Baylor Head Coach Kim Mulkey Would Welcome White House Visit

28,239 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Saddle Up!
BiPolarBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/11/baylor-kim-mulkey-white-house-invite-president-trump

Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey says she would like an invitation to the White House, if President Donald Trump offered it to her team.

Trump sent his congratulations to Baylor after the Bears beat Notre Dame 8281 in the National Championship on Sunday, saying "Congratulations to the Baylor Lady Bears on their amazing win last night against Notre Dame to become the 2019 NCAA Women's Basketball National Champions!"

Twice before has Mulkey's teams been to the White House. Once in 2005 and another time in 2012 when Baylor won national titles.
WacoKelly83
And then comes the hate...
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/ny-kim-mulkey-baylor-trump-20190411-jsdhdo7smrcovn3re4lpvk64aq-story.html

"Trump hasn't invited a single women's championship team, college or pro, to the White House.

"Why would you ever want to visit someone who's made it clear they don't want you to?"
Meladee
WacoKelly83 said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/ny-kim-mulkey-baylor-trump-20190411-jsdhdo7smrcovn3re4lpvk64aq-story.html

"Trump hasn't invited a single women's championship team, college or pro, to the White House.

"Why would you ever want to visit someone who's made it clear they don't want you to?"
Pure hit piece. On the positive side I pointed out that Muffett had recently hired a couple of men on her staff and he blocked me.
historian
Politically motivated trash. It's not worth the time it would take to read any further. On a funny note, though, this writer does what the headline accuses Mulkey of doing!
BuinmyBlood
Pretty much all I had to see was New York in the website address and I knew it wasn't going to be worth reading.
historian
BuinmyBlood said:

Pretty much all I had to see was New York in the website address and I knew it wasn't going to be worth reading.
Good point. Except: the New York Post (created by Alexander Hamilton, I believe) sometimes has some decent reporting. It's better than most newspapers in America but that's not saying much.
Media Bear
historian said:

BuinmyBlood said:

Good point. Except: the New York Post (created by Alexander Hamilton, I believe) sometimes has some decent reporting. It's better than most newspapers in America but that's not saying much.
Umm ... not so much. They've long committed themselves to snark-style (think TMZ) reporting and have a lengthy history of unethical practices. As a result, many of their contemporaries do not take NYP all that seriously.

historian
Media Bear said:

historian said:

BuinmyBlood said:

Umm ... not so much. They've long committed themselves to snark-style (think TMZ) reporting and have a lengthy history of unethical practices. As a result, many of their contemporaries do not take NYP all that seriously.

Maybe I haven't looked at it enough. I was basing my conclusions on personal experience. Every time I've looked at their reporting in recent memory it was pretty good. Maybe the original generalization was more accurate. Then again, sometimes snark/sarcasm is informative and entertaining.
Johnny Bear
The invitation is the President's perogative, but I'm glad Mulkey has made it clear that it would be accepted if it's extended. If it comes to fruition it would be a great experience for the team and coaching staff.
Media Bear
historian said:

Media Bear said:

historian said:

BuinmyBlood said:

Maybe I haven't looked at it enough. I was basing my conclusions on personal experience. Every time I've looked at their reporting in recent memory it was pretty good. Maybe the original generalization was more accurate. Then again, sometimes snark/sarcasm is informative and entertaining.
They play to a certain audience, which at times results in extreme sensationalism (see below) and jeopardizes the balance an outlet like the Post should bring to meaningful stories. Such shenanigans are not tolerated at most large metro newspapers (though some of those headlines have become legendary). Yes, the Post has some decent journalists who do decent work. But not near enough.

BylrFan
i hope trump extends the invite, these women deserve it
vanillabryce
WacoKelly83 said:

It's the NY Daily News. It's what they do.
historian
Media Bear said:

historian said:

Media Bear said:

historian said:

BuinmyBlood said:

They play to a certain audience, which at times results in extreme sensationalism (see below) and jeopardizes the balance an outlet like the Post should bring to meaningful stories. Such shenanigans are not tolerated at most large metro newspapers (though some of those headlines have become legendary). Yes, the Post has some decent journalists who do decent work. But not near enough.

