldnt have been picked at all?? That's like saying BG or KB's size doesn't matter..,,,SMH unless you can explain the bizarre-ness away please...
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
HoustonBear15
Gruvin said:

Meladee said:

I really don't think McCowan has that great of an offensive skill set. She definitely can't do the moves that Kalani has in her areaenal. She's a great defender but she's really quite clumsy and reckless on offense. If you watch her play she loses her footing and falls down multiple times a game. Her numbers come from offensive rebounds and putbacks. I was really hoping that we would play Mississippi State to see how she would do against Lauren and Kalani. I think she'll have trouble vs actual size.
Wineguy89
HoustonBear15 said:

Gruvin said:

Meladee said:

I really don't think McCowan has that great of an offensive skill set. She definitely can't do the moves that Kalani has in her areaenal. She's a great defender but she's really quite clumsy and reckless on offense. If you watch her play she loses her footing and falls down multiple times a game. Her numbers come from offensive rebounds and putbacks. I was really hoping that we would play Mississippi State to see how she would do against Lauren and Kalani. I think she'll have trouble vs actual size.

Agree on both fronts. McCowan is not nearly as skilled or "quick" and Kalani offensively. She is a little better defender but possibly viewed as such because Lauren took so much heat away from KB for us (literally and statistically).

Was really hoping we got MSU in the FF because Oregon was a pain in the butt matchup and I thought we'd smash MSU which would paint Kalini even better!!
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
4th and Inches
Wineguy89 said:

Gruvin said:

Meladee said:

Did you really just say that out loud? If she wasn't that tall and good in the post she wouldnt have been picked at all?? That's like saying BG or KB's size doesn't matter..,,,SMH unless you can explain the bizarre-ness away please...
I assume we're both Baylor fan so don't take this the wrong way but you're reading comprehension skills are lacking

Height not matter that much doesnt equal not matter at all... she may prove me wrong but in the past she has played against size occasionally and dominated against lesser opponents. As you pointed out, she will see other big girls like BG and KB almost nightly in the pros. Her post move skill set is limited
possible12
gobears20 said:

I dvr'd the draft, but first round was over when the recording began? Was Dish schedule wrong or did I miss by an hour?
CavalryRoadie
Gustafson was 17th overall pick.

Some Iowa fans are freaking out, saying the draft was rigged (yes, they said "rigged").

Sixth forward picked. That's got to hurt, after being named POY in college ball - not even the first forward picked?
Meladee
CavalryRoadie said:

Gustafson was 17th overall pick.

Some Iowa fans are freaking out, saying the draft was rigged (yes, they said "rigged").

Sixth forward picked. That's got to hurt, after being named POY in college ball - not even the first forward picked?
Oh, that's rich. Yeah, WNBA has better talent evaluators, sorry Iowa. Looking forward to the state of Iowa back to obscurity in WBB next year.

Meladee
possible12 said:

gobears20 said:

I dvr'd the draft, but first round was over when the recording began? Was Dish schedule wrong or did I miss by an hour?
The first hour was ESPN2. Then moved to ESPNU
Meladee
Couple press conference tidbits from the Sparks. They know they got a steal at 7

Meladee
Gruvin said:

Wineguy89 said:

Gruvin said:

Meladee said:

I assume we're both Baylor fan so don't take this the wrong way but you're reading comprehension skills are lacking

Height not matter that much doesnt equal not matter at all... she may prove me wrong but in the past she has played against size occasionally and dominated against lesser opponents. As you pointed out, she will see other big girls like BG and KB almost nightly in the pros. Her post move skill set is limited
I 100% agree with Gruvin. Saw a couple of games with McCowan and she's what Mulkey likes to call a "Slug". She doesn't move her feet well. She does very little on the offensive end. She's a good shot blocker but got very exposed by Oregon when they forced her to guard on the perimeter. Almost every team has a 6'7" or 6'8" player. McCowan hasn't had to face players her size who mostly move better than she does. It's possible she gets a lot of good coaching and improves. Today, she's not nearly as good as Kalani.

Indiana made a huge mistake picking her over Kalani but it works for me because it's only about 45 to an hour for me to fly down to LA to watch her play.
willtalk
I agree that McCowan is limited offensively. However,teams often pick for team needs. If a team feels defense and rebounding are a bigger need than more offense than they might prefer McCowan. I believe that that is what the team that picked McCowan said. The chose her because of her defense and rebounding. Actually this years draft was filled with a lot of players of similar talent and the picks were more often than not done based on a teams priority. Brown is better off with LA anyway. She will be surrounded by talent so there will be less pressure on her. That is unless LA still works out a trade with Dallas for Cambage and she ends up in Dallas as part of that trade.
ladybears4eva
I was on twitter heckling isu and iowa fans over their players of the year.... being drafted so low
ladybears4eva
ladybears4eva
I have a feeling she might be traded for cambage.
slimecap

WNBA Seattle Storm Head Coach Dan Hughes Diagnosed With Cancer

April 19, 2019

"Hughes will undergo surgery performed by Dr. Amir Bastawrous at the Swedish First Hill Campus prior to the team's 2019 season opener. No further timetable will be given at this time.

In his first year at the helm of the Storm, Hughes guided the team to a league-best 26-8 record en route to the 2018 WNBA Championship. Hughes today released a video statement addressing his diagnosis."

- storm.wnba.com
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.