Toyelle Wilson leaving?

10,336 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ScottS
bowdedg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone heard about Toyelle Wilson leaving Baylor? Found the below comment on Twitter from Raoul:

Looks like the new Michigan WBB assistant coach will be Toyelle Wilson, who has been on the Baylor staff the last six seasons; former head coach at Prairie View A&M; native of Voorhees, New Jersey

slimecap
Coach Wilson's twitter account address has changed. Also, the address no longer includes the phrase "BU".
DFW Bill
The Michigan Head Coach is Kim Arico Barnes, a friend of Kim Mulkey's. Barnes has done a good job at Michigan, she was previously at St Johns, another successful stay. Mulkey and Barnes both had children while coaching and Mulkey always has positive things to say about Arico Barnes.

I have no insight as to the reason for this possible job change for Toyelle. Wilson did a terrific job at Baylor.
WacoKelly83
Just spitballin. Maybe the move is precipitated by family matters. New baby. Maybe closer to family. I know she's from Jersey but ya never know the dynamic.
bowdedg
Kim Barnes "liked" Raoul's tweet. Between that and Toyelle changing her Twitter, I have to assume it's true. Surely hate to lose her.
MrGolfguy
It's true, she gone
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Wineguy89
Really hate to lose her but we did win the Natty while she was on maternity leave so certainly not insurmountable for the staff. Maybe this leads to a promotion for someone deserving internally?
Chibears2
Will be interesting to see what happens with that position. Is it an outside hire or a promotion for someone already on staff? Wish Jazz Player hadn't already taken job with OU....
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Chibears2 said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with that position. Is it an outside hire or a promotion for someone already on staff? Wish Jazz Player hadn't already taken job with OU....
OU or KU?
Dcheetah
Jazz is KU
Dcheetah
Was Toyelle or Sytia considered more responsible for our uptick in recruiting? Thought it was Toyelle but not sure. We will need a great replacement but I'm sure Kim will do that.
bowdedg
bowdedg

https://mgoblue.com/news/2019/5/20/womens-basketball-wilson-joins-michigan-staff.aspx
Wineguy89
Dcheetah said:

Was Toyelle or Sytia considered more responsible for our uptick in recruiting? Thought it was Toyelle but not sure. We will need a great replacement but I'm sure Kim will do that.

Seems Sytia was on all the big (and talked about) recruiting trips last year (HVL trips) and I'd heard she is the one who knows the exact type of players Kim wants and goes and gets them. IE: Fierce Five. Again though, I've heard this (probably here) but don't KNOW that and would love confirmation!!
BaylorBears_254
Pretty good loss but we still have some great coaches and above all MULKEY.

Kim will either replace her or promote someone within. Not worried
DFW Bill
Toyelle WIlson brought in some great Lady Bears as did Sytia Messer. Together they were very successful and Baylor benefited, to say which one was better you would have to ask Kim.

I thank Toyelle for her time at Baylor and wish her well as Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Michigan.

She and the Michigan coach have know each other for a long time and they are both Jersey Girls!
slimecap

High School recruit Aquira DeCosta & Coach Toyelle Wilson

One of my favorite memories was when Coach Wilson joined a group of 37 Baylor fans as we cheered on Odyssey Sims at a WNBA Dallas Wings game. Her enthusiastic personality was energizing !

Best wishes to Coach Wilson as she continues her journey in Michigan. I appreciate her contributions in recruiting and training Lady Bears for Big 12 championships & a National Championship.
RitaRivas
Dcheetah said:

Both. Look at the pics that recruits posted and the tweets they "liked". Tia and Toyelle were a great tandem to market the Baylor name on Kim's behalf.
GarlandBear84
I love the mention of Jhasmine Player. Even though she recently took the KU assistant job that wouldn't prevent her from taking this job. Head coaches understand when an assistant receives a dream offer. ADs understand this as well. For example Chris Beard left for the TT job shortly after taking another job.
slimecap

gone to Tickfaw
Bummer. Loved her. Such an enthusiast n promoter for BU. Just odd she wasn't at FF.
We'll know who was the recruiter if any of the players follow her to Ann Arbor
Old300Bear
No info, just a guess on my part, but I think Kalyn Shillinglaw ( went blank on her married name) moves up.
Fred Barber
DFW Bill
Married name is Rice.
slimecap
Old300Bear said:

No info, just a guess on my part, but I think Kalyn Shillinglaw ( went blank on her married name) moves up.
I would hope a former WNBA player with possibly some international player experience would be selected.
Top recruits are looking for an avenue to professional basketball jobs.
Heart
I sure liked Toyelle and hope for an excellent replacement
greggor25
When can we get Melissa Jones in here?
GarlandBear84
greggor25 said:

Well, she already lives in Waco, but isn't in coaching.
BiPolarBear
Is Women's Basketball the only D1 Sport that has a 3 to 4 (75%) Staff to Player Ratio? It seems Football wants to increase staff but really?
Chibears2
Sorry about brain fart on Player at OU... Knew it was KU, but I had just been catching up on Jackie Stiles to OU thread the other day and conflated my info. Happening more frequently as I age, darn it!
slimecap

greggor25
GarlandBear84 said:

greggor25 said:

Sh's no longer Colorado?
GarlandBear84
greggor25 said:

GarlandBear84 said:

greggor25 said:

Sh's no longer Colorado?

No. Moved to Waco to work for a local car dealership in marketing I think.
slimecap
Miss the enthusiasm of Coach Wilson's twitter feed.
ScottS
Too cold in Michigan
slimecap
#35 HoopGurlz Cameron Williams makes verbal commit to Michigan.
Louisville was one of her Top 5 finalists.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.