Point taken. Unfortunately, all of that could be said for most major media outlets (the major networks, CNN, NYT, WaPo, etc). Each has produced trash/blatant propaganda which is why so many of them are losing viewers/readers.
EvilTroyAndAbed
historian said:

BuinmyBlood said:

NY Post is a tabloid celebrating sensationalized news, going subjective rather than objective. My assumption is you just agree with their subjectivity, so you mistake that as good reporting.
historian
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

historian said:

BuinmyBlood said:

NY Post is a tabloid celebrating sensationalized news, going subjective rather than objective. My assumption is you just agree with their subjectivity, so you mistake that as good reporting.
The media are subjective and increasingly too many are not even trying to be objective. Some at least, never tried to pretend they were. But when I read a news report that sounds more like an op-ed and not even based upon facts then I have doubts. I guess I have become about as cynical about many in the media as I have about many politicians.

My memory may be off, but I seem to remember reading some good articles in the NY Post. True, it often looks like a tabloid and some of their stuff is trash but I don't think that describes everything I've seen there. I've also seen plenty of trash in the NY Times, WaPo, etc. Too often the press act more like propagandists than providers of useful information.
ladybears4eva
The invite would be interesting... interesting to see which lady bears would decline the invitation.
Eball
I do not understand why people cannot separate the office of President and the particular person whoever it is in there, whether you voted for him or not...she took her team when a Republican was President and when a Democrat was President. If you don't like the President go out and get someone else elected next election...but once elected we should all show the office respect.
ScottS
Is this gonna happen?
willtalk
WacoKelly83 said:

I would be more appropriate to say-- Why would you invite a team who made it clear they would refuse your invitation. As I remember it. Every one of those Womens teams made it clear, early on, that they would not go if they were invited.
bunation
historian said:

Politically motivated trash. It's not worth the time it would take to read any further. On a funny note, though, this writer does what the headline accuses Mulkey of doing!

Funny...that's the point I made (among others ) when I sent him an email.
bunation
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

historian said:

BuinmyBlood said:

And what NY paper has "good reporting?"
historian
bunation said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

historian said:

BuinmyBlood said:

And what NY paper has "good reporting?"
Or anywhere else?

To be fair, I do sometimes see decent reporting in lots of news outlets including (gasp!) the NY Times--but only when it is something that is not the remotely political.

Too many members of the press (especially WH press corps) are just laughable. It's almost Pavlovian. In the 1990s someone would say "Clinton" and they almost seemed to be drooling, then it was "Obama" and now it's both. If someone says "Trump" the reaction resembles vomit or diarrhea, metaphorically speaking. They are so predictable it is sometimes funny.
Jack Bauer
Mulkey saying she would hire the best person for the job is MORE controversial than Muffett flat out saying she would not hire a man to coach? What world are we living in?
Jacques Strap
Well... he won't be writing anymore stories like this at the NYDailyNews

Quote:

@carronJphillips 5h5 hours ago
More

A bit of personal news.

This is my last week at the @NYDailyNews @NYDNSports

Later in the week I'll give some shoutouts/discuss what's next.

But for now, and the next few days, I'm gonna retweet some old columns, as this has been a life changing ride.

Scout Bear
You guys are powerful. A few little tweets from ya'll and they fire the guy!
Scout Bear
Besides, who needs this guy? We have some of the best newspaper and tv reporters in the country right here in Waco! They will always look for the truth...

/s/
Dcheetah
Sounds like we are going! Good. I hope they have a great visit. Maybe going with UVA team this weekend.

https://sicem365.com/forums/1/topics/45524
bowdedg
bowdedg
BylrFan
Well deserved! Sic Em Bears
Timbear
Awesome! Kim gets it done!
blackie
Trump should mind his tongue and Twitter finger. He would be no match for Mulk. -
Timbear
I think they will get along just fine.
Jack Bauer
Fast food at the White House, it better be Whataburger.
Old300Bear
I doubt Mulkey even reads twitter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.