Gustafson waived by the Wings

8,654 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bawitdaball
HoustonBear15
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Has a college player of the year ever not made a WNBA roster?
ladybears4eva
Very peculiar... so she was supposed to be so fast and athletic that kalani couldnt guard her in the elite 8.... guess it was just the big ten conference who couldn't guard her.
TXtoCO
She put up big numbers but did anyone really think she was the best player in WCBB?
HustleBear
I did. Though I'm not surprised she was waived. The WNBA as an organization is a joke!
Big Bear
She is not nor ever will be WNBA post. Show me one now, not even a 6'-4" She cannot guard a larger post. Pro ball is even more physical than NCAA.
BaylorBears_254
She was not that good in my opinion.

Might as well go overseas tho
HustleBear
Are you kidding me? She was an absolute beast. She was deserving of every accolade she received. Believe you me, I tried to hate, but game recognize game!
BaylorBears_254
Ehhh, I just didn't see it, and I also didn't see it translating to the next level.

I've seen a lot of beast in college, but when it comes to the next level, they flop. Sometimes your game aint as good as you think
HustleBear
I never said her game would translate to the next level. But what she did at Iowa was completely legit.
Alfred Anchorsen
She was ok.
CavalryRoadie
She might make it to the WNBA if she improves on defense. Europe and Asia beckon.
fredbear
She was a good player, but not nearly as good as her stats. All this goes to show the selection process should involve more than stat comparisons. On bu team she would have played behind both Lauren and Kalani and received moderate playing time. On so so team she stepped up and did all the scoring. National player should be much more than points per game. Is she a standout on a strong team? She she a standout in a strong league? Would she look like the best player if she played at BU or Uconn?
CavalryRoadie
I feel bad about Gustafson not getting her record-breaking double-double against Baylor.

OK...not that bad.
Dcheetah
She was a great college player. She dominated a lot of teams. Still doesn't mean she is a startup WNBA player. I still wouldn't be surprised to see her end up there if she continues to improve.
BaylorBears_254
Look, I just wasn't impressed.
Chibears2
I agree. Sometimes a great college career by a very good player doesn't translate into a dominant player in WNBA, but sometimes, a player not making a team is more indicative of a poor fit with a team's needs or a lack of development of all-around skills that there is no opportunity to work on in the WNBA. Positions are too limited to take up a spot with a player not quite ready to go.

I hope she can find success. I think as a person, she is the kind of individual one would like as a teammate.
Texasjeremy
A lot of good college players don't translate. Look at our own LaceDarius Dunn, Baylor's all-time leading scorer and was the Big 12's all-time leading scorer (before being nudged out by Buddy Hield). He has been playing overseas but never sniffed the NBA.
bawitdaball
Texasjeremy said:

A lot of good college players don't translate. Look at our own LaceDarius Dunn, Baylor's all-time leading scorer and was the Big 12's all-time leading scorer (before being nudged out by Buddy Hield). He has been playing overseas but never sniffed the NBA.
Men and women are entirely different - as is the NBA and WNBA - these two can't be compared in this situation - it is apples and oranges.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
HustleBear said:

I never said her game would translate to the next level. But what she did at Iowa was completely legit.
Sort of like Cherokee Parks, Christian Laettner, Danny Ferry, Bobby Hurley, or old Duke in general (minus Grant Hill)
HoustonBear15
fredbear said:

She was a good player, but not nearly as good as her stats. All this goes to show the selection process should involve more than stat comparisons. On bu team she would have played behind both Lauren and Kalani and received moderate playing time. On so so team she stepped up and did all the scoring. National player should be much more than points per game. Is she a standout on a strong team? She she a standout in a strong league? Would she look like the best player if she played at BU or Uconn?
Kinda hard to say. Imagine if she had some time with Baylor coaching. Who knows where her game would be at that point.

Y'all she was a great college player. Put up spectacular numbers. Had 23 points against us which is not easy to do. I believe she was deserving of player of the year. But WNBA is not college and we all know that. Look at Nina Davis. I think a lot of the WNBA teams knew it too which is why she dropped so low in the draft. I'm sure she'll have some luck internationally.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
She was not going to improve her height or athleticism. Imagine her going up against Griner, Cambage, Fowles, etc... down low.

Rebecca Lobo didn't have a stellar WNBA career either.
HustleBear
Brian Ethridge said:

HustleBear said:

Sort of like Cherokee Parks, Christian Laettner, Danny Ferry, Bobby Hurley, or old Duke in general (minus Grant Hill)
Even more like Tyler Hansbrough (UNC)

Cherokee Park doesn't belong on that list. In comparison to those other guys, he was trash.
RBW 67
Different sport, but there is a lengthy list of Heisman winners who could not play in the NFL.
Hairy Bear
One way to look at this is wonder if we have enough great players to see an expansion of the WNBA.
HustleBear
There are more than enough good players for expansion.The WNBA would love to expand! But it's kind of hard to find people that are willing to take a loss on their investment.

Strictly from a talent perspective, the WNBA could easily absorb 2 to 3 more teams.
geewago
The WNBA needs a bigger paying TV contract. At this time of year with no Football or Basketball going on, most folks for some unexplainable reason would rather listen to a re-run of Steven A regurgitating about some mistake the manager of the Jets made than to watch a good Womens Pro Basketball game.
HustleBear
Yeah but that won't happen for the reason you stated and that's just one of many.
slimecap

A lot of planets have to align to obtain a rookie roster spot in the WNBA
Just saw Brooke McCarty-Williams make back-to-back 3s for the Dallas Wings. Same team that cut Gustafson. Brooke was not drafted a year ago. Two WNBA training camps later, Brooke makes a WNBA team.
TXtoCO
Does anyone remember Natalie Butler, who dominated the Big 10 but couldn't find the court at UCONN?
HustleBear
I think you might have the wrong conference?
TXtoCO
HustleBear said:

I think you might have the wrong conference?
Yep! She was in the Big East.
slimecap

slimecap

June 13, 2019

"We are excited to bring Megan back to the Dallas Wings organization," Dallas Wings President & CEO Greg Bibb stated. "We are currently dealing with a series of roster challenges and we are fortunate to have the opportunity to sign a player of Megan's character and ability."
HustleBear
Good for her! It's too bad she can't play PG though.
Chibears2
Glad to hear this. She seems like a good person who loves the game. People like that make great teammates!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.