The Fierce Five Freshmen and other large #1 classes

4,429 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ScottS
WIBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some posters have questioned whether Kim will be able to keep our five Freshmen at Baylor for all four years. For comparison purposes, does anyone recall what other schools have experienced regarding retention when bringing in large recruiting classes?
bear67retired
Well, one example might be Notre Dame, just graduated 4 in the same class.
3rdgenbear
Oregon had a class of 6 or more that came in with Ionescu, I believe. Four still remain, though Lydia Giomi redshirted her freshman year and Yeager redshirted her sophmore year. I think getting the Sabally sisters in the following year led to some attrition in their 2016 class, though there could have been other factors. Mallory McGwire was the most significant departure at 6' 5".
Stryker
bear67retired said:

Well, one example might be Notre Dame, just graduated 4 in the same class.

Not a class we'd want to emulate. One was redshirted fifth year player, one was a three year player, and one transfer in. Only one was part of Notre Dames' 2015 class. The other two in the 2015 class transferred out.
bawitdaball
Wouldn't surprise me if 1 or 2 transfer out. Not a big deal - they came to Baylor and will get there chance to earn playing time. If they don't - and they feel they can and want to at another university - it is for them to do. DeCosta, SHG and Bickle were all plagued by injuries though, hurting their freshman minutes - I hope they all stick it out and help to build the team and the program - but I currently see Smith, Egbo and Decosta as the main contributors from the class this coming year - all of which will depend on the potential transfers in. Baylor is a great program, and I would hope that they all want to excel on the biggest stage.

They won't admit it, but I'd be shocked if either Chou or Montpremier aren't a bit sad they transferred out - and yes, I'm sure they are both super happy where they are at - but I also bet they both really would like for Baylor to have been a good fit for them so they could have been on that big stage.
Dcheetah
Similar to your post, I sure hope all of them stay and find their role. I wouldn't be surprised to see HSG take on a bigger role too if she can get back to pre-injury status. Anyone remember what her injury was or is the brace precautionary?
bawitdaball
Getting her back to pre-injury status will be key. I honestly wouldn't mind her being a "Moon" like player and giving the team a spark when needed. She has the potential, just whether it can be channeled. And I know defense is hard when there is a leg injury involved. Just ask Oliver - it wouldn't surprise me at all if she opted to transfer. She's had an unlucky streak at Baylor with injury - and her position is getting more crowded every year.
3rdgenbear
Perhaps some have more in depth understanding than I, but I think HSG has lived up to all of Baylor's expectations, and certainly, Baylor should have lived up to hers. She came in expecting a 3 year lock at PG with Morris. Also, she would have expected to be behind Juicy, Chou and Moon at the 2 and backup PG. Her stock rose with the Morris and Chou departures. She also got to learn from one of the greatest competitors in Baylor history, Chloe Jackson, and win a Nat'l Championship.

She and the other freshmen are going to have an awesome upcoming year and compete for another one.
gone to Tickfaw
HSG seems to be a very confident shooter... and a beautiful 3 point stroke
baylor1984
Play well enough that you force Kim to play you. That's what all the fierce 5 need to do next year. Kim is going play and do what's best for the team. Stay here and play for conference and national championship or championships or transfer and . who knows.
bearup
Key is for allof them to be able slide those feet, fight over screens and play defense as well as Juicy, Moon, and DD did their second seasons. Play defense for Mulkey and you will get your minutes.
Double D
Yes they are probably thinking about that National Championship Ring that they could have had!
Lone Star
bawitdaball said:

They won't admit it, but I'd be shocked if either Chou or Montpremier aren't a bit sad they transferred out - and yes, I'm sure they are both super happy where they are at - but I also bet they both really would like for Baylor to have been a good fit for them so they could have been on that big stage.
Would agree. Nothing beats a NC and I would have to believe that the freshman now have a taste of that and a FF that would make them want to stay and try and do it again. I also believe that anyone wanting to transfer INTO our program would see the potential of our freshman class and want to come in and help reach that goal of a FF and NC.

EvilTroyAndAbed
Lone Star said:

bawitdaball said:

Would agree. Nothing beats a NC.

If you're unhappy where you are (for a myriad of reasons on and off the court), then no, there are plenty of things that beat being on a NC team.
Lone Star
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Lone Star said:

bawitdaball said:

Would agree. Nothing beats a NC.

If you're unhappy where you are (for a myriad of reasons on and off the court), then no, there are plenty of things that beat being on a NC team.
Who ever said Chou and Montpremier were unhappy? I will speculate that their transfers were not because they were "unhappy" but maybe because they saw their PT was not going to be any greater then what they currently had.
Eball
I guess if we are going to lose anyone to transfer we will know soon...is there any deadline to entering the trade portal? Now with all the festivities over and school semester winding down...one on one interviews with Coach...if anyone wants to go they will put name in portal...might be the wrong thread to discuss but was a bit surprised to hear some of Kim's comments lately about Chou transferring and that her decision was a surprise and that she was penciled in as a starter for this year. Funny how things change and don't quite work out the way you think they will...Chou and Morris at end of last year were thought to be starters on this years team which would have changed things up...of course if Chou had stayed we may not have taken Jackson...then if we lost Morris we would have had to likely go with Juicy as our primary PG and Didi...
ScottS
I hope this class stays for 4 years and wins 4 nattys!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.